Dr_Mayus' Prescription for Perfection

Dr_Mayus

1Lf882dc.png

#166-Killzone 3

OK first thing's first. That was a weird trophy glitch. I beat the game on Elite and that trophy popped and that was it. I thought "well that is weird but maybe this game makes you wait through the credits to get the Plat" So I waited...and nothing. Then I beat the game again...and nothing. Then I synced up my trophies...and nothing. Then I turned off my PS3 and beat the game again...still nothing. Then I deleted my game data, didn't install update and beat the game again...yeah a whole lot of nothing. Finally I synced my trophies again and the platinum was there. That scared me a bit :).

OK on to my thoughts on the game. I really liked this game. I am not very good at shooters but I really enjoy playing them. So I beat this game when it first came out and moved on to other things (remember this was back in 2011 and since I was working for Sony I was getting a brand new game every couple of weeks and didn't have time to plat games).

So by 2012 my completion percentage was terrible and I decided to start cleaning up older games. I got all the trophies in this game except for the online stuff, beating it on Elite and the 1500 kills trophy. I put it aside for other games (as I didn't want to do the online stuff).

Now for some reason I really wanted to play this game again and posted a status update for online help. Chuck was awesome enough to download the game again (despite owning a physical copy) and got me the rest of the online trophies (thank you very much :)).

So now it was just me and my Elite run...and I am not very good at shooters :(

Well I persevered and discovered helpful strategies (like not blindly running into a crowd of Helghast shooting wildly) and finally beat the game (well I beat it 4 times as discussed above) :D.

I know a lot of people will say "this game isn't that hard" and that is true but I am really not that good at shooters (despite owning quite a bit of FPS plats).

Congrats on the new plat Mayus! KZ3 is one of my all time FPS favorites :). But seriously though, completing Elite mode a total of four times.. I'd be pretty mad if it didn't pop the first time :P

• Like 2

Congrats on the new plat Mayus! KZ3 is one of my all time FPS favorites :). But seriously though, completing Elite mode a total of four times.. I'd be pretty mad if it didn't pop the first time :P

Thanks buddy :). Although I only completed the last level 4 level 4 times, not all of elite :o

oh man well I hope that it doesn't take me 3 years to do. I don't have that amount of time left on my Ps3. I was hoping to give up my PS3 for a PS4.

Nah the game can be platted very quickly. Even the online stuff isn't hard (I don't know about the DLC though)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1Lba0c73.png

#167-Skyanders Giants

So I wasn't really going to play anymore of these games but someone was selling this and 8 giant Skylanders for 25 bucks on Kijiji and I knew that was a great price. I picked it up and will sell of the toys (for a reasonable price I am not an asshole) but in the meantime I thought I would revisit the series to see if it has improved...it has not.

The games aren't bad, they are just not great. I said in my Spyro's Adventure review that if these games came with all the characters built into the game (instead of the stupid toy thing) then I would have no complaints. Hell, if they had all the characters and priced it at 29.99 or 39.99 I would actually encourage parents to buy it as it is pretty fun with a variety of game modes.

But it is the actual price that turns me off this game and had me telling parents to stay away from it like the plaque. If you think about what I currently own and what that would have originally cost :o...8 giants are 15 bucks each so that is 120$ plus the cost of the game which would have been 59.99 or so (she didn't have the portal so I assume she bought it on its own). So that is close to 200$ for a mediocre beat em up.

As for the actual game? Well they made it just hard enough that you need to buy extra Skylanders to ensure you have extra lives and have access to the best hats in the game. There is no dodge button so avoiding melee and projectile enemies in a close environment becomes very hard (and on Nightmare 2-3 hits can kill you). Also when you die you have to swap in a new character but they don't get any recovery time so if you were in the middle of getting hit then your next Skylander would also be getting hit and could die before you have the chance to move them. The Hit detection is way off as well as I would be standing in a safe spot but spikes or blades would still "hit" me and make me lose most of my health.

