Ghost

The Last of Us Part II – June 19, 2020

567 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Well, the story aspect is very sorely lacking in that "story" trailer, especially compared to other PlayStation exclusives' story trailers. It's just a lot of in-game high quality scenes put together, with little to no interesting character interactions, characterization, story beats, etc. Seems people who have seen the game are right about the story not being good. 

Edited by EcoShifter

8 minutes ago, LongLiveHelghast said:

Not really. It just screams a little bit of having lost confidence in the game.

If it was only the comments turned off I could understand, but to disable the like/dislikes suggests they’re not enjoying the criticism

Doesn’t have anything to do, you can’t stop people from sabotaging even if you are confident on your game.

That’s how mass media works.

Posted (edited)

Spoilers is disgusting with it's pandering without substance. Why would you want the player to play as Abby after what she has done....

Why can't they make Abby like Mary Jane in Spiderman. An extra character you can play at certain sections, and her story isn't Intrusive to the Main Characters. 

The leaks only tell what the disgruntled worker/"Hacker" released, full context of the story matters. Whatever was leaked not promising.

I am going to wait for reviews and fully story spoiler before shitting on it. 

If it is shite, then 2nd hand copy. 

Edited by Kishnabe

Yeah, even if our anger is justified, it’s sad seeing the reception this game is having. I know it’s just a game, but my heart just feels so dark and heavy with all that’s going on. Even if it’s a bad game, it deserved a more peaceful release. So, yes, I wish things were different...

11 minutes ago, talespagni said:

Druckmann's video is now up to 430k views and 71k dislikes.

Regarding the new trailer:

- Sony disabled comments and likes/dislikes

- No woke segments.

I wonder why.

The ratio of dislikes to views has decreased by an entire percentage point from 17.5% to 16.5%. Sounds like things are improving for Naughty Dog. 

If we're interpreting what numbers say and all...

20 minutes ago, BloodyRutz said:

I don't know, most of the games I've played are generally very well received, but that's not really the point. Also, I meant reviews in general - gaming news site, Reddit, other people's opinions on forums like these. The reason I mentioned reviews is that without them, I don't really understand what would be the difference between pre-order and normal order then. It's still the same product. You just have more information from other sources to help you decide.

For example, judging by this thread and general hate aimed at people involved in it's development, I shouldn't play TLOU 2 even if it was free. But I liked what I've seen so far and I liked Naughty Dog's games I've played in past. For me there is no reason not to trust them. That's why I'm gonna formulate an opinion about it on my own.

So the release date for me is just a date. It doesn't really matter if I'm gonna buy it now or next month. I will still have the same information since I don't plan to spoil the game for myself. On the other hand, possible Borderlands 4 - that's a NO from me no matter what.

I'm not saying reviews are useless, I just disagree with calling others pre-ordering video games being delusional just because I don't agree with it. That's all.

I hear you, true and I agree about Borderlands 4 if that ever happens. 

Just thought I'd show my face in this thread one final time to say that the box art sucks so goddamn much. Seriously? That's what they decided to go with? I've seen some phenomenal box art from fans that blow the official art (if you can call it that) out of the water. Sorry, just had to rant about that, it's ugly. 

Which one do you mean, angry period Ellie or careful gun holding Ellie?

41 minutes ago, Venocide said:

Just thought I'd show my face in this thread one final time to say that the box art sucks so goddamn much. Seriously? That's what they decided to go with? I've seen some phenomenal box art from fans that blow the official art (if you can call it that) out of the water. Sorry, just had to rant about that, it's ugly. 

Agreed. I've always hated that cliche of taking a closeup of a character model's face and slapping it on the box. It's lazy and boring to look at.

1 minute ago, Nighcisama said:

Which one do you mean, angry period Ellie or careful gun holding Ellie?

I'm assuming it's the one shown in the opening post of this thread.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, BloodyRutz said:

too much to quote here*

Honestly I agree with you about BL4 - there’s absolutely no way that Randy Pitchford will ever get any of my money. I would genuinely much rather support Neil Druckmann than Randy Pitchford and I think they’re both terrible representatives for the video gaming industry.

Edited by LongLiveHelghast

4 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Agreed. I've always hated that cliche of taking a closeup of a character model's face and slapping it on the box. It's lazy and boring to look at.

I'm assuming it's the one shown in the opening post of this thread.

I mean, the game 1 remastered cover was not much better, basically just Ellie and Joel standing there doing nothing, in black and white, so I would not say the new one is noticeably worse. Might be a bit misleading to show only Ellie on the cover given what we know about how the game will look though, but then again the new trailer was equally dishonest in that regard so I guess that is the new Naughty Dog way of marketing things.

