Is worth getting Fallout 3 on ps3?

Tomato

This game is nearly unplayable on PS3. Went back for the platinum after many years, and... oh, horror!

The game crashes at least once every hour. Sometimes it's just closing and going back to the system menu without any error message. Other times you have to unplug you power cord for the console to restart.

The framerate is beyond unacceptable. If it wasn't for the VATS system, I wouldn't be able to hit anything with these 15 frames per second.

This platinum is a nightmare for me. Only today I had to restart my console 5 times and reload entire quests, losing hours of gameplay, because of glitches and crashes.

Don't.

Just don't. Bury it, burn it. It's not a game you should be playing on ps3, or on anything in 2018 as a matter of fact.

• 2 weeks later...

I started revisiting Fallout 3 for ps3 this month.  Be sure to press L2 + R2 + Square right after it says "loading trophies" and keep holding until you see logo and press start both disappear.  This clears game cache.  Also helps to delete ALL other save games and game data from ps3 besides Fallout 3 if you are still having trouble.

I'm not far off the plat just 4 missions left, I've fully explored nearly every location, and I'm playing on a PS3 with a 500gb HDD that's full and has 100s of saves files... I've had 0 issues. I took advice and turned off auto save and haven't used any energy weapons. 

• 1 month later...
On 18/7/2018 at 4:46 PM, NieSwiety said:

No if you are spoiled by modern 120fps 4K games. Yes if you accept the fact that FO3 is an older game and you are ok with it.

I rebought it like 3 weeks ago, and have a blast! :)

Totally agreed, i did it 100% this year and i loved it. 

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Yes 

of course. Just pick the game already don't worries and think about it there are no issue or major problem that block you from getting pops out the trophies I have great time playing this game and achieved100%   you will not 
Regrets 

• 10 months later...

FYI / FWIW, I bought the GOTY edition to replay this game after playing it on 360 years ago.

- I didn’t run into too many bugs/issues until roughly 7500kb on my save.

- I saved over old saves out of habit, inflating my file size. Don’t do that. Shame on me.

- Finished the main game and 3/5 DLCs at 10mb. Finished Broken Steel and MZ at 11.5mb. Maybe 12mb.

- The total # of freezes (freeze and reset PS3) was probably 10. The final mission of the game and final mission of Broken Steel were the most sluggish (processing the energy weapons + fire made my PS3 cry. I’d recommend you prioritize killing those enemies first).

- At times the game appeared frozen but I’d wait 30 seconds or in some cases ~2-3 minutes and it’d go from less than 1fps back to normal. I’d give it a chance before shutting off my PS3 and restarting. This happened probably 10-12 times where the issues smoothed out and I didn’t need to reset my PS3. 

- Save > exit game > load back in is a strategy I should’ve utilized more often to try to smooth out performance issues.

- I started deleting old saves around 9000kb so there’d be <10 saves in total. I also started to trust the auto save more late in the game, making it closer to 2-3 total saves in actuality.

- I’d recommend uploading old saves to the PS+ Cloud for peace of mind and keeping a low # of saves as noted above.

- I played several hours in a row. Didn’t worry about high hours. Also didn’t worry about collecting a lot of loot somehow inflating my save file size. I just played the game.

- The DLCs were quite fun. Never played them before.

- Mothership Zeta was absolutely terrible. 

- Seriously. Like F- bad.

That is all.

Edited by Wagszilla
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
46 minutes ago, JoocyMan said:

Hope I'm not necroing, but does anyone know if getting a physical copy over a digital one will help with the glitchyness?

Nope, all versions have the same inherent problems baked into them at a code level because of the garbage engine Bethesda uses so you're going to have issues regardless :(. The only way to play this game and have the fewest problems, is to play the PC version and mod the heck out of it.

You can manage the stability problems to a degree but there's no way to eradicate them. See my thread here for some tips: https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/topic/126870-fallout-3-advice-thread/

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

On 1/27/2021 at 3:12 PM, HuntingFever said:

You can manage the stability problems to a degree but there's no way to eradicate them. See my thread here for some tips: https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/topic/126870-fallout-3-advice-thread/

Thanks man, this looks incredibly useful. How about for New Vegas? I hear it's worse, but any chance you have a guide for managing the mess for that one?

10 minutes ago, JoocyMan said:

Thanks man, this looks incredibly useful. How about for New Vegas? I hear it's worse, but any chance you have a guide for managing the mess for that one?

Most of my FO3 tips also apply to NV but ultimately, there's very little you can do about the problems except cross your fingers and hope they're not too severe for you :(. Personally, I recommend avoiding New Vegas like the plague because the problems are too common and too annoying for the game to be even remotely fun. If you want to play any Bethesda game and have the fewest problems, your best bet is get them on PC then mod the hell out of them.

i wouldn't bother with fallout 3 tbh. the base game was ok but the dlc broke it and playing the dlc can cause all sorts of instabilities, best bet would be pc but even that has issues but fan patches help.

on a previous account i managed to plat FNV base game in only a couple days and no problems whatsoever, but that was pre dlc.

