6 hours ago, xFalionx said:

Man, where do you people find these games? :o 

Personally, I often check the digital shops of every console I own to check if there's stuff that's flown in under the radar.

That's how I found MagRunner back in the day, but also how I found Elite Dangerous, Accounting+, Statik, Octodad, LIMBO, Golf Story, Putty Pals... Actually there's a lot of games I find out about this way.

• Like 1

@Crimson Idol FINALLY, Someone who seems to share my opinion on Rainbow moon! I love trying new RPGs, but this one is the dullest one I've ever played. No tutorial and I never found a way to skip the enemies turn... Which is REALLY annoying once you get in a fight with 16 enemies. I remember spending 45 minutes in one fight and then died! That was kind of the final straw for me. I really wanted to like the game, I really did. But in the end the game just bored me to tears.

Hopefully, it gets better for you, but I think it got worse as I played.

@Crimson Idol @Beyondthegrave07 I didn't enjoy Rainbow Moon all that much either. I might be misremembering things, but I don't think you were able to turn your character during battles without using action points (or whatever it's called in this game), were you? What I know for sure is that I did not like the battle system at all and navigating through dark caves(dungeons felt so out of place and annoying.

Edited by voodoo_eyes

@Beyondthegrave07 Thanks for the warning that there will be battles with up to 16 enemies. I was already annoyed of the ones where I had 8 to 10 enemies and wait for their useless move as they weren't able to walk over the loot. Skipping all animations and enemy moves would surely help to speed the game up. But at least you aren't really forced to enter random battles, that's a plus at least.

@voodoo_eyes Don't know if it applies to all characters but I'm able to turn the archer when I want to perform an attack. But didn't found an option or button to turn around the character without performing an action yet. Will check later though as the main has a rather good move for early game but it's restricted to the space he looks at. And somehow most enemies seem to walk the wrong direction so I can't use that move. 

4 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

@Beyondthegrave07 Thanks for the warning that there will be battles with up to 16 enemies. I was already annoyed of the ones where I had 8 to 10 enemies and wait for their useless move as they weren't able to walk over the loot. Skipping all animations and enemy moves would surely help to speed the game up. But at least you aren't really forced to enter random battles, that's a plus at least.

@voodoo_eyes Don't know if it applies to all characters but I'm able to turn the archer when I want to perform an attack. But didn't found an option or button to turn around the character without performing an action yet. Will check later though as the main has a rather good move for early game but it's restricted to the space he looks at. And somehow most enemies seem to walk the wrong direction so I can't use that move. 

Yeah, it'll get really bad if you don't increase your speed/agility. Enemies could take multiple turns before you get to go. Lots of waiting for sure.

I started Watch_Dogs 2 last night and I ran into an installation issue so I was barely able to play anything. I ended up deleting it and redownloading it with the internet off and was able to continue the game. I'm going to try to turn on the internet and see if I can play with the internet on.

@voodoo_eyes I'm interested to see how you like the game. I always thought I'd like a game like this, but never picked it up. To me, it feels like 2D platformers are coming back with recent successes such as Celeste, Sonic Mania, and Hollow Knight. I kind of like them just for the personal nostalgia of the old Sega Genesis games that I played where nearly every game was 2D and a lot of those were platforming games.

19 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

@voodoo_eyes I'm interested to see how you like the game. I always thought I'd like a game like this, but never picked it up. To me, it feels like 2D platformers are coming back with recent successes such as Celeste, Sonic Mania, and Hollow Knight. I kind of like them just for the personal nostalgia of the old Sega Genesis games that I played where nearly every game was 2D and a lot of those were platforming games.

I do agree that nostalgia probably gives the decisive nudge there. One of my favourite platformers is still Super Mario World. I hated all the 3D Mario games that I've tried, and in general I'm not a fan of most 3D platformers. They all tend to have issues with the camera and to this day the games of that genre haven't figured out how to do it right. Although the R&C reboot came pretty close.

Having a soft spot for metroidvania games also makes it more likely for me to enjoy 2D platformers.  Gutted that Hollow Knight won't ever come to PS4, but at least there's Dead Cells coming soon.

