PS4 MHW: Join quest who both players at exact same story progression & both stuck at one monster?

bloodrive65

My friend & I are both stuck at the Diablos inside of MHW, we have both been playing together through the game all the way up to this point via Private Online Multiplayer Sessions. Due to the monster nearly being able to one-hit either myself, or my friend. How can we combat against this thing? What are some tactics to better fighting it, & how is the easiest way for us to join either of our missions to be able to beat the Diablos together & keep moving on?

I've used, the SoS flare, tried to join but it tells me & him that neither of us, are completely progressed far enough through the story. Although neither of can progress further due to the monster stopping us both from losing the fight.  I've been using: 

Lightning Nemesis II

Rathalos Helm

Rathalos Mail

Rathalos Vambraces

Hornetaur Coil & Greaves

Blaze Charm III

Ghillie Mantle

What stuff can we do to to better combat this monster?

Edited by bloodrive65

First and foremost, make sure to use screamer pods. These will interrupt the burrow attack. You have to fire them once Diablos is completely underground, even a bit of the tail not underground I have found to not hit. You can farm them from lesser/trash (don't remember the term) monsters above Diablos' cave. If you can, get the vitality mantle, this will give an an extra like 150 health or so, per use.

If you can upgrade your straight up armor count on your items, I would do that. Sacrificing damage for health/survivability is fine when you are struggling like this.

It is a tough fight. Keep it up, 5er.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Squirlruler said:

First and foremost, make sure to use screamer pods. These will interrupt the burrow attack. You have to fire them once Diablos is completely underground, even a bit of the tail not underground I have found to not hit. You can farm them from lesser/trash (don't remember the term) monsters above Diablos' cave. If you can, get the vitality mantle, this will give an an extra like 150 health or so, per use.

If you can upgrade your straight up armor count on your items, I would do that. Sacrificing damage for health/survivability is fine when you are struggling like this.

It is a tough fight. Keep it up, 5er.

All right thanks is there any good elements on any SnS weapons I can use against him? Thats what I main with as defensive

1 minute ago, bloodrive65 said:

All right thanks is there any good elements on any SnS weapons I can use against him? Thats what I main with as defensive

Ice is the best element and he is also weak against paralysis. I am not that familiar with SnS (I play just with LS), so I am not sure. :/ Sorry.

Reminds me, bring traps and trap him and then wail on him. Pitfall and Shock are great. I believe there are diminishing returns, so keep that in mind.

If you can get him to crash into walls/pillars he can get stuck which will allow you to land a few free hits.

First things first, your build is a complete mess. You use a lightning weapon yet you also use a charm that increases fire damage.

Just use a basic attack up or defense up charm, no need to go any crazier in low rank. Use the Legiana tree SnS. If that's not possible go with Girros tree. 

Sticking with the Rathalos set is fine, but make sure to upgrade it. 

It should be pretty obvious from looking at him but don't stand right in front of Diablos unless you use lance. He takes a fair amount of damage from behind. Watch out for the tells on his charge attack. Learn the timing on when he jumps out of the ground or use screamer pods. Don't heal while he's under the ground ever. You have a shield, use it.

1 hour ago, bloodrive65 said:

My friend & I are both stuck at the Diablos inside of MHW, we have both been playing together through the game all the way up to this point via Private Online Multiplayer Sessions. Due to the monster nearly being able to one-hit either myself, or my friend. How can we combat against this thing? What are some tactics to better fighting it, & how is the easiest way for us to join either of our missions to be able to beat the Diablos together & keep moving on?

You or both of you have to watch the cinematics until you can press Options and choose "Return from Quest". You should be able to both join the same quest from then on.

3 hours ago, Happy said:

First things first, your build is a complete mess. You use a lightning weapon yet you also use a charm that increases fire damage.

Just use a basic attack up or defense up charm, no need to go any crazier in low rank. Use the Legiana tree SnS. If that's not possible go with Girros tree. 

Sticking with the Rathalos set is fine, but make sure to upgrade it. 

It should be pretty obvious from looking at him but don't stand right in front of Diablos unless you use lance. He takes a fair amount of damage from behind. Watch out for the tells on his charge attack. Learn the timing on when he jumps out of the ground or use screamer pods. Don't heal while he's under the ground ever. You have a shield, use it.

Thanks much for all the details. I wasn't thinking about my charms. I've been using a the best armor I could get my hands on after farming the Rathalos a lot. I was using Shock Traps & Large Bombs to be able to hurt him. I used a Lightning weapon on him, because I don't really know his weaknesses yet, as for we fought him 3 different times. 

I didn't have a planned build either, I'm new the MH Series, so I wanted to try it out. But, when I need to use whetstone or a potion, I always hold my shield up incase of extra attacks in all my fights. What charm should I invest in??

OR you can link me to some good builds that'll work out well with the part of the game I'm in.

9 hours ago, bloodrive65 said:

Thanks much for all the details. I wasn't thinking about my charms. I've been using a the best armor I could get my hands on after farming the Rathalos a lot. I was using Shock Traps & Large Bombs to be able to hurt him. I used a Lightning weapon on him, because I don't really know his weaknesses yet, as for we fought him 3 different times. 

I didn't have a planned build either, I'm new the MH Series, so I wanted to try it out. But, when I need to use whetstone or a potion, I always hold my shield up incase of extra attacks in all my fights. What charm should I invest in??

OR you can link me to some good builds that'll work out well with the part of the game I'm in.

There isn't really all that many reasons or options to get very creative with your builds in low rank, it's best to simply go for a full set that has a set bonus that you like. Full Rathalos is a great option.

What charm works best for you kinda depends on your playstyle but generally speaking straightforward stuff such as attack up, defense up or guard up is never a bad idea.

You can refer to this video to get an idea of how to make future builds but you won't be able to do all that much with it until you get to high rank.

• 1 month later...