Actual Name as PSN ID. Safe or Risky?

Using your Real Name as your actual PSN ID.   

265 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still use your actual name as your psn id?

• Yes, I don’t mind it.
    • Yes, but I wouldn’t if I could change it.
    • No.
    • I used to, but not anymore.

Gamers are a petty, spiteful, childish bunch.  If Dreakon13 is the name I choose to use as my gaming persona, I want my full real name in no way associated with it.  Maybe my first name, maybe my initials, sometimes a completely fake name... but never my full real name.  Whether it's for legit security reasons, or just privacy from the riff-raff that call themselves gamers these days.  I don't see why anyone would actually want to put that info out there.

To the people who claim "they can just get your info some other way anyways"... I'd be interested to know how.  I never use Dreakon13 as a profile name on social media where I'd feel compelled to use my full name (job resume sites or LinkedIn, for example).  Granted I've been using that name for 17 years now so maybe I slipped up once or twice... the fact PSN even allows you to display your real name or possibly has certain things turned on by default is absurd to me, who knows maybe I didn't set something up right there and you can see it easily.  If people can somehow find my full name connected to it though, kudos to them.  At this point in my life I feel no need to advertise it.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

It can be, I can't currently find the article about it, but a 40 something man got pissed at someone over call of duty and showed up at their house to kill them 

That man knew the kid he assaulted personally and literally just walked down the street to his house. He didn't look up where he lived on the internet based on his PSN ID or anything like that. Article

Edited by NathanielJohn

19 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

To the people who claim "they can just get your info some other way anyways"... I'd be interested to know how.  I never use Dreakon13 as a profile name on social media where I'd feel compelled to use my full name (job resume sites or LinkedIn, for example).  Granted I've been using that name for 17 years now so maybe I slipped up once or twice... the fact PSN even allows you to display your real name or possibly has certain things turned on by default is absurd to me, who knows maybe I didn't set something up right there and you can see it easily.  If people can somehow find my full name connected to it though, kudos to them.  At this point in my life I feel no need to advertise it.

On your profile there is already a birthdate and a general location. All someone needs is a state or time zone (which could probably be narrowed down through frequent activity) and a first name (which is harder, but people usually slip up somewhere) and they can probably narrow it down from there since they already know your main hobby and there's literally over a thousand posts of potential information points connected with your username. Some people even allude to family members, occupations, etc. on the forums which would make it even easier to narrow it down. If someone goes through all this work, they either have sketchy intentions or they have too much free time, but I don't put it past what people are capable of, especially since our PSNP forum profiles are now public.

Always go in with the attitude that your not anonymous on the web. That doesn't mean you have to advertise your full name and everything, but don't do anything you wouldn't want connected to yourself.

For PSN, there's an option to allow close friends of your close friends see your real name (and profile picture if you have it set up) which barely no one turns off and I find unsettling. I'm okay with close friends seeing my name, but who knows who their close friends are. Some people also have a fake name as their close friends name so they invite everyone to be their close friend, and then suddenly everyone can see everyone else's name and picture without even knowing them.

1 hour ago, NathanielJohn said:

That man knew the kid he assaulted personally and literally just walked down the street to his house. He didn't look up where he lived on the internet based on his PSN ID or anything like that. Article

Wasn't talking about that one, this one happened a year or two ago and they were both adults

If I had known that my PSN ID was going to be a forever thing when I made my account first getting my PS3 all those years ago I would have put alot more thought into it thats for sure lol.  At the time I just wanted to get it fired up and start gaming so just quickly chose a really stupid name which I'm now stuck with, but ah well it's not like it affects my gaming in any way or has the slightest impact on my life.  Anyone using their real name is their call and honestly I really would't know why anyone would give a shiny shit lols.

Still though there is NO WAY I would ever use my full name!  Besides my surname which is Rupert-Cuthbert-Winthorpe-Larry IIV is just far too long.

• Like 2

I wouldn't just because I'm unrealistically paranoid. I wouldn't mind my first name though. Also, This is hilariously accurate because I had a job interview only a month ago, and this is exactly what the HR lady looked like. I could just imagine the dirty look she would of given me had she found I spend my spare time playing video games rather than catching up on the latest episodes of Keeping Up With the Kardashians

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I wouldn’t - not necessarily for security, but simply because HR departments of companies google candidate’s names before offering jobs.

As much as we all know gaming is a legit hobby, no more infatile than TV or Film, and isn’t just for the old cliche of the spotty, basement-dwelling man-child, some Love-Island watching, 9-5 working, bleached-blonde HR disco-tart likely won’t.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Neocarleen said:

Risky or not, it’s just boring? Why not be a little creative when making your username?

i used my first name prefaced with “neo”, which means new or revived form. So like, the new me. 

I might have to make a new PSN. I like that idea. Hmmm how much to I love my trophies.......

I keep my surname a secret but my first name Lava is my real name. Yuki is mi nickname that all my friends in Japan called me when I used to live there (and they still do), so I use Lava Yuki for everything.  

I live in the UK now, and fraud is huge. I've had two colleagues that got their identities stolen and bank accounts drained, so they had to cancel all cards, close accounts and redo everything from ground up: reopening accounts, setting up all the utility bills, phone contracts, changing workplace account info, reapplying for bank cards .... it all took weeks to do. Also with all the negative news from cities like London and Manchester, it's gone up. 

I shred everything with my name on it, even a simple letter. I also never give my real birth year, and on sites where you have to fill it in, I just use the year of my younger brother or something. 

11 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I wouldn’t - not necessarily for security, but simply because HR departments of companies google candidate’s names before offering jobs.

