Actual Name as PSN ID. Safe or Risky?

Using your Real Name as your actual PSN ID.   

265 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still use your actual name as your psn id?

• Yes, I don’t mind it.
    • Yes, but I wouldn’t if I could change it.
    • No.
    • I used to, but not anymore.

I use my first name within my PSN ID, but I also had plenty of people from PSN added on Facebook when I was more active there, so I know quite a few people's real names. I'm not afraid of what people who know me on PSN might do with my personal information, because I don't really go asking for trouble. We're on the internet, where people are just going to give you a death threat over the most minor shit but for the most part they're a keyboard warrior who couldn't fight for shit in a real situation. 

My own full name is easily identifiable, but when you have James_Smith as a PSN ID, nobody's gonna find you when there are literally millions of people with that name, so it also kind of depends how common your real name is, most people in the UK share a full name with thousands of people in the same country. 

Edited by BlindMango

38 minutes ago, Sergen said:

I use my first name within my PSN ID, but I also had plenty of people from PSN added on Facebook when I was more active there, so I know quite a few people's real names. I'm not afraid of what people who know me on PSN might do with my personal information, because I don't really go asking for trouble. We're on the internet, where people are just going to give you a death threat over the most minor shit but for the most part they're a keyboard warrior who couldn't fight for shit in a real situation.

I always get a kick out of people on Facebook who are just there to put others down.

Honestly, it's fine. There might be several other people with the same name as yours, there isn't really an easy way to get all your info directly through a PSN ID. The only risk is if your PSN ID is similar to your email ID. For eg : Your ID is kitty_sullivan. If your email is something similar like [email protected] , that could 'cause problems if you haven't setup proper security measures for your email account.

15 hours ago, IntenseFATE98 said:

Honestly, it's fine. There might be several other people with the same name as yours, there isn't really an easy way to get all your info directly through a PSN ID. The only risk is if your PSN ID is similar to your email ID. For eg : Your ID is kitty_sullivan. If your email is something similar like [email protected] , that could 'cause problems if you haven't setup proper security measures for your email account.

Well thanks for posting my email...dang it!  Just kiddongkidding

On 06/07/2018 at 0:35 AM, SoberNSane said:

You mean you're really not Johnny Depp?1f622.png There goes that theory....1f60e.png Every time I see Jack Nicholson's face I wonder if its him too.

But then sometimes people use their real picture...Might wanna sleep with a gun under your pillow....

And hopefully females never use their real name. Although I did use my real name for my first PSN that I was signing up for the kids, just not knowing any better at the time. I've since abandoned it and set it to private.

Unfortunately not I just wear his face, own his millions and a sweet private island. Oh it's definitely Jack Nicholson, he's an old school gamer.

Got bodyguards for such people so should be right. Lol well at least you've learnt and played it safe.

• Like 1

On 9 July 2018 at 7:04 AM, SoberNSane said:

Ha ha yeah and your bdays are a few decades apart....the real Johnny Depp is probably using your photo as his avatar....1f604.png

Pretty risky for a celebrity to use their real name, btw - loss of privacy.....same as anybody else that does it. This incognito mode is perfect for identifying with video games. I don’t know why anyone would want to carry over their real life and persona into gaming since gaming is the perfect reality break.

Lol but different birthdays could part of the cover. Ha ha ha yeah, that'll help him avoid detection.

For sure. Yeah and you can't have a break if you bring reality into the picture.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

On 7/4/2018 at 5:59 AM, DARKB1KE said:

Who cares?  Anybody can find your real name on the internet anyways and when you become a professional and have a job, your real name is out there. 

It's true, especially if you are in Programming, or Design, you'll get your irl name all around the internet.

On 7/4/2018 at 7:00 AM, ivangutjahr said:

No problem at all using real name, actually for some reasons its better. for example: My friend is a top streamer and having is PSNID as his name gave him more credibility and easier to grow as a streamer...everyone knows him bcz of last name

I wish I could continue to use my real life first name and last name in my PSN. But my account was blocked due to Term of Service regarding PSN ID Rules after reporting.

I didn't know that using a real name or part of it, is not possible and against the rules.

Quote:

• "It is recommended that players do not create Online IDs that might personally identify themselves to others. Using any part of your name in an Online ID is a violation of the User Agreement made when setting up an account."

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/my-account/access-and-details/information-about-your-online-id/

• 1 month later...

I personally rather have some sort of avatar name than my actual name. If you use your actual name might be a risk for your real name account. But more of a preference for me.

2 hours ago, Sega-Ryudo said:

The more Danger I see is that some Player use their birthdate in their names.

Yeah using the whole date is a bit risky. That being said I've got my day & month of birth in my PSN name. But my real name and birth year aren't attached to the account so it's fine.

Personally I wouldn't advise it. I don't put my real name anywhere on the internet, the name I even use on my PSN is not even my real one ( the naming option ). Not worth the risk, plus I've met some psychos in my years online. I really guess though it's dependent how private you are as a person, I'm pretty private, so it's nothing I would want to put up in something that can be easily viewed to the public.

As a reply to the topic abut Actual Name ID.

"It's a great way to get free Pizza and stuff! I wouldn't recommend it!"

Being anonymous online is always an issue that have both positives and negatives about it.

Many consider names and last names personal information online but offline it's something they toss around willy nillily and the risks is equally high I would imagine.

It's all numbers, social security, ID's in the real world to identify people, why not use letters and numbers to do the same thing Online?

If you have close friends they'll know your name anyway even if you got a pseudonym online!

On PSN you can always use "Real name" thing with close friends to get better connections, so that might be a good "in the middle" for people :)

Personally I wouldn't use my real name online because I don't know you, that is all there is too it.

On 7/3/2018 at 10:30 PM, Skadoki said:

How would you separate your first and last name since "space" is not allowed in the name entry? 1f914.png (except for dashes and underscores). 

Besides I don't really see the point since you can set "show my real name" in settings.

You just answered your own question ??.

• 4 years later...

No I wouldn’t use my real name with anything to do with gaming. And this is nearly 100% down to the fact I wouldn’t want anybody irl to be able to look at my gaming history. Not for any security or personal data reasons. No one has a clue about how much time I’ve sunk into games, how much cash I’ve spent on new games etc etc. Don’t want anyone irl to have the chance to snoop around my psn profile. I like the fact very much that gaming life is completely separate to real life....some people irl wouldn’t even know I own a PlayStation. I like that lol.

edit: sorry for bringing up an old thread, I only just realised this was from 2019. Not sure how or why I ended up on it

Edited by PotrikBerger
Apology