Dr_Mayus' Prescription for Perfection

Dr_Mayus

1L055d5c.png

#106-Dragon Fantasy Book 2

If you like old school 16-bit RPGs this game is for you. It parodies games like FF6, Chrono Trigger, Link to the Past, Earthbound etc. and then has references from movies like Road House and Bill & Ted's. It is chalk full of humour, good boss fights, colourful characters and everything that is missing from recent RPGs.

There are some downfalls, the game crashes quite a lot it has certain RPG elements that aren't present in 16 bit games (not being able to buy multiple items at once, going back to the item/magic screen after every cast) but those little annoyances aside it is a fantastic game for only 10 bucks.

My big complaint is none of my stuff from the first game carried over. I spent a lot of time getting the best equipment only to have it not there this time around :(. Hopefully for the third game I will have my Lightbringer Sword :D

• 2 weeks later...

That's an impressive trophy list my friend. How did you find #93. Any tips and tricks for me?  

One of my all time favourite platinums :). Get the stealth trophies over with as fast as possible so you can enjoy the mayhem of the game :D. I know some people like trying to clean out a camp without being spotted but I had more fun with my 4 gun loadout.

Sniper Rifle to take the first couple of baddies, Shot Gun to take people out up close, Rocket Launcher for the big baddies or for incoming jeeps and finally a machine gun just in case.

The game is supposed to be nuts so have fun experimenting with the different weapons until you find the ones that work best for you and then go Rambo on everything you see.

One of my all time favourite platinums :). Get the stealth trophies over with as fast as possible so you can enjoy the mayhem of the game :D. I know some people like trying to clean out a camp without being spotted but I had more fun with my 4 gun loadout.

Sniper Rifle to take the first couple of baddies, Shot Gun to take people out up close, Rocket Launcher for the big baddies or for incoming jeeps and finally a machine gun just in case.

The game is supposed to be nuts so have fun experimenting with the different weapons until you find the ones that work best for you and then go Rambo on everything you see.

Thanks for the advice! The trophy I fear most is Toxophilite

How did you conquer that particular trophy? 

Thanks for the advice! The trophy I fear most is Toxophilite

How did you conquer that particular trophy? 

With a lot of arrows :P

Seriously I went to a place with enemies and set a marker down. Then I made sure I was 70+ miles from that marker and just kept shooting until I hit something. It took like 2 dozen arrows before I finally killed something. Make sure to go more than 70 miles because the game is very iffy about this trophy

1Le491c6.png

#107-Fallout 3

So anyone who sort of knows me knows I kind of hate most of the "popular" games. Mass Effect 2 was a tedious corridor shooter, Red Dead Redemption was a bland and boring game with an insufferable main character and an even worse story (oh yeah the online was shit too). Assassin's Creed 2 was slow paced, pretentious and it's combat was so broken it could be easily won by just mashing :square: . And finally Borderlands...there are not enough words to describe how much I detest this game,

So when I picked Fallout 3 up 3 years ago I escaped the vault, the game froze on me and I said 'well fuck this game' and moved on to bigger and better things (like Tony Hawk: Ride :P) So now that I am going through my backlog I decided to give this piece of buggy shit another chance and what do you know...I really liked it ^_^

My experience with FO3 was a lot like my experience with Far Cry 3. At first I couldn't stand either game and couldn't see what all the hype was about, and then I hit a moment a couple of hours in (It was the Blood Ties mission in Fallout) that I began to really enjoy myself. Now don't get me wrong I don't think this is the best game EVAR like a lot of people but I never found myself thinking the game was repeating itself with the missions (ala RDR, AC2 or Borderlands) and the combat always felt fresh. I specialized in Melee and Energy weapons and it was so much fun beating the shit out of Mutants and Raiders with my sledge hammer. It was fun exploring the landscape and getting all the collectables and there wasn't any stupid grinding trophies. I was already level 20 and I still had 4 or 5 missions left meaning the game gives you enough to do so you aren't left grinding the same spot over and over trying to get those last couple of levels (or last 30+ levels like in Red Dead)

The even better news is the game only froze on me 3 times and from what I have heard that is a miracle. No missions glitched on me and my only real complaint was I got stuck in things often (I would get trapped between two ledges and would either have to reload or fast travel).

So this game joins my list of Far Cry 3, Toy Story 3, Bioshock and Start the Party as games that shocked me with how fun they were.

