10 Years of PlayStation Trophies (2008-2018)

Maxie_M0us3

Wow, I've been thinking about how close I am to have been collecting trophies (and owning a PS3) for 10 years. I didn't realize just how new trophies were when I got my PS3 at the very end of 2008 and earned my first trophy at the very beginning of 2009. I know some of my first games didn't initially have trophies like Uncharted and GTA IV.

That said, I think I will be getting to a good point to stop being the trophy hunter I've been almost the last 10 years. Well, more like the last 6 or so that I've really been at it. Anyway, 10 years of trophy hunting and 200 platinums should be a good stopping point. I plan on at least stop going for platinums. I might eventually make exceptions and go past 200 for games I really want to plat but, in any case, I suppose I'll never actually stop earning trophies so long as I'm playing Playstation games.

@J2V89 It did indeed felt better than any other achievement systems. What other systems don’t offer is a ultimate goal, like the Platinum trophy. Points also don’t feel any good as the types of trophies, representing their difficulty and dedication (sort of ever since).

I got my ps3 in 2011 but was offline with it for quite awhile.  August 2012 i platinum’d my first game, Trine.  And i was hooked!  From then up until now, ive earned atleast one platinum a month, every single month without missing a beat.  223 plats later with a 71 month platinum streak (thats 5 years and 11months lol) and im still going strong. Ive platinumed the entire aplhabet A - Z and i think ive played just about every type of genre thats available, just about!  Thanks Sony, for this curse has no cure! 

Even though I had my ps3 at launch, I never had internet access from when that trophy update came out till the end of 2010. I still remember playing gt5 after getting the internet and seeing these trophies pop.  I was immediately hooked. 

22 hours ago, Maxie Mouse said:

Trophies opened many of us to discover independent, forgotten and obscured games that we would have probably never touched, including the most low budget, poorly made and glitching, unoriginal, cash grabbing games we could find. Yet, we play them for the joy of Trophies and gaming!

WCCFplaystationtrophies.jpg

Man, this is the best speach I ever read ????

Congratulations to all the trophy hunters all over the world, this is our day definitely ????

My first platinum was FFXIII back in 2010 when I got a PS3. My dad is anti-gaming, so the only way we got it was when he was looking to buy a blu ray player, and me and my brother suggested the PS3 and he fell for it hook line and sinker. I didn't know what trophies were or what they were for but they were in my guide book so I went about earning them and farming thousands of Adamantoises for hours to get the platinum being the completionist I am.

I didn't even have a PSN account until 2013, when I was moving out from home to uni, got my own PS3 and looked up how to transfer data and hence trophies. 

I got a new account in 2013 (this one) as I changed region from EU to JP and prefer playing games in Japanese as I used to live there and study. So I redid the FF13 trophies, along with 13-2, Tales of Graces and Vesperia which were the 4 plats I had on my old account so I ended up platting these games twice. My first platinum trophy on this account was Vesperia, which was my 3rd plat in my pervious account.

i don't have many plats, but I go for quality and games I really enjoy. I have 24 plats on this account, and 4 on my old one, so 28 in total. 

I've started to slow down quite a lot because I've been more and more busy with real life, especially now that I'm older and no longer have the time I used to.

I definitely wish I started a lot earlier because trophy hunting was considered to be new. I focused on Xbox 360 Achievements for a couple years until I got burnt out on them and went to play World of Warcraft.

It's been quite a long journey for some of you, and if you starting trophy hunting back in 2008 then I tip my hat to you. 10 years is a long time to be trophy hunting, considering how fast the gaming industry is changing.

Back when trophies first came out it looked like you really needed to work hard to earn that platinum trophy. I can imagine a lot of people had trouble with Crushing difficulty in Uncharted because Crushing is supposed to be well, very hard. Several years later people realized Crushing wasn't all that bad as it was made out to be, so the guys behind the remasters put in Brutal difficulty, which is more annoying and unfair than difficult.

Trophy hunting is not new anymore, so it's understandable a lot of people have quit and moved on with their lives. If you still enjoy trophy hunting and started in the early days, I tip my hat to you and hope you get many more platinums for your collection.

