Why do I feel the need to complete EVERY game?

SirShavesALot

Why do I feel the need to complete every game?  I don't mean story mode, I mean trophies.  While not all of my games are 100%, and I know some of them will never be 100%, I still have this nagging in the back of my head that I need to go back and complete as much as possible.  If you look at my profile I'm only missing 139 trophies while I have earned 7,005.  For some reason, over the past week or so I have had this urge to go back to my PS3 games and clean up the trophies there.  I honestly have no idea why.  I've been bashing my head against a wall trying to get "Never Give Up" in Dead Nation and I have also been trying to complete Grounded Mode+ in TLoU.  I'm always checking to see if DLC has been added to games like Warframe, Rocket League, Killing Floor 2, etc.  Why am I doing this to myself?  I know it has a bit to do with OCD but there has to be some way to break the cycle.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.  Please be nice.  ?  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Neocarleen said:

Could be a sign of mental illness if the compulsion is interfering with your daily life.

or you just need to chill out.

Definitely not mental illness.  Doesn't interfere with my daily life.  I like your second suggestion.  I'll just chill out.  ?

8 hours ago, SirShavesALot said:

Why do I feel the need to complete every game?  I don't mean story mode, I mean trophies.  While not all of my games are 100%, and I know some of them will never be 100%, I still have this nagging in the back of my head that I need to go back and complete as much as possible.  If you look at my profile I'm only missing 139 trophies while I have earned 7,005.  For some reason, over the past week or so I have had this urge to go back to my PS3 games and clean up the trophies there.  I honestly have no idea why.  I've been bashing my head against a wall trying to get "Never Give Up" in Dead Nation and I have also been trying to complete Grounded Mode+ in TLoU.  I'm always checking to see if DLC has been added to games like Warframe, Rocket League, Killing Floor 2, etc.  Why am I doing this to myself?  I know it has a bit to do with OCD but there has to be some way to break the cycle.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.  Please be nice.  1f607.png  

I feel your pain.  I'm sorta the same.  I don't think it's a bad thing.  As long as you're having kinda fun getting those trophies then it's all good.  

On 16/06/2018 at 11:44 PM, SirShavesALot said:

Why do I feel the need to complete every game?  I don't mean story mode, I mean trophies.  

That's the case for a lot of people especially on a site like this dedicated to trophy hunting. For me, I care more about getting the trophies as well, even if not getting 100% for a game if there is no trophy. I never to extra stuff in games that isn't linked to trophies and tend to only focus on trophy material, and once getting the Plat that game is never touched again. 

Feeling the need to clean up trophies and get a high completion is not a bad thing but can give you stress if there's some particularly hard/ frustrating trophies. I used to be obsessed with getting all the Tales and FF trophies, but FFX and Tales of Symphonia drove my patience to the limit, so now I just decided to go for games I like, enjoy and have a reasonable difficulty rating/ time.

Games are there to enjoy and plenty of great new games coming out, so if you focus on digging out your ps3 games and cleaning up old plats, you may not get around to all the new releases from E3. 

I also like to think that a high completion rate is proof that I haven't completely wasted my money. I don't see anything negative in it, as long as people don't drive themselves in to a corner with the impossible. There has to be some breathing room, so old games don't kill the hobby. For now my goal is simply a "positive trend". Realistically speaking I know I did a pretty good job with my games past spring, but it's just that there is always the next game so the "victory" tends to feel short-lived. I guess that's just the nature of this hobby.

I don't see completionist how "people who no want waste money" because stack 10 skipped visual novels is waste money... We are a profile of player, at the end we do the same with our games (get trophies) and after we are influenced for our community and the way of thinking of differents groups and after we decide our own conclusion about what kind of  trophy hunter we want be. 

Edited by AlchemistWer
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlchemistWer said:

I don't see completionist how "people who no want waste money" because stack 10 skipped visual novels is waste money... We are a profile of player, at the end we do the same with our games (get trophies) and after we are influenced for our community and the way of thinking of differents groups and after we decide our own conclusion about what kind of  trophy hunter we want be. 

What if they get satisfaction out of skipping that VN? I don't think it should be considered wasted money then. 

Regardless, in the end, I'm going to assume you're gaming for fun and not as a job, so just do whatever makes you happy. If this sudden epiphany of yours causes you to have less fun with completing things, then you can try not doing it and see how it works out for you. I don't know your psych, so you'll just need to explore

(I only feel money is wasted if the money you spent is only making your life worse.)

14 minutes ago, bladesoframen said:

What if they get satisfaction out of skipping that VN? I don't think it should be considered wasted money then. 

Regardless, in the end, I'm going to assume you're gaming for fun and not as a job, so just do whatever makes you happy. If this sudden epiphany of yours causes you to have less fun with completing things, then you can try not doing it and see how it works out for you. I don't know your psych, so you'll just need to explore

(I only feel money is wasted if the money you spent is only making your life worse.)

