PS5 Console Discussion Thread.

Nexuds121

On 6/20/2018 at 6:34 AM, TheGwynbleidd said:

For all of you saying that 2020 is too soon, every Sony console generation has lasted for 6 years with the exception of the 7th gen (PS3). PS1 came out in 1994, PS2 in 2000, PS3 in 2006 and PS4 in 2013. I am expecting a late 2019 release for PS5. And even if they decide to stretch the gen for 1 more year mid 2020 is perfect for the release of PS5. Last gen console have become kinda outdated compared to modern PC (Not talking about PRO and X). Consoles need to be constantly updated so they can offer a greater gaming experience. Sony doesn't care if some people have not bough a PS4 yet, they need to keep their hardware updated so they can stay relevant. My expectations for the next Sony console is backwards compatibility for PS4 games, 4K and 60fps locked.

Ps2 lasted for 13 years dude and Ps3 lasted for 9 years although it continued in Japan an extra year so technically 10. So idk where you got the 6 years from unless you mean continuous sales growth before it goes into decay.

Edited by VelikyNovgorod4

3 hours ago, VelikyNovgorod4 said:

Ps2 lasted for 13 years dude and Ps3 lasted for 9 years although it continued in Japan an extra year so technically 10. So idk where you got the 6 years from unless you mean continuous sales growth before it goes into decay.

He's talking about how long the generation lasted. Once the PS2 came out, the PS1 was no longer current gen, and so on and so forth. Old consoles selling after the next generation of consoles has come out is irrelevant.

Playstation will certainly continue to be my first choice platform because that's where all the single player and Japanese games I like live. It will be the first gen I don't get a release unit though. I just have too big a backlog and the mid gen refresh idea hit my confidence that a day one device will be properly supported. If a PS5 offers hardware based back compat then I might get on board earlier, but I would rather they spent the money on making new gen games run better instread. 

5 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

He's talking about how long the generation lasted. Once the PS2 came out, the PS1 was no longer current gen, and so on and so forth. Old consoles selling after the next generation of consoles has come out is irrelevant.

Yea exactly he is talking about how long it lasted and I said how long they did. I think your over thinking it to much.

As a tech nerd, I have to buy it day 1. I didn't with the PS4, I regret it. I want to be in day one and see everything they have to offer, from beginning to end.

As someone that likes to buy games on sale more often than not, I realize that the launch games are going to be pretty lackluster. That's the part that is going to be the biggest disappointment. But it's part of the investment.

Personally, I don't care at all about backward compatibility, sure it would be nice, but I usually keep the systems I plan playing games on in the future. The reason I won't be getting the PS5 in 2020 is my ridiculous and always expanding backlog. I'm disgusted with myself how easily I keep buying more and more games because hey, it's on sale so why not.

22 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

Personally, I don't care at all about backward compatibility, sure it would be nice, but I usually keep the systems I plan playing games on in the future. The reason I won't be getting the PS5 in 2020 is my ridiculous and always expanding backlog. I'm disgusted with myself how easily I keep buying more and more games because hey, it's on sale so why not.

I do the same thing, but my perspective is different, When PS5 launches, its a good chance for a fresh start with no back log :D

59 minutes ago, Wannalottaplat said:

I do the same thing, but my perspective is different, When PS5 launches, its a good chance for a fresh start with no back log :D

That's what I thought what 12 years ago when Valve launched Steam, then when they added achievements (I'm over 1 000 games there, plus a couple hundred not activated), so I moved to PS3, then Xbox, now PS4. I just waste money on games I never end up playing and at this point even if I wanted to I just have way too many.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 11:45 AM, VelikyNovgorod4 said:

I am not referring to the total time a console is on shelves being sold, but the total time it is ''current gen''. When PS5 comes out, PS4 will close its current gen cycle but Sony will continue to manufacture and sell it, thus marking the end of the 8th console generation (2013-2019 my guess).

On 7/18/2018 at 5:02 PM, TheGwynbleidd said:

I am not referring to the total time a console is on shelves being sold, but the total time it is ''current gen''. When PS5 comes out, PS4 will close its current gen cycle but Sony will continue to manufacture and sell it, thus marking the end of the 8th console generation (2013-2019 my guess).

Releasing it in 2019 wouldn't make much sense because the mid gen refreshes are still kinda new. Wouldn't make much sense to waste their sales potential when they spent tons of money on them.

5 hours ago, VelikyNovgorod4 said:

Releasing it in 2019 wouldn't make much sense because the mid gen refreshes are still kinda new. Wouldn't make much sense to waste their sales potential when they spent tons of money on them.

They ll probably lose some PS4 profits but they ll have to remain relevant. Microsoft is already developing their next consoles (yes 2, google project scarlet) and they 'll release them as soon as they have them ready to ship in order to get a head start on the 9th gen. Microsoft clearly lost the 8th gen and they want to make up for it, that's why we saw Spence announcing that Microsoft just acquired 5 new studios at E3. Sony has to jump on the 9th gen wagon as soon as their competitor does.