1Le491c6.png

#107-Fallout 3

So anyone who sort of knows me knows I kind of hate most of the "popular" games. Mass Effect 2 was a tedious corridor shooter, Red Dead Redemption was a bland and boring game with an insufferable main character and an even worse story (oh yeah the online was shit too). Assassin's Creed 2 was slow paced, pretentious and it's combat was so broken it could be easily won by just mashing :square: . And finally Borderlands...there are not enough words to describe how much I detest this game,

So when I picked Fallout 3 up 3 years ago I escaped the vault, the game froze on me and I said 'well fuck this game' and moved on to bigger and better things (like Tony Hawk: Ride :P) So now that I am going through my backlog I decided to give this piece of buggy shit another chance and what do you know...I really liked it ^_^

My experience with FO3 was a lot like my experience with Far Cry 3. At first I couldn't stand either game and couldn't see what all the hype was about, and then I hit a moment a couple of hours in (It was the Blood Ties mission in Fallout) that I began to really enjoy myself. Now don't get me wrong I don't think this is the best game EVAR like a lot of people but I never found myself thinking the game was repeating itself with the missions (ala RDR, AC2 or Borderlands) and the combat always felt fresh. I specialized in Melee and Energy weapons and it was so much fun beating the shit out of Mutants and Raiders with my sledge hammer. It was fun exploring the landscape and getting all the collectables and there wasn't any stupid grinding trophies. I was already level 20 and I still had 4 or 5 missions left meaning the game gives you enough to do so you aren't left grinding the same spot over and over trying to get those last couple of levels (or last 30+ levels like in Red Dead)

The even better news is the game only froze on me 3 times and from what I have heard that is a miracle. No missions glitched on me and my only real complaint was I got stuck in things often (I would get trapped between two ledges and would either have to reload or fast travel).

So this game joins my list of Far Cry 3, Toy Story 3, Bioshock and Start the Party as games that shocked me with how fun they were.

Congrats! Glad you enjoyed Fallout Mayus, one of my all-time favorite games. Definitely enjoyable!

Congrats! Glad you enjoyed Fallout Mayus, one of my all-time favorite games. Definitely enjoyable!

Thanks, I am glad it turned out the way it did :)

Congrats on the FO3 plat. Dr. MAybe it will inspire me to replay it and try for plat. It has been about 3 years since I've touched it.

Any good guides to follow for collectibles and what not?

Yup 3 years was my time frame too :P.

Bobble Head locations. Only a couple are missable. Get the 1 in Vault 101, Don't blow up Megaton (or at least get the bobble head first) and don't miss the one in Raven Rock (2nd last story mission)

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault-Tec_bobblehead

Also don't do what I did and sell/drink your Quantum Cola until after you have done the quest. You need 30 and I had to go find an addition 12 cola's because I kept using them

• 2 weeks later...

1L9583fd.png

#108-Beyond: Two Souls

This was the game I was most excited for this year. Heavy Rain was my GOTY for 2010 as I felt it was the one game that actually immersed me in the gameplay and story.  I actually questioned the moral dilemma of shooting a drug dealer holding a picture of his kids, I felt a twinge of pain when I cut off my fingers, and I felt a sense of panic when the apartment was on fire or I was drowning in the car. I was hoping to recapture all of this when I put in David Cage's new game Beyond Two Souls...those feelings never came.

Now I am not saying Beyond is a bad game it is just it would have made a much better mini-series than a game. I have been going back and forth on whether or not I liked this game for a couple of days now and in the end I have to say that I am very disappointed and I will try to explain why.

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS

The Good

Let me start off by saying there is a lot that is good with this game. First off graphically it is beyond (I'm so punny) most games I have seen before. This is one of the prettiest games I have ever seen and just for that it is worth checking out.

Second the acting (except for the party scene but we will get to that later) is top notch. All the characters deliver their lines with real emotion and it helps you to believe in the characters. A shout out to David Coburn who plays Stan the homeless guy as his reaction to hearing his dead wife's voice actually made me tear up.

Finally the story/characters were also quite good but there were some problems with the pacing (which I will also get to later). I loved the relationship between Jodie and Aiden as we got to see it grow and fall apart over the course of the game and the player could actually see what it would be like to live with this being for 24 years. 

