Yakuza Real-Life Locations Tour - A Comparison of Kabukicho & Kamurocho, Tokyo

TheElecPlay

Fantastic, I love Japan and have been to these places including osaka dotonbori and Saporro though that's not in the vid. If you're playing Yakuza 5 and see the Sega arcade in Osaka? It's definitely there. In any case Sega has done such a fine job with these games and locations it's great to see western releases.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2018 at 1:14 PM, Valyrious said:

One of the best things about the Yakuza games. I'll give them a watch later!

Appreciate it @Valyrious

On 04/07/2018 at 1:10 PM, Z1MZUM said:

Fantastic, I love Japan and have been to these places including osaka dotonbori and Saporro though that's not in the vid. If you're playing Yakuza 5 and see the Sega arcade in Osaka? It's definitely there. In any case Sega has done such a fine job with these games and locations it's great to see western releases.

I'd love to visit Osaka Dotonbori one day. My goal is to eventually do a Kenzan/Ishin Locations Tour as well as Okinawa (Yakuza 3) and the cities featured in Yakuza 5 (Osaka, Nagoya, Sapporo, Fukuoka) and the quiet port of Onomichi in Yakuza 6 (Hiroshima). All in due time.

Edited by noahez92
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, noahez92 said:

Appreciate it man. 

I'd love to visit Osaka Dotonbori one day. My goal is to eventually do a Kenzan/Ishin Locations Tour as well as Okinawa (Yakuza 3) and the cities featured in Yakuza 5 (Osaka, Nagoya, Sapporo, Fukuoka) and the quiet port of Onomichi in Yakuza 6 (Hiroshima). All in due time.

Here's a photo I took in Dotonbori it literally blew my mind when arriving there, the details that Sega added are remarkable. The same can be said for saporro.

DSCN0686.jpg

This is from Yakuza 5 though a few buildings closer.

yakuza-5-osaka-2.jpg

Edited by Z1MZUM
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Here's a photo I took in Dotonbori it literally blew my mind when arriving there, the details that Sega added are remarkable. The same can be said for saporro.

DSCN0686.jpg

This is from Yakuza 5 though a few buildings closer.

yakuza-5-osaka-2.jpg

Terrific photo, @Z1MZUM. I'd love to visit Dotonbori one day.

Edited by noahez92
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, noahez92 said:

Terrific photo, Z1MZUM. I'd love to visit Dotonbori one day.

When you do visit, Don't miss Denden town. It's a gamers paradise which imo is better then Akiharbara. Also, If you dream on going then you will one day without doubt unless you're name is

Satoshi Ookami since they once said they'd never return ;)

Just now, Z1MZUM said:

When you do visit, Don't miss Denden town. It's a gamers paradise which imo is better then Akiharbara. Also, If you dream on going then you will one day without doubt unless you're name is

Satoshi Ookami since they once said they'd never return ;)

Whenever I go to Tokyo, going to Akihabara is like a gamers pilgrimage. I must say I haven't heard of Denden before until you mentioned it. I'll definitely check out some articles and videos. 

1 minute ago, noahez92 said:

Whenever I go to Tokyo, going to Akihabara is like a gamers pilgrimage. I must say I haven't heard of Denden before until you mentioned it. I'll definitely check out some articles and videos. 

Oh I definitely like Akiharbara though it's a bit tricky finding your way around imo. I did buy a Vita there at the "Hard Off" a few years back and a tonne of Saturn titles though the highlight was the guy dressed as Mario flying past on a Mario Kart every few minutes. I also lost quite a few yen on a claw machine in the Sega arcade trying to grab a ff7 Cactus statue. In any case your Video link has inspired me to play Yakuza Zero through to 6 over the next few moths, Hell I'll play Ishin while I'm at it.

