Is worth getting Fallout 3 on ps3?

Tomato

Okay if you read just the topic title you may misunderstand this entire thread and call me names, for the record I played Fallout 3 and New Vegas for pc and I am very aware of what great game it is. My real reason of starting this thread is because I was recently going to buy a copy of the game for the PS3 but came to find out from various sources the game has lot's issues on the ps3 copy, so I guess what I am asking is are these issues a real problem? If yes is it still worth getting the game? 

p.s. if anyone wonders why I am considering picking a ps3 copy since I already done it on pc is because I want the trophies for it ._. 

I first played it on PS3 back in 2008. Loved the game, and spent about 60 hours platinuming it. However, It was riddled with bugs and glitches, and there's a very egregious issue with the save files (after a while the game becomes almost unplayable, much like Skyrim on PS3.)

I then bought the GOTY Edition last year on PC, and without being too hyperbolic: it's a million times better on PC. Do yourself a favour and play it there. Better controls, better inventory management, and you have the ability to fix anything that goes wrong. I've put over 150 hours into the PC version, doing practically everything the game has to offer. I don't even own a proper gaming PC - I was able to run it on my very low budget laptop (2.53ghz, 3GB RAM, Intel HD graphics)

EDIT: Okay, I missed the P.S. part of your post. I'd would say skip Fallout 3 on PS3 - it's not worth the hassle just for trophies, especially if you've already experienced the superior PC version.

Edited by Jon_Bright

I was very dissapointed with my experience with Fallout 3 on the ps3. I had numerous crashes, freezes and framerate issues. It just wasn't worth it to me, but then again, I feel the game is overhyped. If you like Fallout as much as you say you do, you may be able to see past all the problems.

I think it's worth getting. I've played through it several times and the game only froze twice on me and never had corrupted save data issues or the like. It has the odd problems with framerate, but nothing that I'd consider game-breaking. I also played the pc version of the game, and personally I prefer the ps3 version.

I'd say definitely get it, yes the game has issues but it's nowhere near as bad as Fallout New Vegas.

Fallout 3 is a great game one of my all time fav games on PS3 to date. I always go back and play it on my 2nd PS3 my current play time right now is 952 hours. So that must tell you the game is good as I wouldn't put that much time in to a game if it were bad.

For the problems side there's nothing too bad there, a bit of frame rate issues here and there nothing major, just remember to save a lot because the game can and will freeze on you although I never had any problems at all in my 952 hours with the game it's never frozen on me so maybe I'm lucky. 

So no the issues aren't a real problem or weren't for me, however Fallout New Vegas as good as it is. The slow motion, the fame rate issues really don't make it fun to platinum.

Edited by Medusa

It is a spectacular game but it's issues on freezing and frame rates have not be patched. Easy platinum if your willing to work through numerous freezes and possibly getting extremely frustrated. Could be me but I had nothing but problems with freezing at all the wrong times.

If you only look to achieve Platinum you shouldn't get into too many problems. It freezes, but it's acceptable.

If you try to finish all DLC too, it might get almost unplayable at the end. At least that was my experience. I barely managed to finish the last 2 levels, thanks to frame rate and freezes.

Never touched a Bethesda game again on the PS3 since then. I'm really glad that I played Skyrim on the PC instead.

• 2 months later...

I got the below advice from CAG.  While I haven't played the game yet; I will soon. And I plan on following his advice about saving.  I hope this is helpful for others.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10728002#post10728002
Posted by: Tonitus
On: 05-08-2013 11:52 PM

---Quote (Originally by Tsel)---
FWIW, I played through Fallout 3 and beat 2 of the DLCs and the main story and rarely encountered any glitches on the GOTY disc. The game literally only froze once and the only other glitch I ran into was actually beneficial and allowed me to sell an infinite amount of a very rare and expensive gun which thus equaled tons of money.
---End Quote---
I've researched the Fallout 3 GOTY/Fallout New Vegas/Skyrim PS3 issues quite a bit and I really believe they share a common root cause.  The Bethesda games are extremely memory intensive because every NPC is scripted (they carry on daily routines even when your character is not present) and every object in the world has to be tracked.  What this means is that the longer you play the game and the more territory/people/objects you discover, the more "cramped" the memory becomes on the PS3.  The game engine starts dynamically caching more of the memory to the hard drive and eventually you hit a point where the game starts stuttering and locks up.  When you add in DLC, the problem becomes much worse because not only is the DLC adding more NPCs and objects into the base game, but a player has usually progressed quite far into the base game by the time they are ready to tackle the DLC.

When it comes to Fallout 3 and its DLC, I really don't think it matters if you have the GOTY on disc or download the DLC individually if you are going to install all five DLC packs.  If you were to only install a few of the DLCs, then you probably would have better performance than the GOTY disc.  It's up to you.

There are a few things you can do to help the performance with this game if you have the DLCs installed:

1.  Turn off Auto Save.  The game engine has to track all of the NPCs while you fast travel (they move around just like you do) and this can cause lock ups.  Must manually save.

2.  Make sure your hard drive has extra free space before booting up the game for the first time.  The game installs the Game Data in the background once you start playing for the first time  (about 4 GB for a vanilla version, more for the GOTY).   If you do not have a lot of free space (at least 10GB I would think), then the game may have to save portions of this game data at several locations on the hard drive.  This fragmented data will make the hard drive access while playing more burdensome.  Also, it is a good idea to do very little in the game for the first 30-40 minutes and let the game data fully install in one block.