59 minutes ago, Venocide said:

I legitimately thought that was placeholder art.

2 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

I mean, the game 1 remastered cover was not much better, basically just Ellie and Joel standing there doing nothing, in black and white, so I would not say the new one is noticeably worse. Might be a bit misleading to show only Ellie on the cover given what we know about how the game will look though, but then again the new trailer was equally dishonest in that regard so I guess that is the new Naughty Dog way of marketing things.

I think minimalist box art *can* look good. While not my favourite example of this, at least the remastered box art had some style to it. TLoU2's box art just looks like the in-game character model. It's up to personal preference of course, but I think it looks worse.

Posted (edited)

TLOU 2's trailer on IGN's YT channel has currently:

595k views

40k likes

31k dislikes

... and the comments are open there, take a look to read some interesting and funny stuff:

PS: why do we keep talking about views, likes, dislikes, and the ratio between them?

That's easy to answer: in marketing, you use indicators to figure out what kind of feedback your target audience is giving you. The above sentence is a way to do that.

I'll tell you what, if the target audience is reacting in such a negative way, the main audience (overall base of desired consumers)'s reaction will be much, much worse, due to herd behavior, impact of social media, mouth to mouth advertising and other factors.

@BloodyRutz I'm replying to your previous post in this page, without quoting it.

@DaivRules "Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamp post; more for support than illumination" (Andrew Lang)

Edited by talespagni
fixed some typos.

Posted (edited)

the direction this took is utterly subversive, deceitful and completely wrong. it used to be a game made for everyone, now it's anita sarkeesian's pet project, i hate gamers, so f*** your games type of attitude. the way I see it, this game wasn't made for everyone, it was made for the shallow entitled, drug addled hypocritical vegans amongst us, and unfortunately this game will still sell really well because many people are just waiting for it. and I gurantee many of those people will start kicking off by june 24th. the trailer is nothing more then a marketting spin, hell when this game comes out i wouldn't be surprised if people try to sue druckman for copyright infringement.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

5 hours ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

the direction this took is utterly subversive, deceitful and completely wrong. it used to be a game made for everyone, now it's anita sarkeesian's pet project, i hate gamers, so f*** your games type of attitude. the way I see it, this game wasn't made for everyone, it was made for the shallow entitled, drug addled hypocritical vegans amongst us, and unfortunately this game will still sell really well because many people are just waiting for it. and I gurantee many of those people will start kicking off by june 24th. the trailer is nothing more then a marketting spin, hell when this game comes out i wouldn't be surprised if people try to sue druckman for copyright infringement.

Fun fact: games made for you aren't "made for everyone" either. Every piece of marketed media is made for an audience. Maybe you've just grown complacent and begun to assume that the default is for games to appeal to you?

On ‎05‎.‎05‎.‎2020 at 10:47 AM, Darling Baphomet said:

Pretty much. I used to gravitate primarily in spaces with these sorts of people. It's almost always very mentally ill or otherwise victimized feeling people who make up for their lack of self-confidence through aggression and accusing other groups of being responsible for all of their suffering - hence why reactionaries (of all ideologies) always need a scapegoat that they can attack. Being able to attack takes the heat off yourself, and lets you avoid having to self-examine. Obviously, gaming is one of the more introverted / seclusion friendly hobbies, and as such it attracts a lot of these types.

There's really nothing you can do about them. They'll always attack, because attacking is a defense mechanism. As long as you're constantly drawing attention to the other, you never need to step back and take a look at yourself. Growing out of that mentality (and freeing themselves from their self-victimization) is a burden that's entirely their own.

Obviously, this 'attack, attack, attack' mentality sees depictions of gay people, women, et cetera as an easy target and a perpetual source of self-victimization, especially because it supposedly threatens one of their primary hobbies. The truth is, only the most extreme sorts of people really bother to argue about these sorts of things. Most people will see them, and even if they don't like them, just shrug their shoulder and go, "well, that sucks. Guess I'll play something else." The people who bother making it a federal issue are going to be on the fringe, one way or another.

I wish I could like this more than once. Very well said.

4 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Fun fact: games made for you aren't "made for everyone" either. Every piece of marketed media is made for an audience. Maybe you've just grown complacent and begun to assume that the default is for games to appeal to you?

Fun Fact "You people" can't make your own entertainment. can't make your own characters, because woke writers are worthless trash. when doom's next sequel comes out, I don't wanna se a rainbow coloured gay doom slayer. just make your own FUCKING games, and stories and stop subversively supplanting ours.