My PlayStation and Xbox dilemma

Cryogenicide_X

So to begin with, I have always been a PlayStation guy through and through ever since the original one and I'm PlayStation at heart. I do also own an Xbox One S and I just can't seem to bring myself to do gaming on it.

Whenever I try to play any games on the Xbox One S I just feel that I could be spending that time gaming on my PlayStation instead because it feels pointless on the Xbox, especially with me being Sony at heart. 

Does anyone else out there that owns both PlayStation and Xbox sometimes find it difficult which system to do gaming on when there more in favour of the one system over the other?

To be honest, I don't really ever bother with my Xbox that much actually, it never gets used. 

Edited by Cryogenicide_X

I have a PS4, Xbox One S and a Switch.  As you can imagine, with all of the crossover between the PS4 and Xbox One in particular... it's hard to decide where exactly to buy multiplatform games.  So I made a few simple guidelines for each platform.

PS4: Single player games, or single player games with multiplayer modes I never intend to play.  For example, Fallout 4, The Witcher III, Grand Theft Auto V (since I don't care about GTA:O).

Xbox One: Multiplayer games, or multiplayer games with offline/solo modes I never intend to play.  For example, NHL 18, Destiny 2, Divinity: Original Sin (since I'd never not play it coop).  It helps my buddy that I play games with the most is an Xbox guy.  I also save money not having to keep up both Xbox Live Gold and PS+ for multiplayer purposes.

Switch: Indies, retro platformers, games that "feel" like old NES/SNES games or fitting on a Nintendo console.  For example, Axiom Verge, Owl Boy.

Obviously, exclusives happily go to their respective platforms regardless of these guidelines.  And exceptions are made in situations where games look/run/play better on (or not on) a specific platform.

In your case... it sounds like there wouldn't necessarily be a set of guidelines that'd work for you (but who knows).  Based on what you've said, I'd agree with the person above me about just selling the Xbox if you aren't using it, and put that money towards Playstation games or something else.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

I'd sell it unless you have a designated, specific purpose for it. Otherwise, it's just there collecting dust until some mind-blowing, must-have exclusive to play on it.

I have a PS4, PS3, and a 3DS and they serve their purpose.  I play the PS3 when the PS4 for at-home gaming while I use the 3DS if I am on a business trip or if I am on the go traveling for holidays. It works perfectly. However, your case is quite different. You feel like you are simply splitting time between the 2 consoles and the overwhelming favorite appears to be the Sony consoles. Therefore, the Xbox One S really doesn't do much for you at all atm.

I used to have an original Xbox, but that's as far as I ever went with that console. ? Sony has always had the superior console imo, any games that Xbox has that I would want to play, Playstation has as well, plus far better exclusives (honestly I'd sooner get a Nintendo system before Microsoft's, at least they have some exclusives I'd actually be interested in). ?

Of course since this is a Playstation-based site, most of the answers you get here will probably be pretty much the same. :P But if you really don't play/enjoy it that much, I'd just do what the others have said & just sell it, no point in letting it sit around & gather dust (since the longer you wait, the more the price will decrease). :hmm: 

46 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I have a PS4, Xbox One S and a Switch.  As you can imagine, with all of the crossover between the PS4 and Xbox One in particular... it's hard to decide where exactly to buy multiplatform games.  So I made a few simple guidelines for each platform.

PS4: Single player games, or single player games with multiplayer modes I never intend to play.  For example, Fallout 4, The Witcher III, Grand Theft Auto V (since I don't care about GTA:O).

Xbox One: Multiplayer games, or multiplayer games with offline/solo modes I never intend to play.  For example, NHL 18, Destiny 2, Divinity: Original Sin (since I'd never not play it coop).  It helps my buddy that I play games with the most is an Xbox guy.  I also save money not having to keep up both Xbox Live Gold and PS+ for multiplayer purposes.

Switch: Indies, retro platformers, games that "feel" like old NES/SNES games or fitting on a Nintendo console.  For example, Axiom Verge, Owl Boy.

Obviously, exclusives happily go to their respective platforms regardless of these guidelines.  And exceptions are made in situations where games look/run/play better on (or not on) a specific platform.

