Assassin's Creed Odyssey (screenshots leaked)

Ghost

Looks good, i dont mind that it looks like an Origins reskin, because Origins was good, if they can deliver a good story, it will be an awesome game.

Im sold nevertheless, because of ancient Greece, i want to explore Athens and Sparta right now!

On 6/10/2018 at 7:59 AM, ZireaelSan said:

Goodbye lame ass ezio hello greek d00d! 1f601.png

I wish I could downvote this comment.  No offense, but Ezio was by far the most charismatic and interesting protagonist in the AC series.  Granted I haven't played the 2 newest games yet, but I doubt they will sway my opinion.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:59 AM, Zach said:

You...... didn't like Black Flag? 

I don't get why everyone loves black flag so much.  It was a decent pirate game, it was a TERRIBLE AC game.  If you want to sail around and play pirates, then this game is for you.  But if you want a quality AC game with an intricate interwoven past and present story, and just a good plot altogether, this game gets a 2/10, barely.  The only people I know who prefer black flag to basically anything that came before it (but usually Ezio's trilogy is the standout comparison), are those who didn't play an AC game until black flag came out and it was their first dip into that proverbial pond.  Most people who started with AC, AC2, or even Brotherhood and liked the story - past and present - and where the series was headed, all thought black flag was a major letdown.  And if you did like it, it probably had nothing to do with the AC elements, as I stated above, and you were lucky enough to be able to separate the pirate gameplay from the world of AC you had grown to love (which I was not).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

I don't get why everyone loves black flag so much.  It was a decent pirate game, it was a TERRIBLE AC game.  If you want to sail around and play pirates, then this game is for you.  But if you want a quality AC game with an intricate interwoven past and present story, and just a good plot altogether, this game gets a 2/10, barely.  The only people I know who prefer black flag to basically anything that came before it (but usually Ezio's trilogy is the standout comparison), are those who didn't play an AC game until black flag came out and it was their first dip into that proverbial pond.  Most people who started with AC, AC2, or even Brotherhood and liked the story - past and present - and where the series was headed, all thought black flag was a major letdown.  And if you did like it, it probably had nothing to do with the AC elements, as I stated above, and you were lucky enough to be able to separate the pirate gameplay from the world of AC you had grown to love (which I was not).

Amen brother!

Odyssey almost looks like a reskin of Origins. Ubisoft just made changes to the scenery and background and put the series in Ancient Greece.

Which interestingly enough doesn't take place during the time of Alexander the Great circa 300 BC.

We just came fresh off of Origin's last DLC a few months ago and we're already getting an new Assassins Creed game this October. I hope this isn't going to be another trend of making annual releases like we saw for five years or so.

I wouldn't doubt however that Ubisoft started work on Odyssey not too long after Origins.

Edited by Spaz

4 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

I wish I could downvote this comment.  No offense, but Ezio was by far the most charismatic and interesting protagonist in the AC series.  Granted I haven't played the 2 newest games yet, but I doubt they will sway my opinion.

Why? Just because i didnt like ezio? Lol.

They straight up threw the story away with the original one, everything else was just nonsense atleast for me i cant take this series seriously anymore after the way they threw desmond in the trash bin, lol.

Because black flag was a fun game to play to the rather dull previous games. The same repetetive wallclimbing on the same street gets boring after a while y'know? If i want to be impressed by historical buildings i'll visit them myself in real life,lol.

That's why origins has been getting a lot of praise aswell, or atleast from me that the actual gameplay is refreshing and fun to play with, compared to the rather dull hide and assasinate with the older games. 

1 hour ago, ZireaelSan said:

They straight up threw the story away with the original one, everything else was just nonsense atleast for me i cant take this series seriously anymore after the way they threw desmond in the trash bin, lol.

Because black flag was a fun game to play to the rather dull previous games. The same repetetive wallclimbing on the same street gets boring after a while y'know? If i want to be impressed by historical buildings i'll visit them myself in real life,lol.

That's why origins has been getting a lot of praise aswell, or atleast from me that the actual gameplay is refreshing and fun to play with, compared to the rather dull hide and assasinate with the older games. 

Yes, that's exactly the reason, LOL.  If you don't like Ezio, you probably also don't like the story, which is the best part of the game.  And if you find hiding and assassinating boring, then why are you playing a game about hiding and assassinating?  You find the originals dull, but the gameplay in them in aimed at a target demographic, so how'd you even get into the series if it's not your style?  Sounds to me like you just want another run of the mill fast paced shooter-esque game.  The strategy behind planning assassinations in the first game was awesome.  Adding a bigger world, rpg elements, and just making the game a little more streamline made 2 and brotherhood amazing.  The backstory of the protagonist set the tone for the series at that point.