THIS PARAGRAPH CONTAINS SPOILERS-there was a couple of levels that really showcased that close bond and got me emotionally invested in the characters. The end of the Conductor stage (if you beat the scientists and got the key card) you blow up the conductor and Jodie thinks Aiden had vanished. Her emotional cries calling for him made me feel the angst that Jodie would be feeling. On the same note I felt her relief at the end of First Night when Cole and Nathan rushed into the room after witnessing young Jodie being attacked by the Entities and Jodie saying "it is OK now, Aiden isn't scared anymore" you knew then that for bad or good Aiden would always protect Jodie. One final scene was my favourite ending Alone, here Jodie decides to abandon everything and go off on her own to rediscover life without Aiden. She is an emotional wreck (as anyone would be after losing your partner of 24 years) and at the very end she is sitting in a hotel room and the room goes dark and on the TV "Still Here" is written and she knows that Aiden is still close by watching and protecting her.

You see there is a lot of good in the story which is why it pisses me off so much that the rest of the game fails.

The Bad

The pacing of this game was all over the map. Jodie explains why the game is out of order (because that is how her memories work as she is writing it down) but it really hurts the story telling of the game. The problem is it is hard to set a tone or get in a certain mood when the atmosphere is all over the place. First we will have the heart wrenching Homeless level where we are begging for food, giving hope to your homeless friends and delivering a baby into the world...then we are sent to the past where we get to choked our foster father, then we are running for our lives in the woods and blowing up towns, then we are in the Middle East being a CIA agent, then we are a kid again , then we are piloting an underwater sub, then we are riding in the desert on horses killing demons :unsure: ...like I said hard to get a grasp on what is happening.

It seems that the writers of the game all had something they wanted to add in and they knew because of the way the story was being told they could just throw ideas and it would fit in some way. Like some guy wanted a horse, while someone else wanted a motorcycle, while someone else wanted a forest scene, or a desert scene, or an ice world, or an underwater world, maybe Jodie is a Goth or maybe she is into grunge, or maybe she likes tye-dye or maybe she likes to dress formal...OR MAYBE STICK TO ONE IDEA AND FLESH THAT OUT INSTEAD :shakefist:

I do understand that most people do go through different periods of their life and making her a Goth chick the whole game would have been really stupid but since we were jumping time periods every 30 minutes or so it was hard to get invested in this girl's life because it changed so often. It would be like all of your picture albums falling in pile and you put the pictures back any way you liked, it would be annoying to look through the book.

The reason Heavy Rain's story worked so well was because each chapter built on the last (like a book) and would end in little cliff-hangers so you wanted to see what happened next. The game would then cut to another character leaving your anticipation of what happened to Ethan to grow until you got to see how your decision played out. Oh wait you liked making decisions for your characters and having those decisions matter...well welcome to Beyond where nothing matters.

I played through this game twice and I did my best to alter everything I did to try to get different stories to happen. It didn't matter what you did because the story plays out the exact same way (with minor tweaks that have no real bearing). The first time I did everything I could to fall in love with Ryan (despite him being a major ass), on my second play through I did everything I could to get away from Ryan (including not caring about our date, scaring him off and getting his eye gouged out) and guess what we still ended up together in the end. I would fail missions and it didn't matter they found a way to finish them without me. I saved/killed off characters and except for a little 1 second shot of them in the end it played no major part in the story. No character was ever mentioned again in the story and that is because with a disjointed timeline they couldn't mention characters because they didn't know what your decision would be (another reason that was a stupid idea).

So this is why the game should just have been a mini-series. If gameplay is pretty much non-existent and the story doesn't alter based on the gamer's input then why make a game at all?

Finally the twist ending-OBVIOUSLY THERE IS SPOILERS HERE AS WELL-I saw this coming from a mile away. Now I don't claim to be some brilliant mind that knew Rosebud was a sled or that Bruce Willis was dead the whole time. In fact the twist ending of Heavy Rain caught me by complete surprise and it was one of the reasons I loved that game so much because the whole time I kept trying to figure out whom the killer was. No, the reason I knew Beyond's twist was because they cast Willem Dafoe as Nathan. Hell I knew Dafoe was going to be the bad guy before the game even came out because Dafoe is a fucking lunatic. I actually said out loud (to myself ^_^) when I started playing "why would they cast Willem Dafoe as the caring doctor? That's the role for a guy like Kevin Spacey or Liam Neeson. Dafoe should always play a crazy person...what a stupid choice." Then at the end when Dafoe goes crazy I was like "FINALLY, that's the Willem Dafoe I know and love :lol: .

