My Opinion on The Game

Tusked-Lattice

8 minutes ago, rolltideroll157 said:

And just because you say otherwise doesn't make it so 1f60a.png This game is a solid 7 or 8/10 for what it is. Try getting good at the game and you'll enjoy it more 1f609.png

Me getting good at the game (or more likely, over powered as to negate the poor combat) won't change the bland graphics, too many useless NPCs, mediocre story, slow travel, or any other legitimate complaints against the game. 

It's a medium game. 6 or 7 of ten. Should have been $40 instead of $60, too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yowzagabowza said:

Me getting good at the game (or more likely, over powered as to negate the poor combat) won't change the bland graphics, too many useless NPCs, mediocre story, slow travel, or any other legitimate complaints against the game. 

It's a medium game. 6 or 7 of ten. Should have been $40 instead of $60, too.

You do relize this isn't a AAA game right? lol it's characters models were outdated yes but it's environments, lighting and effects looked pretty good. Literally none of the Npcs in this game are useless. They all serve a purpose in one way or another. The story certainly wasn't mediocre it was very interesting and kept me wanting more. Slow travel is the only legitimate complaint you have. Quit being so dramatic and get over the the fact you clearly are just bitching to bitch.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2018 at 4:09 AM, BlackTorito said:

And you dont get them how they should make their game. 

Fact is, you are bitching because you are bad at the game (you are bitching about a difficulty spike which is actually what the game is about if you dont feed on people).

Yes this game is a lot about talking, whats wrong with that? That doesnt make it a bad game, if you want action maybe you should try call of duty you know. Besides, the side stories are actually good.

Fast travel is tedious, I somewhat agree, though maybe its part of the design to add some more difficulty/inmersion.

I swear, when people like something, they become mindless idiots. 

I am not telling Dontnod how to make their game. I'm saying what I dont like about it. 

And bravo pulling out the ol' "go play COD" card. 

I didn't expect an expose on the Spanish flu when I bought this game, and I didn't expect the combat to be so clunky, either. Good news is, I'm now so overpowered that there is no need for strategy or anything else, I just tank every enemy and get to the next wall of dialogue. 

Edited by Stevieboy

On 27/06/2018 at 5:58 PM, rolltideroll157 said:

I love how just because I'm calling you out on your criticisms as bullshit I'm automatically fanboying lmao i will defend anything when I see someone bashing something for their own faults or don't know what they are talking about. The story, combat and atmosphere in this game is fantastic and if you hate them as you claim then obviously this game isn't for you. That doesn't mean it's trash.

You're extremely rude, condescending and using the faulty premise that someone can only dislike a game if they're bad at it, if anything this game is laughably easy even if you don't feed on anyone. 

It's also ridiculous to make bold statements that the game is objectively an 8/10 or whatever score you make up just because you say so.

On 03/07/2018 at 4:09 AM, BlackTorito said:

And you dont get them how they should make their game. 

Fact is, you are bitching because you are bad at the game (you are bitching about a difficulty spike which is actually what the game is about if you dont feed on people).

Yes this game is a lot about talking, whats wrong with that? That doesnt make it a bad game, if you want action maybe you should try call of duty you know. 

Same shit here. 

2 minutes ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

You're extremely rude, condescending and using the faulty premise that someone can only dislike a game if they're bad at it, if anything this game is laughably easy even if you don't feed on anyone. 

It's also ridiculous to make bold statements that the game is objectively an 8/10 or whatever score you make up just because you say so.

Same shit here. 

No what's ridiculous is the fact that you literally do nothing but shit on games on this site. It's even more ridiculous that they are actually good games at that. And no I don't assume someone is bad at it if they dislike it but I do think that when you criticize a part of the game as bad when it clearly isn't if you know how the combat works. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rolltideroll157 said:

No what's ridiculous is the fact that you literally do nothing but shit on games on this site. It's even more ridiculous that they are actually good games at that. And no I don't assume someone is bad at it if they dislike it but I do think that when you criticize a part of the game as bad when it clearly isn't if you know how the combat works. 

There's nothing complex about stunning enemies over and over and then biting them to do a couple shitty special moves. 

(Most effective way to play the game btw.)

38 minutes ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

There's nothing complex about stunning enemies over and over and then biting them to do a couple shitty special moves. 

(Most effective way to play the game btw.)

Who said it was complex? It has almost the same combat as bloodborne and that's a very good thing. It's built around dodging and stunning your enemies. Just because you don't like that style of combat doesn't mean it sucks. Obviously you have some type of issue with every game that comes out so quit bitching and try to enjoy games instead. You would think since no one ever agrees with you on your threads that you would stop making these dumb posts but yet here we are...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

Same shit here. 

