DivineKataroshie

Couple questions for newcomer :)

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone !
I'm very determined to get into Bloodborne, but after first couple hours I have some questions.

* How do I find locations/goals/next quest and progress in general ?
for now, the game feels like open world RPG, where I walk like aimless bullet killing enemies without any reason. This, combined with harsh punishment after death, lack of checkpoints, and enemies constantly respawning on whole map feels overwhelming.

* what's the most optimal build for someone new ? and strategy to lure enemies ?

* and maybe thrown in most important advice you would personally give to someone new ? :)

Don't give up. The game is like old RPGs where the player is trying to define his own story and going on his own path. You can go about the games story and progress in different ways. I recommend just exploring and getting used to the maps/weapons. The trophies are, however, a pretty good way of trying to get through the game. If you are having trouble getting a trophy or even finding different locations in the world, there are tons of videos on the internet to help you.

The game is all about the player dieing a bunch. It is trying to tell you to learn from mistakes and develop new strategies. About luring enemies...I run past a lot of them, lol. It is pretty easy to dodge their attacks. You just need to find the bosses, then figure out YOUR best plan for defeating them. Mine boss strategy was always the same as it has for all the RPGs. Stay back and wait for the boss to attack, and hit it before it recovers from its own swipe. Then just remember its attack patterns and you're good.

It's a learning curve when it comes to fighting enemies. Dodging and sidestepping are very important in this game.

Coming from a person who never played any Demon Souls/Dark Souls games. My build was strength and vitality. I upgraded both my vitality and endurance more so than anything else. Followed by strength and skill. Meanwhile bloodtinge and arcane were not so important to me.

I would also recommend grinding certain areas for blood echoes. I did that until it was no longer giving me enough blood echoes to upgrade. Some people would argue being too strong ruins the "fun" of the game, but there is no fun in getting aggravated. lol

Depending on which area you are in. Luring enemies into a bottleneck area does help, so you aren't surrounded. What you can do to lure a few enemies is to lock on to one and fire your gun, but keep in mind sometimes that can backfire and all enemies will come towards you. Also, don't rush into an area, slow and steady wins the race, until you remember the layout of an area and where enemies are.

Like Schicic said, don't give up. It will be a struggle at times but once you've learned enemy patterns, they will become very easy to dispatch. Though, I personally slaughtered every enemy I saw, so if I was running back, I wouldn't get ambushed or surrounded. To each his own style though. :)

Good luck!

Edited by XSVForce19

Explore everywhere. Other than reading a guide there is no real way to know where to go next. The good thing is that there really isn't a Wrong way to go, unlike Dark Souls where you can easily wind up in an OP area early. 

Try out every new weapon you find. Warp back to the early areas and spend a few minutes killing easy enemies to try out the moves and find something you like. 

There is no shame in running away. If you get overwhelmed, head for the hills. Regroup, plan, and return. Doesn't really work on bosses but some normal areas. You can pull enemies with your gun, or by throwing pebbles or throwing knives at them. 

How do I find locations/goals/next quest and progress in general? You don't ever really have quests. You are just making your way through and trying to stay alive. No direction is given. But you'll eventually reach one of two bosses. When you beat them, a new lantern appears. When you light those, you can travel back and forth between there and the Hunter's Dream anytime you want. There aren't really checkpoints, but you will eventually start finding shortcuts and elevators that take you back to previous lanterns and now you can skip over portions of an area. When you defeat father Gascoigne, you'll unlock a new area. Then you explore that until you find a boss and kind of rinse, lather, repeat. 

what's the most optimal build for someone new ? I'd invest in vitality initially so you can afford to be hit without dying. Afterwards try to focus on specific attribute like strength or skill based on the weapon(s) you like. 

and strategy to lure enemies? Throw a pebble at them if you want to lure one away from a group without alerting the others in the group. Most of the game is about timing. Bait enemies them into attacking first and punish them for missing during their recovery. If your brave shoot them as they are swinging and you will "parry" them. They will drop to their knees and you can land a visceral attack that does heavy damage. 

and maybe thrown in most important advice you would personally give to someone new? Be aggressive. You can regain some health you lost if you attack back as soon as you're struck. 

