Will Gex the Gecko ever return?

SamS7398

Growing up, I played a lot of Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko (which still remains as one of my favorite games) as a kid, and now years on, I'd love to see a rekindle in this franchise. Whether that may be a remake of Deep Cover Gecko, or a new game entirely. I understand Square Enix is willing to hand over the franchise to a different company, if they so wish to make a new entry with the Gecko, but will he every return? With Crash making a huge success in the platforming remake (They call it remaster), I think it would be good for Gex to return. What's everyone's thoughts on a return of Gex?

I love this franchise and I'd definitely would be interested in a remaster/remake... I played Enter the Gecko in my old PS1 back in the nineties, and it was the closest game to Mario 64 that I could find available to the PS1 at that time. Some years ago I had the chance to play Deep Cover Gecko in my Vita and I equally enjoyed.

I'd love to see it! I don't think it'll happen, but it would be nice to see. I also would love Klonoa and Tomba to come back to PlayStation consoles or at least Klonoa 2 to come as a PS2 to PS4 game. At least we can still play the originals as PS1 classics on the PS3... 

15 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

I used to love old cartoons when i was a kid like Thunder Cats for example

watch it now and its just absolutely horrible

some things should just stay dead in my opinion

what was “good” along time ago doesnt mean the same thing by todays standards

I agree... If they only port the game as it currently is to the PS4 then I think it won't be very well received because it didn't age well. They would need to remake the whole thing to adapt and update graphics and gameplay (just like it was done with the Crash trilogy recently released).

Edited by tnaires

I love Gex a lot, but honestly, I think Gex was a very 90's concept that wouldn't work well if you brought him back. The whole idea behind him was having Dana Gould write and voice him with snarky tv pop culture jokes. The series atmosphere was completely built around that concept and I'm not sure what the best way to bring him into modern games would be. So much of that joke material is incredibly dated and doing a faithful remake like Crash and Spyro would not go over well with the new young audience. You could either go full on 90's nostalgia in the way a lot of 80's themed media does right now, or you could just have "modern" Gex where he just adapts to current stand up comedy humor with more pop culture jokes. 

I can see why Square's attempt at bringing him back didn't produce anything. No matter what they choose to do, you're going to have people unhappy with the way they take him going forward. 3D platformers just have not been popular the past few gens outside of Mario and the very recent Playstation remakes. Crash and Spyro are far more timeless characters and they were just more popular in general. Gex really doesn't have the pull that the other mascots have in the first place, so it's a much harder sell.

• Like 2