Only people who looking forward archivement skip visual novels... If people enjoy do it then they can download a lot of vn on pc a do the same without trophies and archivements of course. ☺️

Why you assume I play for fun or job? I only said what I think about my perception about waste money how trophy hunter, oh sure... I forgoted put that how my personal opinion... if I offend you I apologize.

4 hours ago, AlchemistWer said:

Only people who looking forward archivement skip visual novels... If people enjoy do it then they can download a lot of vn on pc a do the same without trophies and archivements of course. 263a.png

Why you assume I play for fun or job? I only said what I think about my perception about waste money how trophy hunter, oh sure... I forgoted put that how my personal opinion... if I offend you I apologize.

Sorry I was directing the 2nd sentence towards the op. If you're happy with how you spend money, all is good.

I'm guessing you're not enjoying what you're doing which is why you've said you want to break the cycle. If the reward is not worth the effort then yes it's time to stop.

It's all easier said than done though, you look at your profile, you see a game incomplete and want to complete it, seeing 100% closes it off and clears it from the back of your mind, otherwise it's always there, nagging.

I've looked at your profile and I've never seen anyone's profile as close to mine - if I installed all the games I've purchased, you have probably the best trophy list I've seen in a long time, a considerable amount taking effort (and you didn't auto-pop sound shapes for easy trophies, big thumbs up ?).

I'm trying to break the "Completionist" cycle because I simply do not have the time to do what you have done. I got down to 12 unearned trophies last year which were unearned due to server closures. My current estimated completion time for all the 101 incomplete/un-played games I own is 2029 as I only get a couple of hours a day. To put it another way it will never happen, so I either play and enjoy every game and then move onto the next or play maybe a third of them to completion and never get to experience the others. I'm trying the former.

I say trying because here is where I say it's easier said than done. This past week I've installed 5 games and am flitting between them and it's actually quite tricky. After having the "completion" bug for so many years and finishing one game at a time my heads all over the place, it's ridiculous. I think a lot of that though is having outstanding online trophies, but why should that matter, I'll never be able to 100% every game I have so why worry.

So yes, from my experience it's hard to break the cycle the longer you've been doing it and there's no easy answer depending on your mindset, it's one you'll have to come to on your own.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have those moments from time to time where I feel like I need to complete everything I touch. I remember a point where I contemplated deleting trophy history for every game I launched and didn't do well in because the lack of progress showing on my account drove me crazy. I got over it and now try to focus on having fun, but you're not alone! Just be careful the [obsession/compulsion?] doesn't interfere with your actual life. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2018 at 6:44 PM, SirShavesALot said:

Why do I feel the need to complete every game?  I don't mean story mode, I mean trophies.  While not all of my games are 100%, and I know some of them will never be 100%, I still have this nagging in the back of my head that I need to go back and complete as much as possible.  If you look at my profile I'm only missing 139 trophies while I have earned 7,005.  For some reason, over the past week or so I have had this urge to go back to my PS3 games and clean up the trophies there.  I honestly have no idea why.  I've been bashing my head against a wall trying to get "Never Give Up" in Dead Nation and I have also been trying to complete Grounded Mode+ in TLoU.  I'm always checking to see if DLC has been added to games like Warframe, Rocket League, Killing Floor 2, etc.  Why am I doing this to myself?  I know it has a bit to do with OCD but there has to be some way to break the cycle.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.  Please be nice.  1f607.png  

Hmmm... 

I think completing a video game gives you a sense of accomplishment that is relatively unique among the things you might be skilled at doing.  Another positive read on this is that you are thrifty:  Rather than splurge on getting more games, you need to finish up what you've got.  On the other hand, a negative interpretation of what you're doing would be compulsiveness; and like others have said before me, if the urge to beat games starts overwhelming more practical ways to spend your time or interfering with work, then you've got a problem.

That said, I don't think it's worth interpreting your feelings as negative or problematic.  The worst things you've said in your post is "bashing my head against a wall" which ain't literal and "I know it has a bit to do with OCD" which, again, isn't necessarily a bad thing either.  If you are striving for completion but can't seem to enjoy it when it happens, then we need to talk.  :P

I like to be a completionist and I even do stuff in games I don't have to do trophy wise just to have the feeling I've seen almost everthing and I've done everything I could. It's my way to value the game. And I think it's fine to have now and then the urge to go back to incomplete games. 100% looks so good and... complete :D. Of course there will be stuff you may not like to do but on the other hand going back can also be fun and entertaining. Maybe there was a hard challenge you weren't motivated to and now have the time to get satisfaction out of it. Or another playthrough you didn't want to do because you were oversaturated from that game, waiting a year or so can make another run enjoyable again.

What I didn't like was the time when trophy lists influenced my selection of new games for the sake of 100%. After I realised that, I forced myself to start super Meat Boy, because I knew I most likely would never complete it (for the record I still go back to that game and after years just one trophy is left for completion :D). To some extend I still look at lists in advance (I don't like unobtainable trophies) but otherwise I just go with the flow of what I want and what I like. If I don't complete it right away then I may go back some other time or even years later. As long as you don't have to force yourself to play a game you have no fun with, everthing is good.

• Like 1