PlayStation Store Prepaid Cards in danger of being discontinued?

Alantor32

29 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

Lots of people. Here are various reasons.

1 - Sometimes the browser doesn't take your card info and you have to enter it over and over again.

2 - Sometimes PlayStation will renew PS+ and other services even if you've opted out of auto-renew. If your bank/PayPal reverses the charge, your account might get banned.

3 -  If you do have your account on auto-renew but your card on file happened to expire or otherwise get cancelled, and Sony tries to charge you, your account might get banned.

4 - (and this was the reason I removed all forms of payments from my account in favor of prepaid cards) If someone hacks your account, Sony will do absolutely nothing to help you and will gladly leave you with a bill of hundreds of dollars of things you didn't buy. And, again, can't dispute it with your bank lest your account be banned. 

5 - The store doesn't have an option to give gifts directly to people. If you want to gift someone money for a game, you probably aren't also going to want to gift them your credit card number. And I'd imagine if the do away with prepaid cards because of fraud, they'd get rid of digital game codes too...

The first one I understand that. The rest are all wrong. Even if you have PS Plus on auto-renew and you don't have enough money to renew it. You won't get banned for that, but you lose your subscription. If your doing gifts to people for kindness such as helping trophies etc, You won't get banned for that.

15 minutes ago, holyboi_18 said:

I hope this isn't true as amazon only has $50 psn codes so I had to go to Best Buy (online) to get my plus renewed also they have codes for $20 as well as $10,$50 & $100 but that's for physical cards.

It's 100% not true.

Edited by Nexuds121

13 minutes ago, Nexuds121 said:

The first one I understand that. The rest are all wrong. Even if you have PS Plus on auto-renew  and you don't have enough money to renew it. You won't get banned for that, but you lose your subscription. If your doing gifts to people for kindness such as helping trophies etc, You won't get banned for that.

Plenty of people have gotten bans-- both temporary and permanent-- for rejected auto-pays and for having their bank reverse charges, regardless of if the charges were fraudulent. Temporary bans usually get resolved once you pay them the amount they're owed. I've known people who this has happened to, and a quick Google search will tell you the same thing.

And I didn't say that people get banned for gifting cards. I said that's a reason why people opt to use them.

Regardless, cards aren't going anywhere. It seems that Amazon and Sony might be having problems. There have apparently been a lot of issues with preorders on Amazon as well over the past 3 months.

Edited by eigen-space
  • Like 1

Are they running out of digital codes!!?? noooooo!! Codes are what 12 digits, with number variations 1-0 and A-Z? How many possibilities are there? And obviously they cant use the same code...

2 hours ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Are they running out of digital codes!!?? noooooo!! Codes are what 12 digits, with number variations 1-0 and A-Z? How many possibilities are there? And obviously they cant use the same code...

Take it easy. Like I said to Masamune and others. Don't worry to much. You can still get PSN Cards. All same codes at random.

Back when I actually used my PlayStation I would always buy them.

I started using them when I started using PSN for PSP to buy games, because my father's credit card would incur a fee every time I bought something, that was almost 10 years ago now. The main reason I continued to often use them after becoming older than 13 and being financial, is that they have $5 cards, which is great when you might only need 2 bucks on top of your current wallet balance to buy something, and you don't want to put on the minimum $10 that Sony make you when using credit cards, which is fucking ridiculous to say the least. Also used them a lot as "rewards" from the surveys I would do online, could cash in my points for PSN codes.

Anyway, there's a tonne of reasons why people would use them, and really no reasons to be against it. Meanwhile paranoia, the big Sony hack, the regular little hacks, paranoia again, not wanting to use your card online, the minimum $10 deposit, and potential credit card charges are just some of the many reasons to NOT want to do it that way, not to mention all the kids / younger gamers who may not have access to credit cards or their own PayPal accounts. To have a MasterCard/Visa/Debit card in general here that can be used online, you need to be 18, so if they were to get rid of the prepaid cards, they would be fucking over a SERIOUSLY large portion of their audience.

However, they're not getting rid of them, they likely never would get rid of them, they'd be absolutely fucking stupid to get rid of them, and honestly, anyone who would think they're about to be getting rid of them would also have to be pretty fucking stupid.

Done.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Who uses stores prepaid cards here? Just wondering.

I do, I get them as gifts from my fiance.

I wish they'd discontinue the current 'model' [for lack of a better word] of how the card is done though because the iTunes cards are way better.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Back when I actually used my PlayStation I would always buy them.

I started using them when I started using PSN for PSP to buy games, because my father's credit card would incur a fee every time I bought something, that was almost 10 years ago now. The main reason I continued to often use them after becoming older than 13 and being financial, is that they have $5 cards, which is great when you might only need 2 bucks on top of your current wallet balance to buy something, and you don't want to put on the minimum $10 that Sony make you when using credit cards, which is fucking ridiculous to say the least. Also used them a lot as "rewards" from the surveys I would do online, could cash in my points for PSN codes.