2 hours ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

i wouldn't bother with fallout 3 tbh. the base game was ok but the dlc broke it and playing the dlc can cause all sorts of instabilities, best bet would be pc but even that has issues but fan patches help.

on a previous account i managed to plat FNV base game in only a couple days and no problems whatsoever, but that was pre dlc.

I have to agree with this^. As much as I love Fallout 3, the PS3 version has an unacceptable amount of problems so I can't recommend buying it at all. If you must play it on a console, then get the Xbox 360 version since that runs a hell of a lot better - especially if you play it via Backwards Compatibility on an XB1 or Series X and install the 4K pack.

On 27/01/2021 at 9:12 PM, HuntingFever said:

Seeing that thread made me suddenly not want to play Fallout 3 and New Vegas. What a shame its this unstable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

Seeing that thread made me suddenly not want to play Fallout 3 and New Vegas. What a shame its this unstable.

Although there is a lot of underlying problems with the memory of both titles, they are definitely worth a casual play through at least (especially if you’re only rocking a PS3 with no access to Steam). I’ve played hours upon hours of both titles on the PS3 and always recommend my friends to play the Fallout 3 base disc with purchased DLC and the Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition disc, playing these editions seemed to give me the best experience/the least amount of crashes.

It saves money buying the Fallout 3 GOTY edition disc I’d imagine but it runs like crap. I highly doubt Bethesda will release remasters or remakes any time soon either—or at all—but even then they may becomeXbox exclusives. Once again, worth a shot and I wouldn’t let the bugs and crashes stop you from enjoying them. Hands down two of the best post apocalyptic RPGs ever made. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here I am getting all excited buying new copies of Fallout 3 and New Vegas for me to Platinum. But only to find out through these forums that these games run like crap on the PS3. While having the gaming experience ruined by crashes. I'm am completely saddened! ?

giphy.gif 

• 2 weeks later...

I played the Xbox 360 version initially when it launched in 2008 and invested a number of hours into it and all of the DLC. I’m now doing my second 100% run on PS3 (first played around 2011 on an older PSN account). This second time around I’m having a much better time.

The first time I played on PS3 I experienced a number of sound issues, a few crashes, and like 1fps lag at a couple spots, especially in broken steel. Also I have the GOTY disc, and GNR radio would often play the end game radio broadcast, which would spoil a LOT for new players. But this second time around I’ve experienced none of these issues so far. 

If you have an Xbox, I highly recommend you play it there, because it just runs much so smoother. I also have it on PC, but I could never get to work right. I tried playing it around the time that Games for Windows Live was being discontinued, so I think the issues with that conflicted with my setup. Otherwise, I can't really comment on that version but the mods people run are pretty awesome.

So in my opinion, based on my experience, if the PS3 version is your only option to play it, or if you want trophies, go for it! Do NOT skip out on this game. The minor issues this port has is nothing compared to the worth of diving back into the Capital Wasteland again or for the first time. As someone who has played it over the past 12-13 years, the game still holds up very well. While the story won't blow your mind, this game is best enjoyed by immersing yourself in the alternate reality future it portrays and the expansive environment you can explore.

Now Fallout New Vegas is a different story. I played it on PS3 and PC over a period from 2014-2019, and I had numerous issues with both versions. The PS3 was definitely the worst. I had numerous crashes, just about every game session, and glitches kept me from enjoying much of that game. That one tends to be a fan favorite, but I think those people enjoyed a heavily modified PC version, or even the Xbox 360 version. I'd advise you stay away from the PS3 version unless you really want the trophies for it. 

Edited by PhazePrime
  • Like 1

i didnt finish new vegas, but Fallout 3 was in the end almost unplayable for me.

I remember i did a 100% run with all expansions, and in the end my save file was so large that the game lagged so badly i had to restart the game every 5-10 min to even move.

I recently finished Fallout 3 GOTY and can highly recommend it. Don't know if it was luck, but my run went extremely smoothly; I had about 4 crashes in total, including near the end which is when I was doing all the DLC. For what it's worth, I had the physical disk, did not turn off autosaves, made a manual save every so often, didn't let the number of saves get too crazy, and always did the recommended L2+R2+Square reset thing when booting. I hope this motivates anyone who was thinking of getting into it! On New Vegas now.

Forgot to add: also did not use any companions/followers and did not use energy weapons, laser or plasma, until I was at the end, running through DLC and using Mothership Zeta stuff.

Edited by JoocyMan