Winston possibly dies at the end of 1984? wut?

Froopy the Temmie

So, I was browsing Stack Exchange today and came upon this question which pointed out that the last part of the book had this part in it:

Spoiler

The voice from the telescreen was still pouring forth its tale of prisoners and booty and slaughter, but the shouting outside had died down a little. The waiters were turning back to their work. One of them approached with the gin bottle. Winston, sitting in a blissful dream, paid no attention as his glass was filled up. He was not running or cheering any longer. He was back in the Ministry of Love, with everything forgiven, his soul white as snow. He was in the public dock, confessing everything, implicating everybody. He was walking down the white-tiled corridor, with the feeling of walking in sunlight, and an armed guard at his back. The long-hoped-for bullet was entering his brain.

So, I missed that part completely in high school.  Mind freaking blown.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Jelloycat said:

I thought he was left as a broken man who had given in to Big Brother. Pretty much like an example of anyone who tries to defy Big Brother. 

Well, yeah, that's how I saw it after his visit to Room 101, but that bullet part, especially after his encounter with Julia is what kinda makes me wonder.  I mean, O'Brien even said earlier that crushing someone's spirit wasn't enough after all was done unless he decided Winston got to live.

• Like 1

I don't think the "bullet" was a literal one.  I'd guess Big Brother & O'Brien were the ones who had "long hoped for" this "bullet" to enter Winston's "self" (brain?).  And it did.  He's still alive, only as a mindless puppet of The Party rather than who he was.

Edited by gameoverDude189
  • Like 2