In your case... it sounds like there wouldn't necessarily be a set of guidelines that'd work for you (but who knows).  Based on what you've said, I'd agree with the person above me about just selling the Xbox if you aren't using it, and put that money towards Playstation games or something else.

Perfect .. the right way of thinking.

I did the opposite with Xbox 360 (jtaged) and PS3 (non-jailbroken).

360 for free single player games and free dlc's, PS3 for free online gameplay.

Edited by Mefta7_Alfaraj

It's hard for most to be in two of the gaming ecosystems. No matter how hard you try one ecosystem will always take most of your time over the other. 

I would say keep the xbox and if any xbox exclusive comes out that you want to play, then pull out the xbox and play it.

I got an Xbox 1 S also but I'd say 95% of my game time is spent on PS3/PS4. I pretty much missed out on the 360 so I use it for BC and current exclusives only. Everything else I play on PS systems. So yeah my Xbox is collecting dust for the most part but there are still games that I want to play on it so I'm holding on to it. If you can't say the same just sell it.

• Like 1

I had both for a while, but ended up selling my Xbox a couple years ago. There's just nothing to play on it. Even now there isn't a single game I would want one for. So, I had that problem before, and just sold my Xbox, because it did feel a bit pointless playing games on it. Since everything I was playing was multiplatform or just a re-release.

Having multiple consoles can be challenging when deciding what games you want to play and what you favor the most. I only have a PS4 right now (Wii U doesn't count anymore) and It's been my primary choice for this generation minus some PC games and my Vita. If you don't use your Xbox anymore and you feel you aren't going to get anything out of it, just sell it and put it towards games you want to play!

I am like most gamers and have PS4, Switch, 3DS, Vita, and Xbox so you can imagine my situation. However the only thing I use my Xbox for is exclusives like Gears or Halo. Other than that I don’t use it. I don’t think I have turned it on since this past November lol. I don’t want to sell it though just cause Gears is my favorite Xbox franchise from the 360 days.

Edited by ShadowSigmaX

I have a PS4, PS3, Vita, DSi and 3DS XL. I like PS the best for trophies and games, especially because I'm into JRPGs which xbox tends to lack compared to Playstation. Xbox seems to focus more on Western games, while Sony has both Western as well as a lot of Japanese games and RPGs. I use my vita just for visual novels or otome games, and I stopped playing my DS/3DS. Although before, my all my Nintendo handhelds since the gameboy days were purely just for Pokemon. The only non pokemon games I played on Nintendo were the FF and KH spin offs and Harvest moon. 

I sold my Wii as I didn't like the controls. But with regards to PS or Xbox,  Sony seems to have more exclusives probably due to all the jrpgs like Disgaea, Persona, Tales etc. but many games are released on both systems eventually. Personally I'm not a fan of xbox because of the gaming library. 

• 1 month later...

I always had all consoles, and last gen I started with 360, but after getting a ps3 very late on I started playing cross platform games I like on playstation because trophies are just a far better system to achievement points (there was nothing equivalent to the platinum), plus I much preferred the symmetrical analogue sticks even attached to that badly constructed controller. I never even saw a reason to get the Xbox this gen and, having not logged in for a while, MS rudely deleted my account with all its achievement points. I don't see myself going back now as I have too many trophies and digital games in the playstation ecosystem. 

Which is all to say that I made this choice at the end of last gen and trophies won out. But this is from a single player only gamer

On 15.6.2018 at 1:54 AM, Cryogenicide_X said:

Does anyone else out there that owns both PlayStation and Xbox sometimes find it difficult which system to do gaming on when there more in favour of the one system over the other?

You could do something crazy and sell both, then get a Switch instead! :D

Except for the years when I was a trophy and achievement junkie, I always used to have all major systems. Now I'm back to playing games on all of them, with the exception of Xbox because I get all Microsoft exclusives and third party games on PC. Switch and PS4 are for Sony and Nintendo exclusives.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 9:34 PM, Gscorpio14 said:

trophyless games

Outside of Onigiri what else doesn't have trophies on PS4 but has achievements on Xbox?

Just another fun fact: NBA 2K18: The Prelude has trophies but no achievements. Some achievement hunters were livid about this.