Hemiak

KYC 777

504 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, dmland12 said:

Game #4: Jotun

L4ee95d.png

Trophies: 34/37 (82%)

Completion: 94.44% (-0.13%, -1.84% from start)

Jotun is a game I first heard about last year in a previous version of this event.  It looked interesting and challenging, so I picked it up on sale and then left it in my backlog for months.  I'm glad I finally gave it a chance, as overall I did enjoy it.  The game's got an interesting art style to it and I liked the challenge.

Your post made me go from not interested in the game to immediately putting it very high on my wish list. I just bought Banner Saga 1, which (as you know since you've been in that thread of mine) was appealing to me for the story, including the setting, the graphics and the music, and Jotun seems great on the latter two (also having hand drawn graphics), has a kind of similar setting on first glance and looks to be decent overall.

I see it's been released on the Switch too, I might get it there if there's a sale soon.

Anyway thanks for making your post in a way that made me look up the game!

3 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I'm about an hour into South Park: The Fractured but whole, and so far I think it is a much better game than Stick of Truth. The waiting times and the lag really hurt my thoughts on the first game, but I can already tell that this one is a little more polished. I'm not sure if I like the grid combat more or not, but I guess I'll find out once I get a better understanding of the combat system. I'm hoping to put in a few hours this weekend and get a full review in on Sunday.

I thought the fantasy setting of SOT was cooler than the superhero setting of FBH (heh) but otherwise I feel like Fractured is the superior game in every way.

Just now, Ezio Auditore da Fir said:

Your post made me go from not interested in the game to immediately putting it very high on my wish list. I just bought Banner Saga 1, which (as you know since you've been in that thread of mine) was appealing to me for the story, including the setting, the graphics and the music, and Jotun seems great on the latter two (also having hand drawn graphics), has a kind of similar setting on first glance and looks to be decent overall.

I see it's been released on the Switch too, I might get it there if there's a sale soon.

Anyway thanks for making your post in a way that made me look up the game!

Cool.  I hope you like Banner Saga.  Jotun didn't really remind me of it, but I guess they do have similar art styles.  Very different gameplay though.

8 minutes ago, dmland12 said:

Cool.  I hope you like Banner Saga.  Jotun didn't really remind me of it, but I guess they do have similar art styles.  Very different gameplay though.

Indeed, but then the gameplay of Jotun seems much more like something I would normally play :)

@DamagingRob Who is your main characters on Tekken 7? I always love to hear who people play as and why.

I have yet to play against @PooPooBlast, but I heard s/he's legit. We're friends on PSN (like you), but I have yet to find the time to battle. Sounds like I need to get some practice rounds in before trying to pick a fight! xD

17 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Also, after these reviews I'm really interested in Jotun and Sundered. Especially the latter, as the review reminded me a lot of Rogue Legacy, which I've loved despite the enormous difficulty of the plat. Are they available for the PSVita?

Both games are only available on PS4 (and PC, Switch, X1). And honestly I don't think that the Vita could handle of both. Especially Sundered would be a nightmare as the bosses are quite large. I only played against the first real boss but just check this video:

Spoiler

This on the Vita's screen would be quite troublesome.

21 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Turns out I finally managed to get my PC to boot one final time to spend an hour or two catching up with the reviews I've missed as well as finally write my review for MotorStorm RC. I thought I would end up having to postpone it because writing a detailed review on anything besides a physical hardware keyboard is torture. I was finally able to get a replacement HDD for my PC since I was able to extend my internship and was paid upfront, so I'll finally be able to enjoy my PC again without having to start on a fresh Windows install every week due to too many corrupted system files... Since I am extending my internship for another week, I will have less time for gaming than expected, so let's hope I can free up enough time to give the longer games a fair chance.

Good to see that you were able to afford a replacement. And doing a fresh Windows installation sounds so 90s-style. Only had to do this when running Windows 98 or Windows ME.

25 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

I feel you man, I'm in the same situation just that I'm not fortunate enough to have a backup console. Now I'm down to digital games for the time being.

