Gamehelp

Spyro Remake - Glide

54 posts in this topic

Not sure where to post so I ended up by choosing psnprofiles, but there's something i've noticed about the way Spyro reacts while in flight, in the original he spreads his feet (arms + feet?) and sways in the wind a little bit, I am sure anyone that has played the original games and remembers anything about them would know exactly what i'm talking about, i've attached a few quick references below in the spoilers.

 

dedcfd9eaf.jpg

 

37c922a35c.jpg



From what i've seen in these demos he kind of just... floats in mid air like a mosquito it's super noticeable to me personally - every single time without trying I notice it.

 

964f13ba25.jpg


Screen from here:

 


Call it "nit-picky" call it whatever you want, but to me this wont ever be the original it was and i'll be considering this a different series of Spyro entirely.

I know it's unfinished, but it's damn near close, I guess i'm posting this here to see what others think about this, i've heard absolutely nobody mention or bring this up anywhere ..and I kinda need some closure :S

Edited by Gamehelp
Removed the "Fin being a different shape" opinion, since people are focusing more on that than the actual topic - probably because they know that cannot defend the gliding difference. And the Fin is purely visual and aesthetic.
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can answer to that. The screenshots I look so far are different from what I seen. The new graphics are cut down slightly smaller to Spyro's Horns from the old generation.

The glide itself does look abit different to comparison.

Edited by Nexuds121
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His tail and feet clearly do sway in the wind when he's gliding, it's just not as exaggerated. I like the original animation more, but it's not absent in the new game.

 

And yeah of course this is a different series entirely. It's a remake, not a replacement. The original trilogy will always be there for people to play if they want to, and if anything this will actually draw more attention to the old games. For Crash it just brought a new generation of people into the series and brought back the interest and love for the originals.

 

Pointing out incredibly minor things like Spyro's fin shape really is nit-picky though. There are so many more big changes to talk about like the dragon statue characters having all new unique designs. If something as small as Spyro's spikes being shorter bothers you, then I don't know what to tell you dude. You're not going to enjoy this if you think it should be absolutely exact instead of giving the designers and devs some little freedoms over their project.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Spyro glides differently and his front horn is smaller so it's inconceivable to compare this one to the old one or to expect this game to be as good as the old ones... because THAT makes total sense.

 

If the aesthetics are the only thing to bitch about in the game... I think we'll all be okay.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ddracarys said:

 

Hold on, let me get this straight. You're willing to throw a remastered collection of three games that the gaming community has been wanting for decades under the bus, just because Spyro glides differently? That isn't nit-picky, that's completely delusional.

Well no i'm not throwing this under the bus, I am probably going to purchase the game despite all of the things i've mentioned and the 'bloom' in all of the current levels showcased, I have been hoping for something like this for a long time, the remaster looks fantastic, but it isn't flawless like a lot of other things in life.

What we've seen currently is ok, but it could be better and just settling for "ok" lowers your standards at least a little doesn't it? Don't want to sound ungrateful (I do sound ungrateful) but I mean shit I know I would want the 'remaster' to be as close to the original as possible personally, which is why it's subjectively controversial to me.

I said I would consider it a completely different Spyro series, the same way I consider The Legend of Spyro a separate series, but still a Spyro game nonetheless.

And I stand by what I said; if it doesn't look or feel like the original then why would I consider it a remaster of the original? (rhetorical question) Right now it almost looks like a remake; taking the level design layout and throwing the other aspects that what makes Spyro; Spyro, out the window is just an insult, I hope the end result has weight; to where Spyro feels like he belongs in the world like the original, aesthetically and physically (the world colours shouldn't wash out Spyro's pellet and objects and enemies should react to Spyro's attacks and weight etc, just like how Spyro has no weight in mid air while gliding and just drifts like a mosquito)

I hope there are others out there with higher standards than the people that liked your post, I started this topic to hear other peoples options and thoughts about the current game in question, not to have mine bashed by some ignorant asshole.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What?! You aren't going to buy a game based on how he glides and that he's head isn't the right shape? Because it's not like the original? Go play the original if you want him gliding "correctly". This is such a pointless nitpick that I'm struggling to make sense of what I just read. I've noticed people will honestly complain about anything at this point. I mean it's a remake, made from the ground up so of course things aren't going to look exactly the same but no reason to get on the high horse and say "It's not a Spyro game".

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KaiserMaglorix said:

What?! You aren't going to buy a game based on how he glides and that he's head isn't the right shape? Because it's not like the original? Go play the original if you want him gliding "correctly". This is such a pointless nitpick that I'm struggling to make sense of what I just read. I've noticed people will honestly complain about anything at this point. I mean it's a remake, made from the ground up so of course things aren't going to look exactly the same but no reason to get on the high horse and say "It's not a Spyro game".

