Self Imposed Trophy Rules

Recently I joined the site, and upon mentioning it to a friend, he was incredulous that I would find such a thing useful. He likes getting trophies but says, in a needlessly macho (childish) fashion, that a trophy guide makes a trophy worthless. That they should be earned alone. 

I get his point, a "collect everything" trophy achieved by following a guide is meaningless, but then so are all trophies. 

My only rule is that nobody gets to contribute to a trophy for me. I've heard of people letting their kids or friends grind away on their account, but mine is locked. I want to know that my hands earned the trophy for some reason, even if I used a guide. 

But there's no right way of course, so I was wondering how others chose to earn their trophies and if there are common rules to which people here hold true. Have you relaxed in ways over the years? 

• Like 1

I've never really had any rules for myself in terms of trophies, because that just sounds like it makes things longer and more annoying. After I've enjoyed a game enough to start trophy hunting, I usually try to get the trophy list done as fast as possible. Therefore I utilize guides, get help from siblings / friends, exercise any beneficial glitch, and so on. I don't see a point in having filters here to be honest, but I'm not saying you're wrong for doing so. I understand other trophy hunters only feel fulfilled with their trophies if they have earned the trophy fairly themselves, which is completely okay.

Edited by ddracarys
  • Like 4

I earn plenty of trophies using guides. Before I start a game I see if it has any missable. If it dont then I play the game till I am satisfied and then I use a guide to help 100 percent the game. I have small children and if they want to play a game on the ps3 I let them and once they are done I will just go ahead and mind numb out the plat. 

I go like this: AAA-Indie-Easy-Easy-AAA-Indie-Easy-Easy-etcetc.

I don't believe in stacks tho. I feel like playing it once is enough, PS3 should count also but only sometimes  (no vita -- too many timestamp hackers).

I think someone platinuming a game 15x is riduclous which I've seen before (PS4, PS3, Vita, EU, AS, UK, etc)

I think using guides is fine, even boosting and glitches/exploits as long as you meet the criteria using in-game mechanics. Only rule is that I earn the trophy, having someone else do it for you completely defeats the purpose of trophies on the same level as saves/hacking. I’ll rather load up an unobtainable than having someone else earning my trophies.

• Like 2

On ps3 i played games that looked interesting. I didn't think about trophies for nearly 3 years. After that i looked at trophy guides for my 2nd or 3rd walkthrough. Nowadays i look at guides before playing if i know a game isn't good (Orc Slayer i.e.)... I use shortcuts like glitches, boosting online trophies and afk grinding with a turbo controller.

But i haven't asked and/or paid someone to unlock trophies for me without me. Example in RDR Advanced Coop Missions i wasn't very helpful but still involved killing a few enemies. I'm glad i cannot use shareplay or else i'd probably ask people helping me more and more...

I steered away from playing games just because they had easy trophies a long time ago. No way I'll play one of those $1 "watch all the trophies pop in like a few minutes" games. Also don't like the idea of auto-popping trophies like with Sound Shapes, but I already did that once with that Sly Cooper game and wouldn't do it again just because it feels so cheap. Other than that, I dunno, as long as I'm not cheating to the point where it's something that would get me kicked off the leaderboards here, I don't care too much how exactly I earn a trophy.

37 minutes ago, Bezenko said:

Only rule is that I earn the trophy, having someone else do it for you completely defeats the purpose of trophies on the same level as saves/hacking. I’ll rather load up an unobtainable than having someone else earning my trophies.

This^

and no stacks, no offense to people who loves going for stacks and doing those Sound Shapes 6 times etc but it really looks stupid. I like watching other poeple trophy profiles but whenever I see 200+ plats and easy plats stacked everywhere it feels like a waste of time scrooling through those.

• Like 4

Seld-imposed trophy rules... I never saw it coming ?

1 minute ago, Mami Tomoe said:

and no stacks, no offense to people who loves going for stacks

And what about stack long or hard games? :awesome: I did it with Persona Golden and  believe me, I would like stack another great games like P5 or .Hack G.U ?

• Like 3

My rule for trophies is to play the game first before I start going for the platinum, even if it means I have to play a game twice or more. I'd rather enjoy my first time experience than worry about missing trophies or having to do specific actions. My only exception to that rule is if the trophies have a hardest difficulty trophy. In that case I will play the game on the hardest difficulty. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AlchemistWer said:

Seld-imposed trophy rules... I never saw it coming 1f605.png

And what about stack long or hard games? :awesome:

If you like plating it twice then by all means do it :awesome: but seeing the same game image several times on a profile looks kinda boring at least for me

• Like 2

No rules, not limiting myself to what I can and can not do.

I think people read too much into it, it's not like other people are bothered about any other profile than their own so people should just do whatever keeps them most entertained. If they want to set themselves rules that's absolutely cool but I'm not going out of my way to impress anyone so. :D 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Starlove- said:

Never buy games for the sake of trophies in themselves. Talking about useless crap like My Name is Mayo. Cheap, sure, but for me still not worth it.

LOL, yeah I regret that one! Never before and never again. Just feels cheap. But still, I like seeing numbers go up lol

I see a game that looks interesting and I'll check out a guide to see how different some trophies are and to see which ones I can earn while having fun. I'll play the game and earn what trophies I want and that I'm capable of obtaining, then move on. I don't really care for completion percentages or anything like that. 

My rules for trophy hunting

-Dont buy games just for easy trophies (unless on sale)

-Forget about trophies to enjoy the game first playthrough

-Actually have fun with it and challenge/compete against yourself only

Wouldn't really call it rules but thats just my trophy hunting routine.

• Like 1