Nintendo Switch not having a trophy was a big let down

Sunsnug_Warrior

13 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Im just saying that trophies never really changed how you play games, sure theres the odd “kill 10 enemies in this weird way” that you normally wouldnt do but that doesnt change the fact that theres always been silly stuff youve had to do in games to acquire all weapons/items or getting 100% in-game completion.

Games like Ratchet and Clank have always had those things via Skill Points. Trophies haven't really changed anything other than giving a neat extra and a way to track your gaming history.

edit; It's such a silly thing to complain about. I played well beyond getting the platinum in Disney Infinity 2.0 and 3.0 since the games were fun. I stopped playing Smite when I stopped having fun with it, even though I didn't get the plat. And I'm fine with that.

I think Nintendo should do stickers like they had in SSBB, and then let you use them to make little pictures with the images of the stickers. That'd be a fun, Nintendo-y twist on the whole thing.

Edited by Elvick_

Lack of Trophy support or any kind of similar achievements is the reason I avoid Nintendo altogether. I just feel that it's a waste of time putting time and effort into their games when there's no reward in the end. I much prefer to enjoy games and get the bonus satisfaction of trophies on Sony than put the same effort but get nothing via Nintendo. So I never buy or play Nintendo consoles. 

• Like 3

im not really bothered about having no trophies 

trophies are nice but some times its nice to play a game with out them its a change

but i wanst expecting them to have trophies anyways they never really have and any ways the Switch isnt the best for speaking to people because theirs no messaging or anything so even if they did i doubt any one would see them since all your friends really do on their are their just to play multiplayer games 

I've barely touched it tbh and I can see it as just a Wii U replacement at this stage, with that I mean it's just going to gather dust or be homebrewed. I guess I like the trophies after all and there's no reason to by a mutliplat game on weaker hardware for me particularly without trophies. Look, It's a nice concept but now is the time for me to forget about nintendo's future. They have chosen to be different and "Special" in ways that only Nintendo can, the console is not worth the cost when you're just playing Nintendo's own games which is limited at best.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't Nintendo make a statement a few years ago when the Wii was still fresh saying they don't care about trophies and have no future plans to ever add them because they aim for a family market?

I doubt they'll jump on board anytime soon.

Edited by Dr_Shaneman

On 7/5/2018 at 2:52 PM, Lava_Yuki said:

Lack of Trophy support or any kind of similar achievements is the reason I avoid Nintendo altogether. I just feel that it's a waste of time putting time and effort into their games when there's no reward in the end. I much prefer to enjoy games and get the bonus satisfaction of trophies on Sony than put the same effort but get nothing via Nintendo. So I never buy or play Nintendo consoles. 

You are rewarded for having fun, the whole point of games in the first place

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I agree with this. I play games on my Wii U and I have a blast with Mario Kart, Smash Bros and now with Tokyo Mirage. I did this too in the PS2/GameCube era easily. 

the BIG plus about nintendo not having an achievement/trophy system is, there isn't any online trophy grind as well, which means there's no need to buy their online subscription...XD

edit: now nintendo needs to make a new F-ZERO and i'll buy their system 

Edited by JFthebestJan

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

I disagree, as I have as much if not more fun on my PS vita and PS4, with the added benefit of trophies on top of it and also in terms of Nintendo exclusives I liked, it was just Harvest Moon, but that's about it. The rest of the games I like seem to have a Sony and/or Xbox port as well, so I enjoyed Nintendo consoles and ended up hardly using my 3DS and Wii before selling them off eventually

1 minute ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I disagree, as I have as much if not more fun on my PS vita and PS4, with the added benefit of trophies on top of it and also in terms of Nintendo exclusives I liked, it was just Harvest Moon, but that's about it. The rest of the games I like seem to have a Sony and/or Xbox port as well, so I enjoyed Nintendo consoles and ended up hardly using my 3DS and Wii before selling them off eventually

Unless you're getting paid for it, gaming is not a job, you don't need to be rewarded for it. You're supposed to have fun.