• 8 months later...
On 2/7/2018 at 5:43 AM, Max654 said:

Yup folks, time flies fastOn July 2nd, 2008, the PlayStation 3 received the software update version 2.40, easily for many of us the best software update ever conceived in PlayStation history! It included the in-game XMB menu, the background music playback and, of course, the Trophy System. Many early achievement completionists may still remember those number to this day!

The very first game ever supporting Trophies was Super Stardust HD, receiving the update the same exact day as the PS3 software update integrated this award system!

The first recorded user for earning a Trophy was Elixor, earning :bronze: The Tokenizer on June 25th, 2008, at 6:25:04 AM local hour, a week before the Trophies were available to us! He was apparently an employee at SCEE France, testing the Trophy system before Sony deployed the PS3 update 2.40 on July 2nd.

However, the very first :platinum: Platinum trophy ever obtainable was the original PS3 version of Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (released first on November 19th, 2007 in North America), which received its update with Trophies on August 4th, 2008! Our very first taste of ultimate gaming award! 

Therefore, the first player to earn a :platinum: Platinum trophy was DrPirate on August 5th, 2008, at 8:41:12 AM local time!

1L3abb56.png

For many of us gamers, the Trophy System changed forever our ways of playing games, like we never did before. Trophies gave us gamers a real sense of pride and accomplishment, that all our well-earned virtual awards would actually mean something, more than any other platforms can offer! All those tedious hours of grind, or those trials and failures made us gamers proud and satisfied when we could hear this simple yet angelic “Ding!” sound, after long hard work. For the first time, we gamers could feel aiming an ultimate goal: Achieving this holy grail that is the :platinum: Platinum trophy! Many of us surpassed ourselves by reaching the 100% completion in games, by facing skilled players in online multiplayer, by beating times by a mere second, or by dying over and over against those brutal bosses of Lordran and those brutal difficulties until we triumphed!

Yes, for the majority of gamers, Trophies and achievements in general can be seen as ‘pointless’, too ‘tedious’ or ‘a waste of time’. It’s understandable, Trophies aren’t for everyone. But still, those awards are part of the video game experience, what makes us loving gaming! For us trophy achievers, Trophies extend the game’s longetivity, they push us to do absolutely everything the game has to offer, they offer us challenges, gameplays and play styles that we would normally never do without Trophies! Not only that, Trophies opened many of us to discover independent, forgotten and obscured games that we would have probably never touched, including the most low budget, poorly made and glitching, unoriginal, cash grabbing games we could find. Yet, we play them for the joy of Trophies and gaming!

One of the greatest things of this system is that it created large communities to help each other, to cooperate together in order to fulfil their most wanted virtual awards, just like this website. And this is awesome!

We should give immense thanks to Sony for implementing this feature into their video game consoles! This have changed many gamers forever!

I hope that many of you, veterans from Day 1, newly or years-old hunters, will still enjoy collecting all those virtual awards for many years to come!

Have good gaming and let’s keep the Trophy hunt! :platinum::gold::silver::bronze:

- MaxieM0us3

WCCFplaystationtrophies.jpg

Actually the first platinum trophy ever earned goes to Rippa, https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/34-uncharted-drakes-fortune/1-platinum

Didn't have decent internet at my parents house, they had dial up ?

First trophy doesn't have a time stamp

Lord Of the Rings

48L6091b2.png

Then I brought my Ps3 to a buddies house and set up my account

Jammed Killzone 2 for a of couple days.

Got Wargod On april 25th 2009.

51Lb89967.png

First Plat was BFBC 2

Online was so damn good.

1L35b7e1.png

The trophy system made me look deeper into games

Trophy sites helped so much with there guides, plus the gamers from the community.

They're a good way to keep track of which games you'd  want to play again

Turbodog22 got me into hunting, I didn't even know what they were until he brought up his platinum collection

Happy 10 years fo sho, fellow hunter and huntresses

Edited by Galactic Hyper Balls
  • Like 1