Almost as bold as shitting on games and saying they are “Very dissappointing” just because you “say so”. Difference is I put my small analysis which included some criticism feedback, which I don’t see in yours, just a biased hateful one, you are in no position to call anybody bold.

Metascore is 72 overall across users and press, my personal perception is 8/10 so being not so distant from the median makes me far more accurate and capable than you.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SoberNSane said:

You lost that round. 1f62c.png At 65% of the trophies, you’re not in a position to say what is the most effective way to play the game. You haven’t played it the other way.

Of whoops sorry didn't know you couldn't comment of any game unless you 100% an arbitrary trophy list silly me! 

9 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Who said it was complex? It has almost the same combat as bloodborne and that's a very good thing. It's built around dodging and stunning your enemies. Just because you don't like that style of combat doesn't mean it sucks. Obviously you have some type of issue with every game that comes out so quit bitching and try to enjoy games instead. You would think since no one ever agrees with you on your threads that you would stop making these dumb posts but yet here we are...

Tomb Raider is shit and that crappy mana remake was worthless cash grab get over it. 

12 hours ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

Same shit here. 

Talks about rude, wishes that i got banned. ?

6 hours ago, SoberNSane said:

But I see you did it all - was it worth it? I went back to get more collectibles (currently only about 24 collectibles remaining) and got lost some more......ugh. I do like the game though other than this aspect. My sense of direction is notoriously bad in real life too... Where's that arrow over somebody's head?!

Well... Yeah. Thankfully the map isn't that large, so it's probably more of an annoyance than anything else.

• 6 months later...

Here is my problems with the game.

1: First day of playing the game I got to the hospital on chapter 1. There you meet a lady who gives you your first sort of side quest and its to check out who has been spying on her. Now because neither the quest nor side quests indicate which level you should attempt these at, you go in very blind. Anyway I started it and noticed it was very tough for a first side quest. I was about level 4 and the standard enemies were level 10-13.  I eventually reached a new safe house and thats when it got really bad. If I dropped down there were 3 guys who would 3 hit kill me and to drop to the other side had 2 guys with a third guy meeting them. 

I tried and tried and then realised I had no choice but to start over. Was very pissed off.

But I restarted and did really start getting into it. Its a very on rails kind of game but........

Guess what. Discovered that because I missed asking someone a question on chapter 3, then when it came to making a vital choice at the end of a section with Sean, I didn't have the option to turn him meaning he kills everyone the next day, meaning you lose characters and quests. Or you can kill him and void the 15 hours you just spent working towards the no kills trophy. Even the guide I was working off for the trophy never mentioned that. 

So another playthrough wasted.

2: The awful single save idea. Now the devs say they put this in because of the consequences and the character living with his actions. Well thats fine and all but its a video game still and people make mistakes when trying to discover things in a game, thats what a save and reload system was created for. The days of f**king up your save files because you never played the game the way the devs said the gamer should play the game ended in the f**ing 90's.

3: The editing is horrible. Now I played games since the 80's, so long loading periods don't hurt me, I simply make a fresh brew and come back when its done loading. But the way its done during some cutscenes is beyond amateur dev skills.  The boat scene from river to hospital actually made me vomit from the ears and eyes the editing on that section was so bad. 

4: Visuals. I know Dontnod are't among the greats when it comes to game design. but for a current gen game this is pretty f**king bland. Heard its nice on PC 4K, but on PS4 Pro it looks like s**t for the most parts. Your character looking blander than most. 

5: Upgrading in your sleep. What a stupid f**king idea that was. I liked that when you sleep it effects those around you, a sort of way to say whilst you may be immortal not everyone else is and even when you live forever you can still lose time with people. That was pretty awesome. But to tie it in with the upgrade scene was fucking dumb. So basically this comes down to the poor save system again, because if you don't skill up enough then you could be trapped in a battle where you have no chance of winning and no chance to get away. 

The devs tried to sell this and a story which isn't all black and white and that the grey has the most dangerous effect. Sorry but this game is so black & white that I'm surprised it doesn't click its heels and stare at you as you switch it on to play. The only grey part is the bullshit save system which destroys entire playthroughs. Basically you play it the devs way or you don't get fuck all from it. 

The combat is no where near as awful as I was expecting it to be though. Its just a very basic hack & slash affair similar to Witcher 3 but without 90% fighting skills and stuff to enjoy.

If I ever go for that 'not even once' trophy or even play the game ever again, I think I will try to get hold of a usb keyboard and abuse the f**k out of the updage xp thing just to speed that up and burn through the dialog scenes until I can get back to that Sean scene.

All in all its one of those games where it had tonnes of potential but sadly it was thought up by the wrong team. And thats what I fucking hate the most, because its dickheads like Dontnod which make a massive fuck-up first time around and so scare the fuck out of publishers, devs and customers to want to take a chance with this type of thing ever again. 