Firstly right I thought it was a remaster not a remake, I literally just said I was going to purchase the game regardless of how the game looks or feels, so maybe process what you're reading before saying anything?

And no; i'm not on my high horse saying it's not a Spyro game; of course it's a Spyro game, but comparing this to the original there are differences if you have eyes and ears, even the gem sounds are different - and no, just because I brought it up does not mean I am saying this is a negative change.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... Wow, to me you were clearly looking for different aspects to nitpick at, like with the horn shape slightly being different, something is ALWAYS going to be slightly different in ANY remake/remaster 😑😑😑 just MO

Edited by ZachBoardyHD
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, you’re a true fan. But its a graphical remaster for a very old game. Graphics may be the only thing you will notice as being different - and thats a good thing. I believe Crash Bandicoot was remastered by the same company, and from what I understand - the gameplay is unchanged.

This conversation is funny. And the picture of the bat - come on - you have to laugh.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SoberNSane said:

OP, you’re a true fan. But its a graphical remaster for a very old game. Graphics may be the only thing you will notice as being different - and thats a good thing. I believe Crash Bandicoot was remastered by the same company, and from what I understand - the gameplay is unchanged.

 

Seriously, do you guys not know what the difference between a remaster and a remake is? 

 

Everything in this post is wrong. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gamehelp said:

Firstly right I thought it was a remaster not a remake, I literally just said I was going to purchase the game regardless of how the game looks or feels, so maybe process what you're reading before saying anything?

And no; i'm not on my high horse saying it's not a Spyro game; of course it's a Spyro game, but comparing this to the original there are differences if you have eyes and ears, even the gem sounds are different - and no, just because I brought it up does not mean I am saying this is a negative change.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought when you make a thread about something so minute as he gliding animation isn't the same as the original, so class it as a different Spyro series because of it. That gives me the impression you wouldn't be getting the game, you are buying so why the complaining? Also our standards are high, we do not expect a cheap port and that isn't what we are getting. Saying you have higher standards then @ddracarys and everyone who liked he's comment including myself is being on the high horse.

 

Also can people please understand the difference between a Remaster and a Remake please? A Remaster is taking a existing game and making it more pretty, for example Final Fantasy X HD. It's the same game just made to look better with current consoles and TVs, that's why you see a lot more Remasters because they are more easy to make I would assume. A Remake is what it says on the tin, they have remade the game completely. Example, Resident Evil 2 Remake. They didn't just take the PS2 and made it look better, because they would have a hell of a job doing that! They made it as if they was making a new game, normally Remakes have things added in or taken away from the original but still staying close to it as possible. It's not that hard to understand people! xD

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ImplyingYouCare said:

 

Seriously, do you guys not know what the difference between a remaster and a remake is? 

 

Everything in this post is wrong. 

Its being called a remaster for HD. But I’m no expert. I just don’t see why you can’t play along with an enthusiast of the original and his shock at hearing about the developments. I mean its not like we’re talking about your next surgery. 

Why do you guys have to jump all over people for nothing? Why so serious?! If its so important to you, tell us about your vast knowledge on the subject.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The confusion of Remake and Remaster comes from the companies marketing their games incorrectly, take the recent Crash Bandicoot "Remaster" for example, the game is fundamentally different and was built from the ground up, it even had the level Stormy Ascent as dlc that was not featured in the original game (but was still in the game files) or if you want a even better example take the bonus level from that same stage, which did not exist at all.

Despite the game being a remake by definition, the company still advertised it as:

babc0a2999.jpg

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SoberNSane said:

Its being called a remaster for HD. But I’m no expert. I just don’t see why you can’t play along with an enthusiast of the original and his shock at hearing about the developments. I mean its not like we’re talking about your next surgery. 

Why do you guys have to jump all over people for nothing? Why so serious?! If its so important to you, tell us about your vast knowledge on the subject.

 

I didn't jump all over him at all though. And no, it's not a remaster at all. It's a remake and what you're doing is spreading misinformation by calling it a graphical remaster. 

 

The game is being remade from the ground up the same way that Crash Bandicoot was. Old and new Crash do not play the same at all because the new game was completely remade in a different engine with different physics. It was not new models and textures being laid over 20 year old code and neither is this this new Spyro.

 

And Spyro is NOT being remade by the same team that did Crash. This is being made by Toys for Bob, Crash was done by Vicarious Visions. They're both under Activision, but they're not the same studio.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ImplyingYouCare said:

 

I didn't jump all over him at all though. And no, it's not a remaster at all. It's a remake and what you're doing is spreading misinformation by calling it a graphical remaster. 