On 06/07/2018 at 3:52 AM, Lava_Yuki said:

This is basically why i bought a vita the other week instead of the switch, after getting that taste of trophies/achievements its hard to go back. Even playing games on my ps4 i have to use my main account or else it feels like their is no progression and the game isnt as fun anymore and with trophies it "forces" me to do everything in the game and i like the incentive. 
Stupid i know but thats how it is for me these days, some trophies give you an almost high from it "Is there anything you cant do?" is one of the best things I've ever felt aha

• Like 2

On 6/26/2018 at 0:58 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

God, I'm fucking glad they didn't.

On Switch I've completed my first Lego game in years without being compelled to plat it, I've dumped 30 odd hours into Fortnite for fun with no chivos, I clocked Doom, Zelda, Mario, and countless other games without the compulsive need to go back and "finish" them... I'm finished when I say I'm finished now, none of this "you only beat the story and only have 20% of the trophies, you barely played it" I'll play the damn amount I want, on the damn difficulty I want, the damn way I want, and no stupid achievement list will dictate how good I did. 

I'll get into it more later if I remember, but basically, when the Switch, the last hold out, gets an achievement system, a part of gaming will die, and I'm fucking ECSTATIC that it hasn't yet.

Couldn't have said it better. I skipped out (for now) on getting the MMX Legacy Collection on PS4 because I found that, the way I play, having a trophy system tell me I'm not done with some piddly shit on a game I'm dominating otherwise kind of sucks.

Personally, I like the trophy system on PSN.  One of the reasons I like it so much is that there are four different categories of trophies.  You get bronze, silver and gold trophie depending on the difficulty of the task or how far along you are in the story.  The platinum is rewarded when you get all the lower class trophies of a particular game.  It's an elegant system and I get a sense of satisfaction whenever I plat a game.

Do I think Nintendo should implement an achievement /trophy system?  Sure, once more important online infrastructure is addressed first.  Someone mention crossbuy for their online store is a necessity and I would tend to agree.  Moreover, I think it's ridiculous that you need a cell phone application to engage in vocal communication with fellow Switch owners as opposed to it bring supported natively.  There's also no option as far as I'm aware for backing up game saves.  These issues need to addressed first.

A trophy system is great, but at the end of the day, it's a bonus for the game.  It's a bit of digital fluff to show off with, not a core part of the gaming experience.  Nintendo needs to address setting up essential infrastructure before adding the fluff.

I do wish Nintendo supported some sort of global achievement system because when it works welk it can help foster both competition and the creation of communities online.  This would, I think enrich the experience for Switch owners.

As for achievements themselves, my favorite is PSN.  I actually first dealt with XBox Live and Steam's achievement systems first, but I like PSN's best. 

• Like 2

People forget that some Switch games possibly have in-game achievements. I was playing Fire Emblem Warriors and it has a Badge List. Very Similar to a Tropy list if you ask me. Not every game has one but fee do. For now that is the only I played that has a "Trophy System"

If Dragon Quest Heroes wasn't on PS and was on Nintendo, they have a in-game achievement themselves. So yes thats a possibility. I know, Dragon Quest Heroes is on Switch but its Japanese only. Still the concept is still there. While I was playing DQH i didn't even realize the in game achievements was the platinum list lol

Edited by SyumiSan

An actual account-based achievement system is pretty much the only thing I miss from the Switch, I just think they're fun and add something extra to the game x3 In-game achievement systems are fine but something thay shows on your profile would be better (also minor complaint, not a fan of the kind of in-game achievement system where you talk to a character to get them, and you are only awarded ONE at a time so you have to talk to them over and over...) I've never been the kind of gamer who goes for extra self-imposed challenges just for the challenge itself, achievements makes them "worth it" x3

still not giving up hope

Edited by Zanreo

4 hours ago, LordBilbanes said:

Personally, I like the trophy system on PSN.  One of the reasons I like it so much is that there are four different categories of trophies.  You get bronze, silver and gold trophie depending on the difficulty of the task or how far along you are in the story.  The platinum is rewarded when you get all the lower class trophies of a particular game.  It's an elegant system and I get a sense of satisfaction whenever I plat a game.

Do I think Nintendo should implement an achievement /trophy system?  Sure, once more important online infrastructure is addressed first.  Someone mention crossbuy for their online store is a necessity and I would tend to agree.  Moreover, I think it's ridiculous that you need a cell phone application to engage in vocal communication with fellow Switch owners as opposed to it bring supported natively.  There's also no option as far as I'm aware for backing up game saves.  These issues need to addressed first.

