Nintendo Switch not having a trophy was a big let down

Sunsnug_Warrior

In my opinion it is an advantage that you don't have achievements on the Switch (yes, I own one myself). Make the games in their internal system to 100%, in most games you can track that. Else, just start playing games for fun again.

On Playstation I often see myself doing weird stuff or not playing games just because of achievements, I would've never done that in the old days (I was a Nintendo Kid, not a Sony one)

6 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

God, I'm fucking glad they didn't.

On Switch I've completed my first Lego game in years without being compelled to plat it, I've dumped 30 odd hours into Fortnite for fun with no chivos, I clocked Doom, Zelda, Mario, and countless other games without the compulsive need to go back and "finish" them... I'm finished when I say I'm finished now, none of this "you only beat the story and only have 20% of the trophies, you barely played it" I'll play the damn amount I want, on the damn difficulty I want, the damn way I want, and no stupid achievement list will dictate how good I did. 

I'll get into it more later if I remember, but basically, when the Switch, the last hold out, gets an achievement system, a part of gaming will die, and I'm fucking ECSTATIC that it hasn't yet.

Blaming an achievement system of your compulsive behaviors... what? If you feel the need to go back and get all trophies after finishing a game, that is your problem. lol 

I know that if i got a switch, even without an achievement system, i would still do everything in the game. Guess what? I did that before the trophy/achievement system was ever introduced. Whenever someones got a problem, they always want to blame it on someone/something else instead of admitting they might have an issue with the way theyre handling things.

“Waaaa, trophies ruined my enjoyment of games, pls git rid of it, i just want to enjoy games again lols” shut up.

OP im with you, the switch having some kind of achievement system would be cool af.

Edited by UlvenFenrir
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

Personally I'm glad Nintendo chose this direction. When you play a game on the Switch, you play it because you want to play that game, and not for some stupid achievements. 

I want to played the game I love and get just a little appreciation from pouring 150 hours into it. Wouldn't it cool to have sort of platinum 'True Champion of Hyrule' trophy in BOTW?

3 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

Success and achievements have nothing to do with each other. The Xbox 360 did well out the gate because it had a bunch of great games its first two years. What achievements do promote however is more game sales which is something Nintendo has desperately needed for a long time now. Their main franchises don't have a hard time selling but you don't get top selling home consoles like the PS2-4 and the Xbox 360 just selling a few key franchises. Among all four of those consoles you'll find numerous multiplat games all over their most sold games. The Wii moved hardware and it had key software but not much else. Some companies (like Sega and Capcom) tried to help the Wii but they would eventually give up.

Lets use a game like Energy Balance as an example for a second. Is it a killer app? No. Is it any good? That's up to opinion. Outside trophies and achievements do many people actually buy this? I entirely doubt that and I would be willing to bet its moved a fraction of the sales that it did on either the Xbox or PlayStation platforms.

We can go back and argue the quality of that game so instead lets mention some good games like Hollow and Kamiko. Never heard of either of those? That's exactly my point.

You sum it up perfectly . I bought Switch solely because of Nintendo exclusives game (Oddsey and Mario Kart) just because their games are the most polished and family friendly. If they later added trophies it would be very nice addition. 

4 hours ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

3 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

48 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Blaming an achievement system of your compulsive behaviors... what? If you feel the need to go back and get all trophies after finishing a game, that is your problem. lol 

I know that if i got a switch, even without an achievement system, i would still do everything in the game. Guess what? I did that before the trophy/achievement system was ever introduced. Whenever someones got a problem, they always want to blame it on someone/something else instead of admitting they might have an issue with the way theyre handling things.

“Waaaa, trophies ruined my enjoyment of games, pls git rid of it, i just want to enjoy games again lols” shut up.

OP im with you, the switch having some kind of achievement system would be cool af.

Yeah, I know right. But I'm cool with Switch doesn't have a trophies for now. The only thing that bugged me is that switch doesn't have a background music or ambient. That's make it really........ dull in my opinion. 

