Camillia Luddington to stop portraying Lara Croft?

ddracarys

During a recent interview with Variety, Camillia Luddington spoke out on being unsure about returning to the series after Shadow of the Tomb Raider (which releases on September 14th, 2018). Shadow of the Tomb Raider will mark the third and final game for the origin story of the reboot series, meaning the installment which follows will likely be a very different game, possibly even skipping ahead a couple years in Lara Croft's life. When asked if she would like to portray Lara again after the trilogy ends, Camillia replied, "That’s a hard question. There is a part of me that, with the way the trilogy ends, can imagine sitting back and being so proud, and I could feel my work is done with her". This, of course, wouldn't be the first time the role of Lara Croft has changed. Camillia Luddington is the sixth actress to take the mantle in portraying the popular video game icon, originally a role which starred Shelley Blond (1996). Following Shelley's leave, Judith Gibbins took on Lara for two years (1997 to 1998), Jonell Elliott for four years (1999 to 2003), Charlotte Sparey for a single year (2006), Keeley Hawes for four years (2006 to 2010), concluding with Camillia Luddington (2013 to present). This isn't even counting the amount of times Lara Croft's model has changed, or the amount of Lara variations that exist outside of the video games.

As a veteran of the series, it would upset me seeing Camillia go. The Tomb Raider series has been with me all my life, and I've already had to experience five amazing women leave the role of one of my favourite video game characters. It's safe to say that the Tomb Raider series has been through enough shifting around, I can't even imagine anybody else handling modern Lara as energetic and tasteful as Camillia. Though this article does not confirm her leave, Camillia does seem satisfied with the idea, so at least she would be leaving on a good note, for that I am happy. I wouldn't want her to go, but it is admirable to see how fulfilled she is with her adaptation of Lara, especially considering she is the longest lasting actress in the series (2018 marks her fifth year as Lara). How do you feel about this change, does Camillia potentially leaving the series affect you at all? And do you have any ideas about who could be our next Lara Croft?

Edited by ddracarys

7 minutes ago, weavsxx said:

Good. Now we can go back to Lara's original design.

Camillia's role or lack thereof as Lara Croft didn't and won't change because of her leave. I also doubt Square Enix would make any dramatic changes to Lara, even after Shadow of the Tomb Raider, as the reboot series has quickly become hugely successful. Therefore, I wouldn't expect any major model changes within Lara, even after Camilla's time.

• Like 1

Well, she probably had a contract for the trilogy so it maybe (almost) expired. It also could be a negotiation technique, I don't know. I personally never really cared about changes in voice actors in games or otherwise, I mostly don't even notice because most protagonists have this same generic voice, lol. And most voice actors have enough talent to imitate the voice of their predecessor pretty well. Some don't even seem to want (be allowed) to put their own spin on it.

I kind of wish there was a supervising lead for the TR games, on a creative basis. Instead, it the sequel went from one director/writer to another, and now a different studio altogether where marketing says 'she will finally become the Tomb Raider'. We're already reaching a third game in this current incarnation. How is she not yet the Tomb Raider? The other jarring bit were her design changes. It's hard to break and re-invest in emotional attachment after going through so much with Lara on Yamatai (Definitive Edition), only to be met by a stranger in Rise.

I dunno. TR2013 was excellent, but since Rise, Square Enix has displayed a lack of self-awareness for how they're handling this.

Edited by Eraezr

11 minutes ago, Deluziion90 said:

You mean pixelmode + triangle oversized boobs? cause that wasn't my first choise 1f602.png

07e50804a7d85e4a4f3e537b92340acbd3555504

At least this one had a personality. New Lara is about as one dimensional as it gets and Camilla is arguably my least favourite VA for her so far too. Bring back Keeley Hawes, she was a perfect fit.

• Like 2

I am very happy with this news and I hope it will come true, as a veteran tomb raider fan since 1996..

This is a chance to have Lara's original design again and to find someone who doesnt have as pathetic and woeful voice as Luddington.. 

