Tips for Alien Rulers

shadow_hunter_x2

So first of all i love the game,despite realy not beeing that good.I did a first run to get to know all the mechanincs and all,including the Alien Hunter dlc Ruler mechanincs.

First run was good, no deaths or anything so i started my Commander ironman run...and things got, let s say, challenging :)

I forgot to check the boxes at the start of the new game what results in Alien ruler spawning randomly insted of beeing tied to the mission.

And this gave the game a whole new pace,my god..2nd mission and i see a god damn Viper King squashing my squad to death..

Anyway,i lived. And reached the Archon King , but this guy is giving my a realy hard time,so does anyone has a good tip for me against him ?

I have the highest weaponery researched but mid tier Soldiers at best. ( my top Men where knocked out by the Berserker Queen and taken prisoners)

Note that i plated the game last year so some stuff might have been patched since.

well as far as i remember your best bet against the rulers is to deal enough damage to make them flee because they don't heal completely so at some point you can manage to kill any ruler with a big enough dent in their hp. usually they'll try to escape after losing about half hp. now since they get to act every time you get a shot at them, reaction shots becoming your best tool to deal with them. So make sure to use a sniper with squad sight and if possible kill zone. if possible trigger an ambush on your turn with a grenadier that can shread the rulers defense or induce the holotargeting.  

remember that if your research is far enough you can see a list units to be encountered on the mission screen, so come prepared. Fire and poison inducing weapons will wreck a rulers hp due to multiple activations, so dragon or venom rounds can become very effective as well as special grenades.

Repeaters can instakill rulers too. so get as many of those bad boys as you can. 

make sure you don't double move if you don't intend to fire. double move triggers a ruler action.

Scout the hell out of them. having a concealed ranger to prepare an ambush with the rest of the squad should be a basic concept by now (hell i tend to never reveal my rangers unless its an absolute necessity.) 

kill zone users should try to carry auto reloaders or magazine extender. 

if caught flat footed (which is worst case scenario), try to drop the rulers hp as fast as possible. so only attack don't move. free actions like a grappling hook can be used to reposition in a bad situation but moving would trigger reactions. 

• Like 1

When i first saw the healthbar of the Berserker Queen i was like "how the f*** am i suposed to kill that?! " i mean 81 HP ?? Jesus

But as stated i survived about 5 encounters but i payed a high price..i m gonna try the special ammo thing asap because that Archon King needs to die.

He has an attack were he pulls one of my soldiers in the air, does the elemental dammage interupt this? that would be realy nice :)

On 6/19/2018 at 9:37 AM, shadow_hunter_x2 said:

When i first saw the healthbar of the Berserker Queen i was like "how the f*** am i suposed to kill that?! " i mean 81 HP ?? Jesus

But as stated i survived about 5 encounters but i payed a high price..i m gonna try the special ammo thing asap because that Archon King needs to die.

He has an attack were he pulls one of my soldiers in the air, does the elemental dammage interupt this? that would be realy nice :)

like i said invisible rangers and scouting is the key to dealing with this game in general. i always have two rangers in my squad and i usually manage 95% of my missions with one rangers the stays invisible the time. 

i always have a sniper with a light armor to the as the hook feature which lets me reposition with the scouted terrain and enemies without loosing my rifle shot. my sniper usually uses the following equipment. scope the higher the better, auto reloads or expanded magazines, the penetrating rounds that lets me ignore armor when i get them, if i get the continental bonus where you get a third slot i add the repeater.

Note : if manage to get a psy ops with stasis works wonders against rulers.

Edited by Maitre

Truth be told, the easiest to deal with the rulers is to activate the hunters dlc and just stay clear of the rulers questline.

On 23/06/2018 at 5:40 AM, shadow_hunter_x2 said:

I lost in the meantime :D but i re started right away and it s going way better this time.