Edited by Sunsnug_Warrior
bad signal. post got weird

1 hour ago, fastflowdaman said:

Achievements and trophies changed gaming. Whether for the "better" or for the "worse" or simply the way you are playing without any valuation attached to it, or not at all, depends on you and how you let yourself be influenced by those incentives.

Claiming trophies were "bad" or that a system would be better off without them because you are not able to resist their appeal is as stupid as a fat kid blaming icecream for his obesity and wanting sweets to be banned.

Do you want Nintendo consoles to be your safe space for not having to deal with evil achievements tempting you?

The more options, the better. Whether you use them or not is up to you. Don't blame opportunities and options for your own weakness.

You sir, I like you. 

• Like 2

Although trophies and achievements aren't necessarily mandatory to enjoy a game, I'd say that it'd be great if Nintendo added some sort of award/achievement system to their consoles. :)

Haven't played most recent Nintendo games after the Wii *ahem* but, if I remember right, most of their games do a pretty good of keeping track of achievements within the game itself. I distinctively remember Super Smash Bros. Brawl on Wii having a grid-like system in which you needed to accomplish a certain number of stuff within the game in order to unlock trophies and stickers. I thought that was pretty cool. Punch-Out!! (on the Wii) also had some sort of medals for figuring out how to beat the other boxers with a certain set of requirements and those definitely extended out the lifetime on that game for me. The problem with those kinds of achievements is that they weren't tied to an account or to a profile but rather to the game itself. Now, there is nothing wrong with that, but I'd personally like for a system to be implemented in order to track that kind of stuff in a more global way. That's one of the reasons I actually like trophies you know. To actually look back and remember the things I have done in gaming. They could just add the system and have the option the turn notifications on and off, in case you don't want to be bothered with the achievements. People love when they are given options you know.

Even if Nintendo doesn't implement an achievement system, I'm still gonna end up purchasing their systems and games just for the enjoyment factor alone.  ^_^

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

The downside is that people will be playing these games just for the sake of achievements.

The downside is people doing things they enjoy that don't impact you whatsoever?

Honestly, having given up on trophies to try and save what little is left of my OCD-rattled brain, I do miss them.  It's great that I can play any game I want, any system I want, any profile I want, with impunity... but without that carrot dangling in front of me, I almost never play through a game more than once (if I finish it in the first place).

I'm a pretty moody guy.  There are a lot of games I bail on part way through because I'm not really feeling it one day, then play it again a year or two later and wonder why I didn't appreciate it at all the first time around.  Trophies definitely help is that regard.  Otherwise my only motivation to keep coming back, is hoping that the game sucks less the further I go, or as my mood turns.  Usually the latter since most games aren't as bad as I think they are on a bad day.  Coming back for the trophy metagame makes the whole process feel less hopeless (to be dramatic) and helps temper my judgements towards a game since it places more emphasis on the "end", and takes a little pressure off the need for the "journey" to be perfect.

Long story short, I think achievements/trophies are a good thing.  I wouldn't mind seeing it on the Nintendo consoles as well.  I probably wouldn't use them (if I did, it means I relapsed xD) but I get why people do.  To each their own.

Edited by Dreakon13

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

The downside is people doing things they enjoy that don't impact you whatsoever?

The downside is that some people will play the game with a different mindset than intended, and therefore miss out on the 'true' experience of the game.

14 minutes ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

The downside is that some people will play the game with a different mindset than intended, and therefore miss out on the 'true' experience of the game.

I think 'true' experience is differs from one to another. I think many people also enjoy hunting for trophies which tinkering stuff inside the game. 

1 hour ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

Why would the developers create trophies/achievements that go against the "mindset" that people playing are supposed to have? If they don't want someone to grind to level 999, they wont make a trophy for grinding to level 999.

1 minute ago, Conker said:

I think it’s cool nintendo still don’t have them :) 

not like you cannot enjoy there quality games without trophys

Not like you cannot enjoy their quality games with trophies. idk why you'd think it's cool that they're lacking an entirely optional feature.