Wasted 3 days off my week off work with this badly developed shit. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

• 5 months later...

This game is both good and bad at the same moment, in my opinion.

Pros:

- good dark atmosphere;

- interesting characters and dialogues (main protagonist Jonathan Reid is a cool cat);

- really hard combat on the hardest difficulty (boss fights are really tough, and that's what I enjoy a lot in gaming);

- great voice acting.

Cons:

- frequent crashes;

- long and annoying loading screens;

- a single save that you can't control (it can really mess up your trophy hunting like it did for me);

I also liked the trophy list in this one. Nice references and easter eggs. Combat can be very repetitive but unique abilities make it fun. The ending of the main story was weak for me. It's not that kind of game I would return to.

• 1 month later...

Just finished the "no-kill" run and wanted to chime in a bit on this game.

Pro:

1. Overall good plot, twist and turns are well set up.

2. I like the music (probably not very innovative, but I like its overall style).

3. The image quality are not top notch for sure but it didn't bother me. Somehow I like their rendering of Lady ashbury.

Con:

1. The ending feels somewhat forced and weakened the plot set up a bit.

2. I think the devs wanted to incorporate some "soulborne" element to the game but I felt they were not on point. There's no adequate reward for all those monster respawn punishment incurred. In the end, I spent most of the time fighting the same trash monsters 5 or 6 times over. Not very fun.

3. Boss fight are OK but a bit repetitive.

4. Too much political agenda are stuffed into the game.

Overall that's a 6 to me. I should commend the dev ambition to try new stuff but I felt they are not there yet.

Edited by Maverick6146

On 20-6-2018 at 7:33 AM, BlackTorito said:

This is a very biased opinion, the game is actually good and its 80 overall is good deserved.

Combat is not terrible, is acceptable I dont get why so many complains, it doesnt feel clunky or anything, its somewhat similar to a witcher style.

History is good, the romance came out of nowhere? Perhaps. But History is good, lore is good and each character secondary history is actually interesting BUT yes, its a bit sad it ends like that, because all of them ends with no resolve at all, probably adding a final to each secondary history would have bumped this game.

The atmosphere of this game is actually amazing and well achieved.

The game has its flaws here and there but its a solid one, maybe worth of buying a little cheaper, but definitely a enjoyable game.

I agree with you.

I am playing at this moment in an dont suck em dry attempt. Meaning you are underpowered in every boss battle. Still I can beat most enemies with avoiding and timing attacks.

Sometimes it seems the response is a little slow but this can also be the controller.

@Tusked-Lattice What do you expect from a game where there is a plague? A thriving city or more like it is now. The locations state fits with its story.

Hey guys, i will tell you my opinion about Vampyr. I love RPG related games as i can't seem to stop playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey (almost finished 100% after 150 hours ?)

Firstly, i think you guys should not argue about personal opinions, because that's all they are > opinions. If you judge someone's opinion based on what you think about the subject or the person itself that does not make your opinion more valid than the other you are judging. Let's keep peace on the Forum ?

I Pre-Ordered Vampyr and pressed the :cross: button on my PS4 Menu as soon as the clock hit midnight on the release date to try out the game. 

In the first hour, Vampyr seemed very cool for me as the story kicks in greatly with mystery and sacrifice. After the first hour i started to realize what would soon become my biggest issue with this game > The Loading Times and Game Breaks. Yes, i know many people did not have this problem but i am one of those many that did. The loading times are ridiculous and the game rendering itself is very limited and broke. When you try to dash many times to get to a point faster (because the character kind of has a slow movement) the game's rendering breaks and tells you to wait for a new loading of the city. I made an Youtube video once about this and i "managed" to break the game 10 times in 5 minutes by dashing only, this also happened in Combat and totally ruined my Gaming Experience. 

The biggest point about this game is of course the vast options when it comes to "Skills" as you can make different sets based on what you want to become (Peaceful or Destructive), of course the way you choose the skills are also related to the amount of Blood you consume. That brings us to the most advantageous promise of this game > The NPC. 

I loved the idea and i trusted Dontnod because i had a very good experience with "Life is Strange". In the end i will have to agree with "Tusked-Lattice" when he says "Intriguing premise but poor execution". The dialogues and movements of certain characters and enemies were not ok and the hitbox is broke as well, i experienced enemies hitting the wall 5 meters from me and having them still being able to damage me somehow. Although i disagree about what he said on "decisions", because the NPCs you choose to kill will mostly affect other people as well (because they are related) and the city, my opinion is that the game was poorly executed in the end. I dare to say that between many games i bought in 2018 "Vampyr" was certainly the most disappointing one. I am a Trophy hunter by the way and i only need to install the game and load my save file to win the gold trophy to finish the last dialogue and i still chose to not do it of how bored and frustrated i was. I have Quit the game in the last dialogue, first time ever i have done that after getting all weapons etc...

