Resident Evil 2 Remake Main Discussion

Aranea Highwind

5 minutes ago, Bombstriker said:

Why is my man Mr. X wearing a hat? LMAO!!!

Somewhat unrelated but as much as we all love Resident Evil I don’t think we are on this dudes level hahaha 

Mr X is wearing a hat because the remake has some parts altered to be more like the cancelled 1.5 game.

Same reason why ada wears a coat in the beginning.

Just now, Void said:

I am the opposite, graphically it looks good though.

It could easily be beautiful and intense in FC however that is not why the game has not impressed me. I plan to gamefly it but it does look a lot closer to RE6 and yes you cannot really judge it until it is available. Unlike the purists I plan to at least play it but my expectations are very low.

who knows

On a side note the topic title is killing my OCD.

Hey man i get your point of RE6, to each their own!

On 18-6-2018 at 8:38 PM, ddracarys said:

Not at all, in fact I’m expecting a Resident Evil 3: Nemesis remake / remaster after this Resident Evil 2 remake dies down a little bit. It’ll obviously be some years off, heck it might even be for the PlayStation 5 system, but I would like to think a remake / remaster of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis is eventually going to be a thing.

After that though, I think Resident Evil should stop remaking and remastering games, so that we can focus on getting new installments. If a remake / remaster for Resident Evil 3: Nemesis eventually happens, that would make every numbered title in the series playable on the PlayStation 4 system (or PlayStation 5, if that’s where it ends up). That looks like a good place to stop, at least in my eyes.

After Code:Veronica they can stop it. ;P At least I hope they remaster that one to.

1 minute ago, SanhRim said:

Hey man i get your point of RE6, to each their own!

at least I plan to give the game a chance. While I would have loved an actual Remake I am fine with the Adaption we are getting as long as it is good. I feel it has too much "dlc" though which is part of the reason I will gamefly it. As with Capcom the game will likely get a "Gold/Complete/Ultimate/GotY" edition in about a year and If I do enjoy it then I will buy that edition.

That is why this site is great unlike say GameFAQs, you can express an opinion and not get attacked. You can have a conversation about your opinions.

5 minutes ago, Void said:

I am the opposite, graphically it looks good though.

Oh really? That sucks, graphically it does look great.

I'm just glad it's being done honestly but I guess it's not to everyone's liking.

As long as it strays away from 5 & 6 game-play wise then I don't mind. Action I like but on these kind of games, you want it minimal.

Just now, Void said:

at least I plan to give the game a chance. While I would have loved an actual Remake I am fine with the Adaption we are getting as long as it is good. I feel it has too much "dlc" though which is part of the reason I will gamefly it. As with Capcom the game will likely get a "Gold/Complete/Ultimate/GotY" edition in about a year and If I do enjoy it then I will buy that edition.

That is why this site is great unlike say GameFAQs, you can express an opinion and not get attacked. You can have a conversation about your opinions.

We're talking about Capcom,

So first we'll have the gold edition. 

THEN the complete edition,

THEN the goty edition. XD!

1 minute ago, SanhRim said:

We're talking about Capcom,

So first we'll have the gold edition. 

THEN the complete edition,

THEN the goty edition. XD!

pretty much the differences are that the "Gold" is basically the "Digital Deluxe" and the Complete will be the disc edition that follows in about a year, then maybe a year later a GotY edition with more extras on it.

On a somewhat related news apparently RE 3 remake is currently under development. The source of this leak has been truth in the past when they were sharing updates about RE 7.

Resident Evil 3 Remake is already in development. I hope Code Veronica happens as I do feel it’s the RE game most in need of a remake, but RE3 is the last mainline RE game that needed a version for easier porting in the future (RE0, RE1, RE2 (after REmake 2 comes out), Code Veronica, RE4, RE5, RE6, RE7, Revelations & Revelations 2 all have versions on MT Framework and RE Engine that be ported to future consoles, only RE3 is missing after REmake 2). Code Veronica I think depends more on how well REmake 2 and REmake 3 does though.

