3 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore da Fir said:

Game #3: Rayman 3 HD

First day
Total playtime: about two hours

Ld153ca.png

I probably would have enjoyed this game much more if I had played it when it was new.

Rayman 3 is a fairly decent 3D platformer which suffers from many of the awkward goofs of all the other early 3D platformers. It's not bad, but it's definitely not aging that well.

Not much to say at this point except going back to 2D for Origins/Legends was probably a great idea, as it manages to give Origins/Legends much more speed and fun than this game has.

3D Rayman games are just not that great. First Rayman game had way more speed too, even before you learn running. Only thing they nailed with the new games was the speed of the first game, even if the first game was both slow and speed. Bigger levels to explore,more to discover and really way more varied level design, in the first game that is.

Never been a fan of Rayman 3, but it had some nice cutscenes you could unlock, that I thought was funny when I first played the game.

One of my most favorite platformer games ever! :) 

@MMDE the first Rayman was cool, but I think Rayman Legends is where the series really gets amazing and able to tower over other games. I've played through that one on PS4 twice already, I'm going for the 100% at this point and I've also started playing it on the Switch.

@DamagingRob that's funny ? I remember putting those up, I've put a few in funny places and with weird lines, like that one. You unlock more lines as you progress. I remember playing it and regretting that I didn't have more PSN friends who had played it already, only one person on my feed had it so I only saw the one or two tags he had done.

P.S. scan those QR codes with your phone, and you'll see they actually contain that text.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore da Fir said:

@MMDE the first Rayman was cool, but I think Rayman Legends is where the series really gets amazing and able to tower over other games. I've played through that one on PS4 twice already, I'm going for the 100% at this point and I've also started playing it on the Switch.

Yeah, already did Rayman Origins on PS3, and Rayman Legends 100% on PS3 and PS4. :P They're a bit too easy, a bit too focused on just rushing through the levels, the levels are too alike, the level design is kinda awful for anything other than speedrun, the secrets are not secret at all, the collectibles is a chore (too boring), the music is not as good, surprisingly just as polished. Really, all good I can say about Rayman Legends compared to Rayman 1 is that Rayman Legends is that I liked to speedrun the levels, but that's about it. So eh, nah, they don't tower over the first game whatsoever. Not sure why you even say that. Rayman Origins and Legends is a rehash, which IMO failed at living up to the original, not capturing anything of what made the first so great, but they were a fun play regardless. They are definitely better than the 3D games, that's for sure. My favorite 3D Rayman would be "M/Rush/Arena".

Edited by MMDE

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

Yeah, already did Rayman Origins on PS3, and Rayman Legends 100% on PS3 and PS4. :P They're a bit too easy, a bit too focused on just rushing through the levels, the levels are too alike, the level design is kinda awful for anything other than speedrun, the secrets are not secret at all, the collectibles is a chore (too boring), the music is not as good, surprisingly just as polished. Really, all good I can say about Rayman Legends compared to Rayman 1 is that Rayman Legends is that I liked to speedrun the levels, but that's about it. So eh, nah, they don't tower over the first game whatsoever. Not sure why you even say that. Rayman Origins and Legends is a rehash, which IMO failed at living up to the original, not capturing anything of what made the first so great, but they were a fun play regardless. They are definitely better than the 3D games, that's for sure. My favorite 3D Rayman would be "M/Rush/Arena".

Guess I need to call in @MosesRockefeller, who I know is right now loving Legends as much as I am. :)

Personally I think Origins was a good return to form but Legends is amazing. I think the level design is great, the music is excellent en there's loads of variation in the game. I especially like it when the music synchs up with the movements (or the other way around) in the final level of each world.

Dis it if you want, but in my opinion Rayman Legends is one of the best platformers in the past decade. That it's not super tough is not a big downside for me, I git my challenge elsewhere. Rayman Legends is clean good fun, and its speed and level design help in keeping it fun for me.

• Like 2

@Kevvik You playing Spellspire on the Vita or PS4? It makes a pretty big difference. I found the touchscreen controls on the vita worked a lot better than using the controller on PS4 but to offset that the Vita requires you to do 100 levels of the dungeon whereas the PS4 was patched to give you the Chrome Dragon after only 50 dungeon floors. Either way, have fun. :awesome:

Edited by Metal Slime King

2 hours ago, Ezio Auditore da Fir said:

Dis it if you want, but in my opinion Rayman Legends is one of the best platformers in the past decade. That it's not super tough is not a big downside for me, I git my challenge elsewhere. Rayman Legends is clean good fun, and its speed and level design help in keeping it fun for me.

I liked Rayman Legends a lot.  I replayed the musical levels quite a bit and I thought there was plenty of challenge in the daily/weekly challenges.  It's true you don't really need to push yourself on them to get the platinum (at least on PS4), but the challenge of placing in the top 1% is still there if you want it.

I never played the original Rayman, so I can't really comment on how it compares, but Legends was a very solid game in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Metal Slime King said:

@Kevvik You playing Spellspire on the Vita or PS4? It makes a pretty big difference. I found the touchscreen controls on the vita worked a lot better than using the controller on PS4 but to offset that the Vita requires you to do 100 levels of the dungeon whereas the PS4 was patched to give you the Chrome Dragon after only 50 dungeon floors. Either way, have fun. :awesome:

Playing on Vita so it looks like I'll have the big slog for the platinum. Eventually...

9 hours ago, eigen-space said:

And it's still really hard for me. Might be because the controls suck (which is why it was recommended to do first), but I'm just going to own up to the fact that I suck at this game :awesome:

Doesn't really surprise me. I also decided to play the DLC first back in 2014 but really disliked the controls as you could clearly see that they only did some simple button-mapping instead of adjusting the controls to be properly played with a gamepad in mind. Madness Returns is a bit more fun. At least what the small parts I played of it as I didn't finish that either. 

23 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Yeah, that’s clearly made for large screens. It’s a shame though as I think the gameplay would fit the Vita pretty well and the 2D animation wouldn’t be as taxing as modern 3D graphics. But looking at this, resizing different elements or zooming in also wouldn’t work or would take away from the feel and playability of the game. I guess that’s more games I might play whenever I get a PS4, then.

From what I learned it's not as easy to say "This is a 2D-game, it should run fine on the Vita". As the Vita has far less resources than any other current system (especially the RAM with only 512MB, from which a part still is reserved by the OS) it's harder for devs to develop/port a game to the system if they have far more resources on other system. Especially when they use some of the common game engines like Unreal, Unity, or GameMaker, which tend to make the initial developement way easier than doing everything on your own but if you don't know all possible tweaks it's hard to reduce the bloat those engines come with.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eigen-space said:

I actually really can't say much good about this game either. The controls are janky

And that's why I recommended to start with the first :P

It has tank-like controls and you'll die many many times because of it. You can also count the number of polygons that make up Alice xD but trust me, this'll make you appreciate madness returns 1000x more! That game was insanely good with a really decent plot. Ending had my jaw-dropped! 

The only good thing I remember about the original is the atmospheric creepy music. 

Good luck! You're not far off in finishing it. I believe the first game is just shy of 10 hrs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lars said:

Tonight i will play Act 2. I hope the story gets a bit more interesting, other aspects like length are perfect so far.

From what I remember I enjoyed Act 2 the most. Act 3 and 4 were also very enjoyable. Act 1 was like you said more like an introduction to everyone. The only disappointment for me was Act 5. Hope you have a good time with the story, as it seems to be either hit or miss for most people.