I would also recommend waiting for a big sale before buying this. Don't take me wrong, i still had good moments with this game but my overall opinion about it is pretty negative. It gets pretty much repetitive as well and the romance is badly build as previously mentioned in another comment. The boss battles are ok but that does not make it a good game.

Do not get mad about my opinion, please. This was my experience with Vampyr and it should not change the way you feel about it or previous experiences within the game. 

Have a good gaming day! :yay:

• 3 weeks later...

As a recent player and just about to reach chapter 6. I can say the game itself has a decent feel to it, with a few blemishes, such as the lock on is kinda weird sometimes. There have been instances where I didn't even hit R3 to lock on and the game did it anyway, automatically, which is annoying.

Combat in a small space combined with the finicky lock on can prove a painful frustration (for me anyway) but the biggest gripe overall has to be the load times. Especially along side a boss fight and that's what irritates me the most, honestly. The second major issue would have to be that you will fight the exact same enemies EVEN AFTER you've dispatched them earlier, which gets fairly frustrating after a while.

Third annoyance for me is all the ( I assume) unnecessary dialogue. What I mean by this is, why do you as a character have to ask the same questions to everyone you meet? There are differences obviously but for those who've played it, you know what I'm getting at. If there is branching dialogue options through hints, do they serve a more important purpose than just adding more questions to the mix? I realize you get certain investigations through the dialogue with certain characters but a lot of the time it gets overwhelming with all the "hint required" options.

All being said and as I plan on doing three runs for the plat, I'm sure I will understand the more I play through the game. I just wanted to express my thoughts and maybe get some insight certain matters. Thanks for reading.

Edited by War_Hearted
update

• 1 month later...

Okay, I really need to say some things about this game and I really can feel why there is hate for it. I finally got to play it this month and let me tell you I wasn't expecting an AAA experience. Hell I even knew that there were glitches and bugs here and there. I knew that there were technical problems too and I really didn't care that much because I know there wasn't enough budget. But guys let's be real. The game never saw the testing part. Let's start from the worst thing. It runs on new gen when it can easily run like this as last gen. Why are there so many loading screens? WHy do they even take almost a minute to load? HOW? The combat feels like a witcher/souls type and i like it. I like the combat for what it is and i understand the development team is small and they wanted it to be at least good. But, the mobs are way to extreme on their attacks. If you are caught in a combo from let's say that guys who shotguns you he hits 4 four times ending the combo with a shot. Your health is almost over. If there are more enemies and you try to escape with dodge, you stuck in the enemies and they hit. The damage you take as an undead is insane. The bosses are good but their execution and how they fight you is a joke. I like the game. I like the setting and the story kinda but after 1 year it's unbelievable for a AA game that sold 1m to still have these issues. Okay, I really need to say some things about this game and I really can feel why there is hate for this game. I finally got to play the game this month and let me tell you I wasn't expecting an AAA experience. Hell I even knew that there were glitches and bugs here and there. I knew that there were technical problems too and I really didn't care that much because I know there wasn't enough budget. But guys let's be real. The game never saw the testing part. Let's start from the worst thing. It runs on new gen when it can easily run like this as last gen. Why are there so many loading screens? WHy do they even take almost a minute to load? HOW? The combat feels like a witcher/souls type and i like it. I like the combat for what it is and i understand the development team is small and they wanted it to be at least good. But, the mobs are way to extreme on their attacks. If you are caught in a combo from let's say that guys who shotguns you he hits 4 four times ending the combo with a shot. Your health is almost over. If there are more enemies and you try to escape with dodge, you stuck in the enemies and they hit. The damage you take as an undead is insane. The bosses are good but their execution and how they fight you is a joke. I like the game. I like the setting and the story kinda but after 1 year it's unbelievable for a AA game that sold 1m to still have these issues. 

Edited by instastoump
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This game was meh at best. I had to force myself to finish it. The loading times were horrendous. Combat was clunky, but passable. Story was mildly interesting I guess, but I got really bored after the first two chapters. I really didn't want to do the second playthrough to get the "not even once" trophy, but with the infinite xp glitch I breezed through it in about 3 hours. Thank god I bought the disc version cause I doubt I would have went for the platinum if I had to play through it the legit way one more time.

5/10

• 3 months later...

It's a decent game that I'm currently enjoying. It's not an AAA title that some people are expecting but it's far from a bad game.

I can understand the complaints but I think everything, ranging from characters, combat, and lore is pretty serviceable.

Nothing amazing nor bad besides the horrendously long load time.

The game ain't even hard, I'm playing the PSNow version and therefore can't use the XP exploit, I've beaten the first 2 major bosses on the 1st try with an under-leveled character.

Edited by In2umniaKillH3r
Edited typos.