Dr_Mayus' Prescription for Perfection

Dr_Mayus

1Lebf031.png

#119-Tearaway

Let me ask you a question. Do you own a Vita? If you answered YES then the next question is "Have you Played Tearaway?" If you answered No then slap yourself across the face and go buy this game now.

This, along with games like Journey and Heavy Rain, make me proud to be a Playstation owner. This game is just fantastic and has a real bittersweet story that actually got me interested in the plight of the Messenger (something a lot of big blockbuster games failed to do). The controls are tight, intuitive and really showed what the Vita can do. If I had to make a complaint about the game is that it doesn't do even all the things it should have done.

Where is the yelling, the blowing, all those cool arena levels. It seemed MM started off making a much bigger game and had to cutback for reasons unknown. I guess I am not super hurt that I don't have to yell like a spaz everytime I wanted to attack enemies but all those levels that were removed I would like to see put back in (and not as paid DLC :angry: )

Regardless, this is still an amazing game and I look forward to anything Media Molecule puts out.

• Like 1

I encountered a glitcht in tearaway that if I closed the app. my game progress would reset to 26% and send me back to the crash site. So I decided to do it without turning it off right. NOPE. the game froze on me while delivering the message. It was a good game. but I'm mad at it (trophy wise) and have banished it to the hidden game list, until I feel like giving it another shot.

I encountered a glitcht in tearaway that if I closed the app. my game progress would reset to 26% and send me back to the crash site. So I decided to do it without turning it off right. NOPE. the game froze on me while delivering the message. It was a good game. but I'm mad at it (trophy wise) and have banished it to the hidden game list, until I feel like giving it another shot.

That's really weird O_o. I rarely shut my games off (after the modnation incidents :angry: ) The only thing I could suggest (besides hiding it forever :P) is to delete and start again.

That's really weird O_o. I rarely shut my games off (after the modnation incidents :angry: ) The only thing I could suggest (besides hiding it forever :P) is to delete and start again.

I figured it was a corrupt save or something along those lines. So I've deleted the app icon and hid the list for now. I'll go back to it one day.

• 2 weeks later...

Platinums I am aiming for in 2014

Resistance 2-I need to get this before the servers close and I want to make Killing Machine #7000 so this will be first

Sports Champions 2-just 2 more gold cups and I got this Ultra Rare plat

Playstation Move Fitness-Got cheap off of PSN and good workout game

Bioshock Infinite-Free on PS+ and can't wait to play

Tales of Symphonia 1 +2-One of my favourite RPGs and an adequate sequel.

Deus Ex-Still cleaning up my backlog and I am told it is a shame that I have never played this

Carnival Island-this game will not beat me :angry:

Mortal Kombat-I loved this game and would love to have the plat as well

Mass Effect 2 and Transformer WFC-just got to beat both on Hard

Resonance of Fate and Nier-BACKLOG

Zombie Tycoon 2, Quantum of Solace, Oddworld Munch's Odyssey and Ys-the last 4 letters until I platted the Alphabet

That's it for now ^_^

It's really neat to see all of the images so large. The banners and different sections are a unique touch, too. :)

Good job on all of your platinums.

Thanks :). This year won't be as many but I am hoping to make them harder ones.

That could work :hmm:

It could :)

Boosting the ranked is very hard, and it is almost impossible to boost the 10 wins in a row. King of the hill is very easy to boost though.

Why do you have to destroy dreams :(

Thanks :). This year won't be as many but I am hoping to make them harder ones.

It could :)

Why do you have to destroy dreams :(

Don't worry! There is a work around to the 10 wins :) I couldn't do it either Dr.

The workaround is this: When you are about to lose a match, press the eject button before the match ends and you lose. You can also exit to XMB if you have the time.

I wasn't good enough to do this, so I did this and it worked. Just keep playing and beating the noobs that are noobier than you and when you find somebody too good just eject or quit to XMB and it will keep your consecutive wins.

Don't worry! There is a work around to the 10 wins :) I couldn't do it either Dr.

The workaround is this: When you are about to lose a match, press the eject button before the match ends and you lose. You can also exit to XMB if you have the time.

I wasn't good enough to do this, so I did this and it worked. Just keep playing and beating the noobs that are noobier than you and when you find somebody too good just eject or quit to XMB and it will keep your consecutive wins.

