PlayStation Store Prepaid Cards in danger of being discontinued?

Alantor32

12 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

I think that this is a regional thing as up here in Canada, I don't recall seeing $10 cards before (im sure it existed though) and also the $20 for us have been discontinued for over a year now which is replaced by $25, $50, $60( consists of three $20 codes), $75, and $100. 

So it is different for the NZ dollar, American dollar, AUS dollar, etc

Same in my state $10 and $20 in anystore doesn't exist anymore.. All I see from Best buy, wall Mart, target or any store that carries gift card are $25, $50 and $100 same thing in Amazon.com or via online too..thats why I changed my reward from $20 to $25.. ?

Edited by Silently
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Babsimabuse said:

That would be the best reason for sony to stop selling their "currency" via retail. That´s like you buy 25 dollars for 20 dollars.

Would be better for sony to only allow "direct" payment on their own PSN-shop.

Not 25 for 20, it is exactly like getting 50 for 43

The 20€ card on most sites cost 18€

9 minutes ago, ddracarys said:

Correct, I’ve never seen $10.00 or $25.00 cards too. We only have $20.00, $50.00, $75.00, and $100.00. I wonder how this will change for other regions, like mine, if it will change at all.

Where do you buy your cards from? I buy mine physical and I’ve only ever seen $30 and $50 cards in stores.

We also have new physical cards that are pretty useless. The old cards had you scratch off the backing to get the code but the new ones you have to peel a sticker off to get the code. The problem is that the sticker never comes off in one go and worse still the sticker always peels off part of the ink of the code. Clearly no one did any sort of quality control for these new cards.

• Like 3

They will never get rid of a way for them to make money. That makes zero sense. Especially since they make so much more money from digital sales. They may discontinue the actual cards, and instead you'll just get a code, but they aren't going to be getting rid of prepaid.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

Where do you buy your cards from? I buy mine physical and I’ve only ever seen $30 and $50 cards in stores.

We also have new physical cards that are pretty useless. The old cards had you scratch off the backing to get the code but the new ones you have to peel a sticker off to get the code. The problem is that the sticker never comes off in one go and worse still the sticker always peels off part of the ink of the code. Clearly no one did any sort of quality control for these new cards.

I’m in New Zealand, and these PlayStation Store topup cards can be found pretty much everywhere; gas stations, supermarkets, daries, etc. We also still have the scratch cards, but I guess that might change soon if Sony are planning on updating every region’s cards. :P

1 hour ago, kidson2004 said:

Ok so I went to GameStop early today to buy a $20 PSN card and the employee told me that Sony is discontinuing the $10 and $20 PSN cards. Can only buy the $25, $50 and the $100 PSN cards now. 

Same thing with me. Went to MediaMarkt (closest store to my house with cards for PSN, eShop, Netflix, etc.) to get a 10€ card but they didn't have one so I got two 5€ cards. When I went to pay the cashier told me that Sony had stopped supplying the 10€ PSN cards.

12 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Not sure where he is, maybe it's different in different countries? But in Canada, the card is attached to the main thing with some sticky goo stuff after you peel it off from that then it looks like this which is just a peel off sticker to reveal the code. Scratch codes suck.

Here the iTunes cards also look like that but it's probably different in different countries when it comes to PSN cards (or other cards depending on the company) since here the physical PSN cards stopped having scratch codes for a while (although they appear from time to time). The method the cards I find on the stores closest to me is that the code is printed in the receipt we get.

34 minutes ago, ddracarys said:

Correct, I’ve never seen $10.00 or $25.00 cards too. We only have $20.00, $50.00, $75.00, and $100.00. I wonder how this will change for other regions, like mine, if it will change at all.

Incase your curious ddracarys. www.Pcgamesupply.com has $10 USA PSN Card.

40 minutes ago, Silently said:

Same in my state $10 and $20 in anystore doesn't exist anymore.. All I see from Best buy, wall Mart, target or any store that carries gift card are $25, $50 and $100 same thing in Amazon.com or via online too..thats why I changed my reward from $20 to $25.. ?

PCGameSupply (and other websites) still have the $10 and $20 cards in stock. I bought a $10 one last week and it worked as usual. I think it's only Amazon that's out of stock.

Edited by cr1s

14 minutes ago, Nexuds121 said:

Incase your curious ddracarys. www.Pcgamesupply.com has $10 USA PSN Card.