The last thing I will complain about is the Party scene AKA the worst thing to ever happen in any game. This level made me quit playing for the night and had me dreading coming back. Now I hate teenage party scenes in movies (because they are obnoxious and hard to watch) but this scene goes above all that. Now at this point in time I still thought my decisions mattered so I really tried to play the level as a teen desperately trying to fit in. I drank the beer, danced with the group, didn't take the guy's hands off my ass and was open when asked about my life. Then the gift giving scene happened and...what the fuck? I give the girl a book and all of a sudden the whole group goes ape shit and starts calling me a witch and one of them burns me with a cigarette, finally they pick me up and lock me in a closet. WHAT THE FUCK. I gave her a book of poems and that translates into torture? You can't even claim they were drunk because they had like half a beer each. So on my next play through I played it completely different. I was cold and distant, took his hand off my ass, showed off my powers and guess what they were all cool with it...until I gave her the book and once again they went ape shit and burned me and locked me in a closet :blink: ...so showing I have supernatural powers is Kool and the Gang but a book of Poems translates into WORST PERSON EVAR.

On top of that the camera control was wonky (changing perspective every time you turned around). The  "hard" setting for Aiden was annoying so I changed it to easy so I didn't give myself a migraine every time he decided to fly all over the place. The game was sequel baiting pretty hard to with that ending and for a game that is supposed to be an "interactive drama" it had a lot of gamey aspects (including collectables).

So that was a pretty long rant and I say if you like a good story or enjoyed Heavy Rain then check this game out, just lower your expectations a little otherwise you will end up like me :(.

• Like 1

Every time I see someone pan Beyond: Two Souls I try to find out if they played Heavy Rain and what they thought of that game. Because you can't really compare those games to something else like Grand Theft Auto or whatever. Of course it has too many cutscenes and too many QTEs. That's the whole basis of its gameplay. So that's why I compare the two to each other. Anyway, that review answered my questions about Beyond: Two Souls. I know that I loved Heavy Rain to death, so it looks like I need to lower my expectations for this one.

Every time I see someone pan Beyond: Two Souls I try to find out if they played Heavy Rain and what they thought of that game. Because you can't really compare those games to something else like Grand Theft Auto or whatever. Of course it has too many cutscenes and too many QTEs. That's the whole basis of its gameplay. So that's why I compare the two to each other. Anyway, that review answered my questions about Beyond: Two Souls. I know that I loved Heavy Rain to death, so it looks like I need to lower my expectations for this one.

yeah it is still good (i want to stress with that) but isnt in the same league as heavy rain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

\(^o^)/ I'VE GOT MY LAPTOP BACK \(^o^)/

smith1.gif

OK I have 1 month of platinums that I haven't put up here :D.

The+Joker+-+And+Here+We+Go.gif

1L022459.png

#109 Plants vs Zombies

The first time I played this game I didn't think much of it. Then PS+ had it on sale for Vita and I was heading to my sisters for a week so I thought "what the hell I will pick it up for the plane". I ended up really enjoying myself as the game went on and by the time I got home from my visit I was determined to platinum the game. There is a little bit of grinding involved (the stupid Zen garden) but it wasn't too bad and the game had enough difficulty (survivor mode) that it felt you earned the platinum when it was all said and done. So if you haven't tried it out yet and you want a fun game to play on the go pick this one up.

1L7c072a.png

#110-Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures

Ok I picked this game up for 1 reason...I liked the platinum image :P. I know that is a stupid reason to rent a game, but come on that is an awesome image :awesome: . In the end this ended up being a really fun 3d platformer that I have since recommended this game to several people. It is short so give it a rent, but if you have younger kids and you hate buying crappy movie tie-ins then this a great game to pick up for them.

Some small gripes of the game include the AWFUL voice acting (Pac-Man sounds like a 4 year old). The useless School. it wouldn't be so bad if you went to the school to get powerups or tutorials (you know like a school would do) but that stuff happens automatically. In the end it doesn't do anything other than house the arcade machines (which could have just been on the main menu). Finally the game defeats the purpose of Pac-Man, you can kill all the ghosts and you don't need to eat pellets. When I first played this game I was avoiding all the ghosts looking for a powerup (which made the game really hard) and I was eating all the pellets thinking that was how you beat levels (you know like Pac-Man) then I realized you can kill the ghosts and the game became too easy ^_^. They have a trophy for beating every level twice (to get all the arcade coins) but this seems stupid as they should have just added in a score attack or time attack to make you earn the coin (adding a challenge instead of just repeating the same thing twice).