Side note: I think it would be cool, if Ubisoft got off their asses and made a new 2D Prince of Persia.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 1

On 16-7-2018 at 11:53 PM, Myu said:

Day 15 - Game 5

Tokyo Xanadu

tokyo_xanadu_logo1.jpg

Tokisaka Kou is a high school student with a part-time job in one of the bars of the entertainment districts of Tokyo. Right after his shift is over and he's ready to go home, he notices Hiiragi Asuka, one of his female classmates, quietly strolling down the street. Two guys with ill-intent spot her too and decide to follow her. Kou goes after them and, right before he steps up, a red portal door appears out of nowhere. Hiiragi doesn't seem too surprised but Kou certainly is when he ends up in a weird dungeon-like place.

10 minutes in and I already had a major feeling of deja-vu. I immediately thought of Persona 5 but then I took control of Kou and I realized : Trails of Cold Steel! And it's made by the same company! There's even the same « active voice » system that allows the characters to chat while you're exploring.

Then Kou chases after Hiiragi and find her surrounded by demon-like creatures. Far from being a damsel in distress, she pulls out her phone and uses it to summon a sword to kick everyone's ass. When the fight is over Hirragi dials something else on her phone and puts Kou to sleep, making him forget what just happened.

School life goes on until Kou starts remembering little bits and pieces here and there.

There's Free Time between school and Kou's part-time job, just like in the Persona games. Reading books and newspapers improves your stats, you can talk to lots of students and unlock more info about them. You can also use Kou's phone to get voicemails with the NiAr social network system.

I really like the chara design even if it is still very stereotypical. The music is ok so far but nothing too crazy. A nice thing that was added to this game is the name of the voice actors with each character introduction.

I have a feeling that I'm going to enjoy this game a lot.

Current completion rate : 84.08% (-3.5% since the beginning of the event).

I just bought this game this sale.. Think I'm glad I bought it.. Think I'll give this more prio now :)

On 20-7-2018 at 7:07 PM, DamagingRob said:

Lde1bf9.png

Day 1- One Piece: Unlimited World Red

I haven't even hit the 2 hour mark yet, but still have a decent amount of stuff to say already. Story seems to be separate from the series (which is what I'd heard), so you just really have to know who the Straw Hats are to enjoy it. New big bad pirate is stirring up trouble, and everyone except Luffy gets kidnapped.

The characters are as funny as ever, with the first enemy you fight being something Luffy wants to eat for dinner. And it's a big, red dragon. @Dragon-Archon may want to avoid running into him. :P And then you fight a pirate boss and save Zoro and Franky. But we're still missing a large part of the crew, so not done yet. 

Fighting is something like a musou game. Bunch of enemies that you beat up with combos, executed by pressing button combinations of :square: and :triangle:. As you rack up hits, a special bar fills for powerful special attacks. And :circle: prompts pop up often, which allow you to counter enemy attacks if pressed fast enough. 

There's a hub area where you can buy and store items, save your game, and pick up quests. Quests start as soon as you accept one, taking you to whatever area the quest is at. I took on a stronger version of that dragon, and nearly got wiped out. :blink: Luffy actually did die, and I had to finish the fight with Zoro and Franky. I could have probably saved Luffy, if I'd known how this all worked beforehand. But it looks like the characters you aren't controlling take no damage, so you just have to switch to someone else when their health gets low. 

As you defeat enemies and complete quests, you'll gain XP and level up. Which makes you stronger, I assume. You also equip "words," which boost your attack or other things. And items are found in many destructible objects on maps, or from fallen enemies. Which are used to upgrade things in the hub. 

There's also fishing and "bug" catching. I say "bug" because I haven't caught a bug yet. A rat and a demonic-looking squirrel, but no insects. And something I'm unable to catch at my current level, which looks like a lizard or salamander. But hard to say until I catch it, because the rat and squirrel looked nothing like a rat and squirrel. Both minigames involve pressing buttons that appear on the screen, in a sort of rhythm game fashion. 

You can kind of tell this is a Vita port, by the way.. The cutscenes look fine, but the graphics otherwise leave something to be desired. 

And that's about all I have to say, so far. The little bit of story I saw had me laughing out loud, but I'm not sure if the gameplay will be as enjoyable. I'll keep playing to find out. 

Time played: About an hour and 45 minutes.  

Trophy progress: 5/57 for 7% and an E rank.

Hmm after your review I think I should go back to this game... since I've played a view hours in a past KYC event.. 