He's from NZ which is why they don't have it and neither do we in Canada. The dollar has different values in different countries

Edited by PooPooBlast

13 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

He's from NZ which is why they don't have it and neither do we in Canada. The dollar has different values in different countries

Yeah i'm from NZ. NZ only has $30 and $50 PSN Cards top-ups.

Edited by Nexuds121

20 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Who uses stores prepaid cards here? Just wondering.

I use them, I just don't feel safe having my credit card stored especially with all the hacking that goes on. Back in the big PSN hack years ago one of my friends had her card details stolen, and psn accounts seem to get hacked frequently.

Another reason is my account is Japanese, but I moved to the UK last year and lived in Ireland before that. So it's convenient in that you don't have to worry about having a credit card from that country as all my stuff is UK and prepaid cards are the only way I can buy things on the PSN store since it doesn't seem to accept other regions paypal or credit cards.

Here in the UK there are a lot of credit card scams anyway and I know a few of my colleagues that had it really bad that their identity was stolen and had to get new bank accounts, cards....the whole lot. Sony is not safe in my eyes to have my card details and hearing stories from my colleagues has made me one of those people who cross cut shreds anything with my name on it. 

From the sound of it, it depends where you are if anything changed or not. 

I haven't looked up physical, but walmart online and paypal both offer $20 psn digital codes. And I barely searched, so the U.S seems fine digitally 

20 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Who uses stores prepaid cards here? Just wondering.

Based on this thread, it would seem like an awful lot of people use the cards.

Personally, I haven't purchased anything off PSN using a credit card in about 4 years now. With how insecure PSN is, I don't know why you would want to store CC details there, and certainly I wouldn't want to re-enter that every time I buy something. As it is now, if my account gets hacked, worse case scenario I might lose the $50 or so that I keep in the wallet at any given time.

I could adapt back to using CC if these did get phased out, but it would shut down all out of region accounts as you can't use foreign CC's.

Also, I currently get my prepaid cards through Costco, which saves me a couple of bucks (in addition to the rewards on my CC for buying them in the first place), and sometimes you can save more. I just got $100 prepaid for $80 through the buy using Master Pass promo.

Why would anyone use their CC instead?

26 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I've always used prepaid debit cards lol... my info was in the account when the whole 2011 thing happened, but nothing was stolen. I've always had it in the account. Now i just removed them because i stopped buying PSN stuff before Christmas. Maybe i'll put them again when i'll renew Plus, then remove them again.

Like i said i had issues with my info not working but switching to PayPal solved the issue. I tried linking my PP account directly to my bank account but it just wasn't worth it. Even if they stole my account they cannot do anything as it requires a physical PIN generator to transfer money, and i always keep it empty when i don't buy anything.

Edited by Lance_87

28 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Paying exact amount for me, at least anything over the $5 minimum. Always hated having those pennies left over from the cards, that would just add up and I’d blow on a dumb avatar after a few months. Easier to budget with direct payment, but I understand why people prefer the cards. I love getting them as gifts lol.

34 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Based on this thread, it would seem like an awful lot of people use the cards.

Personally, I haven't purchased anything off PSN using a credit card in about 4 years now. With how insecure PSN is, I don't know why you would want to store CC details there, and certainly I wouldn't want to re-enter that every time I buy something. As it is now, if my account gets hacked, worse case scenario I might lose the $50 or so that I keep in the wallet at any given time.

I could adapt back to using CC if these did get phased out, but it would shut down all out of region accounts as you can't use foreign CC's.

Also, I currently get my prepaid cards through Costco, which saves me a couple of bucks (in addition to the rewards on my CC for buying them in the first place), and sometimes you can save more. I just got $100 prepaid for $80 through the buy using Master Pass promo.

Because, against popular fear-mongering belief, credit cards are the most secure method of paying. Even on the PSN. Paying the waiter or waitress at Outback Steakhouse with a card is technically MUCH more dangerous than the PlayStation Store. They also (potentially) come with an entourage of rewards.

As much as I'm not a fan of Capital One, the Playstation Visa (especially the Signature version) is great for PSN purchases. You get 10 points for every $1 you spend in the PSN store, which adds up pretty fast. Especially if you buy everything digital. One could even use the card to also pay for cellular bills to gain even more bonus points, but that's just extra. As long as your credit limit exceeds $5,000, you'll get the Signature version, which is a prime card. 