Anyways those are small complaints as the actual game was a blast.

1L3cc25d.png

#111-Walking Dead Vita

Another game I picked up from PS+ for cheap. I didn't play this game right away because I wanted to platinum it on the 1 year anniversary of my PS3 platinum (lame I know). What can I say about this game that hasn't already been said. If you haven't played it yet and love a compelling story and great characters then pick this up and enjoy it.

1L6ee9fc.png

#112-Just Cause 2

Well I have had this game in my backlog for awhile and after Pac-Man and Walking Dead I wanted a bit of a challenge. Well this game was just fun and felt like a 3rd person version of Far Cry 3 (which is high praise coming from me). Well it was fun until I beat the game and realized I was only at around 30% done the game :(. So after grinding for a day and a half I got up to 75% and I couldn't imagine going for 100% completion.

If you like sandbox games and having fun then pick up JC2...just be prepared for a grind for the :platinum:

1L0e571e.png

#113-Borderlands

If you like sandbox games and not having fun then pick this game up :shakefist:

I'm sorry this game was just not for me and I do not see what the hype is all about. It took me 3 tries to beat this game over 3 years because everytime I started it up I would play for a couple of hours and remember how much I hated it. Finally my buddy played with me and the two of us together made it sort of playable because we could bitch together about how much this game sucks.

It is huge open (empty worlds) where you kill the same 2 or 3 guys over and over. The map system and fast travel system sucks as you can only fast travel to a part of the map and then you still have to run across the huge world to get to the objective. Of course there is no mini-map so you have to keep opening up the menu and scrolling over to the map to see where you are going (because the radar works for shit). "Why don't you just drive to your destination?" you ask. Well after I finish slapping some sense into you I explain that the vehicles handle like ass and it is honestly easier to just run than try to navigate the worst driving controls in a AAA game I have ever used. Also it constantly asks you to get 5 of something but the objective only shows 1 on your map. So you run all the way over to it and then the other one is across the map. So you run over to it and the third one is around where the first one was...in a game that promotes multiplayer you would think would have multiple targets so you can all work together to get it done faster but no it makes more sense for the 4 of you to run across an empty world to pick up 1 radio.

The loot is a big selling feature of the game but honestly I never needed to switch out my loadout. I found a really good Fire SMG and some kind of alien pistol and I used those two weapons for the majority of the game. So picking  up guns was just a way of making money (which by the time my second playthrough started I had more over the max amount of money).

The missions were all pretty much the same "collect 5 of this" "kill 20 of this" "find random NPC" "kill boss" and then you had to do it all again for the second playthrough so you could level up enough to get all the trophies. Well you could always play the DLC...once again I had to take a moment to slap some sense into you. I have the GOTY so I got all the DLC for free but if I had to pay for Moxie's Underdome I think I would have murdered everyone at Gearbox and 2K. 100 WAVES OF BADGUYS THAT ARE ALL THE SAME LEVEL AS YOU....WHAT THE FUCK. Oh and if you die you need to start again...and you have to do that 6 times. I used the cheap trick of playing with a low level account but then it is just a different kind of grind. Now it is taking several hours per level and there is no challenge. So either you can play the toughest challenge ever and lose or waste several hours but win. Either way it boils down to a mess of a DLC and people should be fired for thinking they could charge for that. One final point on Moxie's Underdome, I thought hearing the same "da da duh da...da da duh da" music over and over again for 3 hours with her shouting the same couple of lines every couple of seconds was banned by the Geneva convention.

I actually really liked the Dr. Ned DLC as it was faced paced with lots of enemies, good atmosphere and fun bosses but the Clap Trap DLC can go fuck itself. The DLC was actually not that bad but the grinding trophies is just stupid. Having to collect 63 random drops with no in game tracking is just stupid. How hard would it have been to make a mission to collect 15 bobbleheads. Then the game would at least track how much you needed and after you got them all you would get EXP as well as a trophy. The game is based around missions so why would they include collecting trophies that have nothing to do with missions...oh and of course as I mentioned THEY ARE RANDOM DROPS.

