Need advice on buying a 3ds

KingGuy420

The last few days I've been looking into buying a handheld of some sort and I'm leaning towards the 3DS right now for the great library, but I'm kind of confused and hopefully someone can help me out.

Can anyone explain the whole "certain games need a certain model" thing? That's confusing the hell out of me. Will I be missing out on many top tier games by buying an older model?

Should I just buy the basic 2ds for 80$ and be done with it, or is the top tier model worth the extra 100$?

Do all the models play regular DS games or is that something that got phased out over the generations?

Seriously, any help would be so appreciated. Why a console needs soooo many variants is something I'll never be able to wrap my mind around lol.

So the "New" 3DS has slightly better hardware, so some games were made specifically for it. Here are the list of game: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/games-that-are-exclusive-enhanced-on-the-new-3ds.1177455/ The only real notable one is Xenoblade Chronicle, which is honestly better on a Wii, or other various means of playing the game.

All 3DSes can play DS games.

The only real thing to consider when buying the system is how good of a 3d experience you want, how large of a screen you want, and how portable you want it.

2DS: no 3d, and large size making it not very portable (still lightweight and easy to hold)

OG 3DS/ 3DS XL: Not as good 3D tracking

NEW 3DS/ 3DS XL: Better 3D tracking and a few few minor exclusive games.

• Like 1

the "certain games need certain models" thing is in reference to the "new" 3ds. there is the original 3ds and it's variants, then there is the "new" 3ds and it's variants. some games require the better processing power and such that is only supplied by the "new" 3ds systems. 

last time i checked there weren't too many games that require the "new" 3ds, but be sure to check any games you are looking at, they should be clearly listed both online and on the packaging as "new" 3ds games, as opposed to 3ds games.

which one you buy is a matter of preference from there out really. i am gonna be buying the "new" 2ds xl, because i like the second mini-joystick (helpful for a couple games like resident evil and monster hunter) and i like that it can fold in half. the base 2ds is a fantastic deal for the price though, and definitely worth it if you arent really interested in those features.

last time i checked, all 3ds models play nintendo ds games, always great.

sniped lol

Edited by danceswithsloths

There are very few exclusive games for *New* 3DS / 2DS. If you don’t care to play the port of Xenonlade, Fire Emblem Warriors, Minecraft, or SNES Virtual Console games, a regular 2DS is great. Almost all major releases since 2015 have minor to major enhancements when played on *New* 3DS / 2DS though. From more control options, to smoother performance, to full game modes, and even accessing the 3DS Menu while in game.

Your best option is to go through the games you’re interested in playing, and seeing if the *New* 3DS / 2DS exclusive features are worth it for you. You can replicate the second analog stick with a circle pad pro (not on 2DS) and amiibo functionality with an official amiibo portal, so don’t let those negligible features hold you back.

Edited by crauuecrauue

6 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

The last few days I've been looking into buying a handheld of some sort and I'm leaning towards the 3DS right now for the great library, but I'm kind of confused and hopefully someone can help me out.

Can anyone explain the whole "certain games need a certain model" thing? That's confusing the hell out of me. Will I be missing out on many top tier games by buying an older model?

Should I just buy the basic 2ds for 80$ and be done with it, or is the top tier model worth the extra 100$?

Do all the models play regular DS games or is that something that got phased out over the generations?

Seriously, any help would be so appreciated. Why a console needs soooo many variants is something I'll never be able to wrap my mind around lol.

Go for the New 3DS if you care about playing SNES classics. Some timeless masterpieces can be only played on the newest model. A Link to The past, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country series, Earthbound are some examples. There are very few games exclusive for New 3DS. Personally the one I only cared about was Xenoblade Chronicles and of course the SNES games.

All models can play DS games so don't worry about that.

Something that bothered me a bit about the newest model is that you need to open the back side of the new 3DS if you want to upgrade your memory using a micro SD card. The oldest model was way easier because it had the memory compartment on the bottom of the 3DS.

I bought an old 2DS last black friday in November, I really like that system and for the price you can't beat it (Console + Mario Kart 7 for 69€).

This month I got the *NEW* 2DS XL Pikachu edtion because I'd like to have one limited edition and that was my favourite. Imo it's worth the price because the screens are way bigger, it has better hardware (boots faster and downloads much faster), can play SNES and Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games and the *NEW* exclusive titles.

About the 3DS it self I never had one because the 3D is just a gimmick.

Well, thanks for the input everyone. Definitely have some things to think about now. 

When I was doing research it seemed everyone pointed to Xenoblade and the SNES games as the big ones that needed the upgrade, which I'm not too concerned about. Better buttons, bigger screens, and performance improvements definitely are though lol.

I'd say I'm going to go for a newer version, probably an XL. Whether it'll be a 2ds or a 3ds remains to be seen. See which one I can get a better deal on =)

Thanks again everyone, appreciate it.

• Like 2

Nintendo 3DS is my all time favorite console. While I don't use the 3D effect often it's pretty impressive to see in some games. Going for a New 3DS XL might be a good idea so you have the most possibilities with the hardware and you won't regret afterwards in case you want to play some of those New 3DS exclusive games. 

Btw, if you're new to Nintendo, there's a My Nintendo reward points system which offers discounts on games, free games and home menu themes, etc. They also give you discounts of select games on your birthday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Nintendo 3DS is my all time favorite console. While I don't use the 3D effect often it's pretty impressive to see in some games. Going for a New 3DS XL might be a good idea so you have the most possibilities with the hardware and you won't regret afterwards in case you want to play some of those New 3DS exclusive games. 

Btw, if you're new to Nintendo, there's a My Nintendo reward points system which offers discounts on games, free games and home menu themes, etc. They also give you discounts of select games on your birthday.

I'm definitely not new to Nintendo lol, just skipped it the last few gens. But I did not know about My Nintendo. Definitely going to check that out when I get one.

• Like 1

A footnote to all of this: Although a 3DS can play most games, newer models (with the New moniker) play them better, via the better hardware and clock speed. Its very noticeable in any game created after 2016.