I’m keeping my lips sealed on anything else so don’t ask, but REmake 3 is in full development right now. I think beyond that they’re waiting to see how REmake 2 and REmake 3 perform, but REmake 2 almost assuredly is going to perform well.

https://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/rumor-resident-evil-3-remake-already-in-development/

• 2 weeks later...

Some information bits from various various interviews this past week.

-Earlier in development they wanted to release the game in time for RE2's 20th anniversary, but that proved to be too limited a time table. They did manage to get it done for the 21st anniversary week though.

-The corpses of zombies that the player has killed will remain the whole playthrough, even when you leave and return to locations, and it can be hard to know if a zombie is ever dead. On-top of this, they wanted to give the feeling of zombies "invading" rooms, when they're bursting through doors to come for you they tried to make it scary and put as much pressure on the player as possible and use distinct scary sound design to know they aren't safe and the zombie is coming for you. They want zombies to be scary and give off a sense they're an impossible to overcome force, you have to merely hold them back enough to do what you need to do. They also mention that boarding up windows is important, while there's not infinite number of zombies, over time more and more zombies will break into the police station in areas where the windows are not boarded up. In your first playthrough they recommend just boarding up as soon as you can certain areas you want to be safe, and in the second playthrough you can strategize more knowing the sorta' path you're going to take.

-They clarify to the above point that this is not an action game, it has action in it, but they focused far more on the adventure game elements this time around. If you try to kill everything, you're going to find really quickly you'll put yourself in a tight position with almost no resources for anything to come. They think if you could take out zombies easily or kill nearly every enemy, the fear of zombies would be reduced by at least half. The game has much bigger emphasis on exploring, puzzles, and other such things this time around as well. This said, they think making an easier difficulty for less experienced players was important, since this game is harder than your typical RE game. They also wanted to make modes for those who wanted additional challenge as well though. They say the difficulty modes in REmake 2 are very different to one another and change up a lot about the game for different kinds of audiences.

-They tested Fixed Camera, First-Person, VR, and Behind-The-Shoulder all for REmake 2, but for the game they wanted to make, they ultimately thought Behind-the-Shoulder was the best for this remake.

-For making a remake compared to a wholly original game, there's parts of it which are easier since you kinda' have an easy to rely on blueprint to follow and can forge ideas to how to re imagine it, but then also it can be tricky to decide what's crucial to the original, what can't be changed, what should be changed, and how to recreate feelings of the original for a modern audience. So while some parts of development and design are easier, other parts in turn become harder because you have to balance both modernizing but retaining what the original did, which can be tricky.

-This is a smaller point, but they comment why they don't have QTEs because they think it's not "interesting" to them or players, and wanted to come up with more interesting solutions to it. As an extension to this, RE7 and REmake 2 both experiment with how to make certain moments fully playable rather than making certain gameplay moments being wiggling some sticks or mashing buttons, which in REmake 2's case lead to the revival of the defense items from the original REmake.

-They mention there's an optional thing you can turn on for REmake 2 if you're having too much difficulty which sorta' simulates the "auto-aim" in the original RE2, where when you aim at an enemy it'll lock onto their weak points and you can put ammo into it. This is by default turned off, but can be turned on for those who need the help or those who want to play it more like the original RE2 where zombies take a certain amount of bullets to take down that's fairly consistent.

-On Resident Evil 1.5, they mention there was only one aspect they directly took from 1.5, and that was the Shooting Range from 1.5 is in the REmake in RPD, but they only added it since it made sense with the setting rather than that they specifically wanted to pull something from an abandoned version of the original. They do mention some things were done that they wanted to do for the original RE2 but couldn't back then due to limitations of hardware, one such thing being Mr. X and how he can constantly stalk the player through areas. This was something they wanted to do in the original, but the technology to do it back then wasn't possible.

-They think Capcom is well known for fantastic audio design, and think REmake 2's audio design, which they fully constructed within their own studios, will be a new hallmark for them.

