Actual Name as PSN ID. Safe or Risky?

Using your Real Name as your actual PSN ID.   

265 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still use your actual name as your psn id?

• Yes, I don’t mind it.
    • Yes, but I wouldn’t if I could change it.
    • No.
    • I used to, but not anymore.

I don't like it when people use their real name as their PSN ID, unless it has a nice ring to it. But then there are people who are recognized for their real names in other areas, such as sports. The one that I love (even though it's not the person's real name) is Scott Sterling :awesome::

What I don't like to see when someone makes a PSN name is the small x big x and that alternate back and forth, or some variant of it, along with a few dashes and some underscores, or some other bullshit symbol. Ain't nobody got time for that!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RJP_X said:

RJP is my initials, its just... stuck with me for usernames lol. idk people make things sound terrifying these days, which the direction and how a lot of things go these days certainly are. i can say though i'm not fully informed on some of these concerns, like identity. thankfully i'm mostly a lowkey type of person. 

RJP is actually a thing! Theres even Urban dictionary thing. but I google RJP Rhode Islands, nothing show up, your good. No worries.

38 minutes ago, ivangutjahr said:

yeah very risky, using since 2010. people often come to my house to murder me because of that...LOL

never happened anything. no reason to be afraid

stop saying BS guys come on 

No problem at all using real name, actually for some reasons its better. for example: My friend is a top streamer and having is PSNID as his name gave him more credibility and easier to grow as a streamer...everyone knows him bcz of last name

I'm paranoid, OK? :P 

1 hour ago, Teslacron_Prime said:

Bro, Kitty Sullivan is noir af, I have to name someone after you now bahaha xD 

What do you mean by: Noir?

1 hour ago, Teslacron_Prime said:

Bro, Kitty Sullivan is noir af, I have to name someone after you now bahaha xD 

It’s all good. It’s not my real name. I’m in fact a dude. Despite the confusion my PSN ID can sometimes cause. It’s a Monsters Inc reference. Boo always referred to James Sullivan as Kitty!

20 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Yeah... Sony warning you not to use personal information for your PSN ID, and then actively suggesting variations of your first and last name for your ID is hilarious.

It's hard to say. I think using your last name is a bad idea. Even if it's common, that's the part of your name that you should keep private. Even if 99.9% of the people you come across couldn't care less what your name is, it's probably not worth the risk for that 0.1% that have other intentions.

That said, I actually like when people use first names in their handles. Even if they aren't using their real name, I'd rather refer to other players as Jim or Mary than SNIPERELITEX or KILLA13.

When you're an adult, in a room with other adults, you'll understand why.

It’s just odd, we give total strangers our real names when meeting in real life and shaking hands, But online, we try to keep it a secret. 

2 minutes ago, Milktastrophe said:

Because it sounds like a girl's name who would be in a noir film: a blonde who walks into a private detective's office and causes him nothing but trouble and he knows it, but he takes her case anyway.

I see.  Clearly when I created my ID I didn’t perceive anyone would think it was a girls name. Lack of judgement on my part lol. Oh well, hopefully we get name changes soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teslacron_Prime said:

LOL what @Milktastrophe said.. But I know you're a dude. Check the PM. Kitty Sullivan, Investigator. Journalist. Vet. Has a ring ^_^ 

Haha if you can spin that into a story then I’ll be the first to proofread it for you!

36 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Yeah... Sony warning you not to use personal information for your PSN ID, and then actively suggesting variations of your first and last name for your ID is hilarious.

It's hard to say. I think using your last name is a bad idea. Even if it's common, that's the part of your name that you should keep private. Even if 99.9% of the people you come across couldn't care less what your name is, it's probably not worth the risk for that 0.1% that have other intentions.

That said, I actually like when people use first names in their handles. Even if they aren't using their real name, I'd rather refer to other players as Jim or Mary than SNIPERELITEX or KILLA13.

When you're an adult, in a room with other adults, you'll understand why.

I understand that. Sometimes I use my other account @Christof1617 because iD rather be called Christof instead of kitty sometimes.

People that read my PSNID think that'sy real name lol. 

SyumiSan isn't. It's just a name made up for myself with my high school friends and stuck with me since. Has a nice ring to it lol. The name actually has a hyphen but it isn't allowed so yea lol.

• Like 1

Sure I'll use my real name and just hand out my bank details on the street corner while I'm at it cause why not.

Seriously though, no would never use my real name as a PSN ID. It's a bit risky and I'd rather err on the side of caution.

• Like 1

I don't think it's that risky. Your name isn't censored or hidden in real life. Sure, someone could stalk you but they could do that if you work in the same place or go to the same school. You can see much more than someone's real name on Facebook anyway like when people comment on public posts such as PlayStation's so I think it's better to keep everything on social media secure in case someone were to look you up.

• Like 3

On 7/3/2018 at 11:00 PM, ivangutjahr said:

yeah very risky, using since 2010. people often come to my house to murder me because of that...LOL

never happened anything. no reason to be afraid

stop saying BS guys come on 

No problem at all using real name, actually for some reasons its better. for example: My friend is a top streamer and having is PSNID as his name gave him more credibility and easier to grow as a streamer...everyone knows him bcz of last name

It can be, I can't currently find the article about it, but a 40 something man got pissed at someone over call of duty and showed up at their house to kill them 

I wouldn’t - not necessarily for security, but simply because HR departments of companies google candidate’s names before offering jobs.

As much as we all know gaming is a legit hobby, no more infatile than TV or Film, and isn’t just for the old cliche of the spotty, basement-dwelling man-child, some Love-Island watching, 9-5 working, bleached-blonde HR disco-tart likely won’t.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3