PS4Pro: Is Boost Mode worth the extra $100?

Wavergray

Worth it  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Worth it

For me personally, yes. I play a lot of racing games and in Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2 especially the boost mode has almost made them different games. A stable framerate is very important in racing games and with the boost mode enabled both titles are nearly locked to 60fps and it makes the experience so much more enjoyable to me. Certainly worth the extra $100, in my opinion. 

Parker

• Like 3

Yeah, I guess it would be worth it, but only if it worked for more then a year.

Boost Mode works great for some games, but the system only lasts a year, then you have to pay more money for it, do yourself a favor and not get one, it will break down faster then the first model, unless you have a spare money, or you have a different PlayStation with spare parts.

Get it!! Don't forget there is a lot of other benefits a Pro > PS4 standard! If you have a 4k TV it def. a must too! HDR everything is awesome. Enjoy your games beautifully. You could die the next day, enjoy it!!! Unless itll put you in debt and you'll have to stress about it if you don't die.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Yeah, I guess it would be worth it, but only if it worked for more then a year.

Boost Mode works great for some games, but the system only lasts a year, then you have to pay more money for it, do yourself a favor and not get one, it will break down faster then the first model, unless you have a spare money, or you have a different PlayStation with spare parts.

I bought a PS4 on launch day and a PS4 Pro on launch day and both systems are still running perfectly and I've haven't heard of any widespread issues with the Pro either. 

Parker

5 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

Not sure why are you asking only about boost mode when you've got a better GPU that's 2.2x better an overclocked CPU, a 1TB HDD, and lots of games with pro support.

Oh and there's superampling if you don't have a 4k tv

Exactly what I was thinking about! but a lot of places now give the 1TB version for 299.99. Actually if he wanted the limited blue atm its 299.99 with 1TB

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-4-1tb-limited-edition-days-of-play-console-bundle-blue/6252368.p?skuId=6252368&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzs7h-MPC2wIVyR6GCh3YvQ9zEAkYAyABEgJBNPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

3 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Exactly what I was thinking but a lot of places now give the 1TB version for 299.99. Actually if he wanted the limited blue atm its 299.99 with 1TB

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-4-1tb-limited-edition-days-of-play-console-bundle-blue/6252368.p?skuId=6252368&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzs7h-MPC2wIVyR6GCh3YvQ9zEAkYAyABEgJBNPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

True! Though you're also getting some other benefits. 

And I suppose I was speaking with the mindset when I bought my pro in 2016. At that time 1 TB slim models were rare in Canada or at least in my area. And they were more expensive than the 500GB version by $50. Add another $50 and you were able to get a pro ;).

I've seen Pro bundles go for 350$ before actually this year. If planning for a Pro could just wait a little or just grab one over black friday for 299.99 :P Now that we got somewhat news that Ps5 wont be for another 3yrs maybe Pro seems more of a alright investment.

As someone who plays more indie games than AAA games I don't see the real point in buying a Pro. I don't play all too many AAA titles anymore which is what the Pro is really aimed at since those bigger games that require a multi million dollar budget can take advantage of the increased frame rate, the 4K graphics, and slightly faster load times than if you played the game on a vanilla PS4, or even the Slim.

I don't particularly like or care for racing games but I can definitely see why getting a Pro is seen as important if you're going to play something like Gran Turismo Sport. Performance, graphics and how your car handles are the big selling points for that franchise, so fans of that series can have something to brag about when all is said and done.

I just feel midrelease consoles are a way to buy the same product twice which I feel is an excuse to buy the same shit twice just so you can buy a slightly better product. It's like waiting to buy a Blu-ray set of your all time favorite television series just so you can experience higher definition, even though you already paid the DVD set or streamed it to your computer. We live in a throw away, repeat purchase culture that is pretty silly when you really look at it.

I may just wait until the remastered games get remastered again so they actually work on a 4K TV and PS4 Pro. Games are becoming like movies in a lot of respects.

• Like 1

Clearly the poll indicates that no other PS4 is owned so there is no possibility of buying the same product twice. So in this instance the extras for buying the pro are definitely worth the extra money to prolong the life of the console. 

Plus, as others have indicated, the Pro is often seen as part of promotions so the price may already be less than the poll. 

14 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I just feel midrelease consoles are a way to buy the same product twice which I feel is an excuse to buy the same shit twice just so you can buy a slightly better product

Have to disagree here. This gives people an option to see their favourite games look better and for me, getting higher or more stable framerates which is a really cool feature to have. 

Shadow of the Colossus, the Surge, infamous, and many other titles on pro feel smoooooth on performance mode. 

You're not being forced to buy the same thing twice and you don't need to. Having more options never hurt anyone. 

And you can always wait like I did and invest in the next generation of consoles at a later date. 

Had a PS2 in 2005, ps3 in 2012, ps4 in 2016. 

As a final note, I wouldn't personally invest into a pro had I had an OG ps4. I jumped into this gen right away with a pro. 

Edited by PooPooBlast

If you already have a PS4, then the upgrade is debatable, and dependent on whether you have a tv with hdr / 4k etc. and what games you play primarily.

If you don’t already have one though, then it’s a no-brainer. Who wants to buy the old, out of date model when the newer one is so little extra cost?

Spend the cash and get the more future-proofed console.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

Whatever your decision is. I found some somewhat good price upcoming for PS4 Pro.

These are for 399.99 with a game atm.

https://www.target.com/p/playstation-4-pro-1tb-star-wars-battlefront-ii-limited-edition-bundle/-/A-52991641

https://www.target.com/p/playstation-4-pro-1tb-god-of-war-limited-edition-bundle/-/A-53432403

Starting 6/10 Target is suppose to have Ps4 Pro no game for 349.99

Target-Weekly-Ad-6-10-18-Page-5.jpg

edit: Dont forget to sign up for redcard if you want a extra 5% off....

On 6/7/2018 at 5:50 PM, PooPooBlast said:

Not sure why are you asking only about boost mode when you've got a better GPU that's 2.2x better an overclocked CPU, a 1TB HDD, and lots of games with pro support.

Oh and there's superampling if you don't have a 4k tv

This exactly.  Boost Mode is nice for older games (Bloodborne getting locked 30 FPS & fewer frame-pacing issues etc.), but it's not the only thing you get for the $100.  The Pro support can be good on a lot of newer games.

So my vote's yes.

Get the feeling most people saying "No" never even tried it, so no offense but your input isn't really giving an informed view on the topic. Even in the "no" camp there's a huge difference between someone who outright scoffed at the idea and never tried it and someone who actually gave the mode a shot and just didn't find it worthwhile. As someone who had an OG PS4 first and loved it, it's now my Blu-ray player. PS4 Pro's Boost mode is king. Not to mention the console actually connects to the internet properly for me, unlike the OG model. And supersampling is also great. for those without 4k TVs. It has so much going for it that really makes the extra 100 squids worth it.

Edited by MeteorHawk
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

This exactly.  Boost Mode is nice for older games (Bloodborne getting locked 30 FPS & fewer frame-pacing issues etc.), but it's not the only thing you get for the $100.  The Pro support can be good on a lot of newer games.

So my vote's yes.

Yea definitely! JC3 feels sooooo much better on the pro with boost mode on. Blowing up stations doesn't feel like a slideshow anymore :D

I think it's worth personally.

I didn't think it was that useful until I played Horizon Zero Dawn. Holy Crap, that's when I knew the money was well spent.

Also, I noticed it helps some multi-player games with overall stability and load times . (In my experience; Specifically, Rubber-banding that was happening from distance rendering)