If you use a good credit card (American Express, Discover, any Chase Visa, etc) then you're more secure than anything else. Any fraudulent activity is picked up instantly, money is never stolen, you're never responsible for fraudulent charges, excellent benefits, excellent reward structures, great for building credit, etc. Even in the rare event that someone hacks the PSN and steals your credit card information, the issuer simply cancels the card and issues you a new one while simultaneously not making you pay for anything you weren't responsible for.

Unless you're bad with money, there is no good reason not to use credit cards for just about everything.

30 minutes ago, Paige-ID said:

Because, against popular fear-mongering belief, credit cards are the most secure method of paying. Even on the PSN. Paying the waiter or waitress at Outback Steakhouse with a card is technically MUCH more dangerous than the PlayStation Store. They also (potentially) come with an entourage of rewards.

As much as I'm not a fan of Capital One, the Playstation Visa (especially the Signature version) is great for PSN purchases. You get 10 points for every $1 you spend in the PSN store, which adds up pretty fast. Especially if you buy everything digital. One could even use the card to also pay for cellular bills to gain even more bonus points, but that's just extra. As long as your credit limit exceeds $5,000, you'll get the Signature version, which is a prime card. 

If you use a good credit card (American Express, Discover, any Chase Visa, etc) then you're more secure than anything else. Any fraudulent activity is picked up instantly, money is never stolen, you're never responsible for fraudulent charges, excellent benefits, excellent reward structures, great for building credit, etc. Even in the rare event that someone hacks the PSN and steals your credit card information, the issuer simply cancels the card and issues you a new one while simultaneously not making you pay for anything you weren't responsible for.

Unless you're bad with money, there is no good reason not to use credit cards for just about everything.

I don't think you understood my point. I'm not against using a CC. I use them all the time, everywhere. I'm not a fan of storing my info on the Playstation for purchases. In Canada we don't have the PS Visa so that isn't an option, and the CC I use has much better reward options anyway (2-3% back vs effectively 1% for the PS Visa).

My point was that I can use my CC to buy the pre-paid cards. I can get the pre-paid cards for less than face value - I just got $100 prepaid PSN card at Costco for $76.99. That's almost $25 in free money. And I still got my CC rewards points when I bought it.

1 minute ago, diskdocx said:

I don't think you understood my point. I'm not against using a CC. I use them all the time, everywhere. I'm not a fan of storing my info on the Playstation for purchases. In Canada we don't have the PS Visa so that isn't an option, and the CC I use has much better reward options anyway (2-3% back vs effectively 1% for the PS Visa).

My point was that I can use my CC to buy the pre-paid cards. I can get the pre-paid cards for less than face value - I just got $100 prepaid PSN card at Costco for $76.99. That's almost $25 in free money. And I still got my CC rewards points when I bought it.

You said "why would anyone use their CC instead?", to which I replied why I think you should use a credit card. You're stating an anecdotal occurrence where you can get a good deal on PSN cards—that's not really a counter-argument against the general use of a credit card in the PlayStation Store. It seems like a lot of people believe their finances are at risk using the PlayStation Store, and that's simply not true.

It's a shame that you're not eligible for the PS Visa card, which is a much better deal than 2-3%. It's effectively a 10% rewards card as long as you use it in the PSN, not a 1%.

4 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I use them, I just don't feel safe having my credit card stored especially with all the hacking that goes on. Back in the big PSN hack years ago one of my friends had her card details stolen, and psn accounts seem to get hacked frequently.

"hacked" a lot of the time = "I signed up for some small forum and I use the same details on that as I do everywhere else and that small site got hacked and someone used the same info on PSN and stole my account... PSN WAS HACKED GAIZ"

It doesn't get legitimately hacked that often. Gets DDoS more than hacked, and that too gets called "hacking". Even though it's not.

Edited by Elvick_

Amazon is the only one having problems with deviations smaller than $50, at least in the US. Hell, most PS4 exclusives aren't even available to preorder on Amazon. 

I have no problem finding prepaid PSN cards in any retailer that sells gift cards. The one thing I noticed was the $20 cards were replaced with $25 deviations since most states charge a tax on digital goods now.

Edited by Death_Ninja
  • Like 2