Well I love trophies. I feel it adds another dimension to games and gives you an end goal to work towards. I also think it's a nice way of measuring when you have finished a game and allows you to feel properly satisfied when you get 100% particularly if you get a series done and is also cool to show off and look back on. I don't know why I'm explaining why trophies are good on a trophy website; I see people with hundreds of trophies complaining about a trophy/acievement system. Well anyway I think Nintendo should implement some kind of system. It makes a lot of sense from a business practice as well; think of all the games and dlc we've bought just for the trophies (or where trophies have been a factor) and it's cost Sony (presumably) next to nothing.

42 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Not like you cannot enjoy their quality games with trophies. idk why you'd think it's cool that they're lacking an entirely optional feature.

Idk why you care so much about what people think about an optional feature.

43 minutes ago, olliebear66t said:

Well I love trophies. I feel it adds another dimension to games and gives you an end goal to work towards. I also think it's a nice way of measuring when you have finished a game and allows you to feel properly satisfied when you get 100% particularly if you get a series done and is also cool to show off and look back on. I don't know why I'm explaining why trophies are good on a trophy website; I see people with hundreds of trophies complaining about a trophy/acievement system. Well anyway I think Nintendo should implement some kind of system. It makes a lot of sense from a business practice as well; think of all the games and dlc we've bought just for the trophies (or where trophies have been a factor) and it's cost Sony (presumably) next to nothing.

Lots of things are being talked about in this thread. For example, this post mentions trophies showing you have "finished" a game. Well, how do we define finishing a game? Finishing the story? Getting all the trophies? There are games that let you get all the trophies without finishing the story, and there are games that let you get all the trophies while barely scratching the surface of the game's content.

I think the "value" of trophies is dependent on how well they're implemented. As we've seen with PS and Xbox games, it's a wide range of implementations. I like the idea of trophies showing progress in a game, but it only has meaning if they're implemented well. The Wii, Wii U, and 3DS have activity logs (which I guess can be shared manually with other gamers), but that only shows time spent in games. Maybe what Nintendo should do is a balance of the two - something showing you finished the story in Zelda Breath of the Wild, but not whether or not you got the "trophy" for 1,000 kills using the Master Sword.

I don't need universal online trophies on Nintendo systems like exist on PS and Xbox. Also, as has been pointed out, there are some Nintendo games with in-game achievements, but it's only a handful of Nintendo games. If Nintendo DID implement trophies, obviously multiplatform games could use the same ones as the Xbox/PS versions, and I would expect Nintendo first-party games to have clever trophies that might not be as grindy as Xbox/PS ones often are. But I would rather they focus on creating a great eShop infrastructure (e.g. with cross-buy between 3DS/WiiU/Switch and 100% account-based digital purchases), savegame backups in the cloud, a good centralized multiplayer infrastructure, and a replacement for Virtual Console. Those are things that have more tangible effects than trophies.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

There are a number of games that have in game achievements including Disgaea 5, Bayonetta, Hollow Knight and the Smash Bros. games which always have achievements in them. Get them games if you want your fix of achievements. Personally speaking, the Switch doesn't need trophies/achievements. What it does need is the ability to interact with/message your friends as well as a decent system for voice chat. 

29 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Lots of things are being talked about in this thread. For example, this post mentions trophies showing you have "finished" a game. Well, how do we define finishing a game? Finishing the story? Getting all the trophies? There are games that let you get all the trophies without finishing the story, and there are games that let you get all the trophies while barely scratching the surface of the game's content.

I think the "value" of trophies is dependent on how well they're implemented. As we've seen with PS and Xbox games, it's a wide range of implementations. I like the idea of trophies showing progress in a game, but it only has meaning if they're implemented well. The Wii, Wii U, and 3DS have activity logs (which I guess can be shared manually with other gamers), but that only shows time spent in games. Maybe what Nintendo should do is a balance of the two - something showing you finished the story in Zelda Breath of the Wild, but not whether or not you got the "trophy" for 1,000 kills using the Master Sword.