3.  Always make brand new saves every time you save.  For some unknown reason, the save game files grow larger when saving over old data than when making new saves.  More save data = more memory usage, so the smaller the save files the better.

4.  Turn off the PS3 internet connection before starting the game.  I don't really know if this helps, but some players swear by it.  It only takes a few seconds to do and it can't really hurt.

5.  And most important of all...whenever you start seeing a hint of slowdown or dropped frames, immediately save your game, quit, and power cycle the PS3 off and on.  This restart will clear out the cache and ease the memory burden on the game engine.  You should see an immediate improvement in the frame rate once you start the game back up.  When I played the Fallout 3 GOTY, I just reset my PS3 every hour or so.  It wasn't a really big deal.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

I never had any problems with it! Guess I was lucky ;-)

Same here, with the exception of when my save file got bigger than 10mb, but that is a standard issue with Bethesda games. Had the same issue with Fallout:NV, Oblivion and Skyrim . . .

• Like 1

If your buying for a plat yes (its really easy), however stick with the much better pc version

And if you don't have a PC capable of running Fallout 3? 

The console versions are fine, if the game interests you and all you have is a PS3 or 360 don't worry the game is still very playable. I haven't really ran into any issues in my Fallout 3 or New Vegas PS3 runs. 

Parker

And if you don't have a PC capable of running Fallout 3? 

The console versions are fine, if the game interests you and all you have is a PS3 or 360 don't worry the game is still very playable. I haven't really ran into any issues in my Fallout 3 or New Vegas PS3 runs. 

Parker

The topic poster said he has it on pc and wanted to switch to the console version.

The pc version is alot better then either console version with its mods and more updates, if you got a pc that's where Fallout should be played it, if its not possible the consoles suffice but they don't compete.

The topic poster said he has it on pc and wanted to switch to the console version.

The pc version is alot better then either console version with its mods and more updates, if you got a pc that's where Fallout should be played it, if its not possible the consoles suffice but they don't compete.

The OP stated he has already completed it on PC and wanted to know if the PS3 version was playable so he could earn the platinum. I agree that any Bethesda game should be played on PC, even if you don't plan on modding, but if you don't have a PC able to run the games, or you just want trophies like the OP, the console versions run just fine.

Parker

• 3 months later...

I used to spend at least 10hrs a day playing Fallout 3 via PS3, this causes over heating & crashes, so you need to keep the console cool & clean of dust. All fallout games & skyrim were similar in slow frame rate/stuttering & crashes, once your save file reaches a certain amount  e.g. 9Mg. its starts going ape-shit!

You'll need to make regular saves, which takes no time or real effort, so still worth getting. You may have to restart your console during play, once a day due to a major crash but its a good opportunity to grab a coffee or go for a toilet break :)

I had the G.O.T.Y. edition with all add ons, its a great game, you'll just have to manually save your progress more often than usual, it has auto-save too, thats handy!

Although not necessary you could try this: To minimise lag & crashes you could do the story & platinum it, then restart all over again, from the beginning, add the DLC & by-pass the main story until you absolutely have to do it, so your doing trophies in batches & not all in 1 playthrough, but absolutely NOT NECESSARY if you want to play all in 1 game file, just remember SAVE,SAVE,SAVE!!

• 2 weeks later...

The game locking up can be annoying when it happens but if you save periodically then you won't really lose too much if it happens. Unless the game just suddenly locks up, which can happen, it'll usually alert you beforehand by getting a lot of lag with very poor frame rate. Whenever that happens just stop immediately and save then exit the game. That'll clear out the memory and let you go right back into what you were doing before that happened.

• 6 months later...

I'd say definitely get it, yes the game has issues but it's nowhere near as bad as Fallout New Vegas.

Fallout 3 is a great game one of my all time fav games on PS3 to date. I always go back and play it on my 2nd PS3 my current play time right now is 952 hours. So that must tell you the game is good as I wouldn't put that much time in to a game if it were bad.

For the problems side there's nothing too bad there, a bit of frame rate issues here and there nothing major, just remember to save a lot because the game can and will freeze on you although I never had any problems at all in my 952 hours with the game it's never frozen on me so maybe I'm lucky. 

So no the issues aren't a real problem or weren't for me, however Fallout New Vegas as good as it is. The slow motion, the fame rate issues really don't make it fun to platinum.

Yup same, Fallout 3 might freeze after an hour or so.  That's acceptible for me, New Vegas, after about 5 minutes it would freeze, unacceptible.  Yes DLC included for both games. 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 6/27/2013 at 6:33 AM, bkjohns1 said:

I got the below advice from CAG.  While I haven't played the game yet; I will soon. And I plan on following his advice about saving.  I hope this is helpful for others.

This. I did similar. Just delete the game data (about 6gb for GOTY ed). Restart the game. If your save is in a town, load that save, exit the town, then press <start> to pause the game. This forces the installer of the game to keep installing rather than dribbling the install using multitasking. In other words, the whole game world gets installed in one shot and will take anywhere up to 30 minutes. Exit the game, then start playing.