Wolfenstein: Youngblood (2019) – Gameplay Trailer

17 hours ago, communistwookiee said:

I know that. For difficulty and balance reasons, I've just seen too many games that say that you can play them solo, but then they are way too hard without an actual human partner. The fact that the game does also always feature a constant AI companion in place of another player also doesn't inspire much confidence, because too often these companions end up being as dumb as a brick and can't actually kill any enemies or just require constant revives.

Couldn't agree more. I still hope the AI companion isn't broken, at least.

15 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

i want there to be a mein leben trophy but just not for co-op.

Well, since you've stacked TNC's plats, one day I might ask you for some tips & strategies when I get to play Mein Leben -- I still haven't played that game. :P

20 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

Couldn't agree more. I still hope the AI companion isn't broken, at least.

Well, since you've stacked TNC's plats, one day I might ask you for some tips & strategies when I get to play Mein Leben -- I still haven't played that game. :P

ask away :D i remember everything about it. send me a pm whenever if you want.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

You're just whistling Dixie here. There's no way that Duke Nukem makes a return in this political environment. And honestly, I don't think you'd like the version that returns if he did.

This blows. 

What has you thinking Duke can’t return in this political environment?

Hell, I don’t even care if his next game is a half assed attempt, like Forever was.

I don't think Duke Nukem really brings much to the table anymore.

The first Duke 3D game brought a lot of innovation to the FPS, but there's nothing about those innovations that are particularly tied to the IP.

So we're just left with the character of Duke himself and there isn't really much there. Admittedly, there wasn't much there with BJ either, but I think that character had more flexibility for being reborn because he was such a blank slate.

I don't think that politics would necessarily be an issue. I think that the Saints Row games are at about the level of things that a new Duke game would hit.

The bigger hurdle would be overcoming the reputation built up by Forever. For anyone under the age of 35, Duke Nukem is a joke not "that fun game I played in high school."

On 3/29/2019 at 6:06 PM, Spaz said:

This blows. 

What has you thinking Duke can’t return in this political environment?

Hell, I don’t even care if his next game is a half assed attempt, like Forever was.

I just don't see a world where you have a guy frequenting strip joints, or getting blow jobs, or even shitting down the neck of an alien boss, making the cut right now. And without the machismo, Duke is just another shooter at the end of the day. I can't see him suddenly being a freedom fighter in a serious world of aliens vs. humans, or raising freedom fighter daughters, etc. At best, you might get Ash from Evil Dead. At worst...well, I don't want to think about "at worst".

To be honest, I miss Duke a bit, too (even though I didn't play Forever). I like irreverent games. But irreverence is too often taken as a sort of discrimination nowadays.

Edited by starcrunch061

On 3/30/2019 at 0:59 AM, cckerberos said:

I don't think Duke Nukem really brings much to the table anymore.

The first Duke 3D game brought a lot of innovation to the FPS, but there's nothing about those innovations that are particularly tied to the IP.

So we're just left with the character of Duke himself and there isn't really much there. Admittedly, there wasn't much there with BJ either, but I think that character had more flexibility for being reborn because he was such a blank slate.

I don't think that politics would necessarily be an issue. I think that the Saints Row games are at about the level of things that a new Duke game would hit.

The bigger hurdle would be overcoming the reputation built up by Forever. For anyone under the age of 35, Duke Nukem is a joke not "that fun game I played in high school."

Until Wolfenstein: The New Order came around, NONE of these characters had really any story to them, BJ, Doomguy and Duke were all just guys that just killed Nazis and aliens for the hell of it.

The problem is nothing was capitalized with Duke, so he's every bit as dead as 1990s cartoon heroes.

There hasn't been a new Saints Row game since Gat Out of Hell. We expect far too much from video games now. Back when you were a kid in a time when parents just saw video games to be merely toys, anything that involved goring aliens and trash talking was enough to sell.

Now with Sony making characters with deep, delicate backgrounds and our lust for one hour television melodramas, Duke Nukem is old, withered and looking about as good as sour milk.

It's pretty sad, but we have to point the finger at the developers.

Nintendo capitalized on their flagship character Mario with Super Mario 64, which was released the same year as Duke Nukem 3D. 3D Realms didn't. Duke Nukem Forever was under development troubles for over a decade and when it was finally released everybody shit the bed.

I guess that's another childhood icon destroyed. Oh well. If you're wondering, yes, I was too young to be playing Duke Nukem 3D.

10 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I just don't see a world where you have a guy frequenting strip joints, or getting blow jobs, or even shitting down the neck of an alien boss, making the cut right now. And without the machismo, Duke is just another shooter at the end of the day. I can't see him suddenly being a freedom fighter in a serious world of aliens vs. humans, or raising freedom fighter daughters, etc. At best, you might get Ash from Evil Dead. At worst...well, I don't want to think about "at worst".

