Resident Evil 2 Remake Main Discussion

Aranea Highwind

I never trust what they say to the press. I think they are trying to "appease" the fans that wanted FC in hopes of a few extra sales.Call me cynical (I am  and I know it) but that whole article just seemed fishy including the part about reviews. The more I read the more skeptical i become about this game, and not because of the camera change but because of capcom being capcom.

Some new info from the Famitsu interview is now available. Someone over Resetera was able to translate the interview so here's what Capcom has to say:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-few-new-resident-evil-2-remake-details-from-famitsu-replay-value-a-surprise-and-more.60763/

• Comments that the game is speed runner friendly, they avoided randomized design factors to help the speed running community with the game.
  • Also commented they made sure an all-knife run will be possible in REmake 2 for people who want that challenge.
  • Commented that REmake 2 is a lot more replayable than RE7, there is more reason to replay the game.
  • On that comment, they mention there's a certain unlockable in REmake 2 they haven't announced, something bigger than Tofu and Fourth Survivor Modes being in the game, that will tremendously increase replay value, but they're not announcing it at this time.
  • Mention they didn't want to go exactly for realism like RE7 in REmake 2, but do a sorta' stylized "Hollywood" look for the game, a stylized reality. They redid the style and graphics a lot to try and achieve the look they were going for.
  • Puzzles will be more "realistic", IE things integrated better into the game world and have an in-game logic to them and world building rather than puzzles just being randomly about.
  • Claire's depiction in REmake 2 is similar to Leon to help show who she was before she got pulled into all of this. “Claire is a very strong woman. She’s got spunk riding a motorcycle into town all by herself.” A free rebel of sorts who's come to find her brother and storm into a police station to do it.
  • Confirm the game will be at TGS, and that the game is mostly finished but just being polished now.

Here's the low resolution screenshot of Claire (higher resolutions should be available later today).

z1lQpBB.png

• Like 2

Went ahead and renamed the topic title as the OP has been updated and this has become a main discussion of RE 2 post E3 now.

EDIT:

Album with the below images and others not included on higher quality

https://imgur.com/a/Db3U2XT

http://www.capcom-unity.com/capkel/blog/2018/08/21/claire-returns-to-raccoon-city-in-new-resident-evil-2-info-from-gamescom

Character_Keyart.jpg

Recently revealed at gamescom, Claire makes her gameplay debut in Resident Evil 2! Providing a slice of her full campaign, Claire has her own terrifying encounter to deal with in the depths of the Raccoon City police station.

RE2_Gamescom_GL_03.jpg

Claire Redfield has been on a mission to find her missing brother Chris – a mission that brings her to Raccoon City. Fans of the original Resident Evil 2 will be intimately familiar with the iconic scene of Claire riding into town on her motorcycle, shortly before meeting up with rookie police officer Leon S. Kennedy and working together to escape the zombie hordes plaguing the city.

RE2_Gamescom_GL_02.jpg

Surviving the streets of the once-lively city, Claire manages to make her way to the Raccoon City police station, hoping to find information on the whereabouts of her brother, Chris… but she finds something much more sinister instead. In this preview, Claire explores a new portion of the R.P.D. before encountering a small, young abandoned child hiding in the sewers and waterways beneath the iconic station. Long-time fans need no introduction to who this child is, or the reason she’s running scared; Sherry Birkin warns Claire that a horrendous monster is right behind her, and the next chapter in her fight for survival begins.

RE2_Gamescom_GL_06.jpg

A mutated figure wielding a pipe is out to crush anything that stand in his way, and sets his eyes on our heroine as nothing more than a roadblock to be destroyed. The resourceful Claire will have her survival skills put to the test, but has a few weapons at her disposal - including a grenade launcher packed with flammable rounds of ammunition.

RE2_Gamescom_OS_02.jpg

Carefully navigating the machinery and steam coming from broken pipes, it’s hard to tell where an attack might come from next. Conserving ammunition is key, and knowing when, and where, to get a few shots in may be the only thing between survival and certain death in this tense encounter. Sending the creature over the edge will reunite Claire and Sherry, but for how long…?

RE2_Gamescom_GL_05.jpg

Just like with Leon, Claire will have her own, full campaign that takes her through Raccoon City, the police department, and beyond. Familiar faces from the original game have received stunning upgrades in this remake, using the RE Engine to scan real people, right down to their clothing, to bring the heroes, villains, and world of Resident Evil 2 to life. The new Resident Evil 2 wraps everything up in an experience that both veteran fans and Resident Evil newcomers can enjoy.

Edited by Aranea Highwind
  • Like 3

Thanks to renatabls for showing me this Japanese interview that was translated by a reddit user.

-They worked to make the story of RE2 more "dramatic", and shuffled some events around in order to do this. Chief Irons arriving after meeting Birkin for the first time is one example of this, but there's others. People also probably have noticed Marvin doesn't die when you first meet him. They say they think when people experience the story, they will agree that the changes they've made really helps the pacing and drama of the story. They also tease that Irons sticks around longer than he did in RE2 and becomes increasingly unpleasant, way beyond anything he did in RE2.

-Confirms the game has one story timeline (two separate campaigns but both Leon and Claire's campaign have events that are reflective tn the others campaign), and you see different sides of this story as Leon and Claire. Their stories are made to interconnect the events that happen in the other.

-They changed Sherry Birkin to become more like an actual little girl than a sorta' Japanese image of a little girl like was in the original RE2. They also changed her outfit to examplify she is lonely and kinda' weird, but in a rich and sheltered upbringing.

