Who else here have Completion Anxiety?

kerck11

Well if you use the search function you will see there are dozens of threads of people who have it :)

But as I say in all those other threads. If you actually have anxiety over this go see a doctor because they can help you with it. If you just mean "I like to complete games" please don't use words like Anxiety or Disorder because that is kind of offensive to people who actually suffer from that. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

But as I say in all those other threads. If you actually have anxiety over this go see a doctor because they can help you with it. If you just mean "I like to complete games" please don't use words like Anxiety or Disorder because that is kind of offensive to people who actually suffer from that. 

People are too sensitive with this.

I have no problem telling others I have anxiety or a disorder, especially since I have had OCD nearly my entire life. It's very minor compared to what others have had including friends I knew in person who had serious ADD and OCD.

Nobody is being offensive here in regards to anxiety or disorder. It's better to speak out about it than try to ignore it.

1 minute ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Except when people say "I have a disorder" so much they actually start to believe it and that can lead to real problems from a not real start. 

There is huge difference between people with legit anxiety problems and compulsive disorders and people who are like "Oh man, I just have to binge watch all the episodes on Netflix...I guess I am OCD that way" 

Words really do matter and it saddens me when I hear people talk or see people post on the Internet and they don't realize that what they are saying actually matters and we should all take a couple of seconds to think before we speak/post. 

So to repeat what I said to the OP and to all the people who post these threads (seriously there is at least 1 every couple of weeks) "If you actually panic that a game isn't completed on your profile and it causes you stress and anxiety...SEE A DOCTOR. If you just like to beat games...DON'T MAKE ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT IT"

Here are a couple of threads basically around the same topic. There are more but these took me less than a minute to find.

Like I said, I've known people in real life with very serious OCD and ADD. They're very common in this generation, but I have absolutely no gripes with people like the guys you pointed out who decided to take a few minutes and write about their situation. Nobody forced them to speak out and I'm not asking anybody to do that.

In the 15 years or so I've been posting on the internet I've offended a lot of people but I've also gotten people to agree. That's the internet. Youtube, Reddit, Twitter, whatever website out there that caters to social media is going to have a lot of different people. And I've dealt with a great deal of them who are overly offensive and racist.

Yes, it's a serious problem, but I think the real problem is people don't seek help. It's like trying to get someone on drug rehab or tell someone to quit smoking and drinking. It's not that easy.

• Like 3

so are we human or computers, the more I type the more of a computer I feel I am.

I use one everyday at work and everyday after work,

do I have a computer problem ?

The playstation is technically a computer too and tv's are computers, oh shit were surrounded by computers

cars are computers too, cell phones are computers too.

a3500333935_16.jpg

15 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Yes it's a serious problem, but I think the real problem is computers

How do you live life everyday? Must you complete everything before you can go to sleep? We are definitely not built completed or perfected. If you were the last person on earth, would you still care about completion? Or is it because you care what others may think see you as that these anxiety spurs.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, damage_6-9 said:

Pretty sure I don't have it.... not with games at least

You have lots of games though. Maybe yours is manifested in collecting.

Or not, but it could mean a lot of things. I once had a goal to beat something like 100 JRPGs and I think I actually did reach that number. My goals might not have been the same as my time here on the hunt, but it probably wasn't all that different in the end. It just transformed.

I can't really say I have a mental disorder over trophies, as I often take frequent breaks from doing any. I do have all online trophies finished on my trophy list currently, so I can't say how I'd feel if I added an unobtainable game to my list. I'd probably be very pissed off by it, but I'd get over it eventually. I personally don't look at someone's profile just to scrutinise unobtainable trophies, someone who has 100 platinums and 500 ultra rare trophies but has added 10 unobtainable games to their list is still better than a profile with 100% completion at 100 platinums with 50 ultra rare trophies, in my opinion. 

I think I might have met the match for "completion anxiety" personally, as in 2015 there was a guy who invaded me on my Facebook profile just because he wanted the XXL Trophy on Fight Night Round 4. People thought I was the main belt hoarder for that game so they harassed me and harassed my friends over that game, which resulted in them adding me on Facebook and looking at comments on my profile pictures to ask people who commented to tell me to help them with the belts. While I was lucky that all the people who comment on my stuff are gamers who don't really care what people think, anyone else could have had their workplace buddies commenting on their photos and so on, which would affect someone's personal life if those people were making fun of them over things that some completionist on PSN is bitching about. 

The main guy who wanted the XXL trophy also frequently told me that he would kill himself if he never got the trophy, but of course I wasn't taking it seriously and rather thought "if they're saying that about something so minor, something else would have come in their life to end it for them anyway", while that might be considered a cold response by some people, I couldn't care less after he never knew what boundaries were and didn't fuck off. He also did more absurd crap like offering to send me nudes of himself to get what he wanted. 