To be honest, I miss Duke a bit, too (even though I didn't play Forever). I like irreverent games. But irreverence is too often taken as a sort of discrimination nowadays.

A lot of racial humor is dead too. What Duke could do would easily force the ESRB to rate his game Adults Only, which is strictly banned on all console platforms.

I think he can't make the cut because he simply has not aged well. He's aged just as well as that early '90s cartoon show Captain Planet. Neither of which would make the cut, one for showing possibly too much sexual content, one for telling public service announcements that are horribly out of date.

Gearbox couldn't care less for Duke. At least Bethesda was able to publish both Wolfenstein and DOOM, and those two franchises are all the better for it.

I'll be completely honest here ... totally forgot this game was even a thing ? Looking back though I do recall the first trailer (and I can see I even commented on that back when) and for the most part what I thought about that still holds true. 

That being said most of comments from back then were about the story of the new series (what story there is anyways) and what I felt about this new entry and its new characters. (Not gonna lie still feels like we just got done with Wolfensteins equivalent to "Empire strikes back" and went straight into the "Force Awakens" .. well story wise at least not necessarily quality wise .. yet) 

To be fair I would admit that story has probably always been second to gameplay for most people as far as Wolfenstein games are concerned and seeing that this new trailer actually had a few snippets of that why not talk about that aspect instead.

Well from what little we saw I'd say it looks more or less the same to what we got in the New Colossus (and I guess in extension of that Order and Old Blood) biggest differences here being the settings (80's and Paris and whatever new possibilities both of these bring to the table in terms of weaponry and "gadgets") and of course co-op. Not gonna lie I'm still not sold on this idea yet.

My biggest gripe with this concept at this point is the possibility that it might completely wreck the games difficulty (which I'm not gonna lie was one the things I actually grew to love the most about the games) if not done correctly. It could make the game a completely push-over if played in co-op due to things like an easily exploitable revive system, enemy amounts not adjusting to a 2nd player (say you had a section originally designed as a 1 vs 10 situation turned into a 2 vs 10 scenario basically halving the amount of enemies you're required to be able to beat on your own) or perhaps even due to things such as ammo and armor drops pretty much doubling to compensate for the added player.  

On the other hand it could also make the game a complete shit show if played solo more or less due to the things listed above only flipped, either way I'd say both scenarios would heavily impact the enjoyment you could have received from a game that had its levels 100% focused on being good single player experiences and nothing more. 

As for the prospect of having a forced AI companion/buddy with you at all times even in "single player" ... yeah no. I honestly don't believe this will work out very well since the only "decent" AI companions that come to mind are ones like Ellie (Last of Us) or Elizabeth (Bioshock Infinite) which no matter how you look at it were built around being support AI's and nothing more. Helping you via finding a random clip of ammo or helping you via a "quick time event" during a fight. Not as your typical 1st person shooter squad buddies (pick pretty much any COD for example) which until more of this concept is shown I'll have to assume they'll work more or less the same as. Hopefully this won't turn out to be much of and issue and the developers will make the game adapt certain gameplay elements to however many players are playing the game, because if they don't and they honestly assume the AI will be a competent substitute for another human player I've got some bad news for them. 

Summary: (For those of you who didn't feel like reading yet another internet "critic"'s opinion/novel on a game trailer no less)

Do you think the game looks bad?:

No, I don't

Do you think the game looks awesome/fantastic/incredible/great etc. etc. ?

No ... I don't. I think the game looks "average"

Do you plan on buying the at launch, down the road or at all?

Depending on how well the game and more so its actual gameplay is received, I might pick it up sometime down the road when its gotten a few price drops (and maybe a "game of the year" or "Whatever includes all DLC" edition. This is primarily due to the fact that I'm not very excited for the story that has been presented to me and I've already got 3 games full of nazi killing goodness on my PS4 with more or less the same gameplay formula this game appears to be going with. 

18 hours ago, Spaz said:

Until Wolfenstein: The New Order came around, NONE of these characters had really any story to them, BJ, Doomguy and Duke were all just guys that just killed Nazis and aliens for the hell of it.

The problem is nothing was capitalized with Duke, so he's every bit as dead as 1990s cartoon heroes.

There hasn't been a new Saints Row game since Gat Out of Hell. We expect far too much from video games now. Back when you were a kid in a time when parents just saw video games to be merely toys, anything that involved goring aliens and trash talking was enough to sell.

Now with Sony making characters with deep, delicate backgrounds and our lust for one hour television melodramas, Duke Nukem is old, withered and looking about as good as sour milk.