I am not a big fan of quitting to the xmb (had saves corrupted in the past) but quitting the match doesn't make you lose :o. Seems kind of broken to me? Do you know how bad the servers are now? If there are not many people hypothetically me and WFG could keep playing and quitting until we find each other 10 times :)

I am not a big fan of quitting to the xmb (had saves corrupted in the past) but quitting the match doesn't make you lose :o. Seems kind of broken to me? Do you know how bad the servers are now? If there are not many people hypothetically me and WFG could keep playing and quitting until we find each other 10 times :)

It does count if you exit through the in-game menu, but through quitting to XMB or ejecting, it registers it as a connection problem which doesn't count as a loss for either player.

Last year there was still a decent amount of players, if you play at a really dead time, it could be possible now, but Im not sure :o Good luck if you ever try and go for it :)

• Like 1

It does count if you exit through the in-game menu, but through quitting to XMB or ejecting, it registers it as a connection problem which doesn't count as a loss for either player.

Last year there was still a decent amount of players, if you play at a really dead time, it could be possible now, but Im not sure :o Good luck if you ever try and go for it :)

Thanks :). Maybe be with Injustice out right now the servers will be more empty

• 4 weeks later...

1L286b6f.png

#120-Resistance 2

I didn't think I would ever get this plat. First off I would like to thank Omnislash for kicking my ass and telling me to get harder plats and for Highway for telling me to increase my completion percentage. Both of those things led me to start cleaning up my backlog and playing tougher games. Then a thank you to Redshirt64 for teaching me the boosting method and finally to Bushpig94 for helping me boost (well when boosting actually worked...I mean out of 10000 kills I only got to boost about 2000 :( )

• Like 1

1L95e088.png

#121-Where the Wild Things Are

After Killing Machine I wanted to do a fun and fast platinum to get myself back in trophy hunting mode. Well I found this game for a dollar at my local library and seeing as I am a HUGE fan of both the book and movie I thought "what the hell." So what are my thoughts on the game?

Can someone tell Warner Bros that no one expects anything out of a movie license game. I mean games like Fight Club and Catwoman...that is what people expect out of a licensed titled. No what WB gives us is a really fun platformer with excellent voice acting and a completely original story :o. Seriously at first I was skipping the cut scenes because I assume they were just going to copy the movie and I would rather just watch the movie (with those brilliant costumes) but then they introduced the oil monsters and I realized I was getting original content. I actually went back and rewatched all the scenes I skipped because the story was that damn good.

Now if that wasn't enough they actually put effort into the game as well. Interesting power-ups (the wings, the floating flower, the ability to throw water on electric type enemies to kill them). The boat and race levels were fun and changed up the gameplay a little. Collectables that actually did something (in game cheats) as opposed to stupid concept art or in the case of Kung Fu Panda 2...nothing at all. Beautiful landscapes (that last level was incredible) and once again A GREAT FUCKING STORY. Not to spoil anything but the scene where the bull decides to stay on the island destined to his fate or when Alex sits in Max's room with the world crumbling around them are such beautiful scenes. As someone who can relate to a lot of what Max goes through as a kid this story really touched me and I feel for both Movie and Game Max and understand his pain.

So anyways what started off as an easy plat #121 turned out to be a great experience. Sure the combat could have used a little work but it was functional for what it was and having the Wild Things yell at you while you were battling enemies got a little annoying after awhile but other than that a solid B+ title.

The shame is that all the effort went into a movie-tie in game that no one is going to buy because the movie wasn't that popular. A shame really :(

1L1c4932.png

#122-Time and Eternity

This game gets a resounding MEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH from me. I didn't have incredibly high hopes going in but even then my expectations were not met. The story was fine and I actually found myself liking the characters. Sure there was a bunch of jail-bait running around in bikinis and thigh high stockings and there were sidequests where you had to discover how to breath in a shower so you can spy on naked girls better...oh yeah and the one mission that ended up with the 18 year old school girl surrounded by tentacles...no joke...but all in all it was a simple story about finding love and how love will never leave you, blah, blah, blah

Tokitowa_Fami-Shot_08-01-12_005-620x250.

