Hanok04

Good non-PlayStation branded controllers?

21 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get myself another controller for my PS4, one to easily carry around like this HORI FPS controller, and it has a turbo function which could come handy in some games, mostly for AFKing.

But - does anybody here know any good suggestions for any non-song related controllers? I was thinking about picking up that hori pad but just curious if anybody knows any other controllers. 

Bonus points if it has additional features. :P (PS3/PS4 compatibility, wired, buttons like turbo etc.)

Edited by Hanok04

8 minutes ago, MrTorTik7743 said:

Razer and scuf

These are CRAZILY overpriced for what they offer. Especially SCUF. They look cool but I think there’s better and cheaper controllers out there.

regardless of that, thank you for the suggestion.

I don't think on Ps4 ther are really good controllers not Sony and for a Cheap Price.

I have the "Wired" Controller Branded Sony that i Got in a Shop when it was on Sale for 25 €. It's pretty good, Smaller than the Original one and with a Cable but aside that for the rest is pretty much the same with no Turbo option just Start and Social Button (Below the touch screen and not on the sides).

So for a Good price i recommend that but usually it costs 40 €, at that point even the Hori one you posted should be pretty Good and always Marked by Sony!

5 minutes ago, Sora9427 said:

I don't think on Ps4 ther are really good controllers not Sony and for a Cheap Price.

I have the "Wired" Controller Branded Sony that i Got in a Shop when it was on Sale for 25 €. It's pretty good, Smaller than the Original one and with a Cable but aside that for the rest is pretty much the same with no Turbo option just Start and Social Button (Below the touch screen and not on the sides).

So for a Good price i recommend that but usually it costs 40 €, at that point even the Hori one you posted should be pretty Good and always Marked by Sony!

I’m thinking about getting that HORI one as it seems like the best choice for not a whole lot of cash, so might go with that one. Just waiting to see what others think.

I got that HORI one myself a while ago and I'm fully satisfied with it.

Only thing I noticed is that you can't do motion tracking things (Which is actually logical if you think about it, which I didn't x'D) like some sequences in Beyond Two Souls or Until Dawn.

But all in all the price-performance-ratio is top.

1 hour ago, Riadoro said:

I got that HORI one myself a while ago and I'm fully satisfied with it.

Only thing I noticed is that you can't do motion tracking things (Which is actually logical if you think about it, which I didn't x'D) like some sequences in Beyond Two Souls or Until Dawn.

But all in all the price-performance-ratio is top.

I think I'm very certain about ordering one, but I was curious if the turbo function can turbo multiple button inputs at once? I've seen some HORI pads do this on the PS2/3 and I'm curious if it's anything similar for the PS4 pad. 

It isn't a issue if it can't do that, but just super curious to know if it can or not. If you're unable to check that then that's OK.

Edited by Hanok04

any one that has the analog and digital in the normal locations and not the flipped location. /s

I have not used any of the off-brand ones myself but I have seen the Hori controllers sell a lot.

71V0ABvlunL._AC_.jpg

Edited by DarkHarmonixer

6 hours ago, Hanok04 said:

I think I'm very certain about ordering one, but I was curious if the turbo function can turbo multiple button inputs at once? I've seen some HORI pads do this on the PS2/3 and I'm curious if it's anything similar for the PS4 pad. 

It isn't a issue if it can't do that, but just super curious to know if it can or not. If you're unable to check that then that's OK.

The one I ordered isn't able to turbo multiple buttons at once, sadly. It's only able to spam 1 button in 3(?) different speeds.

I'm 99,9% sure it can't. I played Beyond two souls like 2 weeks ago and you have to play Dual-mode (2 Players on  1 console) for 1 trophy and I always had to change which controller was controlling who depending on the chapter, because I wasn't able to progress when I had to do motion tracking things with the HORI.

I bought the New Revolution Controller on sale for around 70€ and I like it very much. I have to say that i generally prefere the Xbox 360 button layout over the Playstation so that's probably why i like it so much. I don't use the additional button's and whatnot so that might also be a plus for some. The only downside for me is that the Rumble function is way too strong. 

On 6/21/2018 at 6:55 AM, MrTorTik7743 said:

Razer and scuf

I agree, the Scuff is looking mighty tempting. I bought a Hori controller because of it's extra small size, my daughter plays games with me sometimes. it's easier for her to hold.

If you don't mind the price then the Razer Raiju is a fantastic controller. It is incredibly precise compared to the dual shock. The buttons are lowered so requires less pressure / movement to push. Button mapping all done on controller and it is wired.

41 minutes ago, cjshaitan said:

If you don't mind the price then the Razer Raiju is a fantastic controller. It is incredibly precise compared to the dual shock. The buttons are lowered so requires less pressure / movement to push. Button mapping all done on controller and it is wired.

I needed a new Playstation 4 controller but I'm under a budget! My new semester tuition are disastrous high. So I'm a cheap cake right now lmao. 

The hori pad works on a ps 4 pro as well?

On 6/21/2018 at 9:29 AM, DarkHarmonixer said:

any one that has the analog and digital in the normal locations and not the flipped location. /s

I have not used any of the off-brand ones myself but I have seen the Hori controllers sell a lot.

71V0ABvlunL._AC_.jpg

I have that one. $24 at Walmart. Best non-Sony controller. I even have big meaty hands and it's still comfortable for me. Don't get it on Amazon though. Going for $40 there.

true but it is authorized by Sony.

8 minutes ago, DarkHarmonixer said:

true but it is authorized by Sony.

I always had the impression anything release for their systems must be authorized. Is that not true?

1 hour ago, Sagaan said:

The hori pad works on a ps 4 pro as well?

Yes

2 hours ago, N3xmach-ina said:

I always had the impression anything release for their systems must be authorized. Is that not true?

it might have changed in recent years, but i know back for PS1-3 eras you could release a compatible controller without authorization.

I had a PS2 Alienware controller for years (poor thing died) it was the best PS2 controller i used yet did not have a Sony logo on the box.

413IuTYagkL._AC_SX430_.jpg

Edited by DarkHarmonixer

Just a heads up for those that may still have the DS4 v.1 and am playing with usb cord because you think you are getting less button lag. V.1 has no USB support for playing, the USB is purely there for charging even if you plug the controller in with cord. The controller was made for bluetooth only. If you have V.2 I think you have to go into the menus and turn USB on to be able to use it as a wired controller. I dont know how every other non SONY controllers work, I dont know if you got to turn it on with the wired and wireless ones. But it may something to look into if you controller lag is big issue for you, mainly competitive games I guess. Also this info may be outdated now after so many patches.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY