Gwent - Wyvern Card Random Drop - Downwarren Merchant

Narniak

So I was jumping all over the Skellige Isles finding any new merchants to play and pick up all the remaining random drop cards.  I had been meticulously tracking this with the checklist, and knew that I had exactly ONE random drop card left.  You guessed it, it's the dreaded WYVERN CARD!  So I beat a couple new merchants I have not yet played in Skellige, and suddenly they are not dropping any cards, only materials.  UH OH, IT'S FUBAR TIME!!

So I read some posts elsewhere concerning this Wyvern card, which should instead be called "The Witcher 3 Platinum Trophy" card.  This is the last random card that numerous people complain will never drop.  It seems that when you start playing any new merchant for the first time, the game locks in whatever random card is going to drop from them, and you can thereafter only get it from them and no other merchant anywhere in the game.  I am 90% sure that I started playing the lone merchant in Downwarren early on, but my deck wasn't yet strong enough to beat his Monster deck (yup, the one with the Wyvern card!).  No problem, let's just head back to Downwarren later to beat this merchant with my now OP decks.  SORRY MONKEY!!  This merchant has now disappeared, and is possibly one of the bodies hanging from a noose around the village.  I am fairly certain now that I'm locked forever from getting the Wyvern card, which of course means no collectible trophy for all cards, and no Platinum!

In summary, this bronze collectible trophy requires the 50+ RNG cards, which I now know also lock in to specific vendors the first time you play them.  So in addition to making manual saves before playing any new merchant, you better make DAME SURE you don't lose to any and then move on without making careful note of who and where they are.  At best, you will be spending hours/days making another world tour trying to find the one merchant you couldn't beat earlier in the game.  Nightmare scenario, you played and lost to the merchant in Downwarren, then moved on only to realize later that this NPC disappears later in the game, REGARDLESS of what decision you make with the tree spirit.  I killed the tree spirit, and the merchant still vanished later.  

There are more than likely some merchants or shopkeepers you haven't played against yet. I had a similar issue with my last card (I forget what it was exactly) and after playing against more merchants and shopkeepers I eventually got my last card. Some of them will just give you materials or a duplicate card, but that's fine since eventually one will give you the card you need. I do remember for my last card there were some merchants in Novigrad that you have to take some turns in an alleyway for.

So yeah, getting the card is random and you will get duplicate cards but I'm pretty sure it's designed in a way where you can't not get a card as long as there are still merchants or shopkeepers or blacksmiths you haven't played against yet. Are you using this site?

http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/gwent-players-merchants/

That one or the interactive map are very helpful to narrow down what cards you don't have and people you haven't played yet.

I hope you are right, because I don't have a save file old enough where that merchant in Downwarren is still alive.  I have a sinking feeling that this disappearing merchant is why so many people complain that the Wyvern card (and other monster cards) never drops, because he does use the Monster deck.  Yes I have that merchant list, the interactive map, along with the interactive checklist for all the cards.  I also have a YouTube video that walks thru all the other quest related cards and cards you buy from merchants. 

Up until now every new merchant that I beat dropped a card, sometimes a duplicate, but always a card if I hadn't yet beat them.  If I had beat them, then won again, they dropped materials.  There are some merchants I haven't played yet, but I take it as a huge red warning sign that suddenly my latest 2 new merchants in Skellige are dropping materials and not cards.  The last blacksmith guy even had a monster deck.

19 minutes ago, Narniak said:

I hope you are right, because I don't have a save file old enough where that merchant in Downwarren is still alive.  I have a sinking feeling that this disappearing merchant is why so many people complain that the Wyvern card (and other monster cards) never drops, because he does use the Monster deck.  Yes I have that merchant list, the interactive map, along with the interactive checklist for all the cards.  I also have a YouTube video that walks thru all the other quest related cards and cards you buy from merchants. 

Up until now every new merchant that I beat dropped a card, sometimes a duplicate, but always a card if I hadn't yet beat them.  If I had beat them, then won again, they dropped materials.  There are some merchants I haven't played yet, but I take it as a huge red warning sign that suddenly my latest 2 new merchants in Skellige are dropping materials and not cards.  The last blacksmith guy even had a monster deck.

I don't remember much about the Downwarren Merchant, but after digging a bit more, it doesn't look like he matters all that much according to some people. But I also came across something I forgot, and that is there are more opponents than there are random Gwent cards, so yeah chances are the opponents you haven't gone against yet will give you the card you need.

You mentioned beating an opponent after getting a card from them. You only get one card from an opponent, so if you already got a card and play them again then you will only get a random material. Saving and reloading doesn't actually help with getting a new card with a new opponent. Believe me I tried :P But yeah, you will get duplicate cards which while kind of annoying is normal, and you will eventually get the Wyvern card because the game will stop giving you duplicate cards like the weather cards and whatnot. If anything, there are opponents you probably have to go out of your way to look for, like that alleyway area in Novigrad I mentioned.

I will look for the merchants in the Novigrad alleyway tonight.  I have been manual saving BEFORE I play each new merchant as I come across them, which absolutely does allow you to manage random card drops.  I have been able to avoid numerous duplicate weather cards this way.  The problem with the Downwarren merchant is that once I lost to him a few times and got frustrated by my early weak card deck, I moved on without reloading the save I made before I played him.  I didn't realize that the specific card drop "locks in" once you initiate your first game with a new merchant.  This is why I am so upset and about 90% sure that I am completely screwed now from the Card Collector trophy.  

• 2 weeks later...

@Narniak

I am 100% sure that Downwarren merchant don't have the card you need. I received from him a duplicate card (generic card if I remenbered well, not even of one of the factions) and I played with him as soon as possible, so I didn't have a lot of cards in that moment.

On the other hand, there are more merchants than RNG cards needed. I played against everybody in Novigrad and Velen before to go to Skellige Islands and I am not sure how many merchants left me to play against (I think 5 or 6) when I got the last card.

So, don't worry. I used to be worried when I played the game because this trophy too, and there is no need to do it.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite what many may have you believe, playing a Random Player and losing DOES NOT lock them into giving you a certain Card. I intentionally losed against 2 Players and also backed out of a Match during the Deck select screen. I then came back 50 Gwent Players later after I was receiving NO MORE CARDS, and these 3 Gwent Players gave me NOTHING.

The cards gained are not in a random order, but in a somewhat, slightly fixed order. This is why almost everyone always get the Wyvern card last, im sure 90% of players always get the same card first also and so on

You need to find a player you haven't played yet and that can reward a card, thats all. We all refer to them as the random cards, but really, they are no way near as random as the name suggests. The NPCs that can be played and reward cards are all fixed, the cards we can receive are all fixed, and the order we receive the cards also seems to be fixed as well. 

The only RNG surrounding it, is that each reward can be one of the next 3 or so cards in the pool. It's not any card out of all 36, more 1 of a few. If everybody provided data of when they acquired each card and who from, you will find the NPC doesn't matter and that everybody acquired the cards in almost the same orders.

Edited by optimusmart