23 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Oh I definitely like Akiharbara though it's a bit tricky finding your way around imo. I did buy a Vita there at the "Hard Off" a few years back and a tonne of Saturn titles though the highlight was the guy dressed as Mario flying past on a Mario Kart every few minutes. I also lost quite a few yen on a claw machine in the Sega arcade trying to grab a ff7 Cactus statue. In any case your Video link has inspired me to play Yakuza Zero through to 6 over the next few moths, Hell I'll play Ishin while I'm at it.

@Z1MZUMI've been to Book Off many times and I'm always surprised to see so many rare PS1 games for sale in mint condition for less than 500 yen. On ebay their prices are ridiculous. I've never been to Hard-off but will definitely check it out when I visit Japan again. 

Edited by noahez92

Just now, noahez92 said:

I've been to Book Off many times and I'm always surprised to see so many rare PS1 games for sale in mint condition for less than 500 yen. On ebay their prices are ridiculous. I've never been to Hard-off but will definitely check it out when I visit Japan again. 

Book off is fantastic, I bought Yakuza Kiwami new for $15 from one of the book offs in Sapporo in 2016. The final fanatasy collection on Ps1 for a few dollars and several SFC carts along with an iPad. In any case how great is Book Off? I look for their shops everywhere and don't think I've left one empty handed.

19 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Book off is fantastic, I bought Yakuza Kiwami new for $15 from one of the book offs in Sapporo in 2016. The final fanatasy collection on Ps1 for a few dollars and several SFC carts along with an iPad. In any case how great is Book Off? I look for their shops everywhere and don't think I've left one empty handed.

@Z1MZUM Yeah Book-Off has a plethora of DVDs, CDs and games. Depending on which Book-off you go to, each floor has its own category all individually labeled. I used to go to Super Potato (even did a video there but have yet to upload) in Akihabara but their prices have gone up since 2012. I carried two large carry-on bags full of retro games/magazines/guides since they were so cheap but now they're pretty pricey. I saw Abe 99 (Japanese version of Abe's Exoddus) for a thousand $US and a mint Rockman for about $500 US. The standard games are about 2000 yen or so depending on the condition. Most PS1/Saturn games have those spine cards but you can easily find them inside the CD cases if you go to Book-Off. 

Edited by noahez92

Much to my disappointment, when I visited Don Quijote in 2012 and 2016 (and later in 2017 although I didn't document my visit) the infamous jingle was never played. You may hear a short 'Don Quijote' stinger once in a while but nothing that resembles the games. 

• Like 1

One of the things that made the Yakuza (Ryu ga Gotoku) games great were the product placements. Although product placements are considered blatant when it comes to movies, I always thought they were cool in games.

Without them, I would have never been able to discover places like:

Karaoke-kan (the karaoke place in the Yakuza games)

Shinjuku Batting Center (Batting cages in the Yakuza main games)

Nadai Fujisoba (featured in Yakuza 6)

Nadai Fujisoba Kiwami 2

Daikoko Drugstore (featured in Yakuza 5 and Yakuza 0)

PIZZA-LA (Kiryu has his own pizza delivery substory in Yakuza 0)

Gindaco Takoyaki (Yakuza 6)

APA Hotel (Yakuza 6)

Pronto Bar (featured in Yakuza 3 onwards)

Edited by noahez92
  • Like 1

Oops forgot about Matsuya! (featured in Yakuza 2 onwards)

What's interesting about Matsuya was its marketing campaign during the Yakuza 4 and Yakuza 5 promotional period. There was a Yakuza 4 Kiryu-inspired curry base that you can purchase at the store as well as a Yakuza 5 Haruka inspired curry. It was probably a nod to Yakuza 3 since Kiryu would always cook curry for the Morning Glory orphanage. Since Yakuza 0, Matsuya has been absent in Kamurocho (presumably due to licensing expiration).