-About remaking Leon and Claire, they wanted to capture that this is their younger years as both characters are fairly iconic at this point for the franchise. Leon is unreliable as he lacks experience, this is his first day as a cop and he isn't prepared for anything like this, but he is courageous and his heart is in a good place. He has a strong sense of justice and a certain charm to him, but at this point he wants to be better than he actually is, which they think leads well into his over-arching plot in the series. For Claire, she came here to find her brother, her gun is now a personal model rather than a police model like she had in the original, one she took herself in case there's any danger. She's spunkier and a bit more wild, but she does have a caring maternal side and wants to make a difference and save people in this disaster.

-For Sherry, they mention in the original it seemed like she was 6-8 years old or something, but she was actually 12. They want Sherry to be a bit more independent and capable than she was in the original RE2, she's still a child but a bit more independent and mature and feels more her age.

-For Ada, the reason she comes in a trench coat is because she sticks out too much in her red dress. More so, Ada reveals to Leon fairly early that she's a spy, but wins him over by convincing him she's a spy trying to save the world and put a stop to a danger to the world. She hides her true intentions from him. The red dress was too iconic to leave out, but they thought the trench coat transitioning to her regular red attire made a good physical representation of Ada's outer shell opening up a little bit more to closer to who she really is through Leon's innocent sense of justice and the two coming to rely a bit on one another.

-On Annette Birkin, she is a bit less physically attractive and messier than her original self. They thought this fit better and more realistic with her being a person who dedicates her life to her research, she's not caring too much about her appearances and lacks certain social niceties.

-Mr. X will be in both Leon and Claire's scenarios, and no matter who you play as first or second, he'll be in both.

-They mention for additional modes, they are "still undecided", which might mean they have some post-release plans or debating something right now?

-On HUNK and Tofu, they knew from the beginning they couldn't be cut from the remake. They think if you ask any RE2 fan, HUNK and Tofu's modes are an important part of RE2.

-The reason Elza Walker has a costume in REmake 2 is because of Hirabayashi. He really likes the character of Elza, and originally wanted her to be a character in the remake, but she didn't really fit into the narrative naturally anywhere. Some were against her costume inclusion, but ultimately they agreed to make it a costume for fans as a bonus DLC thing.

-They focused on two darker and more fleshed out campaigns than A/B scenarios this time around. They get to focus a lot more on fleshing out those campaigns and expanding the characters due to this though.

-They mention that the "entire final scene" of the game is only playable once you've completed Leon and Claire's campaigns.

-They mention they have not added any new creatures to REmake 2, but some of the creatures will appear in very different and expanded ways. They give an example with G-Mutant, who appears in a completely different way than he did in the original RE2, and they think there is more novelty to the bestiary that people know in how they're used in the REmake. They also tease that William Birkin will be transformed in a totally different way according to his different mutations, so people can look forward to being surprised by what Birkin has in store.

-They also mention there's a lot of new guns and gadgets though from the original RE2, as well as lots of new areas, puzzles, and the like.

-The red highlighted "R" and "E" in the Resident Evil 2 logo is supposed to stand for "REmake, or RE-Resident Evil 2". In Japan, the logo is more obvious since it's titled "Biohazard RE: 2", which can be taken as Resident Evil 2 or a Redone Resident Evil 2.

-On potential remakes in the future like REmake 2, they comment there is no doubt at this point that REmake 2 will make back it's cost and will make profit. It is natural to think about the next step after RE2, but right now they're focused on getting RE2 into the hands of buyers, but they sense the enthusiasm of fans, but have nothing to announce at this time.

-On what they to say on REmake 2 before its January 25th release; "RESIDENT EVIL 2 is full of "creativity" and "memories". It's also a frightening adventure, a human drama and a game-feeling focused on the fear of zombies. We hope that those who have experienced the original version will appreciate it and that new fans will also want to play it. "

Source

On 12/17/2018 at 9:27 PM, Aranea Highwind said:

Some information bits from various various interviews this past week.

-Earlier in development they wanted to release the game in time for RE2's 20th anniversary, but that proved to be too limited a time table. They did manage to get it done for the 21st anniversary week though.