Compared to your situation it's surely only a typical #FirstWorldProblem for me. It's just a bit annoying as I actually prefered to use the Slim for disc-based games as it less noisy than the Super Slim.

@Ezio Auditore da Fir Reading your review, it seems I wasn't misremembering the voice acting.

1 hour ago, ImBossy83 said:

In this case it's quite easy I was too young when it originally released. And also i'm a giant chicken.

Honestly sounds like me, except I was actually old enough when it released. I'd watch my cousin play it a lot, but never wanted to myself. :/ 

50 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Who is your main characters on Tekken 7? I always love to hear who people play as and why.

Mainly play as Asuka. Don't really have any particular reason, other than I latched on to her in SFxT and have gotten decent at performing her moves. Though my one win against Poopooblast came when I tried someone else, so maybe I'm not so great with her. :lol:

He has played close to 100 hours, so naturally he's going to have developed better skills. Good luck if you go up against him; you'll likely need it. xD

28 minutes ago, DamagingRob said:

@Ezio Auditore da Fir Reading your review, it seems I wasn't misremembering the voice acting.

Honestly sounds like me, except I was actually old enough when it released. I'd watch my cousin play it a lot, but never wanted to myself. :/ 

Mainly play as Asuka. Don't really have any particular reason, other than I latched on to her in SFxT and have gotten decent at performing her moves. Though my one win against Poopooblast came when I tried someone else, so maybe I'm not so great with her. :lol:

He has played close to 100 hours, so naturally he's going to have developed better skills. Good luck if you go up against him; you'll likely need it. xD

Well, I think being unpredictable and knowing launch moves and combos are key to success. I used to use Asuka but found that I was really just a one trick pony and got destroyed in online mode. Haha. It's also why I like to play against Kazuya players because their whole strategy revolves around the demon wheel kick which is predictable af.

I'm sorry to report that I am dropping out of this event. Kind of ironically, it's because my kid really, really killed my completion. She sampled about 30 games from PSnow on my profile. I had a huge back log of stuff on my profile already and this was just so much more and it was stuff I am not into and I'd have to maintain a subscription to PSnow to clean it up. It just wasn't worth it to me. I'm killing off the Toogie53 profile and starting a new one. I almost met my KYC commitment. I did four plus a bonus game with no trophies and I only promised you all five games. The one I didn't get around to yet was Shadow of War. I was waiting until July 17th to start it up because I'm opposed to non-cosmetic lootboxes and that's when this publisher is taking them out. I look forward to killing my completion in a controlled manner on my new kid-free profile in the future ! Best of luck to everyone. :D

Just now, Toogie53 said:

I'm sorry to report that I am dropping out of this event. Kind of ironically, it's because my kid really, really killed my completion. She sampled about 30 games from PSnow on my profile. I had a huge back log of stuff on my profile already and this was just so much more and it was stuff I am not into and I'd have to maintain a subscription to PSnow to clean it up. It just wasn't worth it to me. I'm killing off the Toogie53 profile and starting a new one. I almost met my KYC commitment. I did four plus a bonus game with no trophies and I only promised you all five games. The one I didn't get around to yet was Shadow of War. I was waiting until July 17th to start it up because I'm opposed to non-cosmetic lootboxes and that's when this publisher is taking them out. I look forward to killing my completion in a controlled manner on my new kid-free profile in the future ! Best of luck to everyone. :D

Ouch, that really sucks!

You're probably already looking stuff like this up, but be sure to set a passcode for your new profile on PS4: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/46250/ps4-how-to-set-up-a-local-passcode-for-a-user-profile/  I use one.  It's easy to set up and after you get used to logging in with it, you just do it without really thinking about it.

You can also lock down your PS3 if needed although this sounds more annoying than just setting up a passcode: https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/82639/how-to-password-protect-my-ps3-console

15 minutes ago, dmland12 said:

Ouch, that really sucks!

You're probably already looking stuff like this up, but be sure to set a passcode for your new profile on PS4: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/46250/ps4-how-to-set-up-a-local-passcode-for-a-user-profile/  I use one.  It's easy to set up and after you get used to logging in with it, you just do it without really thinking about it.