Anyway, there's a tonne of reasons why people would use them, and really no reasons to be against it. Meanwhile paranoia, the big Sony hack, the regular little hacks, paranoia again, not wanting to use your card online, the minimum $10 deposit, and potential credit card charges are just some of the many reasons to NOT want to do it that way, not to mention all the kids / younger gamers who may not have access to credit cards or their own PayPal accounts. To have a MasterCard/Visa/Debit card in general here that can be used online, you need to be 18, so if they were to get rid of the prepaid cards, they would be fucking over a SERIOUSLY large portion of their audience.

However, they're not getting rid of them, they likely never would get rid of them, they'd be absolutely fucking stupid to get rid of them, and honestly, anyone who would think they're about to be getting rid of them would also have to be pretty fucking stupid.

Done.

I agree. Anyone would be foolish enough to throw those away.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

I do, I get them as gifts from my fiance.

I wish they'd discontinue the current 'model' [for lack of a better word] of how the card is done though because the iTunes cards are way better.

Just curious- how does iTunes do their cards?

Edited by Kittet3

2 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

Just curious- how does iTunes do their cards?

for a physical prepaid card, it's one of those scratch off codes you enter on that website to add funds to account. they come in various currency.

just like the psn 25$ and 50$ cards they have at the safeway.

Edited by kingdrake2

1 minute ago, kingdrake2 said:

for a physical prepaid card, it's one of those scratch off codes you enter on that website to add funds to account. they come in various currency.

I'm confused then- isn't that the same as PSN cards? 

6 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Who uses stores prepaid cards here? Just wondering.

There are tons of websites offering 50€ cards for about 43€ you can save big money.

They are legit btw, these sites purchase high volume of codes from Sony at the price for retailers, so they can sell them cheaper and still make a small profit on every card.

Also buy prepaid cards for the accounts I own from other regions, which I use for games unavailable in my region. Don't say this ain't legit because I recall one executive of PS saying he has himself an American account and Japanese one because of what I said.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

I'm confused then- isn't that the same as PSN cards? 

Not sure where he is, maybe it's different in different countries? But in Canada, the card is attached to the main thing with some sticky goo stuff after you peel it off from that then it looks like this which is just a peel off sticker to reveal the code. Scratch codes suck. [not my picture just got it off google]

iTunes-Gift-Card---50-8020915_1.jpg

• Like 2

This personally wouldn’t bother me, since I use my debit card for digital purchases anyway. However, with that been said, I highly doubt Sony would discontinue these PlayStation Store topup cards. They probably make a boat load of cash from them, and it would be a major inconvenience to those who prefer these topup cards over debit.

Discontinuing these topup cards would decrease financial gain and customer satisfaction, two things Sony would have to be really stupid to risk.

11 hours ago, charlijaen said:

There are tons of websites offering 50€ cards for about 43€ you can save big money.

That would be the best reason for sony to stop selling their "currency" via retail. That´s like you buy 25 dollars for 20 dollars.

Would be better for sony to only allow "direct" payment on their own PSN-shop.

1 hour ago, kidson2004 said:

Ok so I went to GameStop early today to buy a $20 PSN card and the employee told me that Sony is discontinuing the $10 and $20 PSN cards. Can only buy the $25, $50 and the $100 PSN cards now. 

I don’t understand why Sony would do such a thing, but thank you for clarifying this.

1 hour ago, kidson2004 said:

Ok so I went to GameStop early today to buy a $20 PSN card and the employee told me that Sony is discontinuing the $10 and $20 PSN cards. Can only buy the $25, $50 and the $100 PSN cards now. 

7 minutes ago, ddracarys said:

I don’t understand why Sony would do such a thing, but thank you for clarifying this.

I think that this is a regional thing as up here in Canada, I don't recall seeing $10 cards before (im sure it existed though) and also the $20 for us have been discontinued for over a year now which is replaced by $25, $50, $60( consists of three $20 codes), $75, and $100. 

So it is different for the NZ dollar, American dollar, AUS dollar, etc

Edited by PooPooBlast
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

I think that this is a regional thing as up here in Canada, I don't recall seeing $10 cards before (im sure it existed though) and also the $20 for us have been discontinued for over a year now which is replaced by $25, $50, $60( consists of three $20 codes), $75, and $100. 

So it is different for the NZ dollar, American dollar, AUS dollar, etc

Correct, I’ve never seen $10.00 or $25.00 cards too. We only have $20.00, $50.00, $75.00, and $100.00. I wonder how this will change for other regions, like mine, if it will change at all.

• Like 2