What is a game with under 5,000 owners that you would recommend to people?

realm722

I haven't read all of the replies, so I'm sure some of these have been mentioned already, but for my money:

11-11: Memories Retold

Forgotton Anne (yes, it's spelled "forgotton")

Icey

Kona

Lost Ember

Return of the Obra Dinn

Reverie

Shalnor Legends: Sacred Lands (if you only get one Link to the Past knockoff, make it Reverie.  Shalnor Legends should be your second choice of the two)

The Adventure Pals

The Last Door

The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince

The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories (wait for a sale, though)

The Sexy Brutale

Timespinner

Truberbrook

Also, special shout out to The Council.  It has over 5,000 users (around 7,000 now) but it's the kind of thing Telltale should have been doing instead of just using their cookie cutter gameplay on various IPs.

• Like 1

Asterix & Obelix XXL 2: a remastered version of a PS2 game. Jump n Run/Brawler mix with parodies of game series (Tomb Raider, Mario and others).

Death end re;Quest: RPG/Visual Novel hybrid with a dark story and turn based encounters.

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom: (In)official sequel to the Wonder Boy series. Metroidvania with 2D Anime graphic and a good soundtrack.

Trine 4 The Nightmare Prince: 2D Jump n Run with 3 characters and physic based puzzles.

Dead or School: Hack n Slash/Metroidvania with RPG elements and fanservice.

• 3 weeks later...

Just went down memory lane going through this post - when I made it I had 15 platinums total. Now up to 108 - and played many of the games listed here due to recommendations by the community. (The Sexy Brutale, Valley, Cosmic Star Heroine) just to name a few. I have a few more I'd like to nominate. 

Mcf243f.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngWizard of Legend (3.5k owners) - This game is on sale right now for $6!!!! A wonderfully fast paced roguelike - it's a ton of fun and while you're likely gonna barely be able to survive past the first 3 levels at the start, the more you play it you'll learn tricks and eventually be able to complete the game as quickly as in under 20 minutes. Fun platinum too!

M9e1c30.png

Risk of Rain 2 (5.2 owners) - Slightly past the 5k mark but highly recommend it! Another roguelike, a 3rd person shooter and MAN IS THIS GAME A BLAST. You can play it co-op with a friend or with any of their members on the discord server that's very welcoming. I had a ton of fun with it - and it's received rave reviews across the board on steam. 

• Like 2

Riddled Corpses EX. This is a top down isometric shooter and though the Platinum requires quite a lot of runs to reach the final boss, the journey there, upgrading as you go was just very fun because I tested myself seeing how far I could go with that certain upgrade.

I know you said under 5000 but just over 5000 I have Donut County. Another fun game which is very simple and easy to Platinum. All you have to do is swallow things up as the hole in the ground gets bigger and bigger. It's somewhat satisfying.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MrFudge said:

-snip-

All of these games can be found on sale for ~£5 too. Jotun is currently £2.99 and Kingdom is £2.39!

Honestly man, I love the way you presented these games. I'm gonna pick up Jotun and Kingdom since they're on sale for ridiculously cheap as you just mentioned! Showing even a brief gif of what the games about does a great job of being able to quickly sell people on it or not. Thanks a ton for these 2 recommendations, hope I enjoy them!

• Like 1

This is a cool thread. Noted down a number of games to get in future from here. For my own offerings... honestly I have many sub 5000 games that I've enjoyed. I'll provide 3 below, of different genres to keep things diverse. 

AI: The Somnium Files (2,472) - I have a lot of VN/Adventure games that could go here and I would recommend them too. Though if I had to recommend something recent that would be a good intro for people who worry they might end up not liking the genre then I think AI fits the bill. It's not a full VN having gameplay to break up the reading which is nice.

The Coma 2: Vicious Sisters (68) - I would list Coma 1 (938) but it got delisted (may return in future apparently though) so unless you're willing to pay big on a limited physical copy (Asia version, which is in English, has a plat while other versions don't by the way) you'd be fine going straight into Coma 2 which is an improvement over 1 in every respect. You shouldn't be lost in the plot by going into 2 from 1 I'd say.

Banner of the Maid (174) - Fire Emblem set during a fantasy version of the French Revolution. There is some text issues (side quest text, before mission text) in a number of places and the little voice acting there is is in Chinese (Chinese game) which may put off some people (I'm used to it via ROTK). 

The Mummy Demastered which is currently half price in the Halloween sale. At the time of me writing this, it only has 2,290 owners.

I'd had my eye on it for a while but never got around to playing it but when I saw it half price in the sale I insta bought it.

It's a Metroidvania and actually a very good one, think Contra crossed with a Metroidvania game. The gameplay is smooth & satisfying the artstyle & sprite work while not the best is still very good. OST is pretty good too. The game is a decent length, you could finish it very quickly if that's your thing or take your time with it like I did over a couple of days.

Most licensed games end up being average at best but this one is definitely a diamond in the rough, I would heavily recommend it to anyone who likes Metroidvania's.

Edited by ObsceneSociopath
  • Like 1

On 18/10/2020 at 7:36 PM, realm722 said:

Honestly man, I love the way you presented these games. I'm gonna pick up Jotun and Kingdom since they're on sale for ridiculously cheap as you just mentioned! Showing even a brief gif of what the games about does a great job of being able to quickly sell people on it or not. Thanks a ton for these 2 recommendations, hope I enjoy them!

I’m extremely happy to hear this! If a little worried that I might’ve wasted your money ?

And seeing your near-100% profile...I want to give you another warning about Jotun’s plat. Get some bubble wrap for your controller lol. 

Please let me know what you think of them, I hope you have a good time!

• Like 2

I will agree with The Mummy Demastered. A good Metroidvania, which is often overlooked.

For now I can recommend Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince. A number of people may prefer the first two Trines but FrozenByte definitely delivered with Trine 4. It's a chill, relaxing game with plenty of British humor instilled into it. Nothing is taken too seriously and you can enjoy the game at a brisk pace. Collectibles aren't too difficult to find, enemies are fairly easy and the graphics are sufficient. Puzzles aren't hard either. If you're looking into a fairly modern platformer/puzzle game, you may enjoy Trine 4.

• Like 2

This was probably already said but my time with Cat Quest is one I would recommend.

Game had this healthy balance for the player in terms of gameplay. Not only was it fun and engaging, but it was simple, quick, and the quality was really well made.

I'm going to also hop in and say Bloodroots. it's hilariously fun and you will totally vibe with it if you liked Hotline Miami's gameplay style.

I also recommend Feather, it's been out for ages on PC and recently released on PS4. The platinum is super short, but the game and OST is beautiful.

Additionally, if you like Visual Novels. Chaos;Child is really intriguing and a tiny bit spooky. (a little gruesome in parts too)