No my problems with the game was the battle mechanics. If anyone caught my rants about them already they know what I am about to say but to everyone else here we go. You want to win at this game? Just hit :circle: as fast as you can. See the game sets up that there is some kind of strategy but really dodging just makes the battle go longer and it is easier to heal a lot as opposed to actually dodging. The only times I died were when the item menu decided to go back to the battle so instead of healing I just got hit again. This was because they assigned the healing menu to R2 so if you press it near the bottom of the button (like how I hold my controller) then chances are it may not stay pressed and you get killed. Besides that though there was nothing challenging about this game. By the end you are actually invincible because the game makes you level up to level 70 for a trophy and the boss actually was doing 0 against me. I beat her on New Game + at level 30 so that shows how over powered the game makes you be.

Anyways this game is a 4 or 5 out of 10. There are FAR better RPGs out there and I guess my lolicon meter is lower than most as I need more than just funny characters and story to enjoy a game (I know a lot of my cosplaying friends will disagree with me on this ^_^)

• Like 1

1L98f4cc.png

#123-Oddworld Munch's Oddysee

WARNING INCOMING RANT

So I originally got this game from Plus because I wanted an O platinum and it was ultra-rare. On top of that I REALLY love platformers so I thought "what the hell".

Now to start off with some positives this game as some good ideas. The level designs are interesting, the different playstyles of Munch and Abe is a good twist and finally things like possession is a fun gaming mechanic. Also it throws in a morality system that if done right could have given the game replay value to see how things play out.

That is where the positives end and now I am going to take those positives and tear them apart.

Level Design

I posted earlier that game developers need to ask themselves "is this a fun section and if it is not we should remove it" Well there are so many parts in this game that are just repetitive for the sake of "challenge". Like running around an open field with no enemies or obstacles picking up sheep and throwing them in a pen...about 30 times. The sheep don't run away they just stand there so the only "challenge" is it takes 2 or 3 minutes to do. Or how about placing 20 overpowered badguys in a small enclosure that take about 6 hits each but can kill you in 3 and finally make the respawn area about 30 seconds back so you have to walk/swim all the way back there. This isn't hard because you can respawn as many times as you like it just takes 10 or so minutes to beat (and yes I checked there isn't a better way of beating it). Final example you have to rescue egg crates for the best ending but to do this you have to pick each one up (there are about 20-30) and throw it into the pit that is several inches off the ground. This means that you could accidentally break a crate and have to reload your game...once again this takes 3 or 4 minutes with no enemies or obstacles to avoid.

Game Mechanics

There aren't really any. The only way to attack is to get scrubs to do it for you, possession or cans. So what happens is you get surrounded by enemies and you have to run away looking for something to fight back with. Who thought that would be fun? The Camera isn't able to do a full 360 so often times you will fall off a ledge because you didn't see there was a gap in front of you. Also there isn't a double jump so you often miss your target because abe/munch don't always jump where you want them to. This comes into play especially when trying to jump in water where Munch will just bounce off of every wall and ceiling while trying to aim him on the little ledge.

Morality System
This is the biggest joke. In most Choice games if you choose to play evil there is always a way to win the game (you just do it more evilly). In this game you need your allies to open doors or work switches so if you kill them to early you lose the level. What ended up happening to me at the beginning was I would kill the allies instantly then realize I needed them so I had to trek back to the regenerating section to bring them alive, bring them to the part I needed then trek backwards to find a cliff to throw them off...oh yeah super-villain me. The last thing is there are sometimes you cannot kill your allies because you cannot pick them up and all the enemies are dead. The first time I played the game this happened to me and I was locked out of the Super Evil ending (meaning I had to do a 4th playthrough)

Glitches

This game was famous for its glitches. Finally after a year of being out the developers fixed the trophy glitch but even then it didn't work for me. I had to delete my config save, delete the game, reinstall the game, NOT install the patch, reload my save from the patched version and then the trophy unlocked for me. This game requires 2 playthroughs and I had to do 4...and I was one of the lucky ones.

In the end I heard this series is actually pretty good and Munch's Oddysee is the black sheep of the family but then I have to ask "why did they give this one away for free?" You think they would have given one of the good ones for free to hook people on the series to make some money. Nintendo didn't remake Wand of Gamelon to sell with the 3ds, they remade Ocarina of time. They also didn't create an HD remake of Mario's Missing...because they know that game sucks.

So in conclusion this game has some good ideas, they just are not executed very well. At least I have an O platinum now :)