As much as we all know gaming is a legit hobby, no more infatile than TV or Film, and isn’t just for the old cliche of the spotty, basement-dwelling man-child, some Love-Island watching, 9-5 working, bleached-blonde HR disco-tart likely won’t.

Do you work in tech? Because this has generally been untrue in my experience and you're expected to be a gamer to some degree when working in certain disciplines.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Not true in the least. The average gamer isn't some kid anymore, and with such considerable numbers in professional positions it's actually better to be one now.

19 minutes ago, SnowVixen said:

Do you work in tech? Because this has generally been untrue in my experience and you're expected to be a gamer to some degree when working in certain disciplines.

Finally someone talking sense. So many facepalms >.< 

20 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

On your profile there is already a birthdate and a general location. All someone needs is a state or time zone (which could probably be narrowed down through frequent activity) and a first name (which is harder, but people usually slip up somewhere) and they can probably narrow it down from there since they already know your main hobby and there's literally over a thousand posts of potential information points connected with your username. Some people even allude to family members, occupations, etc. on the forums which would make it even easier to narrow it down. If someone goes through all this work, they either have sketchy intentions or they have too much free time, but I don't put it past what people are capable of, especially since our PSNP forum profiles are now public.

Always go in with the attitude that your not anonymous on the web. That doesn't mean you have to advertise your full name and everything, but don't do anything you wouldn't want connected to yourself.

For PSN, there's an option to allow close friends of your close friends see your real name (and profile picture if you have it set up) which barely no one turns off and I find unsettling. I'm okay with close friends seeing my name, but who knows who their close friends are. Some people also have a fake name as their close friends name so they invite everyone to be their close friend, and then suddenly everyone can see everyone else's name and picture without even knowing them.

Like the old saying goes, you can do anything if you set your mind to it.

That being said, what you're suggesting seems like a stretch.  If someone takes even the slightest bit of consideration to not link their gaming alias to their personal information, it becomes very difficult for the layman to track.  I don't think a time zone and a first name is enough to find somebody.  Or even a birth date.  Hell I've even Google'd my full name and despite being somewhat unique, there's actually a more reputable person with my name walking around.

Though ultimately I agree with you, there's no reason to link personal information to a gaming alias... especially your full name.  There's a lot more to lose, than there is to gain.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Like the old saying goes, you can do anything if you set your mind to it.

That being said, what you're suggesting seems like a stretch.  If someone takes even the slightest bit of consideration to not link their gaming alias to their personal information, it becomes very difficult for the layman to track.  I don't think a time zone and a first name is enough to find somebody.  Or even a birth date.  Hell I've even Google'd my full name and despite being somewhat unique, there's actually a more reputable person with my name walking around.

Though ultimately I agree with you, there's no reason to link personal information to a gaming alias... especially your full name.  There's a lot more to lose, than there is to gain.

For some people it's a stretch, but I know for a fact that all someone needs is my first name and my state and I show up on the first page of Google. Take all the other information available about me and it's pretty easy to confirm my identity, but even that isn't necessary. I think the important thing is to be aware of what information is public about you and what information you'll revealing and if your comfortable with people making those connections.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

No, I don’t, I work in industrial engineering, and, like many older industries, stereotyping is still rife. 

Nope, not true. Sorry, but I’m not just plucking my opinions out my ass, they are based on 15 years working in the private sector and seeing first hand evidence of these dumb prejudices and the idiotic, purile reasons that candidates can be passed over for. 

It doesn’t matter if your potential gaffer, or the office manager, or the CEO are all gamers - which, you are quite right, they might well be nowadays - the point is that they are not going to be in a position to even take a look at your CV until it has been through a vetting process first, and those processes are done by HR.  Generally by a 27 year-old, make-up and lip-filler obsessed, benidorm and magaluf visiting, ‘Only Way is Essex’ watching fool, who think that gamer = no social life = wierdo = lower on the CV pile.

Normally I’d just not engage in an argumentative back and forth on here, as I’m sure you will simply dig your heels in (not a personal attack, just the way of the internet!) - but there are a lot of users of this forum still in school/ college/ university etc. and understanding the difference between the working world they would like to think is out there waiting for them and the one that actually is is important, particularly now, in the age of google and social media, where everything you have ever said, done, enjoyed and disliked are available for the world to see.

Unfortunately, in much of the corporate world,  being a gamer is still a bit like having tattoo’s - a huge percentage of folks have them, most folks would think it was ridiculous to use having them against a candidate for a job, and no one who is hiring will actually admit that they are the reason why they passed a candidate over, but keeping them hidden is still the best way to ensure you get hired - and you can argue until you are blue-in-the-face that that isn’t fair (and you’ll be 100% right) but you still won’t have the job you wanted at the end of it.

I generally view nothing on the internet as a personal attack, so no worries, but that reply was actually commendable. Given my field (software engineering) vs Industrial, I can appreciate your position on this. And the tattoo scenario is identifiable to some. That being said, I cannot personally identify with any fraction of these arguments, but will not offer counter points at the risk of others shit posting on either.  Thank you for taking the time to articulate a response, and not simply shovel garbage. -Jaeson

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Teslacron_Prime said:

I generally view nothing on the internet as a personal attack, so no worries, but that reply was actually commendable. Given my field (software engineering) vs Industrial, I can appreciate your position on this. And the tattoo scenario is identifiable to some. That being said, I cannot personally identify with any fraction of these arguments, but will not offer counter points at the risk of others shit posting on either.  Thank you for taking the time to articulate a response, and not simply shovel garbage. -Jaeson

Lol - Good Lord- we just had an actual, adult conversation about an honest disagreement on an internet forum and it didn’t decend into a bun-fight... 

I might print this off and have it framed... ?

• Like 1