Compared to Heavy Rain

JoocyMan

How does it compare? I was a huge fan of Heavy Rain, but never got to Beyond: Two Souls. Heard it wasn't great though. So without spoiling anything, how do you guys think this stacks up? Is there as much mystery and suspense this time around? As much choice? How many endings are there?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JoocyMan said:

How does it compare? I was a huge fan of Heavy Rain, but never got to Beyond: Two Souls. Heard it wasn't great though. So without spoiling anything, how do you guys think this stacks up? Is there as much mystery and suspense this time around? As much choice? How many endings are there?

I haven't played Detroit but you should give Beyond a try if you liked Heavy Rain. 

It wasn't as good as Heavy Rain but still had some very good moments.

• Like 2

Thought it was much better than Heavy Rain. But no there's not as much mystery and suspense in Detroit because it's not that sort of story. Can't say how many endings there are since there are such slight details that can change the endings. 

Seeing as you liked Heavy Rain then just give it a go. Different sort of story but still one that sucks you in and is very enjoyable.

• Like 1

So far I've enjoyed every Quantic Dream title I ever played and there is a very good chance you will love Detroit if you enjoyed Heavy Rain. In my opinion the story is even more emotional than Heavy Rains and your choices/answers lead to even more different possibilities. It is absolutely impossible to see everything if you play through it only once so there is lots of replay value.

Edited by hbg
  • Like 3

Detroit is my favorite game by Quantic Dream and I personally think it's better than Heavy Rain in every aspect.. The soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in years, graphic is one of the most realistic ones so far and you simply gotta love the characters. 

My ranking of QD games:

1. Detroit

2. Beyond

3. Heavy Rain

4. Indigo Prophecy

When I played Heavy Rain for the first time on PS3, I really loved it. It was also the reason why I started collecting trophies back then. When Beyond came out, I felt it wasn't as good as Heavy Rain... but at that time, it's been several years since I've played HR.

In 2015 I played Heavy Rain and Beyond back to back on PS4, and Heavy Rain suddenly felt a lot worse than Beyond... Probably because it had some logic errors I couldn't ignore that time around.

But still, I am a huge fan of Quantic Dream games and all of them are worth a try!

Edited by Izul
  • Like 4

Detroit > Heavy Rain > Farenheit > Beyond 2 Souls 

Detroit is great, looks great well acted good story and most importantly your choices actually matter unlike almost every other adventure game which massive braches, eg how indivudual characters feel about you, how society sees you, sometimes messing up as one character is good for anouther eg messing up with Connor can help Markus etc. 

I love Heavy Rain too lots of your choices actually did impact it though not at the level of Detroit, I enjoyed the story despite same sometimes poor acting and obvious plot contrivances/holes like

Spoiler

the entire Scott Shelby character.

Farenheit I thought was really funny, one of the best video game trainwrecks, the entire 2nd half made me laugh and I thought I had accidentally put in a different game or something, it was also pretty unique as well.

Beyond Two Souls I just thought was pretty lame from begining to end it wasn't laugh out like like Farenheit just kind of mediocre outside some nice graphics and your choices didn't really matter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

100% better than Beyond & Heavy Rain. I played both extensively and man, Detroit just takes the cake. For one Beyond is a little too "supernatural" to be my favorite, but it's still solid. Heavy Rain is the one that's most grounded in reality, and my second favorite. Detroit is still in reality seeing how likely it is to actually happen 20 years from now. The thing with Detroit is, despite it being the most beautiful of the trio (although that's an unfair comparison to make), choices have the biggest impact. The paths Quantic Dream has constructed are so elaborate. The endings are virtually endless, all catering to different play-styles. The characters are superbly written and I'm so invested in them, so much so that I genuinely did not want to make any bad decisions on my subsequent playthroughs so that I don't see anything bad happen to them - even though I intend to explore as many circumstances as possible xD. To put it bluntly, Detroit is a masterpiece. It's my fourth favorite PS4 exclusive, and a must-play of the generation. The only drawback is gonna be waiting 3-5 years for QD's next game ?.

On 6/15/2018 at 5:51 PM, DrHambone said:

Heavy Rain was awesome - I am happy there are more games like it now. Beefed up versions of Telltale games :P

Tell me about it. Here, choices actually matter LOL.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think from Heavy Rain through Detroit, the games have gotten progressively better, albeit slightly so. I replayed Heavy Rain and Beyond before playing Detroit, and my opinion remains firm in that I prefer Detroit, Beyond, then Heavy Rain. I did really enjoy Heavy Rain the first time I played it, but after playing it again I realized that the branching story isn't that impressive and the acting is pretty bad sometimes. I still enjoyed Beyond almost as much as I did the first time around. It has its awkward moments but I still liked the story. And the acting was a lot better. Now, Detroit has a pretty impressive storyboard where there are many alternate paths and choices that significantly impact the story. I honestly think it's the most impressive decision-based game I've seen in terms of how much impact your actions actually have on the story. And the acting and visuals are great imo. Maybe not the most original idea for a story but I really enjoyed it regardless.

• Like 3

Dayum, interesting how many people thought Detroit was better than Heavy Rain. Don't get me wrong - I LOVED Detroit but Heavy Rain is just unbeatable storywise - imo. I was able to symapthize more with the characters from Heavy Rain and it felt much more "real" plus the plot twist(s) are/were just amazin. However, my preference might be a result of my dislike in sci-fi.

