Nintendo Switch not having a trophy was a big let down

Sunsnug_Warrior

You can hide trophy notifications and just play games as you see fit, because that will make you feel you're not going after achievements.

Shame Nintendo hasn't gotten on board with achievements. Steam, Sony and Microsoft all have their respective achievement system, would be nice if there was an achievement for beating Super Mario Odyssey in less than X amount of hours, or win first place in an online match in a Mario Kart game.

• Like 1

On 2018-06-25 at 8:38 PM, Condemned09 said:

Honestly I'm happy the Nintendo  Switch does not have trophies/achievement. Its nice just to play the games without worry about trophies and play for fun. 

Lol. Because just not caring is too hard for people apparently. If it’s there then apparently nobody can resist. Except, you know, most people who don’t care. 

This is is like the “I’m glad there’s no online!” People over NSMBW. just don’t use it if you don’t want to. Justifying lack of options is exclusive to Nintendo. 

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

the REAL PROBLEM IS, How ps4 players can't use there FORKNIFE players on SWITCH.

i mean really, all they wan't to do is pown is the noobs, this game is pure poo poo.

I actually salute sony for doing this salt the forknifers

anyhow it's a good thing they don't look at what it has done to the industry.

nintendo doesn't need them, they are doing just fine without them.

no trophies = no problems = fact

Edited by Galactic Hyper Balls

10 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I ain't blaming shit dude, I'm just saying I'm glad the temptation isn't there, especially for the weaker willed people with actual compulsive behavioral traits and issues.

But either way, I stand by saying that a trophy list dictating one's completion of a game is arbitrary and or silly. A game is done when you want it to be done, a game is 100%'d when the game says it's 100%'d, not when some list, that most of the time barely reflects the actual completion of the game anyway, says so.

Like. GTA V's platinum barely requires you to even do (if you're lucky) maybe 80% of all the stuff in that game, and unless the trophies actually reflect completion PROPERLY, then they're just a fun little digital token you get for doing something, they don't always mean you've actually done everything in a game, so why bother? Like here's a good one, Amazing Spider-Man 2, to plat that you need only 91% overall completion, you can completely skip a gooood chunk of collectibles, including all the Oscorp crates IIRC, and you still get a platinum. For the most part trophies are worthless and never show off that you've actually done everything in the game anyways. 

As for you, if you're 100%ing shit anyway, a trophy system wouldn't make you do anything any differently, and thus, would still be useless for you as well. So with that in mind, *you* can shut up. 

I agree with you that a trophy list doesnt always reflect a true 100% completion but it depends on how you look at it. For someone getting all trophies in a game is 100% to them regardless if there is still things to do in the game. Im just saying that trophies never really changed how you play games, sure theres the odd “kill 10 enemies in this weird way” that you normally wouldnt do but that doesnt change the fact that theres always been silly stuff youve had to do in games to acquire all weapons/items or getting 100% in-game completion.

so anyone blaming trophies for the way you play games is just stupid. I also find it funny when people call out trophies to be meaningless and a waste of time when it is no different to getting a high score on the arcade machine or winning in e-sport. It holds as much value as you want it to.

how is “wasting” dozen of hours in a game getting a weapon or item in some obscure manner any different to “wasting” a dozen hours getting a “meaningless” trophy that holds about as much value as a weapon that no one cares about? The only one who cares should be the player. Doesnt matter what other thinks.

oh and if you want a true list that reflects a 100% completion, then theres always yakuza. ;)

2 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

I agree with you that a trophy list doesnt always reflect a true 100% completion but it depends on how you look at it. For someone getting all trophies in a game is 100% to them regardless if there is still things to do in the game. Im just saying that trophies never really changed how you play games, sure theres the odd “kill 10 enemies in this weird way” that you normally wouldnt do but that doesnt change the fact that theres always been silly stuff youve had to do in games to acquire all weapons/items or getting 100% in-game completion.

so anyone blaming trophies for the way you play games is just stupid. I also find it funny when people call out trophies to be meaningless and a waste of time when it is no different to getting a high score on the arcade machine or winning in e-sport. It holds as much value as you want it to.

how is “wasting” dozen of hours in a game getting a weapon or item in some obscure manner any different to “wasting” a dozen hours getting a “meaningless” trophy that holds about as much value as a weapon that no one cares about? The only one who cares should be the player. Doesnt matter what other thinks.

oh and if you want a true list that reflects a 100% completion, then theres always yakuza. ;)

I agree with everything you said and have no counter point. Am quoting just to make it known I've seen and agree with your points.