-The corpses of zombies that the player has killed will remain the whole playthrough, even when you leave and return to locations, and it can be hard to know if a zombie is ever dead. On-top of this, they wanted to give the feeling of zombies "invading" rooms, when they're bursting through doors to come for you they tried to make it scary and put as much pressure on the player as possible and use distinct scary sound design to know they aren't safe and the zombie is coming for you. They want zombies to be scary and give off a sense they're an impossible to overcome force, you have to merely hold them back enough to do what you need to do. They also mention that boarding up windows is important, while there's not infinite number of zombies, over time more and more zombies will break into the police station in areas where the windows are not boarded up. In your first playthrough they recommend just boarding up as soon as you can certain areas you want to be safe, and in the second playthrough you can strategize more knowing the sorta' path you're going to take.

-They clarify to the above point that this is not an action game, it has action in it, but they focused far more on the adventure game elements this time around. If you try to kill everything, you're going to find really quickly you'll put yourself in a tight position with almost no resources for anything to come. They think if you could take out zombies easily or kill nearly every enemy, the fear of zombies would be reduced by at least half. The game has much bigger emphasis on exploring, puzzles, and other such things this time around as well. This said, they think making an easier difficulty for less experienced players was important, since this game is harder than your typical RE game. They also wanted to make modes for those who wanted additional challenge as well though. They say the difficulty modes in REmake 2 are very different to one another and change up a lot about the game for different kinds of audiences.

-They tested Fixed Camera, First-Person, VR, and Behind-The-Shoulder all for REmake 2, but for the game they wanted to make, they ultimately thought Behind-the-Shoulder was the best for this remake.

-For making a remake compared to a wholly original game, there's parts of it which are easier since you kinda' have an easy to rely on blueprint to follow and can forge ideas to how to re imagine it, but then also it can be tricky to decide what's crucial to the original, what can't be changed, what should be changed, and how to recreate feelings of the original for a modern audience. So while some parts of development and design are easier, other parts in turn become harder because you have to balance both modernizing but retaining what the original did, which can be tricky.

-This is a smaller point, but they comment why they don't have QTEs because they think it's not "interesting" to them or players, and wanted to come up with more interesting solutions to it. As an extension to this, RE7 and REmake 2 both experiment with how to make certain moments fully playable rather than making certain gameplay moments being wiggling some sticks or mashing buttons, which in REmake 2's case lead to the revival of the defense items from the original REmake.

-They mention there's an optional thing you can turn on for REmake 2 if you're having too much difficulty which sorta' simulates the "auto-aim" in the original RE2, where when you aim at an enemy it'll lock onto their weak points and you can put ammo into it. This is by default turned off, but can be turned on for those who need the help or those who want to play it more like the original RE2 where zombies take a certain amount of bullets to take down that's fairly consistent.

-On Resident Evil 1.5, they mention there was only one aspect they directly took from 1.5, and that was the Shooting Range from 1.5 is in the REmake in RPD, but they only added it since it made sense with the setting rather than that they specifically wanted to pull something from an abandoned version of the original. They do mention some things were done that they wanted to do for the original RE2 but couldn't back then due to limitations of hardware, one such thing being Mr. X and how he can constantly stalk the player through areas. This was something they wanted to do in the original, but the technology to do it back then wasn't possible.

-They think Capcom is well known for fantastic audio design, and think REmake 2's audio design, which they fully constructed within their own studios, will be a new hallmark for them.

-About remaking Leon and Claire, they wanted to capture that this is their younger years as both characters are fairly iconic at this point for the franchise. Leon is unreliable as he lacks experience, this is his first day as a cop and he isn't prepared for anything like this, but he is courageous and his heart is in a good place. He has a strong sense of justice and a certain charm to him, but at this point he wants to be better than he actually is, which they think leads well into his over-arching plot in the series. For Claire, she came here to find her brother, her gun is now a personal model rather than a police model like she had in the original, one she took herself in case there's any danger. She's spunkier and a bit more wild, but she does have a caring maternal side and wants to make a difference and save people in this disaster.

-For Sherry, they mention in the original it seemed like she was 6-8 years old or something, but she was actually 12. They want Sherry to be a bit more independent and capable than she was in the original RE2, she's still a child but a bit more independent and mature and feels more her age.