We're all a little mad at the way Desmond's story ended, but at least the game has a present storyline.  Not sure about Origins, but the newer games I've played gave up on that.  And what about black flag wasn't repetitive?  The entire game was incredibly repetitive in every way.  Almost every naval battle, every side mission, even the main story, the vast majority of objectives were the exact same 3-4 things recycled over and over.  And you don't like climbing buildings, but you're cool climbing huts, trees, and masts to achieve essentially the same thing and set yourself up for the exact same kill requirements over and over again?  The only thing refreshing about black flag was the pirates, which as I said, made it a decent pirate game.  It had nothing to do with AC most of the time.  You're free to like or dislike whatever you want, but you're literally saying everything that made the AC franchise unique, interesting and successful is boring and dull and you didn't like it, yet somehow you like the series (well, only the newer games, I guess, that no longer resemble the series and what made it popular).  Seems kind of counter intuitive.  I stand by what I said, Black Flag is not a good AC game, but it's a decent pirate adventure, if that's what you're into.  Especially if you're not trying to platinum it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZireaelSan said:

Ubisoft is making a game just for you - Skull and Bones comes out later this year. All pirates, no assassin's. You'll love it.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2018 at 2:19 PM, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Is that a fucking stamina bar I see?

No earlier me. There is no stamina bar. Rejoice and get ready for a new game.

Wonder if there will be trophies tied to both characters. :hmm: wouldn't mind playing as both to see if the story is told differently.

On 6/11/2018 at 11:52 PM, Matto_lsi said:

Yes, that's exactly the reason, LOL.  If you don't like Ezio, you probably also don't like the story, which is the best part of the game.  And if you find hiding and assassinating boring, then why are you playing a game about hiding and assassinating?  You find the originals dull, but the gameplay in them in aimed at a target demographic, so how'd you even get into the series if it's not your style?  Sounds to me like you just want another run of the mill fast paced shooter-esque game.  The strategy behind planning assassinations in the first game was awesome.  Adding a bigger world, rpg elements, and just making the game a little more streamline made 2 and brotherhood amazing.  The backstory of the protagonist set the tone for the series at that point.

We're all a little mad at the way Desmond's story ended, but at least the game has a present storyline.  Not sure about Origins, but the newer games I've played gave up on that.  And what about black flag wasn't repetitive?  The entire game was incredibly repetitive in every way.  Almost every naval battle, every side mission, even the main story, the vast majority of objectives were the exact same 3-4 things recycled over and over.  And you don't like climbing buildings, but you're cool climbing huts, trees, and masts to achieve essentially the same thing and set yourself up for the exact same kill requirements over and over again?  The only thing refreshing about black flag was the pirates, which as I said, made it a decent pirate game.  It had nothing to do with AC most of the time.  You're free to like or dislike whatever you want, but you're literally saying everything that made the AC franchise unique, interesting and successful is boring and dull and you didn't like it, yet somehow you like the series (well, only the newer games, I guess, that no longer resemble the series and what made it popular).  Seems kind of counter intuitive.  I stand by what I said, Black Flag is not a good AC game, but it's a decent pirate adventure, if that's what you're into.  Especially if you're not trying to platinum it.

The story was a lot more solid in the older Assassins Creed games. I have not played Origins yet and I don't plan on playing Odyssey when it comes out. It will be quite a while before I get around to that one.

But I definitely noticed that the story in Black Flag, Unity and Syndicate was simply just slapped together like throwing crap at the wall to see if it sticks. The present day storyline was absolutely abysmal in those games, you play a mute, dull faceless Assassin in Black Flag. You don't play any role in Unity and Syndicate, you just let the cinematics play out.

They should just kill off Rebecca and Shaun because I don't see them holding any purpose to the story anymore. They were great when Lucy and Desmond were alive, they were still quite alright when Desmond was to determine his fate in Assassins Creed III. But after that I simply stopped caring about them.

Unless I'm missing something that happened in Origins.

The series went from climbing famous Rome landmarks and Ottoman landmarks to climbing trees and colonial era buildings in III and Black Flag. Unity and Syndicate did bring back that epic climbing experience, seeing the Notre Dame in Paris and Big Ben in London. But it just wasn't the same.

I'm sure in Origins you can climb obelisks, pyramids, the Sphinx, pretty much every famous landmark in Egypt and around Cairo. But I haven't gotten around to the game yet so I'm not too certain.

Edward Kenway isn't an Assassin until the very end of Black Flag. Up until he discovers the Piece of Eden he simply goes around looting English/Spanish ships with his companion Adewale, so Black Flag was essentially a good pirate game. The story, both in the historical time period and the present day were just poor.

I feel Assassins Creed 1 in many ways was underrated. Sure, the gameplay sucked, but the story that occurred between Desmond, Lucy and Warren Vidic, and the ongoing conflict during the Crusades in 1100s Jerusalem, Acre and Damascus what what make the game interesting. Up until Origins Ubisoft just decide to toss out the good storyline in favor of Pieces of Eden and artifacts left behind by the Precursors and The First Civilization. Rather than the Assassin vs Templar conflict that was done so well in the first few Assassins Creed games. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Spaz said:

I feel Assassins Creed 1 in many ways was underrated. Sure, the gameplay sucked, but the story that occurred between Desmond, Lucy and Warren Vidic, and the ongoing conflict during the Crusades in 1100s Jerusalem, Acre and Damascus what what make the game interesting. Up until Origins Ubisoft just decide to toss out the good storyline in favor of Pieces of Eden and artifacts left behind by the Precursors and The First Civilization. Rather than the Assassin vs Templar conflict that was done so well in the first few Assassins Creed games. 