You can also lock down your PS3 if needed although this sounds more annoying than just setting up a passcode: https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/82639/how-to-password-protect-my-ps3-console

I use passcodes for both my PS4 and my Switch. Silly that PS3 doesn't have it exactly, but I've disabled automatic login and I've put on parental control. Point being, nobody plays on my consoles without my knowledge. Good against kids, good against robbers. Let 'em factory reset the thing, they're not playing any games I bought.

@Toogie53 of course, you can just continue the event with you new account...

@dmland12 Thanks for the tips. I already knew how to lock things down. i just hadn't. Toogie53 was the main account for the family. Its where all the digital games are. We have multiple PS4s so they often need to change which console is primary etc. I wans't locking it down because its annoying and inconvenient. I left the door open for this though. The new account has a controller passcode thing so the kids can't log in. I don't have any need to keep it open to them since the main profile is still Toogie53. 

@Ezio Auditore da Fir I can still review Shadow of War, but the point of this was to kill the completion average and I've hidden my trophies. That's why I consider myself as dropping out. After I have a bit of history on the new profile, I'll come back again. I did like the excuse to try out some new games I've just been holding onto. 

2 hours ago, Metal Slime King said:

Game #3 - Type:Rider (:gold:)

I swapped out Claire because I'm getting really close 100 platinums and I was hoping to save that for Destiny, not just some random filler PS+ plat so I went with a game I didn't know anything about (besides not having a plat) called Type:Rider that I picked from the current PSN sale, recently recommended to me by @Dr_Mayus. What I found was an artsy, unique physics platforming game with some puzzle elements. You play as 2/3rds of an ellipsis or maybe a rogue umlaut, either way your character is two dots held together by some unknown force. You can move, jump and spin counter / clockwise which alters your momentum. Fortunately you don't have to spin too much because I found that mechanic a little awkward. You can tolerate having stuff between your dots but if the dots are separated too far or if one of them is stabbed, squished or shot then you die. Death is pretty painless though as automatic save points are pretty forgiving. The only exception being the one level you have to ace for a trophy which isn't too bad. Your objective is to collect information on typographic history which is to say the history of how the written word has been displayed, published and propagated. This is done by collecting the alphabet in various iconic fonts and asterisks, which represent a text which when collected will be added to your history books. Each level represents a different era in typographic history and consists of two short platforming segments which are both punctuated by a short puzzle segment which typically evoke some device employed in publishing during that levels period.

I had a lot of fun with this short game, I completed 100% on both PS4 and Vita over the last couple of days. The graphics and music were both quite nice. Clean vector art mixed with background assets in an abstract collage worked with the music to give each level a real sense of the period they were for. The controls were decent, the levels were fun and the puzzles were interesting if not taxing. There is also an optional (no trophies) speed run mode that actually isn't just going through the original levels but which contains all new levels done in each of the original level's themes. These are also substantially more difficult than anything else in the main game. If you love surprise spikes and fidgety physics then be sure to check it out. I did have a couple of issues with the game. The secret level was a little annoying (that dang cat!) and the only level I muted on my second playthrough. For the importance of the texts in this game (a game about the history of text) and having a trophy specifically for you reading (or at least opening) them all then you would think the devs would have read the texts and then read them again but I still noticed numerous grammatical errors throughout. There was a consistent, well known issue with collection trophies not popping correctly and you had to replay an old level and collect something before they would pop. Not a huge technical issue to work around but stands out as poor coding or testing. When going for the no death trophy in one level it was annoying that there was no apparent way to exit the level or completely restart it. Minor quibbles aside I'd still strongly recommend picking it up on sale for a couple of bucks sometime. It's pretty short so I don't know if it would be worth picking up full price but I think it goes on sale quite frequently (like right now, in NA) and even full price it's only a couple of bucks.

Wait a minute. I recommended Typoman. You had me all confused at first because I was like "I've never heard of that game"