What I have cringed at recently on this website is things like "suggest games for me to play, but keep in mind that I'm a completionist so I don't want the games to be that difficult". I might also be considered a completionist by plenty of people, however I've never looked at a game and saw trophy hunters opinions of it and thought "that's going to be too hard for me". If you're a completionist, you need to take some risks to keep it interesting, doing the same easy crap everyday isn't a good way to maintain your profile. 

On 6/28/2018 at 0:59 AM, SoberNSane said:

Its the nature of the beast. It goes with the territory. Video games are known to increase anxiety levels. The fact that you see it and admit it - is the first step to change. So Congratulations!

Anxiety can wreck your life if you aren’t paying attention. I would say to keep watching yourself when you notice that stress. Try to ask yourself why? You want to work against it when you see it or else you will suffer more and more without realizing it if it continues. Its a subconscious thing that you have to catch yourself in and then make the decision to not care. 

You would think that caring is a good thing - and it can be. But when you care too much you get out of balance. I spent most of my life caring too much / being too responsible and it eventually caught up with my health. I had to start making an effort to say “I don’t care”. Ouch. It kinda goes against every fiber of my being. I DON’T CARE! Its really not who I am. But I’m learning. I’m doing it with gaming/trophies too (and it shows). 

Because YOU are SO much more important than your profile or anything else that drives you. Listen to what your body is feeling when you’re being anxious. Its not comfortable. Pursue health and well being over appearances and perfection. Take a deep breath. RELAX. For many, that is easier said than done. 

I think it gets easier with time but you have to keep reminding yourself. Don’t ever make light of it even though we as gamers tend to do so. 

I can't relax and say to myself "stop", not unless if I think that what I was doing  is complete then I would tell myself to stop. 

And the fact that I miss the excitement/rush I felt back when I was a kid. The nonstop action day in day out

I'm not ashamed that I have anxiety, I don't want to disappoint people or in general "lose"

19 minutes ago, MIKEY-L-666 said:

I think with me its a bad mix of OCD and ADHD.  Everything has to be perfect!  But not for very long....

Ha I feel the same. One minute I need to get 100% then the next minute I am half-assing games and moving on to other games.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DrHambone said:

Ha I feel the same. One minute I need to get 100% then the next minute I am half-assing games and moving on to other games.

ARRRRGH I tell yer!  I say to myself every month NO MORE buying any new games for a good while now.  Ooooooh look a sale, oh another one..... 10 - 20 new games..... Well the thought was there lol

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 0:29 PM, alired7 said:

Have had this issue ever since I got into trophy hunting,trying to get over it but it's hard lol just can't see incomplete games in trophy stats it's like a OCD.

Me too, I'm planning on completing my list after the release of spiderman then I'm out for 4 months and wait for resident evil 2 remake

I tried to quit last year but had to go back because of monster hunter world

@kerck11

I've taken a look at your trophy list and see that you have a rather high completion rate. Rather than suffering from "completion anxiety" perhaps it would be more accurate to call it "incompletion anxiety". It is the games that you have not completed that cause you anxiety.

In fact, this is called the "Zeigarnik effect". 

Quoting Will Joel Friedman, Ph.D.:

"Psychological research on incompletion dates at least from the late 1920's when the Russian psychologist Bluma Zeigarnik gave 138 children simple tasks to do, like puzzles and arithmetic. She interrupted one-half in mid-task and allowed the other half to complete the tasks. One hour later only about one in ten (12%) recalled the completed tasks, while 8% remembered the same number of each. However, a whopping 80% remembered the interrupted tasks! Repeated experiments confirmed that individuals of all ages tend to remember uncompleted tasks far better than completed ones."

And further:

"The Zeigarnik effect impacts your life and can be observed every day. The stress of daily hassles and frustrations often stem from incomplete tasks. Ambivalence and procrastination can often be traced to the same source: the lawns bugging you to get mowed; the dishes screaming to be washed; the bills pushing you to get paid. How burdensome is the mental and emotional energy they consume, and how they rob us of the present."

And in summation:

"Notice what is incomplete, unfinished or unresolved in your life, and write it down to make it more concrete and real for you. You might even assign an emotional or energy weight to each item in terms of pounds. It is amazing how many hundreds of extra emotional pounds we are carrying around all the time! How wonderfully liberating it is to consciously choose to lose this excess baggage, and travel lighter.

In honestly facing any substantial issue in your personality, relation- ships, work or personal lives, you can consider yourself quite fortunate if you finish or complete 80% to 90%. I don't know anyone who ever gets to 100% on the perpetual issues in their lives. Do you? Now, can you ease up on yourself?;)

• Like 3