10 Years of PlayStation Trophies (2008-2018)

Maxie_M0us3

5 minutes ago, Burning_Cassette said:

wonder who the first person to ever earn a trophy was

Not sure we shall ever know, but maybe it’s possible to check with timestamps who has the oldest trophy at least among the gamers tracked on this (awesome) site? ?

Maybe an interesting contest idea also: post your very first trophy, excluding missing timestamps ?

Well, I've always been a retro gamer myself, and even though I already had a completionist vein at the time, I stopped caring about achievements and such, so that way I could risk less to stop having fun while gaming and have more time to play more games (yeah, specially after I started working and have less time than before).

Even though the trophy system has 10 years, I only got my PS4 one year ago (I skipped the PS3) and at the time I though I wouldn't care about trophies at all. It seems I was wrong and somehow my completionist vein has woken up once again! Even though I have some games I left on standby on my profile, I will only 100%/platinum if I really feel like it and really want to grind it, else I might complete it later. Fun has more priority than trophies. But so far, so good, I've been wanting to 100%/platinum most of the games I have been playing.

Even though I joined PSNP only last October, trophy hunting became more interesting, thanks to the events the community creates, discussions we have about certain games/trophies. And yes, thanks to PSNP I have heard about games I never though I would play/hear about, and in my opinion, trophy hunting makes sense if you belong to a trophy hunter community, so you can then show your achievements and have someone to celebrate with.

Go trophy hunters!

Edited by Caju_94
  • Like 2

Wow 10 years of trophies. Sadly I did not have a PS3 at the time the trophy update came out. It was 2 years later when I got a PS3. My first 3 trophies a without a time stamp. I got mine in February 2010 but it was a couple months before I took interest in trophies. I remember popping a trophy in Mirror's Edge and then looking up PS3 trophies. Of course this site wasn't around then. The first one I found (I don't think it is aloud to be mentioned here) helped me to get into trophies and looking over the games I had at the time The Godfather II seemed like the game I could get all the trophies in for my first platinum. 

Even though I have had ups and downs with trophies. Especially this year, I still enjoy getting them. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Burning_Cassette said:

wonder who the first person to ever earn a trophy was

I checked and the first user to get a Trophy ever was sohcahtoa, earning Hero of Lave in Super Stardust HD, the 28th June, 2008, 3:36:29 AM.

Obviously, this user was testing the Trophies before the PS3 software update was released.

Edited by Maxie Mouse

1 hour ago, Maxie Mouse said:

I checked and the first user to get a Trophy ever was sohcahtoa, earning Hero of Lave in Super Stardust HD, the 28th June, 2008, 3:36:29 AM.

Obviously, this user was testing the Trophies before the PS3 software update was released.

I wouldn't say "the first person ever", as there's a good possibility someone not registered on the site obtained a trophy before this user, but he/she is definitely among the first.

Edit: Found someone that earned a trophy on June 25th.

Edited by SunnyCrappyYT

Coming from achievements on the 360, I have to say I much prefer the trophy system. Distinguishing between the pointless "turn the game on" trophies and the harder or more involved trophies was a stroke of genius. I stopped caring about my gamerscore as it became an indicator of simply how many games a person plays, but platinum trophies got me interested again. 

• Like 1

Sadly, I hardly ever post on this forum even though I use PSNP daily for trophy statistics. Here's my first trophy story:

Back in January 2010 I bought Fallout 3 for PC and even though my machine was up to specs, the game would constantly crash. At the same time a buddy of mine talked about how awesome his new PS3 looked. Well, seeing that Fallout 3 was actually available on PS3, I bought my console in February. I didn't know about trophies back then. February 28th, I fired the console up for the first time and instead of Fallout 3 I first loaded up Assassin's Creed 2, which came bundled with the PS3. After a few seconds I heard a Ding and that message in the corner, telling me I had earned a trophy. A what? I looked it up and found out about trophies. Interesting, I thought... Turned out Fallout 3 should become my first Platinum 

45 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

474.gif

Was that deliberate...?

Yes, I've put it there on purpose! :awesome: This quote has much more meaning here than it was during SWBF2's lootboxes outrage.

35 minutes ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

I wouldn't say "the first person ever", as there's a good possibility someone not registered on the site obtained a trophy before this user, but he/she is definitely among the first.

Edit: Found someone that earned a trophy on June 25th.

I edited from your reply. Can you show me this person? ?

Edited by Maxie Mouse
  • Like 1

Ah, it’s been a whole decade since a thing popped up on my screen and I said:

“what the hell? What was that? Oh, a system-wide trophy scheme? Well, that’s stupid, who would ever care about those...”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maxie Mouse said:

Yes, I've put it there on purpose! :awesome: This quote has much more meaning here than it was during SWBF2's lootboxes outrage.

I edited from your reply. Can you show me this person? 1f914.png

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link other trophy sites here, so that's why I didn't link it.

On another trophy site (you probably know which one I'm talking about), search for user "Elixor" and check their Super Stardust HD trophies.

Gawd, I gamed casually for years! Of course the highest difficulty I ever chose was ‘normal’ lol and it didn’t matter whether I completed a game or not. Trophies changed all that!

Extremely unfortunate for me my PS3 was stolen in 2008 - before trophies were born. I never bothered replacing it and didn’t game again until 3 years ago. Bored one week I decided to buy a PS4 and the Uncharted Remastered Triogy. I set it up and began playing - on ‘normal’ of course ? then I heard this DING and something popped up on screen you have earned a trophy. I wondered what it was so I went to my friend google and asked him. I’ve been addicted ever since.

But... these trophies... I discovered - wanted me to play on crushing, wtf! I didn’t even know what it was but it sounded very painful. Okay I’ll try it I suppose. After I finished my first game on the highest difficulty and did all the other things required and I got the platinum trophy I felt really excited and eager to try and get another one.

I realised then that I’d been missing out all those years of playing on normal. Playing on higher difficulties was so much more fulfilling and such a great feeling when you finally beat it. If not for trophies I would never have learned that so I’m very grateful. I’m sure without trophies my PS4 would more often than not be gathering dust in a corner somewhere. For better or worse I’m now an addict ? Thank You Sony!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link other trophy sites here, so that's why I didn't link it.

On another trophy site (you probably know which one I'm talking about), search for user "Elixor" and check their Super Stardust HD trophies.

Sorry I couldn’t find and know which website you’re talking about.

@Maxie Mouse

Awesome write up! Thank you for the time and effort you took to make it awesome ?

My first plat was Legends of Wrestlemania and it wasn't too hard. The first platinum I really worked for was Demons Souls. No drops, no shortcuts, just patience and adaptability. That's where my trophy OCD really started.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

That profile is tracked here on PSNProfiles too. 

https://psnprofiles.com/Elixor

And ya, he has 3 trophies earned on the 25th. Seams to someone from SCEE France. 

• Like 1

I first got a PS3 in November of 2009, and immediately started playing GTA IV. However, I didn't really start collecting trophies until December of 2010. Once I realized the lore of trophy hunting, I was hooked.

Now, on my second profile (first one was locked by Sony... long story), I'm now sitting at 10,000+ trophies between the two profiles. Here's to the next 10,000!