 

The game is being remade from the ground up the same way that Crash Bandicoot was. Old and new Crash do not play the same at all because the new game was completely remade in a different engine with different physics. It was not new models and textures being laid over 20 year old code and neither is this this new Spyro.

 

And Spyro is NOT being remade by the same team that did Crash. This is being made by Toys for Bob, Crash was done by Vicarious Visions. They're both under Activision, but they're not the same studio.

Can we at least come to some neutral ground and agree that it is wrong as the publishers to advertise these games as remasters?  lol.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gamehelp said:

Can we at least come to some neutral ground and agree that it is wrong as the publishers to advertise these games as remasters?  lol.

 

Of course. I'm not sure if the confusion started because people kept incorrectly referring to remakes/remasters and advertisers picked up on it, or if the advertisements are the reason in the first place. Either way it's really annoying to deal with both sides of it and it's got to stop.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ImplyingYouCare said:

 

Of course. I'm not sure if the confusion started because people kept incorrectly referring to remakes/remasters and advertisers picked up on it, or if the advertisements are the reason in the first place. Either way it's really annoying to deal with both sides of it and it's got to stop.

The reason for the publisher advertising as a remaster and not a remake is probably purely psychological, and they'd get more attention from a wider audience.
 

I started this post with the intention of hearing other peoples opinions about how the games development is progressing and if there was anything else that we have publicly seen to start a controversial conversation about how the game differs from the original; what we're excited for and what we're not excited for, but I guess people don't care huh? as long as they have their pretty graphics and high refresh rate hehe!
 

But all that really came of this was banter about what the true definition of a remake and a remaster actually is and someone judging my intellect without knowing anything about me or my how I feel about the remake as a whole.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gamehelp said:

I started this post with the intention of hearing other peoples opinions about how the games development is progressing and if there was anything else that we have publicly seen to start a controversial conversation about how the game differs from the original; what we're excited for and what we're not excited for, but I guess people don't care huh? as long as they have their pretty graphics and high refresh rate hehe!
 

But all that really came of this was banter about what the true definition of a remake and a remaster actually is and someone judging my intellect without knowing anything about me or my how I feel about the remake as a whole.

 

That's really not what the OP post sounded like though. You didn't even ask what other differences that other people noticed in the remake. You didn't ask people what they were excited about or not excited about, you just pointed out minor differences that you personally didn't like. 

 

And you quoting me saying that I'm judging you is weird. I didn't say anything insulting towards you at all. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I looked at the old glide to see what you meant (13:30 if anyone is interested)

 

And my opinion is, the new glide looks smooth and elegant compared to this old one. I don't exactly see a mosquitio, it  seems more aero-dyanmic though.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ddracarys said:

 

Hold on, let me get this straight. You're willing to throw a remastered collection of three games that the gaming community has been wanting for decades under the bus, just because Spyro glides differently? That isn't nit-picky, that's completely delusional.

I don't think you got it straight at all. In fact that sounds more delusional. You expect a member of the guide team to have a little more poise.

But no, you even lead the mob at times. Just completely mocking people to get a laugh. Oh well, you use your power as you see fit. Sorry, you caught me on a bad day with a loose tongue. I guess it just speaks to the mob mentality when mean comments get so much rep. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

I seriously don't get why it seems like everyone bitches about everything that comes out these days. You obviously were looking way to hard to find something to bitch about in this game. Try just having fun with stuff instead of looking for literally anything negative to say about it. Which btw this is also the stupidest thing I have ever seen to dislike a game.

Hey friend, you have heard stupider things from me. 🙃

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

I seriously don't get why it seems like everyone bitches about everything that comes out these days. You obviously were looking way to hard to find something to bitch about in this game. Try just having fun with stuff instead of looking for literally anything negative to say about it. Which btw this is also the stupidest thing I have ever seen to dislike a game.

Oh the irony. 

 

@topic I noticed it from the first trailer and it makes me sad, the little wiggle Spyro did was so cute. I miss it. More annoyed they switched guns with paintball guns. Because villains who hurt and kill you with bullets sends a message that bullets and guns are dangerous. Can’t have that. Huh? I don’t get it. But it’s fine to burn everything alive. That doesn’t send a message at all. Pyromania is ok. Portraying guns as dangerous is not. Logic!

 

Still buying it though. 

 

Edit: have they showed the enemies who show their butts? I hope they aren’t given underwear or something. It was silly fun.

Edited by Elvick_
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.