Finally I have complained about this before but since this game is also on the Wii it means that the developers are limited to the amount of buttons they can use. So instead of using all the beautiful buttons on the PS3 and X360 we are instead limited to just using 3 buttons for all our attacks and having to do combos to get more powerful moves to register. This causes a problem as you might be using the X+O attack but you don't realize the animation is over and press O again only to have your Skylander do something you don't want him to do and get hit/killed over it.

Anyways for the price I paid I can't really complain, those complaints are more for the people who spend the price of a new console on a game that is not worth more than a bargain price.

• Like 1

1L5a578e.png

#168-Deadly Premonition

What's that Zach...we had fun playing this game. I agree but then again the coffee did tell me that this would be a fun game :)

OK so if Twin Peaks, Silent Hill and Majora's Mask had some kind of weird orgy and somehow produced a game...that game would be Deadly Premonition (yeah I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense).

This game is a lot like Heavy Rain and you will either love it or hate it and luckily for me I really enjoyed it. The characters, the story, the music, the atmosphere it all worked to produce a fun adventure that had you wanting to play more. I heard a lot of people put down the controls but I didn't hate them. Sure the car and gun fire were clunky and the map system was garbage but all of that wasn't enough to take me out of the game.

The part I did have a problem with is the quest system. Majora's Mask did it so perfectly. It had the journal so you could keep track of what quests you had and what times they became available. It made it nice and easy to plan out how you were going to complete each quest. DP though you had to rely on rain, eating, changing clothes and sleeping so it became a nuisance to get a particular event to happen. The rain was the worse because it would have you keep sleeping over and over and over hoping the next day brought rain and when it finally did have rain you had to wait patiently with a cigarette until it was time to go. If the quest system was fixed up I would be a whole lot happier with the game.

Regardless this is one of my favourite games i have played this year and a strong contender for the Year End Awards :)

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

1L5a578e.png

#168-Deadly Premonition

What's that Zach...we had fun playing this game. I agree but then again the coffee did tell me that this would be a fun game :)

OK so if Twin Peaks, Silent Hill and Majora's Mask had some kind of weird orgy and somehow produced a game...that game would be Deadly Premonition (yeah I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense).

This game is a lot like Heavy Rain and you will either love it or hate it and luckily for me I really enjoyed it. The characters, the story, the music, the atmosphere it all worked to produce a fun adventure that had you wanting to play more. I heard a lot of people put down the controls but I didn't hate them. Sure the car and gun fire were clunky and the map system was garbage but all of that wasn't enough to take me out of the game.

The part I did have a problem with is the quest system. Majora's Mask did it so perfectly. It had the journal so you could keep track of what quests you had and what times they became available. It made it nice and easy to plan out how you were going to complete each quest. DP though you had to rely on rain, eating, changing clothes and sleeping so it became a nuisance to get a particular event to happen. The rain was the worse because it would have you keep sleeping over and over and over hoping the next day brought rain and when it finally did have rain you had to wait patiently with a cigarette until it was time to go. If the quest system was fixed up I would be a whole lot happier with the game.

Regardless this is one of my favourite games i have played this year and a strong contender for the Year End Awards :)

I'm so happy you liked the game doc xD

deadly premonition is so underrated and all of those complaints really made me like the game even more, since none of then happened to me. The game has a excellent story that made me in a way remember one game of my top 5 last gen, which was heavy rain.

So congratulations mate, my pot never ever lost its warmth, if all honesty I just couldn't let the controller down until I helped Zach discover what everything actually was.

Hopefully the game can have a sequel, isn't it right Zach?

Edited by Mah2c
  • Like 1

I'm so happy you liked the game doc xD

deadly premonition is so underrated and all of those complaints really made me like the game even more, since none of then happened to me. The game has a excellent story that made me in a way remember one game of my top 5 last gen, which was heavy rain.