A trophy system is great, but at the end of the day, it's a bonus for the game.  It's a bit of digital fluff to show off with, not a core part of the gaming experience.  Nintendo needs to address setting up essential infrastructure before adding the fluff.

I do wish Nintendo supported some sort of global achievement system because when it works welk it can help foster both competition and the creation of communities online.  This would, I think enrich the experience for Switch owners.

As for achievements themselves, my favorite is PSN.  I actually first dealt with XBox Live and Steam's achievement systems first, but I like PSN's best. 

Perfectly put! Nintendo really needs to overhaul their online system. The whole friend request on 3ds needed to exchange friend codes was ridiculous enough, it felt so parentally protected. Game save back up is one of the biggest benefits of psn for me, especially if your console breaks or something, which isn't uncommon. 

I can't help but see nintendo consoles are more geared towards kids with their gaming library and lack of freedom. I also see mostly children with Nintendo consoles, while most PS4 and Xbox owners tend to be adults

6 hours ago, xM1s3RYJ0k3Rzz said:

This is basically why i bought a vita the other week instead of the switch, after getting that taste of trophies/achievements its hard to go back. Even playing games on my ps4 i have to use my main account or else it feels like their is no progression and the game isnt as fun anymore and with trophies it "forces" me to do everything in the game and i like the incentive. 
Stupid i know but thats how it is for me these days, some trophies give you an almost high from it "Is there anything you cant do?" is one of the best things I've ever felt aha

Same here, very much agree in that trophies give a nice satisfaction. Otherwise it feels like a waste of time, which I feel like when I played Nintendo games in the past, so I got rid of all my Nintendo stuff after Harvest Moon and Rune Factory stopped making games (and their new Little Dragons Cafe is coming to the PS4 anyway, which defeats any reason for me to buy a Nintendo console anymore. I've lost all interest in Pokemon and never played or was into games like Zelda and Mario, so Nintendo has literally nothing to offer game-wise that the PS4 or Vita already can't. Dragon Quest, FF, Persona, Disgaea, KH, Crash, Spyro.... PS has just so much more to offer with trophies on top.    

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I find when you have clocked a game looking at trophies gives you a little or big challenge to get more out of a game a task to get a bit more out of a game and push the game and your skills further.

And it's nice to show something off for doing that task. Also when you look at someones profile and they have hardly any if at all trophies it tells you that gamer's the standard so can be helpful ( no offence ).

Meanwhile Nintendo is pondering Snes & N64 games and pondering a little more about putting Gamecube games on the eshop store.

What fools these days good company's know history is strength and Nintendo has plenty of 1st party outstanding games.

Wheres Xbox and Sony are on the ball i hope playstation picks things up with ps2 games.

Where's xbox is still quite a new company but has some outstanding 1st party games and they have put them on their online store o.g xbox and 360. Meanwhile Nintendo is pondering about its history lol my Wii u has n64 games and snes, gameboy advance and some great wii u exclusive games.

It doesn't take long for people to get sick of waiting they must be tied of playing 8bit nes games. And the price of their games always seem to be 45-55 it's full wack for everything never seems to drop. Ohhhh and limited number of games and withholding stock for demand so people talk and hype the product gets so old it's why i never bothered with switch + price + trophies + to add people you have a numbered friend code + all the extra bits sd card, controls pad, on & on.

Id say Playstation are excelling at the moment ive never known such an huge amount of great overwhelming games and news coming in abundance as these times.

Edited by MidnightOrch3d
  • Like 1

If Nintendo joined with Sony's trophy system I would buy a switch immediately and buy most cross plat games on it. Ninty deserve my money more than arrogant, puritan Sony. Plus there are quite a few games on switch I know i'd like to play on the go. Love my VITA but I'm running out of games.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

It was to be expected. Nintendo never had achievement system why would they start now? The Switch is insanely successful without it. 

I personally prefer it this way, trophies are fun but I wouldn't want to worry about them while playing on the Switch. 

Probably Nintendo need another 5 or 7 years in order to add some kind of "archivement" system. I would like games like Xenobalde has this system, and better if tomorrow Nintendo do some kind of Wii emulator and realese the first xenobalde or the actual 3DS xenoblade with archivement or even better a Gamecube emulator with both Baten Kaitos games and archivements! :awesome: