Who else here have Completion Anxiety?

kerck11

18 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

@kerck11

I've taken a look at your trophy list and see that you have a rather high completion rate. Rather than suffering from "completion anxiety" perhaps it would be more accurate to call it "incompletion anxiety". It is the games that you have not completed that cause you anxiety.

In fact, this is called the "Zeigarnik effect". 

Quoting Will Joel Friedman, Ph.D.:

"Psychological research on incompletion dates at least from the late 1920's when the Russian psychologist Bluma Zeigarnik gave 138 children simple tasks to do, like puzzles and arithmetic. She interrupted one-half in mid-task and allowed the other half to complete the tasks. One hour later only about one in ten (12%) recalled the completed tasks, while 8% remembered the same number of each. However, a whopping 80% remembered the interrupted tasks! Repeated experiments confirmed that individuals of all ages tend to remember uncompleted tasks far better than completed ones."

And further:

"The Zeigarnik effect impacts your life and can be observed every day. The stress of daily hassles and frustrations often stem from incomplete tasks. Ambivalence and procrastination can often be traced to the same source: the lawns bugging you to get mowed; the dishes screaming to be washed; the bills pushing you to get paid. How burdensome is the mental and emotional energy they consume, and how they rob us of the present."

And in summation:

"Notice what is incomplete, unfinished or unresolved in your life, and write it down to make it more concrete and real for you. You might even assign an emotional or energy weight to each item in terms of pounds. It is amazing how many hundreds of extra emotional pounds we are carrying around all the time! How wonderfully liberating it is to consciously choose to lose this excess baggage, and travel lighter.

In honestly facing any substantial issue in your personality, relation- ships, work or personal lives, you can consider yourself quite fortunate if you finish or complete 80% to 90%. I don't know anyone who ever gets to 100% on the perpetual issues in their lives. Do you? Now, can you ease up on yourself?;)

Well that explains why i do things the way i do them... interesting. Thanks for the read, didnt know about this either.

On 7/1/2018 at 6:54 PM, PsychicVibe said:

@kerck11

I've taken a look at your trophy list and see that you have a rather high completion rate. Rather than suffering from "completion anxiety" perhaps it would be more accurate to call it "incompletion anxiety". It is the games that you have not completed that cause you anxiety.

In fact, this is called the "Zeigarnik effect". 

Quoting Will Joel Friedman, Ph.D.:

"Psychological research on incompletion dates at least from the late 1920's when the Russian psychologist Bluma Zeigarnik gave 138 children simple tasks to do, like puzzles and arithmetic. She interrupted one-half in mid-task and allowed the other half to complete the tasks. One hour later only about one in ten (12%) recalled the completed tasks, while 8% remembered the same number of each. However, a whopping 80% remembered the interrupted tasks! Repeated experiments confirmed that individuals of all ages tend to remember uncompleted tasks far better than completed ones."

And further:

"The Zeigarnik effect impacts your life and can be observed every day. The stress of daily hassles and frustrations often stem from incomplete tasks. Ambivalence and procrastination can often be traced to the same source: the lawns bugging you to get mowed; the dishes screaming to be washed; the bills pushing you to get paid. How burdensome is the mental and emotional energy they consume, and how they rob us of the present."

And in summation:

"Notice what is incomplete, unfinished or unresolved in your life, and write it down to make it more concrete and real for you. You might even assign an emotional or energy weight to each item in terms of pounds. It is amazing how many hundreds of extra emotional pounds we are carrying around all the time! How wonderfully liberating it is to consciously choose to lose this excess baggage, and travel lighter.

In honestly facing any substantial issue in your personality, relation- ships, work or personal lives, you can consider yourself quite fortunate if you finish or complete 80% to 90%. I don't know anyone who ever gets to 100% on the perpetual issues in their lives. Do you? Now, can you ease up on yourself?;)

I'm not going to complete it just yet. I haven't got all the games I'm going to play.

I'll finish this year with a bang and complete my "masterpiece" well excpet minecraft though not gonna complete that shitty game, if I can delete games on my trophy list it would be minecraft

20 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Well that explains why i do things the way i do them... interesting. Thanks for the read, didnt know about this either.

And thanks for the info about it. You're right its those incomplete games that makes me feel uncomfortable

I don't. I like to get trophies and hunt platinums in games that I enjoy, are of reasonable duration (<150 hours)/ difficulty (usually 7/10 or less). But I don't get bothered if I don't get the platinum in a long or difficult one like Disgaea 4 or Yakuza, were I'd just play the story and leave it at that. I have a few games I did not plat like Hatsune Miku and Sherlock Holmes as I did not like the games so ended up trading them in after a few hours of play, not even completing the story. 

But in life in general, I am quite laid back and usually just do the bare minimum plus/minus a few extras if it helps in any way and if I have time, but usually I don't bother if something is not necessary or if I don't get anything out of it. For games, I would not do anything that is not required for the trophies. (e.g. if a game says complete 80% of the item catalog, I'll get to just 80% and won't bother with the last 20%). Same with mini games, if there's no trophy I ignore them. 

I'm only completionist in games I really like, such as FF games and Tales where I feel a compulsion to get the platinum which I for some reason don't have with any other series. It's just these two series that I can get quite OCD about in terms of trophies 

I definitely have serious issues with perfectionism, in games and in life. If I have to leave something unfinished, or can't execute the task competently enough to be satisfied, I can become quite upset. It even negatively affects my sleep quality that night. It's a problem I should work on (among many things).

Edited by ScarecrowsFate

On 7/5/2018 at 11:07 PM, ScarecrowsFate said:

I definitely have serious issues with perfectionism, in games and in life. If I have to leave something unfinished, or can't execute the task competently enough to be satisfied, I can become quite upset. It even negatively affects my sleep quality that night. It's a problem I should work on (among many things).

Me too

If I messed up the dish am going to send I would take it back even if they say that it was alright