Dr_Mayus' Prescription for Perfection

Dr_Mayus

Its about tine you got the Velocity 2X plat scrub :P .....Nah seriously congrats on the plat dood, I honestly thought this was going to be #200 though

My PS+ ran out months ago so I couldn't play and I knew I was losing yours and Jeieem's respect daily with that game sitting unplatted so it needed to get done :P

Also 200...200 is going to be something special :( It is going to put Hannah Montana to shame

My PS+ ran out months ago so I couldn't play and I knew I was losing yours and Jeieem's respect daily with that game sitting unplatted so it needed to get done :P

Also 200...200 is going to be something special :( It is going to put Hannah Montana to shame

Grats on your plat. And i'd forgotten about this mysterious 200th plat till now. WHAT IS IT!?  :shakefist:

Grats on your plat. And i'd forgotten about this mysterious 200th plat till now. WHAT IS IT!?  :shakefist:

Oh it is coming :). The promo video is being worked on to start off the journey to 200. It will be released with the Year End Awards (this feels like the VGAs now :P)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1L63d8bb.png

#175-Guacamelee!

Oh man I dug this game :lol: . I don't know why I didn't get this before but for 3$ (and an extra 5$ for all the DLC) this was an awesome experience. This one is in serious contention for Dr_Mayus Year End Awards :D

Anyone who knows me, knows I love a great platformer and this is one solid platformer. Funny, good story, good villains, challenging boss fights (stupid Javier), excellent fluid movement...yeah this had it all.

Also I heard this game had some rage inducing challenges. I read about people quitting the platinum because of the Tule Tree challenge. I beat it on my second try using the Vita (which has less accurate controls than the PS3). I just came off of Velocity 2x so yeah...this was nothing.

All that being said though this year kind of started off crappy with some less than desirable platinums, but I am now 8 in a row for AWESOME games (would have been 10 but stupid Skylanders Giants go in the way) and I look forward to more awesome games ^_^

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Haven't posted here in awhile :D. 6 new plats thanks to the Plat Rain. Was a big fan of all these games (except Lego Star Wars..that sucked) but I would have to say Tales From the Borderlands wins for best story and Saints Row wins for most fun to play.

1Laf72a5.pngBroken Age

1L76043d.png Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

1Ld7c660.png Dead Island Riptide

1L222b9b.png Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell

1L47879f.png Teslagrad

1Lc78509.png Tales From the Borderlands

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

1Ldd56de.png

#182-Saints Row IV

A raptor with a British accent travels through time and enters a computer simulation to stop a dominatrix from turning everyone into Sex Slaves...that is just one of the endings you will find in Saints Row IV.

Anyone who knows me, know I like a good story. The problem with Videogames is good stories are really hard to come by. The problem with Gaming is the story has to exist in the game world so usually what happens in cut scenes and what happens in the game world don't jive. It is why despite Sin threatening to destroy the world...we still have time for Blitzball.

The Saints, on the other hand, are all about doing what they find fun. So if you want to drive on the sidewalk killing everyone...OK :). If you want to dress up in Bondage gear while sporting a jaunty Bowler cap....go ahead :). If you want to make a mix tape of your favourite jams and go on a killing spree...well that is what it is in the game for :)

So now that the rules of gaming isn't interfering with the story, they are free to just have fun and that is really what the game is about. The interactions with the different characters is great, the story is nonsensical but works in the environment they created and the fact that one of the reasons you want to kill Zindrak is because he interrupted your singing in the car...well that is a good enough reason for me :lol:

Seriously this series is the embodiment of fun, the humour may not be everyone's cup of tea but the dialog, the writing and the characters are all top notch and make this a very fun ride ^_^

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

1L159184.png

#183-The Book of Unwritten Tales 2

I wanted a game to break up the Star Ocean grinding and this was the perfect game to do it :) I got it cheap off a Flash Sale and it was worth the price.

The characters were fun and the story was good...except for 2 small gripes. This was a sequel but if you hadn't played the first one you were a little lost on who the characters were. I think they could have done a little bit more to introduce you to the characters (like Mass Effect 2 did) so you weren't so lost. I mean the first one wasn't on Playstation so there were a lot of players that had no idea who these people were. I mean I was able to piece together what happened in the first story (eventually through dialog) but the transition wasn't smooth.

