Shenmue & Shenmue II for PS4 Gets an August Release Date

Parker

The Shenmue and Shenmue II remasters will be released later this summer.

As detailed on Major Nelson's blog, the HD collection will come out on August 21 and will be available on Xbox One, PC, and PlayStation 4. You can pre-order the collection for $30 USD on the Microsoft Store.

The re-release will feature an updated user interface for both titles, as well as modern and classic controls, Japanese audio, and scalable screen resolutions.

Source: IGN

Shenmue is one of my favorite franchises so I can't wait to play the games again on PS4. The games are certainly very dated so it will be interesting to see how modern the "modern controls" are. Bring on Shenmue III, too!

Parker

• Like 3

This is sooner than I was expecting it to be. As is usually the case, I'll be picking this up on launch but it'll probably be a while before I play it.

They also posted an official FAQ on their website:

Which version of Shenmue II did we port?

For technical reasons we started with the Xbox source code and data. This has the advantage of some additional features missing from the Dreamcast version:

• Snapshots system
  • Filters
  • Texture mip-maps to improve anti-aliasing

As some community members will know, the Xbox does have some graphical differences to the DC version which will also be present in our version.

What features have we added?

As well as the herculean effort of porting the code to the new platforms, there is a huge number of things we have added:

• Choice of Japanese or English speech in both games
  • Saves can be carried over from Shenmue into Shenmue II on all platforms
  • Saving anywhere in both games
  • HD resolution rendering
  • Updated UI
  • New post processing effects for both games
  • Full controller support and configurable mouse and keyboard for PC users
  • Full Achievement support for both games on all platforms

What does Modern control scheme mean?

Modern control scheme means we have enabled use of the analogue stick instead of the D-Pad for movement of Ryo, as well as adding full mouse and keyboard support for PC users.

Will the games run at 60Hz?

Throughout the engine, game code and scripts there are hard coded assumptions about a fixed 30Hz frame update rate, so the game needs to run at 30Hz.

Is the game 4:3 or widescreen?

Gameplay where the player can control the camera is 16:9.

Cutscenes are letterboxed in their original formats.

Can the emulated arcade games be played?

We are pleased to announce that all the arcade games in the original are fully playable in the new release!

Who do we have to thank for this incredible work?

The amazing team at d3t.

I'm disappointed to hear that the game only runs at 30Hz but at least we're getting the Japanese voices. It's how I'm going to be playing the game.

• Like 3

Awesome.  Between already having this Shenmue I & II HD remaster pre-ordered as soon as I could (actually tried before Gamestop had it in their system so I had to go back later xD)... and the Shenmue III Kickstarter backed at the $175 printed artbook tier within hours of it opening way back when... I think I'm locked and loaded with Shenmue for months/years to come!  My tentative plan is to take a day or two off of work and binge the first game at least, if not both.  (EDIT: It comes out on a Tuesday, so maybe I'll take that Wed-Fri off and really do it right.)

No more jimmy'ing around with half working Dreamcast emulators for this milk-drinking sailor-finding forklift racer. :)

Edited by Dreakon13

On 7/4/2018 at 6:08 AM, Nexuds121 said:

I never try out Shenmue 1 and 2 before. This looks pretty good.

It's better then good, It's a lifestyle ?

Honestly though, they are both great games and for those  who played a long time ago the wait for Shenmue 3 has been horrible.

• 4 weeks later...

Ever since I watched my brother playing a II demo on xbox years ago, I have wanted to be able to play these games. Was never going to by another console just for it so I let it go. This it literally one of the only remasters i'm excited about for PS4. Can't wait to finally play them after all these years 

• Like 1

I popped into my local store where I have it pre-ordered but I asked for it to be posted as I was told they get sent early to ensure they arrive on time, I am just hoping for a day early, that would be lovely.

Really looking forward to my Kickstarter limited edition PS4 version of Shenmue III the most with all the goodies in what should be a decent sized box.

• 3 weeks later...