I don't need universal online trophies on Nintendo systems like exist on PS and Xbox. Also, as has been pointed out, there are some Nintendo games with in-game achievements, but it's only a handful of Nintendo games. If Nintendo DID implement trophies, obviously multiplatform games could use the same ones as the Xbox/PS versions, and I would expect Nintendo first-party games to have clever trophies that might not be as grindy as Xbox/PS ones often are. But I would rather they focus on creating a great eShop infrastructure (e.g. with cross-buy between 3DS/WiiU/Switch and 100% account-based digital purchases), savegame backups in the cloud, a good centralized multiplayer infrastructure, and a replacement for Virtual Console. Those are things that have more tangible effects than trophies.

Sure some (very few I would say) games have bad trophy lists where you don't need to beat them but I would say in general getting the platinum means you've at least finished the story with common trophies being complete all upgrades, find all collectibles, beat on all difficulties etc, showing you've made the most of the game. Without trophies and a platinum it is harder to define finishing a game. Also you have 112 platinums, do you not find trophies rewarding? 

50 minutes ago, olliebear66t said:

Sure some (very few I would say) games have bad trophy lists where you don't need to beat them but I would say in general getting the platinum means you've at least finished the story with common trophies being complete all upgrades, find all collectibles, beat on all difficulties etc, showing you've made the most of the game. Without trophies and a platinum it is harder to define finishing a game. Also you have 112 platinums, do you not find trophies rewarding? 

Sure, trophy lists that don't require beating the game (e.g. Teslagrad) are rare, but it's pretty common to have open world games that make the Platinum goalpost an arbitrary point between "almost did everything in the game" and "did everything in the game". It even varies within series, like Assassin's Creed (e.g. Rogue had trophies for messing around with a handful of the cheats, and other games did not). Telltale is another example - Wolf Among Us was one of their few games that required exploring most or all of the "major alternate choice" story decisions. Walking Dead didn't do that, at least in S1 and S2. And to be honest, I'd make the argument that in story-heavy "interactive movie" games like Telltale, seeing multiple paths makes the game less immersive. I never bothered going for the Platinum in any Quantic Dream games because it felt so strange to me to see alternate decisions play out.

That's why I'm arguing that Nintendo implementing a system to track which games have had the story completed, is more interesting to me. Heck, they could have a "story completed" and something like a Platinum level of completion too (which will probably still vary wildly between games).

I used to find trophies more rewarding, when I first started playing on PS3. Now I have a like/hate relationship with them. I haven't dropped them completely but I'm slowly getting there. Yeah, it's weird for me to still be on a trophy hunter site, but there's a good community here of gamers that isn't as toxic as say Gamefaqs.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

13 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

I ain't blaming shit dude, I'm just saying I'm glad the temptation isn't there, especially for the weaker willed people with actual compulsive behavioral traits and issues.

But either way, I stand by saying that a trophy list dictating one's completion of a game is arbitrary and or silly. A game is done when you want it to be done, a game is 100%'d when the game says it's 100%'d, not when some list, that most of the time barely reflects the actual completion of the game anyway, says so.

Like. GTA V's platinum barely requires you to even do (if you're lucky) maybe 80% of all the stuff in that game, and unless the trophies actually reflect completion PROPERLY, then they're just a fun little digital token you get for doing something, they don't always mean you've actually done everything in a game, so why bother? Like here's a good one, Amazing Spider-Man 2, to plat that you need only 91% overall completion, you can completely skip a gooood chunk of collectibles, including all the Oscorp crates IIRC, and you still get a platinum. For the most part trophies are worthless and never show off that you've actually done everything in the game anyways. 

As for you, if you're 100%ing shit anyway, a trophy system wouldn't make you do anything any differently, and thus, would still be useless for you as well. So with that in mind, *you* can shut up. 

8 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

There are a number of games that have in game achievements including Disgaea 5, Bayonetta, Hollow Knight and the Smash Bros. games which always have achievements in them. Get them games if you want your fix of achievements.

Nothing against those games, Hollow Knight is one of my faves... but that's kinda lame.  I think many people use trophies to accentuate the kinds of games they like to play... not to just play any ol' thing for an "achievement fix".