• Personally I followed this guide. You do not have to follow it, but it's incredibly helpful.
  • Pick your main weapon stat and level it up with vitality up to 50. To be honest out of all three starter weapons I think the best choice is axe. Why? Moveset of this weapon offers dmg, stagger, knock backs and so on. Especially tricked axe R2 skill is incredibly helpful.
    • axe - str>skill
    • saw - str>skill (saw is quite forgiving if you pick skill over strength just to swap it for something else later on)
    • cane - skill>str
  • Like some already mentioned pebble. With some enemies you really need to be careful (especially if you haven't fought them yet) and fight it somewhere where nothing will interrupt you so use pebble alot. Also if you can get near the back of your enemy (you need to walk) you can charge R2 and stagger it and then use visceral.
  • Learn how to parry! I mean it... learn it. Aside from dodging and evading at the right time this is the next thing you should learn asap (shoot an enemy [L2] when its about to hit you with an attack and when you stagger them [its like they kneel] get near them and smack R1 and you should proceed into visceral animation). In central yharman you will meet two lonely big guys under the bridge. On those you can practice your timings of your parry attacks.

Hello :)
I love Bloodborne. It's by far one of my favorite games ever. The first time i playe I went skill build with the cane. I suffered thru it, because that is a hard build.
There are many cool builds to try, but for the first game I would suggest strenght/hunter axe. It's considered by many one of the most easiest and powerful weapons on the game.
Ppl here mentioned parry/visceral attacks, those are necessary mostly if you play skill or skill/bloodtinge build. I have a personnal friend that was also very new to BB, never played any from software games and did strenght/hunter axe and he is now on NG+++ :giggle:. It packs quite a punch.
Explore everything like Hemiak said and if you need help exploring you can find maps online here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bloodborne+maps&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjrmKv_9urbAhVOXKwKHVDHDwAQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=634

I used the maps and those were helpful. Enjoy the game and Fear the old blood! 😎

For your build I'd say go for strength and vitality in tandem, I found that to work really well for me focusing more on strength but not too much that it gets too high in comparison to health. I'd also go for some more stamina early on so you can get in a comfortable amount of hits in and then still be able to dodge out of the way, it's really just to improve QOL more than anything. With that being said though if you're going for weapons that use skill over strength then poor your points into that, when I got up to a higher level and reached the soft cap for strength I then went for skill since increased my strength more. Also you're gonna want to get parrying down, that'll help a lot with the hunter enemies and make some bosses easier if you can shot them. One more thing, if you're going for the plat, gl with defiled amygala that was probably the most stressed out I was playing the game so go for the head and take your time, also get you're health up to the point where you won't be one shot by him since he has a lot of health and going for 10 ish minutes without getting hit is a lot to ask. I hope I said something that'll help you even though you posted this a week ago glhf with the game. Also Rom is the worst boss, not fun.

Hi and good luck with Bloodborne! 

Here`s my advice:

• In terms of character build: in the beginning, focus on vitality to survive longer, but also build up strength. As soon as you feel you don`t die right away, get your strength up.
  • Another advice: up your dex according to the combos you want to use: e.g. I have enough dex to hit five times in a row with R1 attacks
  • The axe is a very good beginners weapon (though I used it all throughout the game), because it is fast, strong and has a great aerial attack with R2. 
  • Central Yharnam is a great place to farm blood vials if you run out of them, after completing the shortcuts: Run left and kill two ogres, they almost always drop at least 2 blood vials each. Then go back and up the building and kill the two wolves, they also like to drop blood vials. On this route I farm 10-16 blood vials in just a few minutes
  • Visceral attacks work by slowly approaching an enemy from behind, first do a heavy R2 and follow up with and R1
  • If you die with a lot of blood echoes, respawn and simply run through all enemies - you can pretty much run through all of them and they usually don`t follow you very far or at all - pick up your blood echoes and continue
  • If you can, use insight to play in multiplayer. It makes bosses so much easeier. Best ring your bell right at the beginning of a level or in front of the boss section. If you ring it at the beginning, usually someone will join while you make your way through to the boss. If you ring your bell right before the boss, you might have to wait for a while. 

Have fun!

I'm working on the Platinum for Bloodborne right now, having finished Demon's Souls and Dark Souls years ago (did not platinum those).  Best advice for newcomers:

1)  Never go into a boss fight or new area while having enough blood echoes (i.e. souls) to level up, or purchase that next weapon you want, etc.  Spend them so you don't risk losing progress.  If you are exploring a new area and hit your latest mark for blood echoes, run back to the nearest lantern or pull out using the extremely valuable Bold Hunter's Marks (i.e. homeward bones). 

