Short sights

Does anyone know if there is any way at all of bettering the chances of this dropping? 

I've done who knows how many travel quests with over 500 steps and still nothing. I've visited the blue castle when the war is over and its neutral dozens of times and even when there has been a war going on. 

I've lost count of how many times I've had enemy fucking Profiling! I only need this shorts sights and one other skill of stress relief then I'm done and I can delete this shit game forever. 

It is random. I have gotten it twice already. In fact it was my 4th one obtained from the castle (I blew Dragon's mind with that revelation when I told him).

RNG sucks but that's the way of the road. 

I personally just got Covert Action yesterday which was my last one I needed. It took like 200 travel quests to get and I couldn't believe my eyes when she granted it to me :) 

• Like 1

Well to be fair I got sick of the combat as well :P

Yeah I was told short sight was this complete bitch to get and literally when I got it so quickly I thought "well that can't be the one people are talking about".

I just have to level up my hazard sense and 3 more Lancer skills and I am done with the Skills. I have like 6 Orbs of Training as well so I don't even need to get them to level 3.

What keeps me going is knowing my Recent Plat Thread rant is going to be worth it :):P

I mean why couldn't they give you a step counter to get to 500 with. Or maybe have a tracking system so you know if you have all the skills or which ones you are missing. I shouldn't have to consult like 4 different guides and have a Google Sheet open to make sure I am playing the game correctly.

I have a saying that all game developers should use "If you ever have to ask 'is this fun' take it out of your game"

There have been so many fun games that have been ruined by a shitty mini-game, rng, stupidly hard boss that the rest of the game doesn't prepare you for, shitty online requirements, bad game choices etc.

Just don't include them in your game :)  

2 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I mean why couldn't they give you a step counter to get to 500 with.

You get random events every 40 steps (give or take a small number) if you're doing Travel Quests.  Just count 13 "random events" and you've got 500+ even if the numerical bias is prone towards giving you events slightly more quickly than "every 40 steps".

Edited by acasser
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, acasser said:

You get random events every 40 steps (give or take a small number) if you're doing Travel Quests.  Just count 13 "random events" and you've got 500+ even if the numerical bias is prone towards giving you events slightly more quickly than "every 40 steps".

yeah I know...but every other quest has a counter so why in the one that actually gives you items for walking does it not. Also you need 500 so 40 doesn't even go into 500 equally. Also there is nothing in the game that says "hey if you walk 500 steps and go tot the capital and talk to the leader you have a chance of getting a rare support skill." I mean your two helpers never shut the fuck up so couldn't they have had a line of dialog along the line of "hey we have been here awhile...maybe we should go to the capital" as a clue that you are done

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

yeah I know...but every other quest has a counter so why in the one that actually gives you items for walking does it not. Also you need 500 so 40 doesn't even go into 500 equally. Also there is nothing in the game that says "hey if you walk 500 steps and go tot the capital and talk to the leader you have a chance of getting a rare support skill." I mean your two helpers never shut the fuck up so couldn't they have had a line of dialog along the line of "hey we have been here awhile...maybe we should go to the capital" as a clue that you are done

Because that's not quite the way the mechanic was designed.

What really happens is that you are eligible for a reward after the successful completion of a quest. Any quest. Travel Quests work a little differently in this mechanic because you can successfully complete" one just by starting it and returning to base camp; this is quite possibly why 500 steps are required before a leader will give you something as a way to oblige you to actually put in some work on a quest. The Travel Quest method is the suggested way to go because of how it truncates the list of possible rewards in a fashion that makes Short Sights more likely to show up (even if "more likely" isn't remotely close to "likely").

Your idiot helpers should probably say something upon the conclusion of a quest. Asking them to do so after a specified number of steps might seem out-of-character given that you may very well have more stuff you need/want to do during a Travel Quest and probably wouldn't cut your excursion short just because someone is waiving a shiny bauble at you.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Late to the party, but my own Grand Kingdom rant.

I enjoy this game. But man - how many design flaws can a single game have? The skill system is a particularly bad one. Why they didn't simply re-roll your character when you class up, while allowing you to keep your previous skills, I'll never know. It's ridiculous that I have to keep raising Valkyries to get attack skills. You'd think that Valkyries went to some Valkyrie school or something, and would learn this shit.

I was fortunate not to cross the 4 challenger team online until two days ago, but God - what an annoyance. And this team really can change the makeup of wars, since the only thing that matter seems to be how many enemies you can defeat in a certain amount of time. 

The "gee, I hope I have the right people with the right field skills to fight these bounties!" is pretty gruesome, too. Hey, I need the enemy warp skill to fight this bounty! Aw - I brought the person with the obstacle warp skill instead. Back to the guild, through the interminable load screens, just to find the right person (or teach the skill for one battle - God knows I have a ton of grimoires for these things).

I guess I should be thankful that I got Short Sights in my very first gift. Of course, I still need to learn 10 more support skills, but small victories.

Grand Kingdom could have been a real contender for me. I enjoy both (the ideas of) online and offline play. But unfortunately, it was just Japanese'd up too much, with the unnecessary and incessant grinding.

• Like 1