-For Ada, the reason she comes in a trench coat is because she sticks out too much in her red dress. More so, Ada reveals to Leon fairly early that she's a spy, but wins him over by convincing him she's a spy trying to save the world and put a stop to a danger to the world. She hides her true intentions from him. The red dress was too iconic to leave out, but they thought the trench coat transitioning to her regular red attire made a good physical representation of Ada's outer shell opening up a little bit more to closer to who she really is through Leon's innocent sense of justice and the two coming to rely a bit on one another.

-On Annette Birkin, she is a bit less physically attractive and messier than her original self. They thought this fit better and more realistic with her being a person who dedicates her life to her research, she's not caring too much about her appearances and lacks certain social niceties.

-Mr. X will be in both Leon and Claire's scenarios, and no matter who you play as first or second, he'll be in both.

-They mention for additional modes, they are "still undecided", which might mean they have some post-release plans or debating something right now?

-On HUNK and Tofu, they knew from the beginning they couldn't be cut from the remake. They think if you ask any RE2 fan, HUNK and Tofu's modes are an important part of RE2.

-The reason Elza Walker has a costume in REmake 2 is because of Hirabayashi. He really likes the character of Elza, and originally wanted her to be a character in the remake, but she didn't really fit into the narrative naturally anywhere. Some were against her costume inclusion, but ultimately they agreed to make it a costume for fans as a bonus DLC thing.

-They focused on two darker and more fleshed out campaigns than A/B scenarios this time around. They get to focus a lot more on fleshing out those campaigns and expanding the characters due to this though.

-They mention that the "entire final scene" of the game is only playable once you've completed Leon and Claire's campaigns.

-They mention they have not added any new creatures to REmake 2, but some of the creatures will appear in very different and expanded ways. They give an example with G-Mutant, who appears in a completely different way than he did in the original RE2, and they think there is more novelty to the bestiary that people know in how they're used in the REmake. They also tease that William Birkin will be transformed in a totally different way according to his different mutations, so people can look forward to being surprised by what Birkin has in store.

-They also mention there's a lot of new guns and gadgets though from the original RE2, as well as lots of new areas, puzzles, and the like.

-The red highlighted "R" and "E" in the Resident Evil 2 logo is supposed to stand for "REmake, or RE-Resident Evil 2". In Japan, the logo is more obvious since it's titled "Biohazard RE: 2", which can be taken as Resident Evil 2 or a Redone Resident Evil 2.

-On potential remakes in the future like REmake 2, they comment there is no doubt at this point that REmake 2 will make back it's cost and will make profit. It is natural to think about the next step after RE2, but right now they're focused on getting RE2 into the hands of buyers, but they sense the enthusiasm of fans, but have nothing to announce at this time.

-On what they to say on REmake 2 before its January 25th release; "RESIDENT EVIL 2 is full of "creativity" and "memories". It's also a frightening adventure, a human drama and a game-feeling focused on the fear of zombies. We hope that those who have experienced the original version will appreciate it and that new fans will also want to play it. "

Source

This has me so hyped :D 

• 3 weeks later...

Why topic with trophies has been deleted and why there isn't separate category for this game already? 

I think trophies are demanding, obviously the hardest ones are with Rank-S for both characters. I wonder if you can use in-game cheats, like in previous Residents (unlimited ammo, powerful weapons at start and etc.). You can also do it on Standard mode so I can bet it will lower somehow your score but I hope not. 

1 hour ago, Patrickosan said:

Why topic with trophies has been deleted and why there isn't separate category for this game already? 

I think trophies are demanding, obviously the hardest ones are with Rank-S for both characters. I wonder if you can use in-game cheats, like in previous Residents (unlimited ammo, powerful weapons at start and etc.). You can also do it on Standard mode so I can bet it will lower somehow your score but I hope not. 

Capcom has been issuing copyright strike on channels that make a video about the trophy list. We can safely assume they asked the website owner todelete the topic (they did this on Resetera when some images were leaked). A status update telling the community that Capcom issued a take down could have been done like other websites who reported on this did.

Edited by Aranea Highwind
  • Like 3