The other problem was ending on a cliff hanger. I do not like that story telling because if you don't get a third game then the fans are left with a lot of answers. Hopefully a third one comes out but really not a fan of games/movies/TV Shows doing that (looking at you Spawn, Twin Peaks and Carnivale)

Anyways for the price it is worth picking up and enjoying a fun little adventure

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

1Laa1414.png

#185-Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

I know this game is supposed to be a classic but either the PS3 version is a terrible port or the game simply doesn't hold up (and according to people on my statuses it might be the former)

I don't know I just found the game boring BUT that is probably because I enjoy the outlandish vs the "realistic". I prefer Saints Row or inFAMOUS over games like GTA or Assassin's Creed...so my opinion might be skewed

That being said, I still had fun playing the game but there were so many little things that bothered me it took away from my enjoyment. No checkpoints starting you at the mission (meaning if you failed you had to drive all the way across town again to get to the mission), killing someone in the woods gives you a 1 star rating despite no one being around...but I can lose that 1 star if I drive into a paint shop despite the cops seeing me drive in there. Having the corner of my car touch a light post causes my car to go flying into the air and landing on my roof and then having me slide on my roof down a flat surface for about 5 minutes and then exploding. Having my gun lock onto a car driving away far in the distance instead of all the people right in front of me...and having no button to switch targets. Trying to customize my character OR buy ammo and having to have a 10 second load between each choice instead of just loading it all at once. etc etc etc.

So yeah fun game just not worth the amount of hype that it has gotten in these last 10 years.

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

1L38b9c7.png

#186-Puppeteer

I have had this game in my backlog ever since it was free on Plus (which was a long time ago). I heard horror stories about the collectibles so I stayed away from it which was a big mistake.

This game was tons of fun and reminded me a lot of LittleBigPlanet. The collectibles weren't too bad (thanks to the awesome guide on this site) and I am so glad I finally played it.

Grats. Have it installed but still dancing around because of You-Know-What. (808 out of 900, so close...)

So, were the collectibles (or doing two players stuff with two controllers, if you did that) any trouble? 

oh SO4...it consumes your life :(

The collectibles were not bad with Sir-Bees guide. Keep track of it in Word though as it doesn't track your progress so if you miss something you have to do them all again to find the one you missed (sound like a game you are playing now).

I did the 2 people trophies by myself. It is "harder" but it isn't hard. Find a good grind spot and just do it over and over (sound like a game you are playing now ;P)

oh SO4...it consumes your life :(

The collectibles were not bad with Sir-Bees guide. Keep track of it in Word though as it doesn't track your progress so if you miss something you have to do them all again to find the one you missed (sound like a game you are playing now).

I did the 2 people trophies by myself. It is "harder" but it isn't hard. Find a good grind spot and just do it over and over (sound like a game you are playing now ;P)

Sure, beat it in, you are actually free from this hell. Meanwhile, I have a meeting with Bees'n'Bats club slated for tomorrow.  :rolleyes:  At least only 15k to go...

So, the collectibles also require paper and pencil apprach, hm? Actually, it is similiar... *glances at 5 printed pages of Item Creation, tucked under TV*

Sure, beat it in, you are actually free from this hell. Meanwhile, I have a meeting with Bees'n'Bats club slated for tomorrow.  :rolleyes:  At least only 15k to go...

So, the collectibles also require paper and pencil apprach, hm? Actually, it is similiar... *glances at 5 printed pages of Item Creation, tucked under TV*

Yeah the Souls and Masks are tracked but there is Actions, Wooden Shoe Drops and Hundred Sparkles you have to collect that aren't tracked. There are also upgrades and particular masks you need so you have to go back to levels so you can't just collect everything on one go (there are also 2 cases of multiple paths that have different collectibles on it).

So you best keep track AND if you don't make a checkpoint and die you may or may not lose your collectible...I wasn't overly sure if that is how it was.

• 1 month later...

1Ld670ce.png

#187-Saturday Morning RPG

Sigh...I really wanted to like this game. :(

It started out pretty good but then the humour waned and it was just reference after reference after reference without any substance. That is the problem with so many writers, they just don't know how to do parody or satire so in the end they think random references are funny.

The gameplay also leaves a lot to be desired. The stupid sticker system was a waste of time and my analog stick, the battles were all the same, I was playing on Level 50 and never had a problem in the game.

Finally the trophies. I beat the entire game and was only at level 34. That means I had to grind out 16 levels for nothing because there was nothing left to do. Why wasn't there a skip story button? Why did you have to level up so much? Why were all the sidequests just different variations of the same story?

This game was just a mediocre mess