Actual Name as PSN ID. Safe or Risky?

Using your Real Name as your actual PSN ID.   

265 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still use your actual name as your psn id?

• Yes, I don’t mind it.
    • Yes, but I wouldn’t if I could change it.
    • No.
    • I used to, but not anymore.

I’ve seen quite a few people’s ids and are their Actual real life names. Sometimes entire first and last names. Heck, sony’s ID suggestion thing even “suggests” these types of names when creating an account even though it’s clearly against their ToC. Did you create your PSN ID using your real name and if so, why? WhAt are thedrawbacks or benefits, if any? 

Edited by kitty_sullivan
  • Like 1

How would you separate your first and last name since "space" is not allowed in the name entry? ? (except for dashes and underscores). 

Besides I don't really see the point since you can set "show my real name" in settings.

Actually. When you go change your name, it tells you very specifically I remember that you can choose whatever you like. If you sign into your SEN account your real name is still there. But there is another secction that has the name you show people if you choose to show your real name or close friend requests. I personally have no problem showing my real name. I aint afraid of no men in blacks coming to kill me because I wont play for their organization. But i understand some people care for privacy. These days everyone wants to have privacy everything but still want people to follow them or wants attention. Notice the status updates? 

edit: ohhh just realize you mean real names in their actual PSN id.. LOL....yeah those are kinda stupid. Definitely a noob to gaming. Most gamers would know to create a cool id tag/handle.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

9 minutes ago, ElBolovo said:

It's such a bad idea. Just in the past month playing Gran Turismo Sports I ran with a very disloyal driver who advertised his own, real racing career, in post race messages and the other day I got with a squabble with anothee dude who used his real name. I got curious, searched for his name and the dude was one of these guys who overshared everything on Facebook, including HIS SON SCHOOL. If they are unlucky to mess with the wrong people, they really facilitated someone to make a dossier against the pro driver or harass the oversharing dude

This right here is whT I’d be worried of.

I allow searching for PSN ID via my real name, is that what you mean? Otherwise, lolno, but it would be cool to have Prime as a last name xD 
Honestly wouldn't mind having jaeson_cuculic as my PSN ID though, a couple friends have their IRL names as id's..

13 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

I aint afraid of no men in blacks coming to kill me because I wont play for their organization. But i understand some people care for privacy.

Bruh, i'm sending black helicopters to your house right now, teach you to talk shit in online forums again ^_^ bahahaha 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DARKB1KE said:

Who cares?  Anybody can find your real name on the internet anyways and when you become a professional and have a job, your real name is out there. 

This is true. I’m a published writer. I quit using a pen name when I took over a newspaper company a few years back. 

11 minutes ago, patrickogorman19 said:

What about If someone else did you psn user name

True, someone is using my name as a psn Id. My original psn from back in 2009 was a variation of my real name. If you were to search for me on Facebook, you’d have to sift through a couple hundred accounts and no, kitty is not my real name and no, Sullivan isn’t my last name, just saving you the trouble

Edited by kitty_sullivan

26 minutes ago, kitty_sullivan said:

This is true. I’m a published writer. I quit using a pen name when I took over a newspaper company a few years back. 

I dunno why but when i read that you made me remember the game dev for Dishonored series, he also wrote a book :giggle: (not about Dishonored tho)

2 minutes ago, BG_painter said:

I dunno why but when i read that you made me remember the game dev for Dishonored series, he also wrote a book :giggle: (not about Dishonored tho)

Lol. I’m pretty sure that game dev would’ve picked a better name than kitty sullivan.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kitty_sullivan said:

Lol. I’m pretty sure that game dev would’ve picked a better name than kitty sullivan.

He used his real name. :giggle: Apparently the book is also semi-autobiographical. Some ppl really don't care about posting info online I'm a little cautious. I had one online stalker and one real stalker in the past... so sometimes I am uneasy about it.

To be fair, I did try to have my PSN ID be my fairly unique and misspelled (thanks mom) first name but it was already taken as well as any variants of it. :dunno: I just wanted to be referred to as my real name and not as a fake name when chatting with people.

I don't think it's that huge of deal as long as you're over 18. The chances of people actually linking your PSN ID with you in real life is actually very slim because you don't know if that's actually a person's real name. Plus, without any other information, it'll be hard to narrow down if that's the person you're looking for. Now, if there was other information available like a location, that would make it alot easier. If I'm trying to stalk someone, however, a name match wouldn't automatically make me think I was successful. (I don't stalk people however, just FYI)

I find websites like this actually alot more dangerous because you get location, hobbies, birthday and alot of other information points from it that are easily connectable under a single PSN ID that's really hard to change. Some people don't post any personal-y information, but alot of people do mention schools, narrowed-down location, programs, dates of graduation/marriage/etc. and that makes it even easier to find someone. 

• Like 3

I NEVER use my real name as my PSN name. The internet world is ridiculously crazy and before you know it, some hack could use your info and mess up your name, credit, record with the law, etc. There’s way too many variables that comes with using your name as a PSN name or a GamerTag name. You’re much better off not doing that at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

Just seems risky and stupid to me. 

yeah very risky, using since 2010. people often come to my house to murder me because of that...LOL

never happened anything. no reason to be afraid

stop saying BS guys come on 

No problem at all using real name, actually for some reasons its better. for example: My friend is a top streamer and having is PSNID as his name gave him more credibility and easier to grow as a streamer...everyone knows him bcz of last name

• Like 3

I previously used my real name as my PSN ID and to be honest, I couldn't care less. It would be very naive of someone to think that people need to know your real name in order to gain information about you online. If someone with half a brain cared enough, they could quite easily pull up information about you within minutes. However, I'm not one of those idiots that has my social media accounts set to public for anyone to view. As mentioned before, I think you're just asking for trouble if you allow strangers to look through everything that you've posted on your account. This is even worse if you happen to have an uncommon name, as it takes less time to find the account that you're looking for. As long as you aren't causing trouble online, I'd say that you shouldn't worry too much. 

• Like 3

RJP is my initials, its just... stuck with me for usernames lol. idk people make things sound terrifying these days, which the direction and how a lot of things go these days certainly are. i can say though i'm not fully informed on some of these concerns, like identity. thankfully i'm mostly a lowkey type of person.