2)  Bloodborne inexplicably makes you grind for basic health, which IMO is the #1 biggest design flaw compared to the regular Souls games with their beautiful auto-refilling health flask.  If you are finding a net loss of blood vials and other consumables as you try to get through a new area, this is BAD.  Take a deep breath and don't go on rage-tilt wasting your vials and bullets, because this could lead to grinding later in the game.  You need to re-evaluate your current plan of attack, try switching/upgrading weapons, switching blood gems, finding better runes, changing your outfit for specific defenses, etc.  If none of that works and you are still dying too much, try exploring a different area, because this will usually lead to you finding the valuable resources noted above.

3)  Explore new areas slowly, always on the lookout for cheap traps, falls, and hidden enemies, which the series just loves to spring on you.  "You know who" will still probably get you killed at least once during the game, but that is to be expected by now in a Souls game.  The messages on the ground from other players in Online Mode are often very helpful in preventing cheap deaths.

4)  Once you are familiar with the enemy layout in an area, you can aggressively make runs to grind/level your character fairly quickly, which obviously makes the bosses much more manageable.  Unfortunately I have yet to find any fast power-leveling areas in Bloodborne, unlike the original Dark Souls where there was that suicide cliff jump area in the woods where you could cheese your way to a ridiculously overpowered character in just a few hours.

5)  Bloodborne has an important "currency" in addition to blood echoes, called Insight.  Never break the Madman's Knowledge you find out in the world (gives you more Insight) unless you absolutely need it.  Once your Insight hits a certain level, not exactly sure maybe 15-25, enemies become more difficult.  SPOILER WARNING, later in the game many cheap piece of shit enemies can actually STEAL your Insight permanently.  Therefore try to keep your Insight low, even close to 0 if you want the enemies as easy as possible.  You can spend any extra Insight you earn from Bosses/Discoveries back at the Hunter's Dream for Fire and Bolt Paper, both of which are extremely useful and very expensive to buy using regular blood echoes.

6)  Best use of Insight IMO is for summoning NPCs for bosses.  Carry your extra Madman's Knowledge around with you, then break it when needed to gain Insight for the summon.  Some boss battles will actually allow you 2 NPCs at the same time, which can help a lot because they will create major distractions.  Note that some bosses might be easier to do solo, as bringing NPCs to help will also increase the boss's health bar.  Make sure you have the DLC installed as I believe it adds a bunch of summoning spots.  Also to avoid grief you may want to play in Offline Mode when summoning NPCs with the bell.  See next item.

7)  You can also try to summon other players to help you with bosses, but as of right now in July 2018 I'm finding this doesn't work at all.  Nobody ever spawns to help, HOWEVER, you can bet your ass the little troll boys are all waiting to invade your game the moment you ring the bell.  Any time I ever ring the bell for help from other players all I ever get is a notice that hostile players are trying to invade.  Fortunately they usually spawn far enough away that they never find you before you engage the boss fight. 

8)  SPOILER WARNING, the moment you enter the Nightmare Frontier from the Byrgenwerth Lecture Hall for the first time, there is an extremely high chance you are going to be instantly invaded by the little troll boys with their maxed-out characters and weapons.  Aren't they SO COOL waiting to pounce on unsuspecting players entering an extremely difficult new area for the first time??  I believe you can be invaded at any time while in the Nightmare Frontier (maybe elsewhere too), not sure about that but it's probably best just to play in Offline Mode while in the those particular areas.             

4)  I finally found the power-leveling CHEESE area today.  1st Floor Lecture Hall in Byrgenwerth, after you find the key, the large Theater Room on the right side halfway down the long hallway has about 15-20 pathetically easy, slow-moving enemies you can slaughter as they all try to squeeze through the doorway at the same time.  Using Moon rune(s) helps rack up the blood echoes even faster.  I only have one +10% Moon rune so far, and I'm still getting 12,000+ echoes per run, with each run only taking a couple minutes.  Even at level 70+ this means a new level gained every 5-10 minutes of grinding with this method, not too shabby!  Make sure to use Bold Hunter's Marks to warp back to the lantern, keeping your souls, and respawning the enemies without having to endure the annoying long load screens back and forth to Hunter's Dream!  Stock up on BHM's at Hunter's Dream first, they aren't too expensive.