Anyways the game bugged out on me playing the General Knoxx mission because I didn't know if you had two missions at the same time it glitches out the game. So I can't complete it unless I find someone else to piggyback onto. So fuck 100% on this game for now, I will get it eventually.

Well anyways that is my latest 5 platinums. I am working on Tales of Xillia now and am enjoying it quite a lot. I want to get 3 more plats before the end of the year because I found out that every year I have a number of plats divisable by 4 and I want to keep that pattern going (because it looks good in my checklist :D).

1L3749c2.png
#114-Tales of Xillia

While not as good as Graces F, Xillia still was a down right fun RPG. It felt a little dumbed down in gameplay as some of the towns recycled over and over and they had the same guy yelling "Fresh Mutton" followed by a kid yelling "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy" every 5 seconds... :angry:. You couldn't equip the titles like in other Tale games and the leveling up system was a tedious process (that little animation it made every time you spent a GP was so slow I just auto-selected for every level). I also saw little difference in battle when choosing different characters so basically I just used whomever need link-grinding and left it at that. Now I played it on the third difficulty so maybe this would have mattered more on Hard or Unkown but basically everyone was just as good as the next so whatever.

Finally the trophies were tedious as well. Too much grinding in the game for pointless things. 150 Binds? 800 different loot items? Upgrading your item shop to 99 when it stops giving new items at 50. Also if you remember from my Borderlands review I had a little to say about developers adding in bullshit random aspects to their gameplay. I will now repeat it for all the new readers.

DEVELOPERS STOP ADDING IN BULLSHIT RANDOM EVENTS INTO YOUR GAME!!!!!!! THEY ARE NOT FUN AND ADD NO CHALLENGE ONLY ANNOYANCE.

The crime du jour (that's crime of the day to all my non-french speaking friends) is 75 Rare enemies fought. Now these appear randomly every now and then and some of them will run away from you and if they get far enough they escape. So after 2 playthroughs I had only encountered 22 little baddies which meant I had to keep exiting and entering an area hoping one will spawn and this took near an hour to do. It wasn't hard it was just a waste of time. These weren't even different enemies than the ones you normally fight, they were just slightly harder. Of course I had the legendary Devil weapons so all non-boss enemies took only 1 hit anyways.

So those are some nagging details but the story was good (at least until the end when I really wasn't sure what was going on...did we or didn't we want to restore the schism), the cut scene animation was gorgeous (the in game graphics were actually kind of shit) and the customization was great (I was able to create a demon warrior halfway through and I found it really funny that no one question the fact that I had red horns growing out of the front of my face or the fact that I had a third eye in the shape of a bloody rose). If you are a fan of the Tales series make sure you pick this one up, but if you are new to the series start with Graces F or wait until Symphonia to release next year because those are far better games.

1L59664d.png

#115-De Blob 2

Back when I worked for Playstation I bought this game to showcase off both Move and 3D gaming on the same TV. It was a good one to show off due to its bright colours and such but I never really played it beyond that. Well as I progress through the dark labyrinth that is my backlog I decided to finally put this game to rest.

This game is not hard but it is annoying. If you are going for the plat in one playthrough you can't upgrade which means in the later level it is 1 hit kills and no extra lives. Which means get hit and you go back. Also to S Rank levels you need to get up to a certain point value (makes sense) what is dumb though is if you miss the goal you can just grind the level changing colours on houses until you get to the score. I was down by 2000 once and I just watched some Youtube on my laptop and ground out houses until S rank unlock O_o. Also this games collectables suck. There are about 60-70 collectable per level so you will spend a majority of the time doing that. There is also a time limit so you can't really look for them too much while playing the game, but after the level is over you can spend some time finding them. Finally the game only uses a couple of buttons so most times what will kill you is the camera freaking out like it is 1996 and going in directions you don't want or you will auto-target the wrong guy and jump on a spiky hat or change colour screwing up your attack.

Wait a minute Live systems, Time limit, Horrible Camera, Not using all the buttons...this was originally a Nintendo game wasn't it.

De-Blob-US.jpg

Damn you Nintendo :shakefist: . Because of your hatred for real games you keep these bullshit archaic game conventions that aren't fun and don't make the game more challenging just annoying.