Everything you said was spot on, but this in particular stood out.  I agree completely, and can only hope that Origins and this new one bring back some kind of story to the series.  The present/past balance from the first couple games was awesome, and needs to return, imo.  I doubt it will though, sadly.

I will say this about AC1 though, the gameplay - strategically setting up assassinations - is much more true to what an assassin is.  Running around stabbing tens or even hundreds of people in the streets, innocents included, in broad daylight with witnesses and guards chasing you away is not even close to being an assassin.  The creed was a secret, assassinations were done in shadows or made to look like accidents.  The way gameplay changed in later games isn't terrible as it really only adds the choice for the player to stay true to this or treat the game like any other, but the reward/punishment system in the first games, or even first few games, was much more realistic, which is what I liked.  I think people are far too impatient for a game like that, which is why Ubi made the changes and so many people don't like the first game, but that was a selling point to me, and the whole reason I got into the series as a whole.  I'd like to see some aspect of that return as well, some of the better 'assassin' games still do this, just not AC anymore.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

Everything you said was spot on, but this in particular stood out.  I agree completely, and can only hope that Origins and this new one bring back some kind of story to the series.  The present/past balance from the first couple games was awesome, and needs to return, imo.  I doubt it will though, sadly.

I will say this about AC1 though, the gameplay - strategically setting up assassinations - is much more true to what an assassin is.  Running around stabbing tens or even hundreds of people in the streets, innocents included, in broad daylight with witnesses and guards chasing you away is not even close to being an assassin.  The creed was a secret, assassinations were done in shadows or made to look like accidents.  The way gameplay changed in later games isn't terrible as it really only adds the choice for the player to stay true to this or treat the game like any other, but the reward/punishment system in the first games, or even first few games, was much more realistic, which is what I liked.  I think people are far too impatient for a game like that, which is why Ubi made the changes and so many people don't like the first game, but that was a selling point to me, and the whole reason I got into the series as a whole.  I'd like to see some aspect of that return as well, some of the better 'assassin' games still do this, just not AC anymore.

I won't say I absolutely disliked or hated the later Assassins Creed games. Black Flag was a very solid pirate game, but it's absolutely shit as an "assassin" game. There is barely anything Edward Kenway does that would be the Assassin way. He was a huge departure from Altair and Ezio, playing a brash, arrogant Irish douche with a hard on for drinking and probably had sexual intercourse with several women. Kenway was a great pirate, which I liked him for, but he was no Assassin at all until the end of the game when they branded him as one.

When I played Assassins Creed 1 years ago I really enjoyed it. The game play as I said wasn't all that good because it was very repetitive. But the structure of the game carried out assassinations and tasks in a more formal manner, rather than later games where they just gave you a 30 second cinematic and went "There you go, now kill some innocents and random brawlers". When you assassinated your targets the game went into a lengthy cinematic about how they looked at the world Altair lived in. One by one you killed targets for your mentor,

Spoiler

Until it turned how that he was the bad guy all along, and you end up killing him and retrieving a Piece of Eden.

The conflict between Desmond, Lucy and Warren was done well. It kept the game interesting and I found it intriguing that both sides of the story were being told.

I definitely enjoyed the present day sequences in Assassins Creed II and Brotherhood where it seemed like Desmond, Lucy, Rebecca and Shaun would stick together as a team. They were rather barebones compared to the actual gameplay with Ezio but it helped flesh out the story.

But ever since Black Flag I just feel that the player has to sit through random sequences of doing what the fuck ever because your superiors in the present day Assassin organization told you to do so. In Black Flag I assume that I was supposed to infiltrate Abstergo, which is a corporate Templar company and front. In Unity I'm met by this woman whom I have absolutely no idea who the hell she really is, and she prefers it to stay that way. In Syndicate we see some cinematics involving Shaun and Rebecca getting into some trouble by the Templars, but I could make no real sense what the fuck was going on.

I suppose back in 2007 Ubisoft was trying to make a series that was their version of Metal Gear Solid. Before Assassins Creed they were primarily known for their Rayman and Prince of Persia franchises. The series has gone far and away from the original game that started it.

If people are too impatient for a game like that then they couldn't even play a Metal Gear Solid game. Assassins Creed is a much easier franchise to play than Metal Gear, where stealth is a huge priority and you basically get punished even for being spotted. I think the Dishonored games play in the same sort of fashion, although I've never touched the franchise so I don't really know.

----

I'm sure Origins is a solid game and so will be Odyssey. I just don't think the story is really all that important for people anymore, which is sad.

• Like 2