1 hour ago, dmland12 said:

Game #7: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Lb32b8c.png

Trophies: 12/56 (17%)

Completion: 92.54% (-0.83%, -3.73% from start)

Mass Effect: Andromeda is a sci-fi shooter/RPG.  Everyone seems to hate this game, so I was expecting something pretty bad, but I've got to say I really don't get the hate.  Maybe it's because I haven't played the other Mass Effect games.  I wonder if this is one of those situations where people were anticipating something for a while and this just didn't match the direction they were hoping the series would go.

In any case, with low expectations, this game was a lot of fun.  It's made by Bioware and is very similar to Dragon Age: Inquisition, just in space and with guns instead of swords.  That's good.  I liked DA:I and I like space, so no problem.  Of the games I've played in this event so far, this is the one I'm having the most trouble setting aside after 3 days.  It probably won't be able to maintain that with the games I have lined up for #9 and #10, but still...

So what's the game about?  Humans as well as other humanoid aliens have launched a very ambitious project: settling a new galaxy, Andromeda.  They planned it out in great detail, found the perfect section of the galaxy to settle with planets that were just right and sent a lot of skilled people/aliens.  And then naturally once you get there everything goes wrong.  The perfect planets that you were supposed to settle are complete hellholes.  Some of the ships that were sent are missing.  There's some nasty aliens after you.  The people that were supposed to be in charge pretty much all die upon arrival.  The people/aliens that are left can't get along.  Oh, and you stumble into a role where you have to fix it all.  Congratulations Inquisitior Pathfinder.  ;)

The game plays similarly to Dragon Age: Inquisition.  You have some worlds you can explore, some main missions to complete and a lot of side quests that you can do as well.  In between, you can do a lot of talking with your companions/crew as well as other people etc. that you've met.  There's also romances.  ?

If you're interested in seeing some gameplay:

I think people didn't really like the game was that they had hoped for a better story and at the start there were loads of bugs, and the facial expressions weren't that good.. 

Still I liked the game and I've played the previous ones 

2 hours ago, vin_rob said:

I think people didn't really like the game was that they had hoped for a better story and at the start there were loads of bugs, and the facial expressions weren't that good.. 

I believe it had a lot to do with them releasing and unfinished and unpolished product. The game just wasn't ready for release, but they pushed it anyway. It's a shame to see how negative of and impact EA has had over the Bioware studio over the recent years. Not like that's anything new, as EA has a history of running studios into the ground. Dead Space series died when they pushed for online and microtransactions which lead inevitably to the closing of the studio. Same is likely to happen with Bioware, if Anthem flops when it releases next year. EA is basically shutting down any franchise that can't be merged with some form of microtransaction bullshit. It won't be long before EA consists of only sports titles and the Battlefield series. Oh yeah I almost forgot, there's always Command & Conquer Rivals... lol. They weren't even able to let that franchise die with some dignity.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 3

@dmland12 I played Andromeda in the previous KYC, and had roughly the same opinion. And I actually have played the original trilogy (on Xbox). So yeah, I don't really get all the hate either. 

4 hours ago, vin_rob said:

Hmm after your review I think I should go back to this game... since I've played a view hours in a past KYC event.. 

I have quite a few games from past KYC events I should get back to, as well.. But don't know if or when I will. 

4 hours ago, vin_rob said:

1 hour ago, voodoo_eyes said:

I believe it had a lot to do with them releasing and unfinished and unpolished product. The game just wasn't ready for release, but they pushed it anyway. It's a shame to see how negative of and impact EA has had over the Bioware studio over the recent years. Not like that's anything new, as EA has a history of running studios into the ground. Dead Space series died when they pushed for online and microtransactions which lead inevitably to the closing of the studio. Same is likely to happen with Bioware, if Anthem flops when it releases next year. EA is basically shutting down any franchise that can't be merged with some form of microtransaction bullshit. It won't be long before EA consists of only sports titles and the Battlefield series. Oh yeah I almost forgot, there's always Command & Conquer Rivals... lol. They weren't even able to let that franchise die with some dignity.

Yeah, I suppose it could have been a poor release.  But, some people out there really seem to have an axe to grind over this game.

Just now, DamagingRob said:

@dmland12 I played Andromeda in the previous KYC, and had roughly the same opinion. And I actually have played the original trilogy (on Xbox). So yeah, I don't really get all the hate either. 

Good to know I'm not the only one!