So congratulations mate, my pot never ever lost its warmth, if all honesty I just couldn't let the controller down until I helped Zach discover what everything actually was.

Hopefully the game can have a sequel, isn't it right Zach?

Who's to say it doesn't have a sequel...

1366346-kaysensf.jpg...kaysen_photo.png

The Red Room lives :o

Edited by Dr_Mayus

1Lc0b30d.png

#169-Okami HD

Well this game has been sitting on my gaming wishlist ever since I rented the PS2 version back in the day. I rented it but never got a chance to play it (my brother beat it though) and I am happy to have finally  beaten it :D

I would like to thank SuperBuu for creating and arranging the We Play of this. It was a really cool way to play through a game and gave me the chance to get to know some of the other users on this site. A big congrats to Zadorvp, Sinnriel, Vermachtnis and Buu for all platting this game with me :) and a sympathy congrats to YuriG who couldn't quite make it :(

Also say hello to my "Zelda" plat Triforce :yay:

1La6cebb.png

1L73188f.png1Lc0b30d.png

• 2 weeks later...

1Le7ed9e.png

#170-Tales of Hearts R

I loved this game. This is probably my second favourite Tales game (after Symphonia). I found the characters to be all enjoyable, the story was your standard Tales story but the characters made it work. Speaking of the characters you had the Tales Game Roll Call going on here Wide Eyed Hero, Reserved Girl with a Secret, Protective Brother/Friend, Battle Hardened Knight, Bad Guy turned Good Guy, Milf, Loli, Alien/Robot but as I said I didn't care because I really liked all 8 of them :).

The fighting mechanics were good but I found that less strategy was needed here. I was playing on Hard for most of the game (and actually switched up to Manic on my second playthrough) and I found that mashing X and Square solved most battles. I didn't have to set my AI strategy up to win any fight...except the last boss. The problem was the rest of the game didn't leave me prepared for the final boss on Unknown and that was actually a challenge. It was a 2 part fight and he hits hard and fast.

I liked that an Airship was used, more RPGs need a real Airship to allow you to fly around the world (and not just select where you want to go on a checklist).

Finally, the Balloon game...this was awful. It actually wasn't that hard once you had the right Artes but the problem was the targeting system. It just targeted whatever the fuck it wanted to and it made me lose more often than not. A real shame that that was included as otherwise I would say this was a near perfect plat (the right difficulty, not too much grinding or collectibles and fun game all around).

So if you have a Vita and you are a fan of RPGs do yourself a favour and pick this game up.

• Like 2

Congrats on the Hearts R plat dood! I love that part with the Tales roll call because those really are the type of characters you see in a Tales game xD

:lol: I know I had made a status update about it but was disappointed because I didn't have a Robot/Alien yet. Then when you are kidnapped you see a giant purple robot and I was like :D. Sure enough he is a robotic protector from the alternate planet (another Tales cliche) and I had the complete set of characters :P

1Ld554aa.png

#171-Transformers: War for Cybertron

Well it took me almost 5 years to get this platinum but that is NOT because I didn't like this game. Actually this is one of my favourite games of last gen and I am really happy to FINALLY have this platinum.

This is the only game where I actually loved the online and happily got all the online trophies. Getting to Level 25 4 times never felt like a chore and it was a great community to be apart of. Now remember I did this back in 2010 when there were tons of people still playing it and no glitchers/hackers

Getting to 100 took awhile though so once I was done I decided to hold off on beating the game on hard for a bit. When I finally did come back to it I beat about 4 or so levels on Hard and then my save corrupted :( and I put it on hold again.

Finally I decided to finish it off this week and the game was just as good as I remembered it. Hard was tough but never controller breaking tough. It provided a nice challenge and when I had Tripticon down to 1 last cell my pulse started racing as I was afraid of being insta-killed by him. But he eventually exploded and I have a platinum that is more than meets the eye :D

• Like 1