-The Birkin Form 1 battle in the Claire demo is customized for the short play time, giving the player a lot of weapons and ammo to play around with. In the actual game, you won't be arriving at that encounter as loaded as you see in the videos

-For the first encounter with William Birkin, they wanted to really emphasize the power that a G-Virus creature has, both as a destructive force on the move and how it corrupts a person. The fight takes place in the basement of the police station.

-In terms of game design, Birkin's Form 1's weakness is obviously the eye, but when choosing weakpoints they tried to work with what was in the original designs rather than making alterations to the classic designs. They also worked to introduce the idea of Birkin's eye being his weakpoint in this first form, but things may get more.... Complicated in Birkin's later forms once this idea is introduced.

-There are Main Weapons and Sub Weapons in REmake 2. Main Weapons are things like the handgun, shotgun, while Sub Weapons are things like the knife and grenades. Sub Weapons often have two uses, one as an option in combat, and one as a defensive item, a concept they brought back from the remake of the original Resident Evil. They say there's more sub-weapons than we've seen.

-Gunpowder from RE3/RE7 is in REmake 2, and with it you can make three kinds of bullets. You can simply use two weaker gunpowder to make handgun bullets, and a weaker gunpowder+stronger gunpowder to make Shotgun shells, and a stronger+stronger for another type of ammunition.

-Herb combinations are back, and REmake 2 has three types of herbs, Green, Red, and Blue. They mention there's enemies in REmake 2 that can poison the player, which blue herbs can fight against. In a new combination for the series, you may combine Red+Blue Herbs. Doing this not only makes you invulnerable to poison for a period of time, it also raises your defensive power by a lot for this period of time until it wears off.

-They have seen some of the divided response to Claire's new design, but they've worked hard on the new Claire and hope impressions will change as people see more of Claire in motion, being voiced, and her arc through the game.

-The part of the remake they probably spent the most time evolving for a modern version of the game were the zombies, they spent a lot of time thinking how to make them work best mechanically, look disturbing, feel somewhat scary to fight, how to make their movements unnerving, they wanted to remind people that zombies could be scary. Also mention they wanted the zombies to feel strong, like, "Why won't this thing die!?" They mention the zombies in REmake 2 can act like they're dead for a while, only to get back up. They can look like they should be dead, but just keep going. They wanted to make players not always feel like they reliably know that the zombie is dead.

-They confirm there's nothing like Crimson Heads in REmake 2.

-They put a lot of time into thinking how to make horror work best with this camera perspective, how audio plays into suspicion and fear, how turning a corner can be intimidating with the perspective, how something taking up your field of view quickly can be scary.

-On the switchable original OST that's DLC for the game (part of the Deluxe Edition). They mention it's the original OST, but it does function different than how it did in the original RE2. In the original RE2 the music would change at room changes or key events, while playing the original OST in this version the music changes depending on the situation. They also say if you have the DLC you can switch the music back and forth in the middle of play. They also hint that with the original OST, the title screen may play the original "Resident Evil 2" announcer voice.

-They want this game to show that behind-the-camera can be used really well for a horror game, and that the RE Engine can provide beautiful but twisted graphics and binaural sound design to unnerve the player. They say they know there's still many people who played the original fixed camera horror games and are impressed, and they haven't ruled out ever going back to the style yet, but they hope that users can experience this game with it's new perspective and come to love what they've done to realize horror from this perspective.

-They paid a lot of attention to small details in the game's look, details on character models like bite marks, wet clothes, burn models, being able to see under zombies skin when shot, etc. They also mention recently they've been working with NVIDIA for Ray Tracing, and seeing where it fits in the game to make it look even better, but that's not fully reflective in this version people have seen yet as they're still experimenting with it right now.

-Confirm PC versions can play in native 4k resolutions, and they're working hard to make the game on all platforms look beautiful and run stably for a solid gameplay experience no matter what platform you go on right now.

-They were absolutely honored that REmake 2 was one of the first third-party Japanese games to win best of E3 awards ever, they want to aim to make more titles and E3 presentations to wow people like REmake 2 has.

-Say to look forward to TGS, there will be a pretty big dump of information then and that Leon and Claire will both be playable at TGS.

Edited by Aranea Highwind

Currently playing through the original for the first time as a ps1 classic on the vita as I was initially dissapointed the remake removed the fixed camera angles which was something I loved about the RE1 remake I played on PS4 last year. I'm like halfway through or something and I'm enjoying it quite a lot, more than any other recent game I played without trophies. I still much preferred the first however which does have the advantage of being remastered and looking gorgeous on the PS4 with a trophy list and alternative control scheme but I did get used to the tank controls in RE2 pretty much straight away as they make sense and work perfectly fine (I don't get the fuss).

I'm looking forward to playing the remake now as the same location in a different perspective does seem interesting and of course it looks very pretty and will have trophies and I have decided I will go for the entire series which will take me many years. I watched some gameplay and they have added more stuff like story and cooler zombies and changed some things around and it looks good.

But yeah I think I prefer the first game as it leans more towards horror than action as opposed to 2 and I preferred the setting, being in a mansion, isolated in the middle of nowhere giving it a colder, more chilling and mysterious atmosphere and actually takes place in a residence something from what I've seen where only one other game in the series, RE7 takes place which is interesting.

I am going to be devil's advocate on this but the more I see of this the more it looks closer to RE6 than RE2. I am not hating on the game but i do feel that capcom is being misleading in what they are showing, I will still play the game and i will still play the game via gamefly. Just stating my caution and wariness of the marketing. Just to clarify I am not talking about camera angles only as the camera is only a small part of the series. I am also not saying the game will be bad in any way either, just to be cautious.

• 2 weeks later...