Anyways the game is very bright and colourful and is at least a 5 or 6 out of 10. The best part of the game was since I beat it in 1 playthrough and got all S rank/Collectables in one got my ending looked like this

Hypno Ray Destroyed :gold:

Inkt Smasher :gold: 

The People's Hero Reward :gold:

Nature Lover :gold: 

Totally Inspired :silver:

Every Picture :silver: 

Medal of Color :gold:

Keepin it Real :bronze:

INKT Infrormed :bronze:

Nothing But the Best :gold:

Maximum Blob :silver:

Platinum Trophy :platinum: 

:pimp:

1Le77fa8.png

#116-Venetica

So the guide made this game out to be almost impossible to platinum due to the game glitching out every 5 seconds. While this game did glitch for me (mainly not allowing me to talk to people) I was still able to save and reload my game and everything would be fixed so not that big of a deal.

Alright let's talk about the technical side of this game first. This is probably the worst game i have ever played. The graphics look like an early PS2 game, the combat mechanics is just mashing X with the ocassional dodge thrown in. The sound would just cut out, especially in dialog where people would be speaking their lines and then it would go to text and then revert back to dialog. The character had this jarring animation and it looked like she was teleporting half a step so the game was very choppy to play. Background, stairs, floors etc. would vanish and you would fall through things all the time. The objective marker on your map wouldn't always show you the right place to go and I had to constantly look at online maps to figure out what to do next. Finally it had a moral choice system that didn't change the game at all but you still had to play through it twice because the ending varies a little (she either sits on a throne or stares out the window...seriously that is it :angry: ).

So looking at all of those GLARING problems you would think I didn't like this game. I am really embarassed to admit it but I actually had a great time playing through this (the first time at least). I don't this game just worked for me and maybe all those glaring mistakes made it a "so bad it is good" type game. Anyways I have had this game in my collection for a LONG time as it was part of a 2-pack deal with Bioshock of all games (Superstore would always partner a bad game with a good game to sell off stock) and I am glad to finally be finished it.

So in the end I recommend it if you like Action RPGs but mainly to see how terrible games can get technically so you appreciate good games all the more :)

1Lf43eb2.png

#117-Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus

Well it was a no brainer I was going to plat this eventually and since PSN was having a huge sale on it I figured now would be a good time. I am glad I waited for a sale though because despite this being a very fun game, it is very short and not worth 30$ (I paid 15).

The Good

While I don't mind a series changing up the formula to keep it fresh, I do like that they went back to old school R&C for this title. The weapons (as always) were awesome and Mr. Zurkon getting a family (with funny catch phrases of their own) and a freeze gun that plays Christmas music are fantastic. The arena was once again fun and it changed its challenges enough to make you want to play through all the levels. The R&C museum was also neat to look through but I wish there was more stuff from the past in there. The Portal gun was great as was the nether puzzles, both of these changes gave the game a new twist on the gameplay and like the Clock puzzles of CiT they were a welcome change.

The Bad

Qwark was barely in the game and the fact that the last 2 games I got to play as him and now he got like 5 lines of dialog was a huge step backwards. Like I said the game is very short and I would have been a little upset if I had paid full price for this game. The main bad guy wasn't really flushed out that much and if the game had been longer we could have gotten to know her a little better. I actually liked where they were going with her but due to the time restraints we never really got invested in her struggle (yes R&C is one of the few games where I actually care about the story). The grind boots were missed but at least we got some neat gadgets to replace them.

So if you are a R&C fan pick this up but if you have never played one before I recommend the R&C collection or Crack in Time over this one.

1Lb44d08.png

#118-Soul Calibur 2

When me and my friends got together for a videogame night this was one of the staples we would pull out. I played this game so much during the gamecube days that I was afraid this version wouldn't hold up (especially after how bad 5 was). Nope I had a blast playing through this game and am glad I was able to pick it up during the sale (thanks again to wdjat for pointing that out to me :D). I can only think of two complaints about this fantastic game.

1. I had a little trouble connecting with my friend for online play. It was nothing major but it is worth mentioning.

2. Spawn and Heihachi both make it in the game (the xbox/ps2 characters) but Nintendo won't let Link join in the fray, fuck you once again Nintendo  :shakefist:  (I know Nintendo would never let Link be on Playstation and Xbox but wouldn't that have been awesome if Namco could have swung it :D)

If you like fighters and were on the fence about this remake pick it up it is a lot of fun.