Edited by noahez92
  • Like 1

Had the chance to watch all the videos now and it was a blast. I was hoping to walk past you since I was last in Tokyo/Shibuya/Shinjuku etc in april/May 2016. Started Playing Zero for real this time and I didn't know until now that it is also set in Osaka. I haven't questioned it really until now, But whats with the similar but made up names for locations? Anyway, Well done with you videos.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Had the chance to watch all the videos now and it was a blast. I was hoping to walk past you since I was last in Tokyo/Shibuya/Shinjuku etc in april/May 2016. Started Playing Zero for real this time and I didn't know until now that it is also set in Osaka. I haven't questioned it really until now, But whats with the similar but made up names for locations? Anyway, Well done with you videos.

Glad you liked the videos man. Thank you. I was still in the States finishing my degree in May 2016. I filmed the 2016 and 2017 Locations Tour in late November-early December 2016/2017. Having read an old famitsu article years ago Toshihiro Nagoshi (director of the series) wanted the team to replicate Kabukicho (and other cities in later games) with their own fictional 'flair'. The street names are similar but entirely made-up. They wanted to keep the most recognizable parts of Kabukicho the same but of course changing certain aspects to make the experience unique for the player. Not everything in Kamurocho is accessible in Kabukicho (vice versa).

I guess its similar to Grand Theft Auto where Liberty City = New York City. 

Part of me likes to believe that the REAL reason is because Sega is afraid that people might think Kabukicho isn't safe (may negatively affect the country's tourism etc) since there are yakuzas and street punks waiting for a fight on every corner. 

8 hours ago, noahez92 said:

Glad you liked the videos man. Thank you. I was still in the States finishing my degree in May 2016. I filmed the 2016 and 2017 Locations Tour in late November-early December 2016/2017. Having read an old famitsu article years ago Toshihiro Nagoshi (director of the series) wanted the team to replicate Kabukicho (and other cities in later games) with their own fictional 'flair'. The street names are similar but entirely made-up. They wanted to keep the most recognizable parts of Kabukicho the same but of course changing certain aspects to make the experience unique for the player. Not everything in Kamurocho is accessible in Kabukicho (vice versa).

I guess its similar to Grand Theft Auto where Liberty City = New York City. 

Part of me likes to believe that the REAL reason is because Sega is afraid that people might think Kabukicho isn't safe (may negatively affect the country's tourism etc) since there are yakuzas and street punks waiting for a fight on every corner. 

That part of you is probably on the money, I don't think I've been anywhere as safe as Japan tbh. It is a strange sensation to visit a country you recognize from playing video games and then see that the places you have already been to as a digital character are real, though not a video game. I had the same sensation with Los Angeles after the GTA series and particularly Santa Monica and Downtown.

Kind of related, I've stayed in a few APA hotels in a couple of country towns in Japan. There will always be Origami creations on top of your towel when you check in.

Agreed. In fact the locals keep very much to themselves and as long as you respect and try to assimilate, you'll be fine. While filming these videos most of them didn't want to distrupt by walking past the camera so they either waited or they would walk pass and bow (to apologize I guess). Its all about etiquette in the end. Nightlife is a totally different animal in Tokyo. In fact, in my last visit I saw a lot more 'officers' (can't tell if they're local law enforcements or security guards patrolling the area) around. 

Ah the origami. While I was filming the Sega Shijuku episode, the lady at the counter made me a nice origami of a Orizuru because I purchased a few Ryu ga Gotoku items and told her about how much of a Sega fan I am.

Edited by noahez92

Much appreciated thanks to these gaming publications for spreading the word on the Location Tour videos: Game Informer, Destructoid, CTRL Gamer and EpicNetwork.

Game Informer: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2018/03/27/check-out-this-youtube-series-touring-real-life-locations-in-the-yakuza-series.aspx

Destructoid: https://www.destructoid.com/new-video-series-investigates-real-life-yakuza-game-locations-496260.phtml

CTRL Gamer/EPICNETWORK (Spanish): http://myepicnet.com/entry/una-nueva-serie-de-videos-investiga-las-locaciones-de-yakuza

• 2 weeks later...