Edited by triplejmzu8
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, triplejmzu8 said:

Dayum, interesting how many people thought Detroit was better than Heavy Rain. Don't get me wrong - I LOVED Detroit but Heavy Rain is just unbeatable storywise - imo. I was able to symapthize more with the characters from Heavy Rain and it felt much more "real" plus the plot twist(s) are/were just amazin. However, my preference might be a result of my dislike in sci-fi.

I could only sympathize so much with voice acting as bad as Heavy Rain’s. One of the only character performances I could tolerate was Madison’s and I think that’s because she’s like the only American actor in the game. Detroit on the other hand has phenomenal actors, a more impressive world, much more impactful choices, and a better story overall.

Edited by SuperSaiyan3985
  • Like 1

I don't know about suspense but if you're looking for drama it has tons of it. It's basically just more of what made Heavy Rain good in the first place, instead of gritty crime drama it's a rather watered down freedom movement. If you liked Heavy Rain though Detroit is a great next step.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

I couldn’t only sympathize so much with voice acting as bad as Heavy Rain’s. One of the only character performances I  could tolerate was Madison’s and i think that’s becaude she’s like the only American actor in the game. Detroit on the other hand has phenomenal actors, a much more impressive world, much more impactful choices, and a better story overall.

I only know the german voice acting of Heavy Rain and imo it was excellent.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Janire1911 said:

Of the three games, Heavy Rain is by far my least favorite. I just found it to be quite boring, though it did get better towards the end and there were very few characters I cared about. On the other hand, I really enjoyed both Detroit and Beyond

That's rare to hear, from what I've seen most people tend to think Beyond is the worst.

7 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

That's rare to hear, from what I've seen most people tend to think Beyond is the worst.

Yeah, I expected more from Heavy Rain after all the praise I'd heard but in the end the characters just didn't click for me. The only ones I really cared about were Lauren and Scott. I must admit though 

Spoiler

that the reveal that Scott was the Origami killer really surprised me and was the highlight of the game for me.

In Beyond on the other hand I really liked and cared for Jodie and that made the game much more enjoyable for me.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 4:02 AM, Janire1911 said:

Yeah, I expected more from Heavy Rain after all the praise I'd heard but in the end the characters just didn't click for me. The only ones I really cared about were Lauren and Scott. I must admit though 

Hide contents

that the reveal that Scott was the Origami killer really surprised me and was the highlight of the game for me.

In Beyond on the other hand I really liked and cared for Jodie and that made the game much more enjoyable for me.

I agree, when 

Spoiler

Scott Shelby was revealed to be the Origami Killer I was slapped in the face. He was one of the last people I expected.

Also, I concur with your empathy for Jodie. She's one of the most oppressed videogames characters I've ever seen and I did pity her.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I may be the minority here but I don't think Detroit is that much better than Heavy Rain or Beyond. Detroit may be a better polished game and has a better crafted structure. But I don't see David Cage's writing in Detroit, as the main attracting point of all his games, going to a higher level. (So the police will miss the ever-so-obvious attic, twice...SMH)

On 9/19/2018 at 11:59 AM, Maverick6146 said:

I may be the minority here but I don't think Detroit is that much better than Heavy Rain or Beyond. Detroit may be a better polished game and has a better crafted structure. But I don't see David Cage's writing in Detroit, as the main attracting point of all his games, going to a higher level. (So the police will miss the ever-so-obvious attic, twice...SMH)

No the focal point of his writing lies in the characters. I've rarely ever felt this invested with characters before and TBH getting the Platinum was rough having to kill Connor 8 times LOL.

14 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

No the focal point of his writing lies in the characters. I've rarely ever felt this invested with characters before and TBH getting the Platinum was rough having to kill Connor 8 times LOL.

I don't disagree with what you said. However, my feeling to this game, as a whole, is that the background set up is too far a reach to make them really being attached. Apparently DC tried to tap on social issues. whatever his purpose is. However, I don't think he's fully capable of doing that and he took lots of shortcuts. 

I think we can agree to disagree here and I am happy that you enjoyed the game or character.

8 hours ago, Maverick6146 said:

I don't disagree with what you said. However, my feeling to this game, as a whole, is that the background set up is too far a reach to make them really being attached. Apparently DC tried to tap on social issues. whatever his purpose is. However, I don't think he's fully capable of doing that and he took lots of shortcuts. 

I think we can agree to disagree here and I am happy that you enjoyed the game or character.

I just feel like people go out of their way to look for flaws in David Cage's games rather than enjoying them for what they are. The man gets so much flak.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 15/06/2018 at 8:47 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

I haven't played Detroit but you should give Beyond a try if you liked Heavy Rain. 

It wasn't as good as Heavy Rain but still had some very good moments.

I liked Heavy Rain very much but i had no fun playing Beyond two souls.

In heavy rain you go where you want, do what you want to achieve your abjective or not (if you die) 

In beyound you have one fucking path. You do what the game want you to do and i felt zero freedom. When i wanted to leave someone, my character turned back. When i wanted to explore the map my character turned back. 

I really hope DBH's more like HR than BTS. If it's not i would have spent 30 bucks in the trash