• Like 1

It's always funny to see how many people are against having a totally optional trophy/achievement system in place, as if the very existence of one would somehow makes games less fun. People have rightly pointed out that you can completely ignore them if that's what you want to do. You guys make it sound like trophy hunting has ruined your gaming experience or something, which is all the more amusing considering what site you're on and your trophy counts. Just stop if you don't consider it fun. :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

One of the downsides if there are games that shouldn't even exist like I am mayo because of these systems

Don't Buy It? Don't Support it? I Imagine that somewhere you in your life you don't support a certain belief/restaurant/organization because you don't believe in the way they practice... do you protest it? Does that help them drive sales?

The best part of your particular argument is there is absolutely no downside.

Don't like it? Don't buy it... really is that simple.

10 minutes ago, SwampGas said:

Don't Buy It? Don't Support it? I Imagine that somewhere you in your life you don't support a certain belief/restaurant/organization because you don't believe in the way they practice... do you protest it? Does that help them drive sales?

The best part of your particular argument is there is absolutely no downside.

Don't like it? Don't buy it... really is that simple.

Tell that to the people that can't help themselves with trophies

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

One of the downsides if there are games that shouldn't even exist like I am mayo because of these systems

I don't think so.  There have been trash games in the past.  Can you imagine a game like Superman 64 with trophies LOL Flying through two straight rings would be a gold trophy :lol: 

Edited by grimydawg

23 minutes ago, grimydawg said:

I don't think so.  There have been trash games in the past.  Can you imagine a game like Superman 64 with trophies LOL Flying through two straight rings would be a gold trophy :lol: 

Automatic platinum if you could fly through 5 in a row without messing up

The lack of trophies/achievements of any sort on Nintendo has kept me away from their consoles. I've only ever had a 3DS for Pokemon and Harvest Moon, but could never imagine sinking my time and effort in to long rpg or challenging game on Nintendo when there is no trophy at the end of the tunnel.

No motivation or sense of satisfaction. I like trophies and find the idea of them fun, a way of adding new challenge to a game to things that I would probably otherwise ignore, and also rewarding. I'm not one to buy/ play games just for trophies, but I find that I enjoy the game a lot more tackling all the extra challenges. Also, the feel good factor a platinum is hard to beat!

It also gives an option for those who like to chase trophies and those who don't can happily ignore. 

The Switch is a great hardware and all. The only issue I have with it is that's Nintendo on the inside and not Sony (or Xbox, at least they have achievements). If Nintendo ever do consider adding something like trophy support, I would consider buying one of their consoles. But until then, I shall be sticking with my PS4 and Vita for now. 

2 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

The lack of trophies/achievements of any sort on Nintendo has kept me away from their consoles. I've only ever had a 3DS for Pokemon and Harvest Moon, but could never imagine sinking my time and effort in to long rpg or challenging game on Nintendo when there is no trophy at the end of the tunnel.

No motivation or sense of satisfaction. I like trophies and find the idea of them fun, a way of adding new challenge to a game to things that I would probably otherwise ignore, and also rewarding. I'm not one to buy/ play games just for trophies, but I find that I enjoy the game a lot more tackling all the extra challenges. Also, the feel good factor a platinum is hard to beat!

It also gives an option for those who like to chase trophies and those who don't can happily ignore. 

The Switch is a great hardware and all. The only issue I have with it is that's Nintendo on the inside and not Sony (or Xbox, at least they have achievements). If Nintendo ever do consider adding something like trophy support, I would consider buying one of their consoles. But until then, I shall be sticking with my PS4 and Vita for now. 

Makes me really wonder how many people on this website actually played video games before achievements ever became a thing

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

Makes me really wonder how many people on this website actually played video games before achievements ever became a thing

I've played since about the PS1 and GB Colour days and because there was no such thing as trophies, I never knew the satisfaction of them and just went about pouring 100+ hours into FFX and Crash Bandicoot. But after getting the taste of trophy satisfaction when I got my PS3 and FFXIII being my first game (and first plat), it was hard go back. Got quite into trophies from then.

I think it's like trying to go back to playing the black and white pixel games that we had years ago after playing realistic PS4 games. Easier to from worse to better, but harder to back the other way, so I see it as after giving players the taste of trophies it's difficult to swipe it away, a bit like coffee or cigarettes ?

• Like 1

Besides trophies Nintendo would need a site like this one or other forums revolving around trophies (from them or others). For me this is one of the bigger desires. But since Nintendo has a younger audience this would probably not exist in the same way as it does for the xbox or the playstation. So even with trophies, Nintendo should step up their online game, otherwise achievements are pretty much worthless on the system (no app, no convenient Nintendo store in your browser, good friend lists with comparing stuff, etc.).