PS4 Pro Can’t Detect CAT6 Ethernet?

TactikalKitty

As the title suggests. Bought a 75ft CAT6 cable to run from my router in living room to my man cave. I ran the cable underneath the house.  I know the cable is fine as it works flawlessly on my Xbox One X. But when connecting it to the PS4 it refuses to acknowlsge it’s even plugged in. Never detects it. Doesn’t detect on my wife’s PS4 slim either. When I check the router, the port doesn’t light up either. So I have tried alternative ports with no luck. Am I missing something? Because CATV works just fine, granted it’s a short cable I tested on but regardless. Does PS4 not work with CAT6?  Walmart doesn’t sell CATv anymore here. 

Edited by kitty_sullivan
Clarifixation

Generally, these cables should be backwards compatible since the old connectors still have the same locations.
I know cat7 works with my PS4 Pro, which would have the same port as the PS4 Slim. I know someone who used a cat6 to transfer data between the regular PS4 and the PS4 pro, so generally support is all there.

It's most likely the length. A quick Google search shows people with the same problem all using pretty lengthy network cables. I don't know why that would be though since you should be able to go up to 100 meters before signal degradation.

Edited by Nuttro93

I have a ps4 pro and I been using a cat6 for almost a year now. I had the same problem as you at first. I just reset my modem and it worked fine. It used to kick me off saying connection not found. Since the latest ps4 update it stopped saying that and now works fine. My cord length is 25 feet. Wish I could help more. Good luck. Could be the cord though I just remembered I bough a 50 foot cat6 from Walmart and it didn’t read my connection so I took it back and bough a 25 foot cord from target and it worked fine. Just had to move my modem a lot closer to room.

Edited by MaritusUltrices
Forgot info
  • Like 1

I was using a 75 foot cord on my ps3

think this guy might be a robot, how did you pass the robot test on Psnprofiles

It could be this guy, sending information to your main frame and bypassing your router with a 56k X2 modem

giphy.gif

Edited by Galactic Hyper Balls

1 hour ago, MaritusUltrices said:

I have a ps4 pro and I been using a cat6 for almost a year now. I had the same problem as you at first. I just reset my modem and it worked fine. It used to kick me off saying connection not found. Since the latest ps4 update it stopped saying that and now works fine. My cord length is 25 feet. Wish I could help more. Good luck. Could be the cord though I just remembered I bough a 50 foot cat6 from Walmart and it didn’t read my connection so I took it back and bough a 25 foot cord from target and it worked fine. Just had to move my modem a lot closer to room.

Hmmm I wonder why 50ft didn’t work. My first thought was the port was bad on the ps4. I took it back to gamestop and they swapped it out for a brand new one, got home and still didn’t detect it. I’m a pc tech so this baffles me why this wouldn’t work.  Only difference it speed throughput. Being the CAT6 is faster than older CATv. Strange

1 hour ago, Galactic Hyper Balls said:

I was using a 75 foot cord on my ps3

think this guy might be a robot, how did you pass the robot test on Psnprofiles

It could be this guy, sending information to your main frame and bypassing your router with a 56k X2 modem

giphy.gif

In an most def not a robot.

I was searching around the internet for a solution for you and found a lot of people have this problem. Some just reset modem/router and it worked for them as it did me. A few others said they manually typed there ip info in and it fixed the issue. Not sure if you tried this yet but maybe a solution?.

4 minutes ago, MaritusUltrices said:

I was searching around the internet for a solution for you and found a lot of people have this problem. Some just reset modem/router and it worked for them as it did me. A few others said they manually typed there ip info in and it fixed the issue. Not sure if you tried this yet but maybe a solution?.

Imma try a static ip and manual setup. Not ideal but it’s worth a shot.

Ok so I have tried 1. Setting up manually, assigning an IP address and adding a reserved IP in the router. That didn’t work. I rebooted the modem, nothing. I factory reset the modem. Nothing. It just keeps telling me to plug in the LAN cable.  The port on the back of the modem doesn’t light up at all either. But if I move the cable to the Xbox or my laptop, it lights up within seconds.  This is very frustrating as I have 600mbps internet.

Edited by kitty_sullivan

I know this sounds baffling but have you tried a different cat6? maybe sony just doesnt like ones that work with microsoft...maybe try it out before you run it underneath the house first.

13 hours ago, HumanError101 said:

You could buy a switch and use that to bridge between the two. This would also allow you to plug other network devices into the switch in your man cave. 

This is exactly what I did. Plugged the CAT6 Into another router, then plugged a cat5 from the PS4 to the router and presto....it works. Really Odd. Now it just keep saying lan cabledisconnected every few minutes

On 6/27/2018 at 10:16 PM, kitty_sullivan said:

This is exactly what I did. Plugged the CAT6 Into another router, then plugged a cat5 from the PS4 to the router and presto....it works. Really Odd. Now it just keep saying lan cabledisconnected every few minutes

Hmm, this does sound like there is an issue with your PS Pro. If you haven't tried this yet, you could power off the PS Pro for a minute, then see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, you could get a Wi-Fi access point, plug that into your cat6 cable, and have your PS Pro connect to it over Wi-Fi.

I fixed it. Using an old router, i was able to plug the cat6 into the router, and a cat5 from the router to the ps4. works like a charm. my buddy said he had the same problem, but bought a Cat7 cable and had zero issues....even with a 150ft spool. so IDK. maybe something about Cat6.