Nintendo Switch not having a trophy was a big let down

Sunsnug_Warrior

That's kind of why I don't really touch my switch that much. An achievement system is nice and gives a bit more of a purpose for some games. Although the reason why I have mine is just to pick up the Nintendo only titles that interest me. I don't really buy a lot of games for it like I do for my PS4.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, cjshaitan said:

I like that you bought it without releasing it doesn't have a trophy system and expecting one. Lol.

But I agree it doesn't need one, it is a great system, and the games are great, impossible not to smile and have fun when playing.

Lol, that a bad side of impulse buying for me. loved the console. Probably playing a Snipperclips tonight with my son.

43 minutes ago, Condemned09 said:

Honestly I'm happy the Nintendo  Switch does not have trophies/achievement. Its nice just to play the games without worry about trophies and play for fun. 

Yeah, i agree with that. Somehow when i think about it, we play games just for fun. I almost forgot. 

• Like 1

God, I'm fucking glad they didn't.

On Switch I've completed my first Lego game in years without being compelled to plat it, I've dumped 30 odd hours into Fortnite for fun with no chivos, I clocked Doom, Zelda, Mario, and countless other games without the compulsive need to go back and "finish" them... I'm finished when I say I'm finished now, none of this "you only beat the story and only have 20% of the trophies, you barely played it" I'll play the damn amount I want, on the damn difficulty I want, the damn way I want, and no stupid achievement list will dictate how good I did. 

I'll get into it more later if I remember, but basically, when the Switch, the last hold out, gets an achievement system, a part of gaming will die, and I'm fucking ECSTATIC that it hasn't yet.

• Like 4

I would personally be much more likely to get a Switch if it had trophy support (not just its own system, but actual integration with the PS trophy system).

Given Ninties willingness to buddy up with MS on Live integration, and their generally hopeless online infrastructure, I think Sony should push heavily for this. Ninty would get a reliable system with over 40M users, and Sony would have more influence in allowing cross play with only switch. 

Edited by thefourfoldroot

38 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

I would personally be much more likely to get a Switch if it had trophy support (not just its own system, but actual integration with the PS trophy system).

Given Ninties willingness to buddy up with MS on Live integration, and their generally hopeless online infrastructure, I think Sony should push heavily for this. Ninty would get a reliable system with over 40M users, and Sony would have more influence in allowing cross play with only switch. 

Never gonna happen. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HOGIE838IRE said:

I doubt it if they will. The Switch seems to be doing really well without it, maybe if it was suffering they’d consider an achievement system. Though never say never! That’s the reason I never got one 1f604.png

Success and achievements have nothing to do with each other. The Xbox 360 did well out the gate because it had a bunch of great games its first two years. What achievements do promote however is more game sales which is something Nintendo has desperately needed for a long time now. Their main franchises don't have a hard time selling but you don't get top selling home consoles like the PS2-4 and the Xbox 360 just selling a few key franchises. Among all four of those consoles you'll find numerous multiplat games all over their most sold games. The Wii moved hardware and it had key software but not much else. Some companies (like Sega and Capcom) tried to help the Wii but they would eventually give up.

Lets use a game like Energy Balance as an example for a second. Is it a killer app? No. Is it any good? That's up to opinion. Outside trophies and achievements do many people actually buy this? I entirely doubt that and I would be willing to bet its moved a fraction of the sales that it did on either the Xbox or PlayStation platforms.

We can go back and argue the quality of that game so instead lets mention some good games like Hollow and Kamiko. Never heard of either of those? That's exactly my point.

47 minutes ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

Personally I'm glad Nintendo chose this direction. When you play a game on the Switch, you play it because you want to play that game, and not for some stupid achievements. 

I'm not sure how many people play games just for the trophies though I guess it's a small percentage. After years of trophy saturation it is a bit of a turn off to play something like Dark Souls without them in my opinion. I don't love trophies though accept that they are there, Nintendos non stop idea of being different doesn't really help anyone and if we had more multiplats due to a popularity surge caused by trophies then everyone wins.

2 hours ago, madbuk said:

You do realize if Nintendo adds an achievement system, you can just ignore it? There's literally no downside to having one.

The downside is that people will be playing these games just for the sake of achievements.