It's pretty sad, but we have to point the finger at the developers.

Nintendo capitalized on their flagship character Mario with Super Mario 64, which was released the same year as Duke Nukem 3D. 3D Realms didn't. Duke Nukem Forever was under development troubles for over a decade and when it was finally released everybody shit the bed.

I guess that's another childhood icon destroyed. Oh well. If you're wondering, yes, I was too young to be playing Duke Nukem 3D.

A lot of racial humor is dead too. What Duke could do would easily force the ESRB to rate his game Adults Only, which is strictly banned on all console platforms.

I think he can't make the cut because he simply has not aged well. He's aged just as well as that early '90s cartoon show Captain Planet. Neither of which would make the cut, one for showing possibly too much sexual content, one for telling public service announcements that are horribly out of date.

Gearbox couldn't care less for Duke. At least Bethesda was able to publish both Wolfenstein and DOOM, and those two franchises are all the better for it.

Duke Nukem isn't coming back, period. And Mario is a legendary gaming icon that everyone loves. And let's be honest here, Mario is well known like with Link from the Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, and more than Duke Nukem. And Mario, Link, Kirby, Donkey Kong and Pikachu are child friendly characters (Well, Yoshi appeared in the Gamecube remake of Metal Gear Solid which was a M rated game and Solid Snake got into Super Smash Bros Brawl and Ultimate like with Sonic) that everyone, ranging from kids to adults loved.

Duke Nukem was popular in the 90s, but since Duke Nukem Forever, his popular was permanently crapped on. @Spaz Point is, Duke Nukem isn't coming back and will probably never get a new game anytime soon while legendary IPs from Japan like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and more get more sequels. I'm sorry to say this, but Duke Nukem isn't coming back and I don't think gaming today will accept a new Duke Nukem game because of... ya'll know.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, zizimonster said:

Good news!

On recent reddit AMA with Machine Games, it is confirmed that Wolfenstein Youngblood won't feature the infamous Mein Leben difficulty. Uber will be the hardest difficulty available in the game. :awesome:

Thank God they learned.  Still don't mind Mein Leben trophy but make sure the game is well balanced so it doesn't take a South Korean robot from 3077 to beat this shit + the bugs and glitches.

If good, I'll buy on a sale later.... these sort of game go cheap quick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zizimonster said:

Good news!

Bad news!

22 minutes ago, Vizard-Ichigo-- said:

Thank God they learned.  Still don't mind Mein Leben trophy but make sure the game is well balanced so it doesn't take a South Korean robot from 3077 to beat this shit + the bugs and glitches.

The game was well balanced and we have 2 stacks with total 424 platinum achievers (South Korean Robots). All you need is a little more patience.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, UltraRareBoy said:

Bad news!

Yes indeed... Everything needs to be very easy nowadays apparently...

I dont even understand why people were crying about it... I mean, if it's too much, just don't do it, you dont have to "platinum" everything...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zizimonster said:

Good news!

On recent reddit AMA with Machine Games, it is confirmed that Wolfenstein Youngblood won't feature the infamous Mein Leben difficulty. Uber will be the hardest difficulty available in the game. :awesome:

Well... @HusKy at least we can chill then. :D 

But I wouldnt have minded 'Mein Leben' difficulty. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, llljulll said:

Yes indeed... Everything needs to be very easy nowadays apparently...

Easy is not the same as balanced.  Challenge the player but don't make it cheap, specially do to amateur game design and awful management.

Edited by Vizard-Ichigo--

On 11/05/2019 at 6:20 PM, Mori said:

Well... @HusKy at least we can chill then. :D 

But I wouldnt have minded 'Mein Leben' difficulty. 

I wasn't worried about any difficulty considering I knew I was going to play it with you. :D

• Like 1

On 11-5-2019 at 2:35 PM, zizimonster said:

Good news!

I'm glad about that, I'll play it with my bf who wouldn't want to try that difficulty for the life of him (it would give me lots of trouble as well, I still need to play all the other games)

On 5/13/2019 at 5:14 PM, reinhardtwlhelm said:

I'm glad about that, I'll play it with my bf who wouldn't want to try that difficulty for the life of him (it would give me lots of trouble as well, I still need to play all the other games)

You must play The New Order and The Old Blood. Both are  :awesome:.

I haven't played The New Colossus myself. :blush:

This reminds me that I need to get onto The New Colossus ASAP. Looks cool, though I'm not so sure about the co-op but hopefully it is implemented in a good way rather than just being shoehorned in.

"Have you ever killed Nazis before?"

"We were born to kill Nazis!"

Fuck yeah!

Edited by Stan Lee