Judith Gibbins and Keeley Hawes were good back in time

Edited by Darpiom

I think Camilla has some sexiness in her voice, that makes me love this new Lara Croft. But, I still find Rise of the Tomb Raider's story lacking compared with the original reboot's. Not as ugly as Mirror's Edge Catalyst's, though, which I never cared. Well, that's just me. ?

It seems like this potential change is only bothering me so far, so on the bright side, at least all of you will be happy with a new actress. I understand that Camillia Luddington's take on Lara Croft can occasionally spike as being annoying, however I rarely notice this while I'm in the heat of the moment in-game, so it never stood out for me until others mentioned it. Furthermore, I know voice actors are talented enough to pull off voices comparable to their predecessors, I just doubt any other woman can maintain Camillia's energy in the role. This was a similar annoyance I experienced while playing Life is Strange: Before the Storm, after playing Life is Strange. Chloe Price being voiced by two different actresses took a massive blow to Chloe's charm and charismatics between both games, at least in my opinion.

Finally, I don't understand those who are hoping Camillia's leave would spark some change in Lara that would return her to her original model. Though it's possible Lara's original models would return in the form of outfits, similar to how they were presented in Rise of the Tomb Raider, I highly doubt Lara would be "returning" to anything. We are currently five years into the reboot series. By now, in its previous series, Tomb Raider was already falling short with the latest installment at the time, Tomb Raider: Legend. Therefore, this reboot series has been the most successful attempt at reimagining the series, opinions aside. Knowing that, I doubt Square Enix would want to risk the reboot series' success by "returning" to a less successful time in the series.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zizimonster said:

I think Camilla has some sexiness in her voice, that makes me love this new Lara Croft. But, I still find Rise of the Tomb Raider's story lacking compared with the original reboot's. Not as ugly as Mirror's Edge Catalyst's, though, which I never cared. Well, that's just me. 1f601.png

I don't think the story has anything to do with the actor.

• Like 1

I like Camilla but I’d be alright with a change. Maybe it’s because I grew up on Judith and Keeley’s Laras but I just prefer the more mature voices and character, and I think I could only really associate hers with a very young Lara. I wasn’t really expecting Camilla to remain/want to remain in the role after this to be honest. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Charizarzar said:

I wasn’t really expecting Camilla to remain/want to remain in the role after this to be honest. 

Really? On the contrary, I wasn't expecting Camilla to be leaving so soon, since as I mentioned, the reboot series has been the most successful step for Tomb Raider thus far. I'm not even sure who would be suitable enough to take the mantle next honestly.

Edited by ddracarys

26 minutes ago, ddracarys said:

Really? On the contrary, I wasn't expecting Camilla to be leaving so soon, since as I mentioned, the reboot series has been the most successful step for Tomb Raider thus far. I'm not even sure who would be suitable enough to take the mantle next honestly.

I think where this series excels is the gameplay, so there’s no reason why they can’t mature her character and keep the elements of this series that make it so successful. What I mean is that I don’t think the games would tank in popularity if she became a bit more confident and lighthearted. That’s the main thing I’ve felt has been noticeably missing. Not necessarily Camilla’s fault though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Charizarzar said:

I think where this series excels is the gameplay, so there’s no reason why they can’t mature her character and keep the elements of this series that make it so successful. What I mean is that I don’t think the games would tank in popularity if she became a bit more confident and lighthearted. That’s the main thing I’ve felt has been noticeably missing. Not necessarily Camilla’s fault though.

Ah yes, since you've explained it, I agree with you. Especially since the next game which follows is supposed to be a big change from Shadow of the Tomb Raider, so Lara Croft maturing is expected. Now that I think about it, perhaps if the next game skips a few years ahead, Camillia Luddington's energy for Lara wouldn't suit the role of a more older, mature (tired?) Lara.

Edited by ddracarys
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PooPooBlast said:

aef50301d056b522f7d092eb9dbfcc25.jpg

I respect your opinion. 1f62c.png

Well, I meant Mirror's Edge Catalyst is a very enjoyable game, but I never cared about the story. I'm a fan of the original myself. ?

12 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

I don't think the story has anything to do with the actor.

Whoops, I commented on two different things above. ?

• Like 1